Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

rolo_tomachi 09-13-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butters (Post 1258893)
I think the evidence is clear that JBJ cannot deliver something powerful, let alone something even bearable to listen to. His live performances over the last five years prove that definitively. I do agree that there is some studio ****ery that can be used to make him sound, not even bearable, but really good! Hence, why I'm sure I will like some or most of the record. However, I know it is all lies and he can't actually deliver the songs and that just sucks all of the magic out of it.

It would be like if somebody created a technology that really accurately mimicked a person's voice and used it to create a new Elvis Presley album in 2020. Would I listen to it? Yeah. Might I like some of the songs? Yeah. Is it the same as listening to an actual Elvis song? Nah, because it isn't real. And ironically enough, Jon summed it up perfectly in Last Man Standing.

I agree that the live performances are over, but as for studio albums, Jon can still do decent music, with some powerful song, even if you have to use some tricks. Is WWYDF not working for you? because I was quite satisfied with their voices. We Don't Run has a claw and it sounds sharp, I mean those tricks. And I am not referring to a magical album like These Days.

In fact it is curious how Burning Bridges has better voice takes than THINFS. Are we sure they belong to the same recording sessions?

Supersonic 09-13-2019 04:39 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1258897)
I agree that the live performances are over, but as for studio albums, Jon can still do decent music, with some powerful song, even if you have to use some tricks. Is WWYDF not working for you? because I was quite satisfied with their voices. We Don't Run has a claw and it sounds sharp, I mean those tricks. And I am not referring to a magical album like These Days.

In fact it is curious how Burning Bridges has better voice takes than THINFS. Are we sure they belong to the same recording sessions?

No, they don't. They were all outtakes from previous sessions before he blew out his voice for good. But that's not really the point.

You're talking about some tricks but it's not some tricks. Jon's vocals are carefully put together from many, many takes, probably even going as far as recording word for word and then using studio tricks to pitch everything to the correct key and pacing. In the past, Jon's criticized a lot of pop idols for not being able to sing live but he's got to rely on studio magic a lot more than most of these pop stars "that weren't the real deal".

When listening to a studio recording of Bon Jovi nowadays you're not listening to Jon Bon Jovi, you're listening to what Shanks and other engineers can make out of whatever noise Jon's coming up with and has nothing to do with the artistic integrity Jon's bragged about in the past. If that works for you, then fine, but it's got nothing to do with music anymore. He's become a fraud, really.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Jovi98 09-13-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1258898)
Aloha !

No, they don't. They were all outtakes from previous sessions before he blew out his voice for good. But that's not really the point.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Only We Don't Run, Burning Bridges and maybe A Teardrop to the Sea are recorded in 2015 i think, the other songs are all outtakes from the previously albums.

rolo_tomachi 09-13-2019 07:18 PM

But that has already happened even before Jon lost his voice, from have a nice day we have seen these tricks increase. I remember even when they released the 1-minute preview of the single Have a Nice Day the same day of live 8. My first feeling was that this was not Jon, his tone sounded so changed with respect to all of the above, he had manipulated and equalized so much. However, it was not only a success, people loved that song. What I say is that not everything that is manipulated is shit, sometimes it works.

About Burning Bridges recording again, do you think the voices were recorded in previous years? If that was the case, then there were some demos or something similar, maybe, and if that was the case, maybe in those demos Richie is playing the same guitar solo on songs like WWYDF and Fingersprints? later, Shanks replicated it as Richie did in that demo? maybe, with some variation? If Shanks was so good, why is there not similar in THINFS?

bonboy25 09-14-2019 12:00 AM

Jon said in an interview that the album isnt political, but a statement record.

https://youtu.be/quJDvWilJhI

thesedays2014 09-14-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1258900)
But that has already happened even before Jon lost his voice, from have a nice day we have seen these tricks increase. I remember even when they released the 1-minute preview of the single Have a Nice Day the same day of live 8. My first feeling was that this was not Jon, his tone sounded so changed with respect to all of the above, he had manipulated and equalized so much. However, it was not only a success, people loved that song. What I say is that not everything that is manipulated is shit, sometimes it works.

