Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   So you've ripped it............. (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55116)

RonJovi 03-12-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115103)
Could've fooled me, and probably many others as well.

"you really shouldn't waste your time here". That's pretty obvious. It's not an opinion.

It's a possibility, but not probable. If it was an opinion, you would've said something like "I think", "In my opinion" or "to me this is...". "You really shouldn't waste your time here" isn't an opinion.

This is where your lack of understanding of the English language or attention span is the problem. At least you've accepted the possibility it wasn't an instruction and I'm now telling you it wasn't. Want to move on? I did actually preface that paragraph with "I don't think" as well but I guess you need everything spoonfed to you in order to not misunderstand.

Quote:

But there you would be wrong. You don't know that. You can't know that. You were talking about a new album, which many think is crap. If that's the case, there are probably a lot of fans who actually think that there are a lot of things they "don't think is very good" that are better than the piece of crap.

How likely do you think it is that I'm wrong though. If you put up a poll on a Bon Jovi message board and said: "What's better - the 1D album or WAN?" What do you think the result would be? Like if you went into a pub in Manchester when United are playing Liverpool, what team would you expect the majority to be supporting?

Quote:

Yes, that would be ironic. But the thing is, nothing like that has happened here. In your mind you expected something to happen, you assumed. That doesn't qualify as ironic. Me saying you don't understand irony and you disagreeing isn't ironic. You claiming I judged you when I told you not to judge, isn't ironic. If anything THAT would be hypocritical, which is why I didn't do that.

Irony needs a commonly agreed on result for it to work. Your own expectations that are not met don't create irony.

No you're wrong. If you say, "You have no idea how to use that hammer, give it to me." You take a swing and miss and hit your hand. That's ironic and we agree on that. There is no commonly agreed result there but it's ironic that you tell me I can't use the hammer, take it thinking you can and then show you have no idea how to use it.

It's hypocrisy if you say "You don't understand irony and I do" but you know you don't understand irony. If you say "You don't understand irony and I do", believe it and then unwittingly show you don't understand irony, then that's ironic buddy.

Quote:

I don't care if you like their recent works or not. And I don't lable people blind followers, RDKopper has labled himself as one. He's said he loves anything the bands does. That's pretty much the definition.

Has he labelled himself a blind follower? Show me where he said that. The only post I've seen from him says he doesn't consider himself a blind follower.

Quote:

What I do have a problem with is people like you who keep saying that people who DON'T like the new stuff should go away.

I really think this board would be better off if the people trolling would go away which is what Panda was doing in my opinion (he even eventually admitted that he hadn't heard the entire 1D album).

Quote:

Ok, let's have this conversation in your third language. Which one would that be?

Oh, getting into personal insults? I'm quite happy with my English, thank you very much. I'd like to see you try a different language than your mother tongue. Take a pick, I'll try to understand.

I admire anyone who speaks other languages Alanis. It's a great skill. But we are discussing our comprehension of English so other languages are irrelevant.

Quote:

Because you keep saying how "adult" and "mature" you are ("big boys"), act like a teenager and hide your age from your profile.

To me, that screams "15-year-old trying to be important".

Ice

Again, trying to know someone that you obviously don't. Where did I "keep" saying I'm mature by the way? For your info, I'm 33 Alanis.

Bounce7800 03-12-2013 11:07 AM

If you two could bring this argument to a close and bring this back on topic it would be much appreciated, as you are both just going round in circles.

RonJovi 03-12-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1115113)
If you two could bring this argument to a close and bring this back on topic it would be much appreciated, as you are both just going round in circles.

Surprised anyone is still reading to be honest. :-)

Iceman 03-12-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115112)
This is where your lack of understanding of the English language or attention span is the problem. At least you've accepted the possibility it wasn't an instruction and I'm now telling you it wasn't. Want to move on? I did actually preface that paragraph with "I don't think" as well but I guess you need everything spoonfed to you in order to not misunderstand.

Your "I don't think" is part of a different sentence. It's not connected to the part where you tell him to go away. Which, BTW, you confirm below to mean just what I say it meant.

Quote:

How likely do you think it is that I'm wrong though.
Very. I'm pretty sure most people who have listened to and liked Bon Jovi in the 80s would say that pretty much anything is better than WAN.

