Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What If Crossroad were a double album? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70714)

Nige 06-16-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1264804)
I'm answering my own question and going with the final version of the first recording... Maybe not mixed and mastered but definitely too much going on to just be a demo.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I'm not sure tbh, but those backing vocals sound very demo-y to my ears.

bonjovi90 06-16-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1264806)
I'm not sure tbh, but those backing vocals sound very demo-y to my ears.

That box set version was recorded in the UK in 1993 and I think it was the one Jon intended to give to the film - until he saw the movie.
Maybe it was a rough version in terms of showing the producers how the song was going to be and Jon would've reworked it, had he liked the movie.
So somewhere in-between a complete demo and a finished one.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Dave 1986 06-16-2020 12:53 PM

What If Crossroad were a double album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 1264793)
Even though nobody cares about my tracklist, I'm happy to stir up a debate about golden old times.

Sorry, thanks to me and a few others, your thread has turned into something else.

I do like your track list for a Disc 2 and I think if Cross Road we’re to have been a double album instead of, or as well as, what was released, your track list would have pretty much been it.

When talking about this, I can’t help but think of Def Leppard’s 2004 Best Of album which the single disc version was the hits, then the 2CD version where the 2nd disc had not-so-hit singles and album tracks. But that was 25 years/10 albums into their career, which then brings me back to the argument of why Cross Road only ever needed to be one disc.

Faceman 06-16-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1264807)
Maybe it was a rough version in terms of showing the producers how the song was going to be and Jon would've reworked it, had he liked the movie.

I don't think it was too rough of a version.
It seems pretty finished with a nice bass-line/licks (or whatever you wanna call those little slides in between) and even an acoustic guitar solo.
The demos or rough demos we are used to from the band usually don't have those kind of details.

bonjovi90 06-16-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1264809)
I don't think it was too rough of a version.

It seems pretty finished with a nice bass-line/licks (or whatever you wanna call those little slides in between) and even an acoustic guitar solo.

The demos or rough demos we are used to from the band usually don't have those kind of details.

I'd also say it's too far fleshed out for a pure demo. And backing vocals could've been lifted from a demo if they were regarded as that good. They did the same on the These Days record.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Johny 06-16-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1264795)
I didn't realise when I posted it but my tracklisting is verytsimilar to yours albeit in a different order!

Yep, we obviously used very similar logic :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1264805)
Jon said the title was because the band had reached a crossroads or cross road in their career. They knew These Days would sound much different to previous releases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

English is obviously not my first language so help me out here please. Is a cross road and a crossroad the same? When I search dictionaries I can't find a cross road, only a crossroad without the space. Does it have any special meaning or difference compared to the one-word version?

You write about something different. A crossroads is the intersection where a crossroad crosses the main road, isn't it? :D

So if the name of the album were Crossroads, it would mean they came up to a place where they're choosing what way to go.

If the name is Crossroad, it means that they turned away from the main road to the crossroad, so they've already chosen :) I kinda get the meaning behind but it would make more sense if These Days were called Crossroad than the compilation.

The best name for a compilation would be Crossroads meaning the crossroads in their career.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1264808)
Sorry, thanks to me and a few others, your thread has turned into something else.

I do like your track list for a Disc 2 and I think if Cross Road we’re to have been a double album instead of, or as well as, what was released, your track list would have pretty much been it.

When talking about this, I can’t help but think of Def Leppard’s 2004 Best Of album which the single disc version was the hits, then the 2CD version where the 2nd disc had not-so-hit singles and album tracks. But that was 25 years/10 albums into their career, which then brings me back to the argument of why Cross Road only ever needed to be one disc.

That's fine :) as I've mentioned before, I'm happy that a debate was started ;)

Even though some crucial tracks were missing (BTBMB, Living In Sin, ITA and NSG on US version), they didn't have enough material for a double-disc of just singles or hits. But my list shows that it could have been possible to make one to present the band to the public.

I know what you're talking about mentioning Def Leppard. I've also made my tracklists using that logic which I think is the best one. I've got one double-disc for 1984-1995 and one for (1997)2000 - 2013. I'm wondering if I should start a new topic or put it there :D

steel_horse75 06-16-2020 04:29 PM

@Johny Cross Road and crossroads are the same thing really.
We would say it like this...looking at my career im at a cross road/crossroads.
Means you've come to a point where you have to make a decision...left or right as carry on ahead isn't an option.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk