Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Positives & Negatives - 2022 US Tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70922)

liljovi93 05-02-2022 10:14 PM

Positives & Negatives - 2022 US Tour

Now that the tour is over, it'll be interesting to see what everyone thought was a positive and a negative. I'm sure a lot of us will have the same negatives. We've spoken more about negatives than anything else, really. However, I do think we had some positives.

Positives:

Prayer at Nashville. It was the most enjoyable video from the whole tour, for me. It was nice to see Jon in the crowd amongst fans again. People are complaining saying it shouldn't have to be the last show to do that sort of thing but he's obviously done it for covid reasons, I imagine. The 'it's okay' line was by far the best Jon has sounded.

Just Older, Radio Saved My Life Tonight and Loves The Only Rule being brought back. They may not sound great, but nothing does. So I'd take these over half the stuff we have in the setlist anyday.

Limitless with an outro guitar solo. It's what we all wanted. The song itself is still piss poor but it definitely lacked a solo so thankfully, it has one now.

Jon playing the harmonica outro on Let It Rain. I personally love the guitar on Let It Rain already, even if it is a Springsteen rip off, I don't care. I do love the harmonica outro and I hope it stays.

Acoustic set. I liked it from what I seen. Really liked 'We Don't Run'

Tico Torres. The man is just an absolute beast. I'd miss him more than anyone in the band.

Negatives:

Jon's vocals. Let's just get that one out the way. Not much more I can say that we haven't already. But yeah, he sounds horrendous.

Loves The Only Rule lasting a couple of shows. Don't get me wrong, it did sound bad, but again, I'd take it over half the stuff we have.

The setlist in general. Not enough variety. 20 songs for a band with 4 decades worth of material is poor.

Jon being like he was in 2017 for a lot of the shows. Rooted to the microphone and not much movement. He had moments but a lot of it was stuck at the microphone.

Removing the acoustic set. I quite liked it from what I seen on YouTube. It added some sort of change to the show. Whether it went down like a lead balloon at the actual shows or not, I don't know.

No Blood In The Water or Luv Can. To me, they're head and shoulders better than anything else on the 2020 album. I'd have liked them to have at least been played once. Luv Can could even be done acoustic.

I've tried to keep the positives and negatives to the same amount so it's not just constant bashing. I do think it had some positives but nothing major as you can read from above. And some of them positives didn't last long, unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Litneg 05-02-2022 10:27 PM

Agree with you in everything. Those are basically my comments throughout this last month.

I'd also add on positives that raspy scream Jon started doing again in KTF. Didn't expect that it all, and this last concert as a whole.

On negatives I'd put the "deep-cuts". Don't get me wrong, loved the inclusion of Radio, Older and The Only Rule, but that was it, and from footage the band released we know their rehearsals included Joey, Blaze of Glory and at least 20 others that didn't get played. Such a pitty that the setlists were basically the same.

Kriegentragen 05-02-2022 10:53 PM

Positives & Negatives - 2022 US Tour

Agree with what you have said, and I’d add:

Positives:

- The songs being tuned down is something that should have been done since 2015.
- KTF got back its initial guitar notes.
- Born to follow from all songs also got an outro solo.

Negatives:
- As much as I love the song, WLOL should have a well deserved rest.
- Bad medicine and Sleep… without medleys.
- Losing the acoustic interlude just a few shows into the tour.
- Already mentioned, but need to stress on it: the very limited repertoire played. Many of the 2020 “gems” were left out.

rolo_tomachi 05-02-2022 11:30 PM

Negatives:

Jon's voice
Living On A Prayer miming
No In & Out Of Love

Positives:

Harmonica in Let It Rain
The Radio and Just Older on the standard Set
Back to Living On A Prayer No miming

LeaJovi 05-02-2022 11:51 PM

I love Radio Saved My Life Tonight but the version that has been played live since 2004 does absolutely nothing for me.

musiccritic101 05-03-2022 02:04 AM

Positives:
'Prayer' being an opener for a show for the first time in idk how long and Jon's energetic performance of the song, getting amongst the crowd
The new guitar outro for 'Limitless', it actually feels more like a rock song live and with the new guitar outro than what's on the record.
The band sounding very tight as always
Acoustic set, it was a welcome change from the usual arrangement during a show. too bad it only went on for a couple of shows.
Tico 'The Hitman' Torres, still the strongest link in the band, he's the literal heart beat of this band, if he wasn't onstage the band probably wouldn't sound as tight as they do.

Negatives:
JBJ's voice, the obvious elephant in the room, the most speculated topic on this forum and it's all been said before so no point in explaining further on this matter.
Acoustic set being cut, honestly a big mistake on Jon's part, despite the acoustic set leaving Jon's voice bare and exposed it actually gave Jon a bit of rest from trying to sing loudly over the band during full electric set.
The lack of variety in the setlist, this is probably the second biggest issue with this band, 40 years worth of material and the singer chooses to neglect and ignore it. Full albums with 'live worthy' material are ignored and disappear into the abyss like they don't exist.
No live performances of Luv Can or Shine, probably the 2 best tracks from the dumpster fire which is the '2020' record.

angelsambo 05-03-2022 02:58 AM

Positives:

phil x... i think he is the highlight right now in bon jovi

first half of the show reminded little bit of rock show

love the live version of limitless i wish they had produced limitless this way on the record...it sounds so more rock

Negatives:

jon' s voice...there's nothing more to say

second half of the show with a stupid song selection... can't stand songs like who says,lost highway,wlol or do what you can all these songs put me to sleep

the overall guitar sound/tone is very watered down needs more distortion

efpg0708 05-03-2022 09:12 PM

I’m struggling to find something positive about this “tour”.

What makes me really sad is to realize that Jon simply can’t do it anymore. Why doesn’t he do something special like the Prayer opening every show ? I think it’s safe to say that he can’t afford it physically plus he doesn’t care anymore. Sure, if you dissect every song you’ll find some glances of his past there, but for every good thing you find there are a lot of bad ones. It seems that just going through a safe 20 song setlist is an exhausting marathon for him nowadays.

They tried to bring back some songs, an acoustic set … and the idea was much better than the execution. He couldn’t carry on LTOR, Just Older was very flat and powerless, and the acoustic set was a snooze fest. All because he can’t do it anymore.

Yes, I know most casuals still have a good time. Even some diehards. As for myself, I won’t spend a cent on a very dull sound together with a very limited Jon. They’re done as a live band for me.

Cheers

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 05-03-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efpg0708 (Post 1279842)
I’m struggling to find something positive about this “tour”.

What makes me really sad is to realize that Jon simply can’t do it anymore. Why doesn’t he do something special like the Prayer opening every show ? I think it’s safe to say that he can’t afford it physically plus he doesn’t care anymore.

Interesting, why don't you think he cares? I understand and agree with most of the rest, though to me he put the hardest song to sing first because it's the last show of the tour so tomorrow doesn't really matter.

But I think you're right, he could have brought back starting the show in the crowd. Might be a Covid thing, who knows.

liljovi93 05-03-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1279844)
Interesting, why don't you think he cares? I understand and agree with most of the rest, though to me he put the hardest song to sing first because it's the last show of the tour so tomorrow doesn't really matter.

But I think you're right, he could have brought back starting the show in the crowd. Might be a Covid thing, who knows.

To me, it was a covid thing. He was shaking hands and stuff with the fans, something I doubt he'd have done the rest of the tour.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk