Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Review of BJ box set (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=37841)

Captain_jovi 11-28-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Saturday Night (Post 709225)
1998 is the latest I can imagine for that song. The mention of flying high like Michael Jordan tells me that the latest this song could've been recorded is 1998 since that's when MJ retired, and a line like that wouldn't work unless he was active.

I never even considered that, good point. I still think the song was heavily influenced by that one hit Shawn Mullins had. It just SOUNDS like a late 90's track. It's not like the band to recycle old tracks for b-sides. The only exception that comes to mind was Fields of Fire but that's it. They write enough that they wouldn't use an album left over 5 years later as a b-side.

pwnedshot117 11-28-2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 709235)
I never even considered that, good point. I still think the song was heavily influenced by that one hit Shawn Mullins had. It just SOUNDS like a late 90's track. It's not like the band to recycle old tracks for b-sides. The only exception that comes to mind was Fields of Fire but that's it. They write enough that they wouldn't use an album left over 5 years later as a b-side.

Well considering that Ordinary People (demo) is found on one of the Crush singles (I think it was Say it Isn't So), I'd guess it was written for Crush/DA.

Mr. Saturday Night 11-28-2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 709235)

Yah I agree on it not being from These Days. I'd peg it as 1997 or early 1998 and written for DA.

It sounds a bit similar to Lullaby but also similar to tons of other late-90's songs. So I could envision there being no connection between the two.

Captain_jovi 11-28-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnedshot117 (Post 709244)
Well considering that Ordinary People (demo) is found on one of the Crush singles (I think it was Say it Isn't So), I'd guess it was written for Crush/DA.

See, that's what I'd spent the last 4 years believing but now we hear Temptation and Ordinary People are TD left overs, which just boggles my mind.

Captain_jovi 11-28-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Saturday Night (Post 709250)
Yah I agree on it not being from These Days. I'd peg it as 1997 or early 1998 and written for DA.

It sounds a bit similar to Lullaby but also similar to tons of other late-90's songs. So I could envision there being no connection between the two.

I hear a big connection, there's no doubt in my mind it was influenced by it and it's nice to hear Jon finally admit it. The spoken word verses are just so similar, there's no way OP came from '95. But even saying that, it's still in my top 10 Jovi songs so meh.

bonsab 11-28-2006 03:30 PM

Ordinary people was written in the these days era, along with the end and flesh and bones, those three song was written by jbj, richie and david brian.

Captain_jovi 11-28-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonsab (Post 709384)
Ordinary people was written in the these days era, along with the end and flesh and bones, those three song was written by jbj, richie and david brian.

But what are you basing this one? Something the band said on the dvd/press interviews for the box set? Jon first said Why aren't you dead is from Crush and it isn't, why is this any different.

Cuchulainn 11-28-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 709251)
See, that's what I'd spent the last 4 years believing but now we hear Temptation and Ordinary People are TD left overs, which just boggles my mind.

i dont think Temptation was a TD left over i have the Demo version of it on an Its My Life single! and Ordinary People to be sounds like a Crush cast off more than a DA. Good song tho!

Captain_jovi 11-28-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuchulainn (Post 709412)
i dont think Temptation was a TD left over i have the Demo version of it on an Its My Life single! and Ordinary People to be sounds like a Crush cast off more than a DA. Good song tho!

Both Temptation and Ordinary People were Crush b-sides. Which just furthers my case that they're not TD songs. I never considered OP to be a DA song. Anything with a Richie co-wrote, or when you can clearly hear him playing/singing isn't a Jon solo song.

Cuchulainn 11-28-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 709414)
Both Temptation and Ordinary People were Crush b-sides. Which just furthers my case that they're not TD songs. I never considered OP to be a DA song. Anything with a Richie co-wrote, or when you can clearly hear him playing/singing isn't a Jon solo song.

lol chill im backing you up!! lol