Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   So I saw Def Leppard the other night...... (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53226)

danfan 07-04-2011 11:46 AM

So I saw Def Leppard the other night......

I've seen them probably a dozen or so times in the past. Always been one of my favorite groups. A few notes from the show:

1.They sounded EXACTLY like they do on Mirrorball. Since when does Joe Elliot sound so good live? Either it was playback, or this is the tightest band I've ever seen.

2.Sav - It's not 1987 anymore dude. Lose the do.

3.Phil - Put a damn shirt on, spit out the gum, and stop prancing around like you're a God.

4.Maybe I'm just getting old, but they need new sound techs. It was like listening to the loudest radio possible with the treble turned up to the highest level possible. My ears are still ringing.

5.Richie and Hugh could learn a thing or 2 from Sav, Vivian and Phil in terms of utilizing the entire stage.

FTR, Heart opened up. I've always been a fan but never seen them live. They were fantastic. Sounded great, and let's face it, Nancy Wilson is one of the sexiest rock chics ever.

sambos apprentice 07-04-2011 03:07 PM

twice i've walked out on def leppard.

Joe elliot is a dreadful frontman.

dcj28 07-04-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1063092)
I've seen them probably a dozen or so times in the past. Always been one of my favorite groups. A few notes from the show:

2.Sav - It's not 1987 anymore dude. Lose the do.

Its like the next 2 decades havent come yet with Rick Savage.

danfan 07-05-2011 12:00 AM

I gotta find out if they're really playing or not on this tour. I've seen them many times. Sometimes, Joe is OK. Others, he's awful. He sounded just too perfect thia time.

SamboraQueen21 07-05-2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1063092)
3.Phil - Put a damn shirt on, spit out the gum, and stop prancing around like you're a God.

haha i saw them a few years and both Phil AND Vivian were prancing around sans shirts....i was like ugh! pale, white, pasty, aging rockers do not need to be shirtless on stage lol

Miracle 07-05-2011 05:02 AM

They are playing in Toronto in August. I was thinking of going. Definitely want to see Heart.

Captain_jovi 07-05-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle (Post 1063208)
They are playing in Toronto in August. I was thinking of going. Definitely want to see Heart.

I wanna go, mainly to see Def Lep. You thinking what I'm thinking?

danfan 07-06-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1063254)

Bring ear plugs.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 07-06-2011 06:14 PM

Def Lep and Heart are touring Oz later this year. Saw Def Lep in 2008, I enjoyed it (and Joe sounded ok) but I'm undecided on whether I'd go again.

danfan 07-06-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 1063336)
Def Lep and Heart are touring Oz later this year. Saw Def Lep in 2008, I enjoyed it (and Joe sounded ok) but I'm undecided on whether I'd go again.

Heart was worth it. Their set was great. From what I recall:

Never
What About Love
These Dreams
Alone
You're The Voice
Barracuda
Magic Man
WTF
Crazy On You

Couple others I didn't know.

Javier 07-06-2011 08:42 PM

lol!!
I had a lot of those same thoughts when I saw them live on the Yeah! tour. Sav just looks like an aging transexual Barbie doll, Phil is just keen to let everyone know he works out, a lot!! By the end of the night Viv was shirtless too, but he looked like a carpet salesman with a sample up front......

Captain_jovi 07-06-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1063362)
lol!!
I had a lot of those same thoughts when I saw them live on the Yeah! tour. Sav just looks like an aging transexual Barbie doll, Phil is just keen to let everyone know he works out, a lot!! By the end of the night Viv was shirtless too, but he looked like a carpet salesman with a sample up front......

Hahahahaha.

Jayster 07-07-2011 01:48 AM

I see the setlist is only 15 songs long on this tour?! 16 if you're lucky.

They played 24 when I saw them in 2003.

Dylan plays 16/17 and he's 70! What are they playing at?

Bleeding Purist 07-07-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayster (Post 1063408)
I see the setlist is only 15 songs long on this tour?! 16 if you're lucky.

They played 24 when I saw them in 2003.

Dylan plays 16/17 and he's 70! What are they playing at?

