Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why did a lot of people hate misunderstood when it first came out? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70665)

Adam Bendelow 12-16-2019 11:37 PM

Why did a lot of people hate misunderstood when it first came out?

It's a really good song, one of the best from bounce.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Dave 1986 12-19-2019 02:41 AM

I've always been fond of the song but I get why a lot of people didn't like it at the time. The Bounce era (for those existing fans who remember) was part of the early stages of the bands music deterioating from more traditional-sounding rock 'n' roll to a more radio-fiendly pop-rock sound to try and appeal to a younger generation and to stay relevant and "Misunderstood" pretty much epitomises that. Though some might argue that way of marketing themselves could have started as early as the These Days era.

As I've said before, I liked Bounce when it first came out and it's still my most revisited post-2000 Bon Jovi album . "Misunderstood" is not one of the better ones for me but I still enjoy hearing it on occasion, particularly the single version.

YOVANAfromPeru 12-19-2019 03:40 AM

Easy... Because the "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

Jovi98 12-19-2019 02:41 PM

Instead I love every song from the Bounce album...

Adam Bendelow 12-19-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1260397)
Easy... Because the "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

Yeah I'll admit that the "I" is a bit repetitive.

Captain Walrus 12-20-2019 09:58 PM

It was a bit misunderstood

Adam Bendelow 12-20-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1260420)
It was a bit misunderstood

No pun intended lol.

NicoRourke 12-22-2019 11:55 AM

I’ve always liked the song, but the single version that was mixed differently. I’ve used it to replace the album version.

steel_horse75 12-23-2019 09:29 AM

It's a filler song that isn't really a single

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Walleris 12-23-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoRourke (Post 1260440)
I’ve always liked the song, but the single version that was mixed differently. I’ve used it to replace the album version.

I liked the single version better too.

To me, I think it's a fine song, catchy and all. Not their best and certainly not their worst. It's not like the whole Bounce album had any strong singles really, so I think it's was an OK choice to be the second single.

I wasn't a fan at the time, but if I had to imagine at 2002 there were still a bunch of spandex heavy metal fans that were still attached to Bon Jovi that would have been very disappointed that their beloved band is "not a rock band anymore". I figure that if this song was released in 2019, it would be received much better by the fanbase (not by the general public), because of its general catchiness.

rickysambo 12-24-2019 06:03 AM

Well, I remember there being a great, funny video for it which is no longer available on YouTube.

bonjovi90 12-24-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1260454)
Well, I remember there being a great, funny video for it which is no longer available on YouTube.

ajf33 12-24-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickysambo (Post 1260454)

yes it is! -
edit - but only on youtube itself!

Dave 1986 12-24-2019 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1260451)
I wasn't a fan at the time, but if I had to imagine at 2002 there were still a bunch of spandex heavy metal fans that were still attached to Bon Jovi that would have been very disappointed that their beloved band is "not a rock band anymore".

That's pretty much it but I doubt there were too many of 'those' types of fans left by 2002. :p Particularly with Bon Jovi as they'd long since moved away from that sound/image anyway.

But that era was awkward for fans worried about their favourite rock band not being a rock band anymore as you described. Particularly if, like me, you'd discovered them from "It's My Life", then spent the period between Crush and Bounce backtracked through their catalogue, realising how awesome their earlier albums were and wondering why they're now releasing songs like "Misunderstood". I remember thinking at the time, maybe they're easing the then-new generation of fans in with radio-friendly pop/rock singles/albums then eventually get back to rocking again. They never did ofcourse.

Adam Bendelow 12-24-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1260461)
That's pretty much it but I doubt there were too many of 'those' types of fans left by 2002. [emoji14] Particularly with Bon Jovi as they'd long since moved away from that sound/image anyway.

But that era was awkward for fans worried about their favourite rock band not being a rock band anymore as you described. Particularly if, like me, you'd discovered them from "It's My Life", then spent the period between Crush and Bounce backtracked through their catalogue, realising how awesome their earlier albums were and wondering why they're now releasing songs like "Misunderstood". I remember thinking at the time, maybe they're easing the then-new generation of fans in with radio-friendly pop/rock singles/albums then eventually get back to rocking again. They never did ofcourse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say on the cd single that it was a radio friendly song?

Dave 1986 12-25-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Bendelow (Post 1260462)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say on the cd single that it was a radio friendly song?

It probably did, but that wasn’t the point I was making.

JackieBlue 12-25-2019 03:47 AM

First time I heard it was on the TLFR DVD and I loved it. But I was disappointed in all the versions I heard after that because they didn't whisper, "Damn"; and that was what had originally caught my attention in the DVD version.

rickysambo 12-25-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1260456)

Thanks! Its even on the official account, I see. I must have searched through my work computer which filters some content off youtube.