About Burning Bridges recording again, do you think the voices were recorded in previous years? If that was the case, then there were some demos or something similar, maybe, and if that was the case, maybe in those demos Richie is playing the same guitar solo on songs like WWYDF and Fingersprints? later, Shanks replicated it as Richie did in that demo? maybe, with some variation? If Shanks was so good, why is there not similar in THINFS?

Lot of interesting points there...

You can tell since Shanks became the producer, all the studio trickery has been doubled each album. That’s why Jon keeps hiring him. Personally I think there is some production I like (some of LH, some of TC), but I can’t generally stand that super compressed sound. Just compare the Bounce sound (with its loops and other ‘tricks’ too) to HAND. You can hear every main instrument and those drums are just so in your face. Personally I think Tico has suffered the most in the Shanks era lol.

BB has some fantastic songs and some songs which are just engineered and produced to an amazingly high standard. Just listen to Billy Falcon’s TDTTS, then Bon Jovi’s studio version. Take Fingerprints, such a simple song (imagine it without those solos). Take WWYDF, straight from the 80s (Jovi mixed with Phil Collins) and take WDR, totally modern, but sharp, with a mean bass and strong (though artificial) drums.

You can tell Shanks’ guitar work was recorded in many takes (Fingerprints for example), but BB has some of the best guitars since TD.

Why didn’t Shanks repeat this type of experimenting on THINFS? I guess there’s a few reasons: nobody cared for BB (OK, Jon was the first, but even on here everyone said it was shit), it was just a collection of experiments and B-sides and Shanks trying to be a guitar hero. A lot of the production was also very dated (something I personally love and I think it fits Jovi totally),...

Going back to the new record...it’ll be Walls/Imagine Dragons production with maybe one or two half decent Phil sounding tracks...such a shame (hopefully not), compressed vocals and instruments and gibberish wannabe politician lyrics.

rolo_tomachi 09-14-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1258905)

You can tell since Shanks became the producer, all the studio trickery has been doubled each album. That’s why Jon keeps hiring him. Personally I think there is some production I like (some of LH, some of TC), but I can’t generally stand that super compressed sound. Just compare the Bounce sound (with its loops and other ‘tricks’ too) to HAND. You can hear every main instrument and those drums are just so in your face. Personally I think Tico has suffered the most in the Shanks era lol.

BB has some fantastic songs and some songs which are just engineered and produced to an amazingly high standard. Just listen to Billy Falcon’s TDTTS, then Bon Jovi’s studio version. Take Fingerprints, such a simple song (imagine it without those solos). Take WWYDF, straight from the 80s (Jovi mixed with Phil Collins) and take WDR, totally modern, but sharp, with a mean bass and strong (though artificial) drums.

You can tell Shanks’ guitar work was recorded in many takes (Fingerprints for example), but BB has some of the best guitars since TD.

Why didn’t Shanks repeat this type of experimenting on THINFS? I guess there’s a few reasons: nobody cared for BB (OK, Jon was the first, but even on here everyone said it was shit), it was just a collection of experiments and B-sides and Shanks trying to be a guitar hero. A lot of the production was also very dated (something I personally love and I think it fits Jovi totally),...

Going back to the new record...it’ll be Walls/Imagine Dragons production with maybe one or two half decent Phil sounding tracks...such a shame (hopefully not), compressed vocals and instruments and gibberish wannabe politician lyrics.

Touche. Wait for something real good... is so
complicated. I try.

Rdkopper 09-14-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Great Post

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 09-14-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Agreeing with most of your post, especially the prediction of what the upcoming album's gonna sound like.

About Shanks: I simply think he has no own style of guitar playing. His usual Jovi licks are copy/paste U2/The Killers kind of stuff. Teardrop sounds a lot like the way Bobby used to play (maybe it actually was Bobby). And with Fingerprints, I still share the opinion that it was from somewhere between 2007 and 2013 and Richie had come up with the original solo idea that was just replicated.

james_d 09-14-2019 01:01 PM

I have to admit I'd much rather they try something with this album and fail than here the same old stuff. I love BB because it's different even if some songs miss the mark.