Co-headlining. That's why. It is very little incentive for me to go. The X tour does seem to have been the pinnacle.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 07-07-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1063344)
Heart was worth it. Their set was great. From what I recall:

Never
What About Love
These Dreams
Alone
You're The Voice
Barracuda
Magic Man
WTF
Crazy On You

Couple others I didn't know.

Hmm might check them out then. Cheap Trick were pretty good support/co-headliners last time.

bjcrazycpa 07-08-2011 10:04 PM

I was just about to buy a ticket to the PNC Arts Center show in NJ on July 14th but as of yesterday they cancelled this show and others due to some family issue, I believe. I really wanted to see Heart!

Nige 07-09-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1063602)
I was just about to buy a ticket to the PNC Arts Center show in NJ on July 14th but as of yesterday they cancelled this show and others due to some family issue, I believe. I really wanted to see Heart!

Sadly Joe's father died-hence the cancelling.

Miracle 07-09-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1063254)

I really need to check in here more. I think we definitely need to go to this concert.

PS don't forget about the Trews and Beerfest!

Captain_jovi 07-10-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle (Post 1063690)
I really need to check in here more. I think we definitely need to go to this concert.

PS don't forget about the Trews and Beerfest!

Ok I'll keep you posted on both. I have a job interview in Toronto on Wednesday so it'd make going to things like this muuuuch easier.

Bleeding Purist 07-10-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1063718)
Ok I'll keep you posted on both. I have a job interview in Toronto on Wednesday so it'd make going to things like this muuuuch easier.

Good luck! That sounds great!

Savvi 07-11-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenobi_on_a_prayer (Post 1063414)
Hmm might check them out then. Cheap Trick were pretty good support/co-headliners last time.

Cheap Trick were pretty good.

Are you going this time round Lee-Ann? I got my tickets in the mail last week. Really pumped for the Lep as well as Heart.

wolffex 07-12-2011 04:12 PM

im going, and I’ll also be seeing Journey… sucks Foo Fighters are playing the same day as Journey at ACC but Journey has a killer lineup with Foreigner and Night Ranger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miracle (Post 1063208)

Savvi 10-16-2011 01:14 PM

Def Leppard were awesome last night! They were a little better than I expected. Just as good when I saw them a few years ago on the Sparkle Lounge tour.

Heart were amazing as well. What a voice she has!

Setlist was

1. Undefeated
2. Let's Get Rocked
3. Animal
4. Foolin'
5. Let It Go
6. Make Love Like a Man
7. Love Bites
8. Rock On (David Essex cover)
9. Rocket
10. Two Steps Behind
11. Bringin' on the Heartbreak
12. Switch 625
13. Hysteria
14. Armageddon It
15. Photograph
16. Pour Some Sugar on Me

Encore:
17. Rock of Ages

Roxannah 10-27-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1075539)
1. Undefeated
2. Let's Get Rocked
3. Animal
4. Foolin'
5. Let It Go
6. Make Love Like a Man
7. Love Bites
9. Rocket
10. Two Steps Behind
12. Switch 625
13. Hysteria
14. Armageddon It
15. Photograph

Encore:
17. Rock of Ages

here's another band suffering from post-2000 stress :D i'm glad you enjoyed the show, pretty gutted i won't be able to see them this tour.

Bleeding Purist 10-27-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1076093)
here's another band suffering from post-2000 stress :D i'm glad you enjoyed the show, pretty gutted i won't be able to see them this tour.

I look at that setlist and all I see are two songs that aren't more than 18 years old.... one is a cover and the other makes me gag violently. Anyone who complains about Bon Jovi's sets needs to review this.

Javier 10-27-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1076098)
I look at that setlist and all I see are two songs that aren't more than 18 years old.... one is a cover and the other makes me gag violently. Anyone who complains about Bon Jovi's sets needs to review this.

that's why I laugh whenever there's a Joe Elliot interview on and he goes on about how his band is above Motley or Poison. Ok, maybe musically speaking they always have been, but in terms of present status, they're pretty much the same...

Bleeding Purist 10-27-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1076101)
that's why I laugh whenever there's a Joe Elliot interview on and he goes on about how his band is above Motley or Poison. Ok, maybe musically speaking they always have been, but in terms of present status, they're pretty much the same...

Exactly! They have really gone south for me and won't be seeing me at their shows until they do a real album that uses their talents and then proceed to play said album live.....not peddle tripe they think their fans want and then play the track that reeks the most.

