Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Worldwide chart positions (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70773)

Captain_jovi 10-19-2020 11:02 PM

I'm not sure how far into the tour Undivided became a funeral procession or what leg it was but it'd be interesting to find out.

God I'd love to see the non-inflated sales numbers from the last 15 years to actually see how big the decline was.

steel_horse75 10-19-2020 11:35 PM

Bounce was a decent effort - few too many slow songs - but those songs have never seen the light of day live since the tour ended. You might get Everyday every so often but this album has literally been bombed out of existence.
Yet the set became and still is lost highway heavy from 07 and bar a few that’s a really weak album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 10-20-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1269593)
Bounce was a decent effort - few too many slow songs - but those songs have never seen the light of day live since the tour ended. You might get Everyday every so often but this album has literally been bombed out of existence.
Yet the set became and still is lost highway heavy from 07 and bar a few that’s a really weak album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Statistically looking at the albums from 2000 forward, they each have 2 to 3 songs that you're almost guaranteed to get.

Crush - 2
Bounce - 0
HAND - 2
LH - 3 (4 if Memory gets played)
The Circle - 1

The biggest difference between LH and the rest is....they don't HAVE to be played. At least with It's My Life, Have a Nice Day etc they were singles people know. Getting 4 songs from a 2007 album in 2020 is boooonkers.

brunorc21 10-20-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polevka (Post 1269585)
I guess the fanbase never was that big (but of course smaller now). There were just many people who stayed interested as long as there were some hit-singles. The majority of concert goers wants to hear the hits and is not focused on new material. So I don't see it as a contradiction.

Times have changed. I have many friends who still like Bon Jovi, they know more songs than just the big hits, but they just can't be bothered to listen 12 new songs in a row. They sometimes listen one new song, if they like it, they will add on their playlist but even when they do, they don't go for the new album. And to tell you the true, that's exactly what I do with most of the bands now.

I really like Rolling Stones for instance, I'd go for the concerts, watch the documentaries, read about it, listen to a new song once in a while, but no way I will listen a whole new album in a row. Just the really die hards of each band listen their albums right now. Playlists killed the albums for my generation. Sad but true. (I'm 35)

My point it's there's plenty more Bon Jovi fans out there than just the casuals Wanted, Bad Name, Prayer, IML and Always.

Butters 10-20-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunorc21 (Post 1269600)
Times have changed. I have many friends who still like Bon Jovi, they know more songs than just the big hits, but they just can't be bothered to listen 12 new songs in a row. They sometimes listen one new song, if they like it, they will add on their playlist but even when they do, they don't go for the new album. And to tell you the true, that's exactly what I do with most of the bands now.

I really like Rolling Stones for instance, I'd go for the concerts, watch the documentaries, read about it, listen to a new song once in a while, but no way I will listen a whole new album in a row. Just the really die hards of each band listen their albums right now. Playlists killed the albums for my generation. Sad but true. (I'm 35)

My point it's there's plenty more Bon Jovi fans out there than just the casuals Wanted, Bad Name, Prayer, IML and Always.

Agreed. Album sales are no longer a good indicator of how many fans are out there. There are loads of bands/artists that I am a big fan of but I would take little notice of a new album they bring out.

phoenixy 10-20-2020 03:54 PM

From #19 to #145 on Billboard in the US. Holy ****... :/
Fun fact: The greatest hits album is #149 on this week (it spent almost 200 weeks on the chart since its release in 2010).

Supersonic 10-20-2020 08:55 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunorc21 (Post 1269600)
Playlists killed the albums for my generation. Sad but true. (I'm 35)

I'm 36. I still check out full records whenever they're released. Those who don't do so nowadays wouldn't have done so 20 years ago either. It's just that a lot of 35+ year old Bon Jovi fans have given up on this band altogether. I don't know anyone from the It's My Life era who still goes to these shows and buys the albums apart from the odd individuals who'd buy stuff regardless of what's on there.

I'm surprised a Bon Jovi fan like yourself thinks checking out the odd hitsingle is enough when it comes to checking out new music as you'd never have discovered a song like Dry County or Dirty Little Secret by doing this as well. It's why I always check out full records as a single is never an indication of what an album sounds like. With Bon Jovi the lead single is most often radically different from the rest of the album, with other bands it's just the one that's commercially the most interesting to release.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

brunorc21 10-20-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1269611)
Aloha !

I'm 36. I still check out full records whenever they're released. Those who don't do so nowadays wouldn't have done so 20 years ago either. It's just that a lot of 35+ year old Bon Jovi fans have given up on this band altogether. I don't know anyone from the It's My Life era who still goes to these shows and buys the albums apart from the odd individuals who'd buy stuff regardless of what's on there.

I'm surprised a Bon Jovi fan like yourself thinks checking out the odd hitsingle is enough when it comes to checking out new music as you'd never have discovered a song like Dry County or Dirty Little Secret by doing this as well. It's why I always check out full records as a single is never an indication of what an album sounds like. With Bon Jovi the lead single is most often radically different from the rest of the album, with other bands it's just the one that's commercially the most interesting to release.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Bon Jovi and a few more bands I always check out the new albums. But that's because I'm a die hard fan.

But there's lots of other bands that I like and I don't listen their new albums, just a couple of songs and when I was teenager I used to buy many records. But playlists these days are way easier.

The point is that the same thing I do with other bands people are doing with Bon Jovi. And you are right, the lead single often it's very different from the album, but that's just the way the world it is today. That's why even bands like the Rolling Stones are releasing new songs without an album. It's easier to people "consume".

Javier 10-21-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixy (Post 1269605)
From #19 to #145 on Billboard in the US. Holy ****... :/
Fun fact: The greatest hits album is #149 on this week (it spent almost 200 weeks on the chart since its release in 2010).

Yeah, bigger drop than I ever imagined. Interest in this band and any new music they put out will be greeted with the same lack of interest domestically I'm afraid. And with this whole pandemic putting a delay on any live shows, I think whenever the next tour starts up (which could take up to 2 or even 3 years), it could probably be the last string of shows by the band.

brunorc21 10-21-2020 12:07 AM

#16 in Spain, week 2
#97 in Canada, week 2 (Greatest Hits #77 in Canada)