Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Self Titled & 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=50048)

Rdkopper 01-20-2010 10:00 PM

Self Titled & 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit
 
I think these two albums are awesome. We all know Jon blackballed them. Not 100% sure why. Maybe b/ he doesn't like the song writing and feels it's amateurish. Or because he felt like a puppet to his record/management company. But I'm an old school fan and I think there are really awesome songs on these albums.

My top 3 from each:

Silent Night - (the slowed down live version is awesome)
The Hardest Part Is The Night
Only Lonely

She Don't Know Me - Jon didn't write but awesome song.
Roulette
Shot Through The Heart

I'd take an album like this over any 2000+ album. Jons voice and energy in each song alone is worth a request like that.

Johny 01-20-2010 11:08 PM

I really dig them both!!!

Apart from Runaway, songs like Shot Through The Heart, Burning For Love, Come Back, In And Out Of Love, Only Lonely, Silent Night, Tokyo Road, Hardest Part Is The Night are awesome - pure rock songs, the passion and the energy were there. Something I miss today.

And yes, I have a special spot for Price Of Love. I loved the song so much when I bought the album (I was 13 I guess) and I know I have or had some great memories, but I don't know them now - everytime I hear that song, I have this strange and nice feeling about something nice in the past and I don't know what it was...

KeepTheFaith2211 01-20-2010 11:37 PM

I think 'Bon Jovi' is a very good album.

However, 7800 blows it out the water for me. 7800 was the original material of darker songs and atmosphere, and I think 'Silent Night' is an amazing song, just like the rest of the album. Only low points in my opinion are 'Secret Dreams' and '(I Don't Wanna Fall) To The Fire'.

Will probably end up being my favourite album.

severo17 01-20-2010 11:53 PM

Love both albums. The farenheit one is fourth in my list of favorite Bon Jovi albums.

Personally I just dont like in the Farenheit album "I Dont Wanna Fall To The Fire" and "King Of The Mountain". Hardest Part Is The Night, Tokyo Road, Always Run To You, Silent Night, In & Out Of love and Only Lonely are fantastic. I dare say that I consider Silent Night better than Never Say Goodbye, and that the song is probably the second best ballad of the 80's just next to I'll Be There For You.

Im still hoping that they play something more than Runaway from these two albums. Gotta keep the faith :p

Panda 01-21-2010 12:04 AM

I prefer the self titles over 7800, but theyre still both amazing albums.

Captain Walrus 01-21-2010 12:21 AM

Seriously, does no one except me like To The Fire?

Crushgen24/88 01-21-2010 12:23 AM

Never really been a fan of either of them. As an album I prefer the debut, but honestly there are no real standout tracks on it IMO. As for 7800*, I'm just really not a fan. It's got some good songwriting, but I really think it's way overrated around here. That being said, Tokyo Road is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite Jovi songs.

Goldsausage 01-21-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 966345)
Seriously, does no one except me like INTo The Fire by Bryan Adams and the same-title-different-song by Bruce Springsteen?

You are not alone, friend.

Captain Walrus 01-21-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldsausage (Post 966347)
You are not alone, friend.

I don't know the Bryan Adams song (think I've heard it once, but I can't remember it at all), so that backfires a bit!

KeepTheFaith2211 01-21-2010 12:38 AM

I like 'To The Fire', Captain, but it's one of my least favourites. I had to criticise the album somewhat(even though it doesn't deserve it. Perfect album).

TBoy 01-21-2010 12:48 AM

I allso love Tokyo Road. I had a toy, a little plastic elephant that could play that intro from the song, ahahah... that was sick. :D I think I could find that toy, I saved it somwhere.

Simon 01-21-2010 12:55 AM

I never liked the debut album that much. It's my least favourite of all, don't know why. It has some cool tracks though, and the songs kicked ass live. That goes for Fahrenheit as well. Today they just wouldn't fit into the setlists, I'm OK with them resting. The only song that I think could work (besides "Runaway") would be "Tokyo Road", I'd really like to hear that one live!

My favourite tracks:

BON JOVI:
Runaway (timeless)
Shot Through The Heart (awesome)
Breakout (live version from Tokyo 1985 is amazing) / Roulette

Actually all of the live versions kicked ass. Something of the album version bothers me, don't know what though.

