Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Happy Birthday - Crush (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70024)

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 02:17 AM

Just to clear up a few points I've read...

1. TYFLM was never written for a movie. It was a line used in the Brad Pitt movie, Meet Joe Black that came out a couple years prior. Jon saw the movie, stole the line, and wrote the song. That's It... After IML became a hit, Jon was back on top and thought TYFLM was going to close it out. I remember him saying sometime later that he bet the house on that song becoming a huge hit and lost.

2. Keep The Faith could have and might even have been a solo album if the guys didn't figure it all out... Jon coming off his solo album wrote half of KTF himself... Crush was going in that similar direction however I think the minor difference between the two is, Jon had a different direction in mind with Sex Sells becoming Crush, whereas Revenge and KTF had the same direction... However, both albums are known to be the most inconsistent when it come to song selections. Bounce is a close 3rd because that was reworked too after the events of 911

DryCounty 06-15-2017 01:01 PM

Suprised how many people that dislike Thank You For Loving Me. I think it's a great songs and is probably the last real "power ballad" from Jov. All About Lovin' You, Memory, Amen, Scars hasn't that feel imo. I get that TYFLM isn't up there with Always and Bed of Roses, but without comparing it to this and that it holds up very well.

Stranger11 06-15-2017 02:47 PM

I still remember that time very well. Walking a few miles to the recordstore to buy the IML single & recording everything I was able to find on TV. Jon promoted U-571 and soon after that the promotion for the band started. MTV & other music channels still played loads of BJ so this was a great time for a fan to see a lot of your fave artist.

I remember thinking that there was suddenly a "different" Jon. Maybe he really thought he was about to become a big movie star. It all looked way too polished and stiff to me.

The record itself was a disappointment to me. For starters I thought the booklet was a joke. No lyrics, no nothing. And there were only a handful of songs that I liked right away and I hadnīt experienced that with a Bon Jovi album before.
IML, Say it isnīt so, Two Story town and yes Sheīs a mystery were the only ones I liked right away. The rest grew on me and I became a big fan of OWN after hearing the 2001 version.

Back than it didnīt (couldnīt ?) live up to my expectations but knowing now everything that came afterwards it stands tall on my list.

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger11 (Post 1225283)
I still remember that time very well. Walking a few miles to the recordstore to buy the IML single & recording everything I was able to find on TV. Jon promoted U-571 and soon after that the promotion for the band started. MTV & other music channels still played loads of BJ so this was a great time for a fan to see a lot of your fave artist.

I remember thinking that there was suddenly a "different" Jon. Maybe he really thought he was about to become a big movie star. It all looked way too polished and stiff to me.

The record itself was a disappointment to me. For starters I thought the booklet was a joke. No lyrics, no nothing. And there were only a handful of songs that I liked right away and I hadnīt experienced that with a Bon Jovi album before.
IML, Say it isnīt so, Two Story town and yes Sheīs a mystery were the only ones I liked right away. The rest grew on me and I became a big fan of OWN after hearing the 2001 version.

Back than it didnīt (couldnīt ?) live up to my expectations but knowing now everything that came afterwards it stands tall on my list.

Yep!!! This is a carbon copy of what I would have wrote too... Less your song choices

Rdkopper 06-15-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1225282)
Suprised how many people that dislike Thank You For Loving Me. I think it's a great songs and is probably the last real "power ballad" from Jov. All About Lovin' You, Memory, Amen, Scars hasn't that feel imo. I get that TYFLM isn't up there with Always and Bed of Roses, but without comparing it to this and that it holds up very well.

It's not a terrible song and the live versions do bring some fire to it... I just think Luke did a horrible job producing it...

KeepTheFaith2211 06-16-2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1225213)
The reason why I (and many others here) rank TD and NJ so highly is because their lack of misses, but even they have 99 In The Shade and If That's What It Takes.

You can't be serious?!

Walleris 06-16-2017 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith2211 (Post 1225293)
You can't be serious?!

Do you reply to everyone who doesn't love a song that you do?

I don't hate ITWIT, but on a masterpiece that is These Days, I find it to be a filler. I do admit that it's a much better than your average Jovi filler on an average Jovi album, but it still illustrates that no Jovi record is perfect start-to-finish.

KeepTheFaith2211 06-16-2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1225294)

I don't hate ITWIT, but on a masterpiece that is These Days, I find it to be a filler. I do admit that it's a much better than your average Jovi filler on an average Jovi album, but it still illustrates that no Jovi record is perfect start-to-finish.

I don't know. If you see any posts referring to someone disliking any song, please PM me and I will act accordingly? Thanks. :)

I love the song. I always paired it with 'Hearts Breaking Even' and considered that the weaker song.

steel_horse75 06-16-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleris (Post 1225294)

I find Diamond ring to be the filler on this album. Awful.

Not many albums are perfect from start to finish.

steel_horse75 06-16-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1225282)

For me its just a lazy song.
Stolen words from anther song.
Crap solo
Just dirge