Quote:

No you're wrong. If you say, "You have no idea how to use that hammer, give it to me." You take a swing and miss and hit your hand. That's ironic and we agree on that. There is no commonly agreed result there but it's ironic that you tell me I can't use the hammer, take it thinking you can and then show you have no idea how to use it.
This is your opinion. I still stand by my statement that you don't understand how irony works and had to dig out a definition that could be remotely understood as something you claim happened here, when in fact it didn't. I do know what irony means, how it works and how it doesn't, as I've showed you many time. You, on the other hand, keep insisting that I expected something, which I didn't, and because that thing I was supposed to be expecting didn't happen, it somehow became ironic. It didn't.

Quote:

It's hypocrisy if you say "You don't understand irony and I do" but you know you don't understand irony. If you say "You don't understand irony and I do", believe it and then unwittingly show you don't understand irony, then that's ironic buddy.
Yes, it would be, if that were to happen. It didn't. You think it did, but if you read the posts back, you'll see that you were wrong. Nowhere did I expect something to happen, and neither did anyone else. You just thought I expected something. But owning up to that would make your argument false, so you keep claiming I did, even though there's no facts to support it nor can you get any, because it's impossible. Ergo, I win. Neener neener! :P

Quote:

Has he labelled himself a blind follower? Show me where he said that. The only post I've seen from him says he doesn't consider himself a blind follower.
If I say I'm not a human, it doesn't make me an animal. He's stated how he loves everything the band does and will support them no matter what they do. That's a blind follower. He doesn't need to label himself that literally.

Quote:

I really think this board would be better off if the people trolling would go away which is what Panda was doing in my opinion (he even eventually admitted that he hadn't heard the entire 1D album).
And here's again the part where you say that people should leave the forum. This time you've added the "I think", so at least you've learned something.

Quote:

I admire anyone who speaks other languages Alanis. It's a great skill. But we are discussing our comprehension of English so other languages are irrelevant.
But your personal insults toward me are relevant. It shows that your running out of actual arguments and have to resort to personal insults. Also, it strengtens the "teenager" interpretation.

And if you dare to judge anyone's grasp on English on an international forum, you're an asshole. And yes, that's meant to be an insult.

Let's see you try it in Spanish. Or French or whatever you choose. We'll see how that goes. Until then, you keep your mouth shut about people's language skills.

Quote:

Again, trying to know someone that you obviously don't. Where did I "keep" saying I'm mature by the way? For your info, I'm 33 Alanis.
Well, nice to meet you 33 Alanis. I don't believe you, but that's beside the point. And where exactly did I "try to know" anyone? I very clearly stated my opinion, and even included the facts that support it. Yet, you didn't understand that as an opinion. Now, THAT'S ironic.

See? You insult my English, for not understanding that your instructions are actually opinions, yet YOU fail to understand an opinion even when the sentence starts with "To me", which clearly means "it's my opinion that". Oh, irony, thou art a heartless bitch.

Ice

RonJovi 03-12-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115135)
Your "I don't think" is part of a different sentence. It's not connected to the part where you tell him to go away. Which, BTW, you confirm below to mean just what I say it meant.

Very. I'm pretty sure most people who have listened to and liked Bon Jovi in the 80s would say that pretty much anything is better than WAN.

This is your opinion. I still stand by my statement that you don't understand how irony works and had to dig out a definition that could be remotely understood as something you claim happened here, when in fact it didn't. I do know what irony means, how it works and how it doesn't, as I've showed you many time. You, on the other hand, keep insisting that I expected something, which I didn't, and because that thing I was supposed to be expecting didn't happen, it somehow became ironic. It didn't.

Yes, it would be, if that were to happen. It didn't. You think it did, but if you read the posts back, you'll see that you were wrong. Nowhere did I expect something to happen, and neither did anyone else. You just thought I expected something. But owning up to that would make your argument false, so you keep claiming I did, even though there's no facts to support it nor can you get any, because it's impossible. Ergo, I win. Neener neener! :P

If I say I'm not a human, it doesn't make me an animal. He's stated how he loves everything the band does and will support them no matter what they do. That's a blind follower. He doesn't need to label himself that literally.