FAHRENHEIT:
Tokyo Road (monster song, especially the version from Rio 1990)
Only Lonely (great lyrics, great melody)
King Of The Mountain (just because noone likes it ;-))


I always liked the poduction and the songs. You can feel the passion of the band, and how they believed it would be full of hit singles, while it's obvious they were still struggling to find their own unique sound. Really charming and full of good ideas.

Simon 01-21-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 966345)
Seriously, does no one except me like To The Fire?

I love it!

The only song on Fahrenheit I don't like so much is "Secret Dreams", but it kinda grew on me.

Rob 01-21-2010 01:17 AM

I like them both because they are raw and have a lot of energy. I do think certain songs on them are a little cheesy compared to the stuff they wrote in the latter 80s/early 90s but musically a lot of the songs are quite strong. I probably prefer the first album out the two as I think songs such as Roulette, Runaway, Get Ready, Shot Through The Heart and Love Lies are all good pop/rock songs. 7800 has always been kinda weak for me, with the exception of Tokyo Road, Price of Love and In and Out Of Love. King of The Mountain is shite, and I ain't a big fan of Always Run To You and To The Fire. I think they did right getting Desmond Child in to help them write Slippery.

Savvi 01-21-2010 03:46 AM

Ive always liked 7800. Only Lonely, King of the Mountain, Hardest Part is the Night and of course Always Run to You.

The debut I dont like as much but it still has some awesome tracks. Roulette is my favourite, followed by Love Lies and Get Ready.

crimson_05 01-21-2010 07:43 AM

I like 7800 because of Richie's guitar work. No other album sounds like it. Prehaps he was just a young guitarist trying to show off his skills, but he reels off notes faster than he ever did after on that album.

steel_horse75 01-21-2010 10:32 AM

Love the first two albums.

7800 for me edges it although To the Fire and King of the mountain are poor and could be the same song!
Other than that love all the tracks on 7800 especially Secret Dreams & The Price Of Love

01-21-2010 01:37 PM

how can anyone not like hardest part is the night? that is pure class. and indeed there are many gems on the first two records. i think the debut is slightly better myself though.

Sami 01-21-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 966361)
I like them both because they are raw and have a lot of energy. I do think certain songs on them are a little cheesy compared to the stuff they wrote in the latter 80s/early 90s but musically a lot of the songs are quite strong. I probably prefer the first album out the two as I think songs such as Roulette, Runaway, Get Ready, Shot Through The Heart and Love Lies are all good pop/rock songs. 7800 has always been kinda weak for me, with the exception of Tokyo Road, Price of Love and In and Out Of Love. King of The Mountain is shite, and I ain't a big fan of Always Run To You and To The Fire. I think they did right getting Desmond Child in to help them write Slippery.

Yes I think hiring DC was one of the defining moments when it comes to Bon Jovi breaking into superstardom. The athmospheric and artistic difference between Fahrenheit and SWW is very dramatic, its hard to believe the same band wrote those songs just about a year later. You put those 3 songwriters together and its often been pure magic.

Still, I love Fahrenheit. In the eighties, at a time, it was my favorite Bon Jovi album. There are some obvious fillers and it is evident those 10 songs were the only ones they actually had (like Jon has more recently stated). But speaking of pure hard rock, it doesnt get better than In & Out Of Love. The chorus may be Heavens On Fire recycled but this song kicks ass like no other song -ever.

The sadness and melancholy on Only Lonely and Price of Love are quite unique, too. At that time, the characteristic Bon Jovi optimism was yet to come. Nowadays, they dont write songs like that anymore.

mrleaf 01-21-2010 03:48 PM

I have to say Farenheit edges it but a great album can be created from taking some fron debut and some from 7800,one thing that does sound cool is that In and out of love wouldnt feel out of place on modern radio-with its synth hooks and sound.
Silent night is a true classic in my mind

Matrix15 01-21-2010 04:06 PM

Like all the albums they go up and down in my opinion, but I'm listening to the first album now and it's good.

bonjovi90 01-21-2010 09:41 PM

I used to listen a lot to the first record when I had just become a fan in early 2006. Loved it immensly then. Nowadays I barely put the CD in, I still like some songs like Shot Through The Heart, Runaway and Burning For Love very much, but the rest isn't really my cup of tea anymore.

