Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=69811)

Becky 01-12-2017 07:20 AM

Eveline, we are not disagreeing. I think we can both agree Jon and Richie lost their creative connection for now and they are both making better music without each other than the stagnant music they were making together where it seems like they felt like they had to say something universal rather than personal. I personally don't care about Richie's solo work. I didn't find it any different than bon Jovi by great significance, so I can live without it. But if his fans are happy with it, great. There is no competition IMHO. There's room for everyone.

Maybe one day they will want to work together again when they have something to say again. If the Eagles and Guns n Roses could do it.....

Gabriel Shoes 01-12-2017 01:12 PM

There's a lot of people here (including me) that think KTF/CR/TD was their peak as artists. I do think These Days has something more over their other records, specially in songwriting, but if you stop to think about it, if they didn't do KTF and TD exactly the way those albums are, I bet Bon Jovi wouldn't survive the 90s. So, Crush has the same factor, if they didn't chose to go this route, I can hardly see Bon Jovi surviving de 2000s.

At the end of the day, Bon Jovi was just trying to survive, even if it was 90s or 2000s, Hey God or It's My Life, These Days or Say It Isn't So, This Ain't A Love Song or Thank You For Loving Me.

Myguitar 02-08-2017 07:10 PM

I think Jon brought in Shanks to make the band more "relevant" in today's pop scene. I cringe every time I hear auto-tune, but I die a little when it's Jovi. It's not the man himself, it's his production that's bad and has altered BJ's sound.

The band is very stagnant, THINFS is a very, very poor album, but it's consistent with the past 5 records or so, and it shows where the stagnation really is - Jon and John.
Richie is out doing his own thing and from the snippets we get here and there I think it sounds fresher, it's original, and more to form than anything Bon Jovi's done for a while. I'm looking forward to that album to really see what's what.

steel_horse75 02-08-2017 11:08 PM

Did John Shanks ruin Bon Jovi?

I'll be a lot happier when Richie and Jbj sort this out and he's back in the band.
Nothing against Phil x who is a great player or Shanks but their not Bon jovi.
Seeing just 3 original members makes me sad.
THINFS is a good album but imagine how much better it'd sound with a rejuvenated Richie on.
Also for me it's no coincidence that since Shanks has been associated with the band the standard of music has dropped significantly

Alphavictim 02-09-2017 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1216822)
Jon has way more to say without Richie than he's had to say with him in a very long time.

At least judging by THINFS, Job has more to say about Richie than anything else.

Eveline 02-09-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1217480)
At least judging by THINFS, Job has more to say about Richie than anything else.

This! There are, however, a few songs with Richie in mind to be skilfully avoided on the tour...or maybe not ;]

cqleonardo 02-11-2017 02:53 AM

maybe, I think is a bad idea to keep the same staff besides the band on a lot of records, new production and engineers always can make the band sound new and fresh, I wanted at least 2 albums without Shanks, I wanted Bob Rock back, I don't know whats he is doing nowadays, I don't listen to anything he did since St Anger but I think he could give Bon Jovi a nice hard rock feeling again

Jeeper 02-17-2017 05:03 PM

Jon's reliance on a producer he feels comfortable around and who can help mask his vocal decline, is the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonjovi43v3r 09-11-2018 09:22 PM

Burning Bridges and THINFS aren’t that good either if you’re throwing inThr Circle as a disliked album. At least The Circle had a few songs that were reminiscent of older Bon Jovi tunes.

Captain_jovi 09-11-2018 09:29 PM

Locking this thread, someone just started another one with the same topic.