And here's again the part where you say that people should leave the forum. This time you've added the "I think", so at least you've learned something.

But your personal insults toward me are relevant. It shows that your running out of actual arguments and have to resort to personal insults. Also, it strengtens the "teenager" interpretation.

And if you dare to judge anyone's grasp on English on an international forum, you're an asshole. And yes, that's meant to be an insult.

Let's see you try it in Spanish. Or French or whatever you choose. We'll see how that goes. Until then, you keep your mouth shut about people's language skills.

Well, nice to meet you 33 Alanis. I don't believe you, but that's beside the point. And where exactly did I "try to know" anyone? I very clearly stated my opinion, and even included the facts that support it. Yet, you didn't understand that as an opinion. Now, THAT'S ironic.

See? You insult my English, for not understanding that your instructions are actually opinions, yet YOU fail to understand an opinion even when the sentence starts with "To me", which clearly means "it's my opinion that". Oh, irony, thou art a heartless bitch.

Ice

Let's go round again, one more time.

Matey, I wouldn't dream of having a pop at anyone over their grasp of English until they tell me (falsely) that I don't understand something despite not having a clue themselves. Like I say, I admire anyone that speaks another language.

If I start a paragraph with "I don't think", I don't expect to have to start every sentence with "in my opinion" or "I think" unless I'm saying something that clearly contradicts the fact I'm expressing an opinion. Most people will be able to judge from the tone that what I was offering was an opinion. You've even admitted yourself that it could have been me offering an opinion. If I'd said, "Panda, stop posting on this board" then I was giving an order or trying to do something I have no authority to do but that's not what happened.

Anyway, you've admitted it could have been an opinion. I've told you it was just an opinion. No-one else has taken it as me giving instructions. Hand on heart, it was a suggestion/opinion. Are you ready to accept that now?

So you think that anyone who liked Bon Jovi in the 80s would prefer anything to WAN? Really? You're using that as an argument??? Haha, it's hard to argue with pig-headed stupidity.

You don't understand the term 'expectation' in relation to the definition of irony that was posted in this thread clearly. That's unfortunate but there is no other way to explain it to you. You've accepted the hammer example as ironic. You did the same thing whether you accept it or not. It was ironic. You don't want to see that, it's fine. Want to move on?

Rdkopper has never said that he loves everything they do that I'm aware of. I've seen a post saying the opposite the other day from him.

Finally, despite a deluded self-appointment as the policeman of this board, you have no authority. If you have a problem with any of my posts like you have with the one you misinterpreted, report me to the mods and let them deal with it. That's how message boards usually work.

Although, if you do that, you'll probably have to find another way to massage your ego or overstate your importance.

RonJovi 03-12-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115135)
I still stand by my statement that you don't understand how irony works and had to dig out a definition that could be remotely understood as something you claim happened here, when in fact it didn't.

Must pull you on this too.

The only definitions I've used are the one you originally posted and the one from the Oxford English Dictionary. To prove you were talking nonsense, and to get you to admit why what you did was ironic (if only indirectly), I used your definition and your hammer example.

Jog on...

Iceman 03-12-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115147)
Matey, I wouldn't dream of having a pop at anyone over their grasp of English until they tell me (falsely) that I don't understand something despite not having a clue themselves. Like I say, I admire anyone that speaks another language.

You've already done it, at least two times, probably more.

Quote:

If I start a paragraph with "I don't think", I don't expect to have to start every sentence with "in my opinion" or "I think" unless I'm saying something that clearly contradicts the fact I'm expressing an opinion. Most people will be able to judge from the tone that what I was offering was an opinion.
The second sentence was clearly an instruction, if not an order, to leave the messageboard. Which you've repeated in the post above. Why can't you just admit it?

Quote:

So you think that anyone who liked Bon Jovi in the 80s would prefer anything to WAN? Really? You're using that as an argument??? Haha, it's hard to argue with pig-headed stupidity.
I never said "any", I said most people. And I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure anyone who enjoyed Bon Jovi's music in the 80s, wouldn't be too keen on what they're doing today. I know many people who thought they were red hot back then, but can't stand the new songs.