Roxannah 10-27-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1076098)

it's astonishing how there isn't a single song off Slang or Euphoria, to say the least. i don't like Promises all that much, but if i remember correctly it did alright.

the only justification i find for a setlist like this is they aren't touring a studio album at the moment. i guess this song selection is a consequence of the awful selection of songs on Mirrorball (although they could still have played one of the three Sparkle Lounge songs and didn't).

Dave 1986 10-28-2011 12:06 AM

Yea it's quite sad how they've already disowned Sparkle Lounge after just 3 years.

Savvi 10-28-2011 02:22 AM

Yeah I agree about Bon Jovi being one of the only rock bands who continually change there setlist and Im still surprised at how many people complain about it. Granted some setlists are nearly identical, but there are plenty of songs in rotation on a Jovi tour than most other bands.

The only rotations that are being made on the Mirrorball tour are Make Love Like a Man, Let It Go and Gods of War. I'm with Roxannah, I wish songs like Promises would get played (I love that song!). And yes, Sparkle Lounge was a half decent album, they should kill it off already.

Still though, I had a blast. They are a great live act, despite the lack of setlist changes.

Captain_jovi 10-28-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1076143)
Yea it's quite sad how they've already disowned Sparkle Lounge after just 3 years.

I don't think it's specific to that album. They almost disown the album they're touring for, at least since Euphoria forwards.

Bleeding Purist 10-28-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1076153)
The only rotations that are being made on the Mirrorball tour are Make Love Like a Man, Let It Go and Gods of War.

I had no idea they were playing Gods of War, which I'd certainly want to hear if I did go see them (I'm sure I'd get Make Love Like A Man, which would send me for beer... let me review that setlist again..... yup.. that's a lot of beer runs.)

Bleeding Purist 10-28-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1076108)
it's astonishing how there isn't a single song off Slang or Euphoria, to say the least. i don't like Promises all that much, but if i remember correctly it did alright.

the only justification i find for a setlist like this is they aren't touring a studio album at the moment. i guess this song selection is a consequence of the awful selection of songs on Mirrorball (although they could still have played one of the three Sparkle Lounge songs and didn't).

I wish I could say that is their excuse, but it isn't. On my Sparkle Lounge tourdate that I saw here in Southern Cali.. the only new song we got was Nine Lives, a song I refuse to acknowledge is in existence. The rest was the same drivel as on this tour with Mirror, Mirror being the only exception (which was nice to hear since I love that song, but honestly.. it didn't go over well and it didn't rock my world either for some reason.)

Bleeding Purist 10-28-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1076155)
I don't think it's specific to that album. They almost disown the album they're touring for, at least since Euphoria forwards.

FUKK, what I wouldn't give to actually go back to the days of Euphoria and X for the fact that they were playing at least 4 songs from those albums. Euphoria got Demolition Man, Promises, Paper Sun, and Goodbye regularly with 21st Century Girl here and there later on. X had Now, You're So Beautiful, Four Letter Word, and Long Long Way to Go <gag>.

At the time, it bothered me because when Pyromania was brand new... well the short way to put it is they didn't play Die Hard, Action, Comin Under Fire, and Too Late, while the rest of the album was played every night. Then Hysteria comes along and Women, Animal, Sugar, Armageddon It, Gods of War, and Hysteria all become staples as well as stepping back to Pyromania to give Too Late and Die Hard their due. Then on to Adrenalize which saw Let's Get Rocked, Tear It Down, White Lightening, Have You Ever, and Make Love Like A Man.. while throwing in Two Steps Behind and again, stepping back to the previous album to make Rocket and Love Bites set staples.

They were covering the bases back then. That was the kind of approach I needed from my bands. At the time it was just a matter of playing the new album live. When they toured for Hysteria and it was still struggling to take off sales-wise, they didn't just play a set heavy on Pyromania while playing Animal, which is exactly what they would do today.

Savvi 10-28-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1076161)
I had no idea they were playing Gods of War, which I'd certainly want to hear if I did go see them (I'm sure I'd get Make Love Like A Man, which would send me for beer... let me review that setlist again..... yup.. that's a lot of beer runs.)