With Fahrenheit it's just the other way around. I wasn't a fan of it in the beginning, but it certainly grew on me and I listen to it regularly the last month. Some of the production is screwed up as songs like The Hardest Part Is The Night or Silent Night sounded a million times better live IMO. Also Only Lonely. The performance of Frankfurt '85 blows the studio version out of the water, just like many others do. But I'm a fan of catchy riffs, especially keyboard riffs, and this album has just fantastic and catchy hooks! I don't know why, but Secret Dreams and Price of Love have just something really special for me - shame they were never done live!

Simon 01-21-2010 11:20 PM

As also discussed in the "Hey God" thread in the Tour-section, Obie promised songs from "Fahrenheit" on the next tour.

Thierry 01-21-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 966436)
I used to listen a lot to the first record when I had just become a fan in early 2006. Loved it immensly then. Nowadays I barely put the CD in, I still like some songs like Shot Through The Heart, Runaway and Burning For Love very much, but the rest isn't really my cup of tea anymore.

With Fahrenheit it's just the other way around. I wasn't a fan of it in the beginning, but it certainly grew on me and I listen to it regularly the last month. Some of the production is screwed up as songs like The Hardest Part Is The Night or Silent Night sounded a million times better live IMO. Also Only Lonely. The performance of Frankfurt '85 blows the studio version out of the water, just like many others do. But I'm a fan of catchy riffs, especially keyboard riffs, and this album has just fantastic and catchy hooks! I don't know why, but Secret Dreams and Price of Love have just something really special for me - shame they were never done live!

I totally agree, Fahrenheit is a great record. Only Lonely and Price Of Love are outstanding!

DryCounty 01-21-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 966458)
Obie promised songs from "Fahrenheit" on the next tour.

Wow, really ? :D I could have kill to here any song from "Fahrenheit" live !

SexxAtraxxion 01-22-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrleaf (Post 966397)
I have to say Farenheit edges it but a great album can be created from taking some fron debut and some from 7800,one thing that does sound cool is that In and out of love wouldnt feel out of place on modern radio-with its synth hooks and sound.
Silent night is a true classic in my mind

:lol:

Best regards,
the Sexx

bonjovi_forever89 01-22-2010 08:13 PM

Can't believe they're gunna play some 7800 on this tour!! Just saw Obie mention it, my dreams may actually come true this tour finally lol

Rob 01-22-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi_forever89 (Post 966577)
Can't believe they're gunna play some 7800 on this tour!! Just saw Obie mention it, my dreams may actually come true this tour finally lol

Hate to piss on your bonfire mate but Obie's got a track record of being wrong. Be great if they did though. They'll probably throw In and Outta Love in for a couple of shows and do Tokyo Road in Japan and that'll be it. :(

Rob 01-22-2010 10:45 PM

Come on, come on... GET READY!!! ;)

Just listening to self titled. Can't beat a bit of raw pop rock before going out. :D

jungleland 01-22-2010 11:33 PM

Both good to great albums. While the debut has not too many fillers 7800 has the first real classics like IAOOL or OL. I wish they would not be so ashamed of their past (especially Jon). Other bands are proud of their back catalogue - BJ are not. Sad somehow....

Simon 01-23-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland (Post 966610)
Both good to great albums. While the debut has not too many fillers 7800 has the first real classics like IAOOL or OL. I wish they would not be so ashamed of their past (especially Jon). Other bands are proud of their back catalogue - BJ are not. Sad somehow....

That's not entirely true, the first 2 albums are not their only back catalogue. They almost played every song from SWW and NJ at some point. But it's just a fact that the stuff on the first two albums wouldn't fit so well into their setlists, exceptions being "Runaway" and "Tokyo Road", maybe "In & Out Of Love". As much as I love to hear one of those three, and like the first two albums, I can live without those songs being played live.