Yeah I was surprised when I saw Gods of War pop up a few times in setlists as well. The lack of song rotation is pretty terrible though.

Setlist.fm (although incomplete and not 100% accurate) gives a good estimate on how many times a song has been played over the tour (only showing the shows that people have uploaded the setlists themselves).

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/def-lepp...ur=Mirror+Ball

Make Love Like a Man, Gods of War and Let It Go are the songs in rotation, with Action (the Sweet cover, not their song), When Love and Hate Collide, Wasted and Cmon Cmon being extreme rarities.

Savvi 10-28-2011 03:17 PM

I also went to the Def Leppard show in 2008. The setlist difference is minimal...

2011 Perth Setlist
1. Undefeated
2. Let's Get Rocked
3. Animal
4. Foolin'
5. Let It Go
6. Make Love Like a Man
7. Love Bites
9. Rocket
10. Two Steps Behind
12. Switch 625
13. Hysteria
14. Armageddon It
15. Photograph

Encore:
17. Rock of Ages

2008 Perth Setlist
1. Rocket
2. Animal
3. C'mon C'mon
4. Foolin'
5. Make Love Like a Man
6. Nine Lives
7. Love Bites
8. Two Steps Behind
9. Bringin' on the Heartbreak
10. Switch 625
11. Hysteria
12. Armageddon It
13. Photograph
14. Pour Some Sugar on Me
15. Rock of Ages

Encore:
16. Bad Actress
17. Let's Get Rocked

I do love this band but they really need to switch things up a bit regarding the setlist. Having said that, they are a great live band.

Roxannah 10-28-2011 04:24 PM

you got Foolin' ... twice! i hate you :p i got the same 3 Sparkle Lounge songs:

Manchester 2008

01. Rocket
02. C'mon C'mon
03. Animal
04. Nine Lives
05. Make Love Like A Man
06. When Love & Hate Collide
07. Bass Solo
08. Rock On
09. Two Steps Behind
10. Bringin' On The Heartbreak
11. Hysteria
12. Armageddon It
13. Photograph
14. Pour Some Sugar On Me
15. Rock Of Ages
Encore:
16. Bad Actress
17. Let's Get Rocked

C'mon C'mon went down really well. i don't mind Nine Lives or Bad Actress, but i'd rather have Go, which i reckon would be a great opener, Cruise Control, that has a very Slang feel to it and/or Gotta Let It Go. again, no songs off Slang, Euphoria or X. Mirrorball hasn't got a single track off these 3 albums either. sounds like a plan to write them off their career. whatever i think of Promises or Slang (the song), they should've made it to Mirrorball and should be staples. and i agree with you guys, Gods Of War would be totally epic.

looks like they're going down the "nostalgia band" road, which is something that really puts me off. they're so much better than that. i'd still go see them though. i still love them and they put on a fantastic show. if they toured Portugal again that is, which they don't since 1996. they're not touring Spain either and UK's shows are in December, which sadly makes it impossible for me to go.

Dave 1986 10-28-2011 07:35 PM

I was ecstatic when they played Wasted at Download this year. I also got Foolin', Let it Go, Love Bites and Switch 625. apart from LiG, the others I'd never heard the previous 2 gigs I've been to. I got Promises in 2006 though.

Savvi 11-13-2011 11:33 AM

Aw man! Women, Slang, Rock Rock (Til You Drop), When Love & Hate Collide and Gods of War have all become staples in the setlist for the Japan shows! Unfair!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-4bd1976a.html

Plus in the final Tokyo show they played Another Hit & Run, High & Dry and Wasted.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-43d18ff3.html

Roxannah 11-20-2011 01:57 PM

Women was my favourite Lepp song for a looong time and i love seeing Gods of War as a staple and Wasted in the set.

i've been crying and crying for months now that i'm not going to any shows. i still had to try and make it happen somehow and i found a way! so i'm going to Manchester's show on the 11th but i'm flying from/to a city 4 hours away from Lisbon (flights from Lisbon were super expensive) and i have to be in Lisbon the day after as i'm going to another show. it's a bit crazy and it's going to be logistically challenging, also because i still haven't got a clue when i'm going to sleep, but it's all good :) now they better give me Foolin' and Gods of War for sure, and if i had Women, so to speak, it would be amazing.