SexxAtraxxion 01-23-2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 966620)
That's not entirely true, the first 2 albums are not their only back catalogue. They almost played every song from SWW and NJ at some point. But it's just a fact that the stuff on the first two albums wouldn't fit so well into their setlists, exceptions being "Runaway" and "Tokyo Road", maybe "In & Out Of Love". As much as I love to hear one of those three, and like the first two albums, I can live without those songs being played live.

:roll:

Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are played heavily because it's their legacy.
I'm pretty sure Jon wouldn't play them if they didn't sell a shitload of records. Jon prefers the 00s albums.
Bon Jovi can't sellout arenas/stadiums without playing their Hair Metal songs.

Best regards.

jungleland 01-23-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 966624)
Bon Jovi can't sellout arenas/stadiums without playing their Hair Metal songs.

Best regards.[/B]

Really ? So you mean the casual fan is really waiting for "Make a Memory" or "Misunderstood" instead of "Bad MEdicine" and "Prayer" ?

yomamasofat 01-23-2010 02:03 PM

The first album is totally awesome. There is no weak track at all.

7800 is ok, some good songs but there are a couple of real turds there.

Crushgen24/88 01-23-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland (Post 966610)
Both good to great albums. While the debut has not too many fillers 7800 has the first real classics like IAOOL or OL. I wish they would not be so ashamed of their past (especially Jon). Other bands are proud of their back catalogue - BJ are not. Sad somehow....

I know. Doesn't it suck how they ignore Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Keep The Faith? ;)

In all seriousness, I absolutely do think that songs off of 7800 (IAOOL, Only Lonely, and (in my dreams) Tokyo Road) should be played, but the bottom line is that, no matter how good or bad we think they are, those albums are a small part of their legacy at this point.

jungleland 01-23-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 966670)
I know. Doesn't it suck how they ignore Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and Keep The Faith? ;)

In all seriousness, I absolutely do think that songs off of 7800 (IAOOL, Only Lonely, and (in my dreams) Tokyo Road) should be played, but the bottom line is that, no matter how good or bad we think they are, those albums are a small part of their legacy at this point.

ok good point but I was not only talking about the music itself and you are right that they still play SWW and NJ song en masse. But somehow I got the feeling that Jon is ashamed of being part of the 80's. Why is he ? I never understaood. That's how it was done then - I cannot think of Paul McCartney being ashamed of having a dreadful hair or making stupid music movies
I understand that Jon doesn't want to be a nostalgia act - but the older they and their fans get the more the old songs will be desired. BJ won't release classics like NJ or SWW anymore...

SexxAtraxxion 01-23-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland (Post 966677)
ok good point but I was not only talking about the music itself and you are right that they still play SWW and NJ song en masse. But somehow I got the feeling that Jon is ashamed of being part of the 80's. Why is he ? I never understaood. That's how it was done then - I cannot think of Paul McCartney being ashamed of having a dreadful hair or making stupid music movies
I understand that Jon doesn't want to be a nostalgia act - but the older they and their fans get the more the old songs will be desired. BJ won't release classics like NJ or SWW anymore...

Jon and Richie are ashamed because they will be always remembered as the most popular Hair Metal band. That's the reason.

Thier peers are not Bryan Adams, Springsteen or U2, their peers are Poison, Def Leppard, Cre, etc.

To this day, they still deny it. That's why they are a joke for the music critics and Rolling Stone.

Best regards.

Johny 01-23-2010 11:19 PM

What's wrong with hair metal?? They're crazy..

jungleland 01-23-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 966683)
Jon and Richie are ashamed because they will be always remembered as the most popular Hair Metal band. That's the reason.

Thier peers are not Bryan Adams, Springsteen or U2, their peers are Poison, Def Leppard, Cre, etc.

To this day, they still deny it. That's why they are a joke for the music critics and Rolling Stone.

Best regards.

I wouldn't put BJ into the same category as Poison or Cre. And Def lep were always way ahead musically. Not a stupid talentless Hair metal band. Brian Adams?? Gimme a break......

SexxAtraxxion 01-23-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland (Post 966686)
I wouldn't put BJ into the same category as Poison or Cre. And Def lep were always way ahead musically. Not a stupid talentless Hair metal band. Brian Adams?? Gimme a break......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As every music genre, there will be good and bad bands.

Bon Jovi was one, and they had talent. You can't change the past.

Best regards.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.