Quote:

You don't understand the term 'expectation' in relation to the definition of irony that was posted in this thread clearly. That's unfortunate but there is no other way to explain it to you. You've accepted the hammer example as ironic. You did the same thing whether you accept it or not. It was ironic. You don't want to see that, it's fine. Want to move on?
The point is, that I didn't do it. You think I did, but that doesn't really count. I don't care what you think about it, but the fact (that anyone can look up) is that you did use the word "irony" wrong, as if you didn't understand the concept of it. You've told 3 different sets of "mistakes" i made, none of which are ironic.

Quote:

Rdkopper has never said that he loves everything they do that I'm aware of. I've seen a post saying the opposite the other day from him.
Can't be bothered to dig the quote up, but it was a few days ago.

Quote:

Finally, despite a deluded self-appointment as the policeman of this board, you have no authority. If you have a problem with any of my posts like you have with the one you misinterpreted, report me to the mods and let them deal with it. That's how message boards usually work.
No. I never calimed to be a police or even a mod here. I jsut told you that you act like an idiot, ehich you did. You chose to jump on that. Mods here won't do anything about posts or people, no matter how idiotic, if they're not indecent or against the rules (racist, name-calling, etc.). Could've reported a couple of your later posts, though, but chose not to.

And if you don't know how this board works, are you really qualified to tell me how to act here?

Quote:

Although, if you do that, you'll probably have to find another way to massage your ego or overstate your importance.
Believe me, this has no effect on my or my ego, whatsoever. I don't try to inflate my ego by arguing with the likes of you. Nor do I lose any sleep over it. It's just fun watching people get riled up and resorting to personal insults when they find out they've been called out on all their arguments. You can call it a hobby if you will. My life is somewhere outside this message board. I actually stopped posting here for a long time because the place became over-run with backstagers or the like-minded admirers of Jon. I only came back because a lot of the old-timers returned as well. Let's see how long this place can stay above the backstage level. You're not making it any better in that respect.

Ice

Iceman 03-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115158)
Must pull you on this too.

The only definitions I've used are the one you originally posted and the one from the Oxford English Dictionary. To prove you were talking nonsense, and to get you to admit why what you did was ironic (if only indirectly), I used your definition and your hammer example.

Jog on...

I haven't posted "my definition", I gave you an example. Your "Oxford" definition isn't from the Oxford Dictionary, I don't know where you dug it up, but I don't really care. The actual (non-literary) difinition in the Oxford dictionary is

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result"

And nothing remotely like that ever occured in this thread.

Ice

RonJovi 03-12-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115160)
You've already done it, at least two times, probably more.

The second sentence was clearly an instruction, if not an order, to leave the messageboard. Which you've repeated in the post above. Why can't you just admit it?

I never said "any", I said most people. And I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure anyone who enjoyed Bon Jovi's music in the 80s, wouldn't be too keen on what they're doing today. I know many people who thought they were red hot back then, but can't stand the new songs.

The point is, that I didn't do it. You think I did, but that doesn't really count. I don't care what you think about it, but the fact (that anyone can look up) is that you did use the word "irony" wrong, as if you didn't understand the concept of it. You've told 3 different sets of "mistakes" i made, none of which are ironic.

Can't be bothered to dig the quote up, but it was a few days ago.

No. I never calimed to be a police or even a mod here. I jsut told you that you act like an idiot, ehich you did. You chose to jump on that. Mods here won't do anything about posts or people, no matter how idiotic, if they're not indicent or against the rules (racist, name-calling, etc.). Could've reported a couple of your later posts, though, but chose not to.

And if you don't know how this board works, are you really qualified to tell me how to act here?

Believe me, this has no effect on my or my ego, whatsoever. I don't try to inflate my ego by arguing with the likes of you. Nor do I lose any sleep over it. It's just fun watching people get riled up and resorting to personal insults when they find out they've been called out on all their arguments. You can call it a hobby if you will. My life is somewhere outside this message board. I actually stopped posting here for a long time because the place became over-run with backstagers or the like-minded admirers of Jon. I only came back because a lot of the old-timers returned as well. Let's see how long this place can stay above the backstage level. You're not making it any better in that respect.

Ice

Bahahahahahaha you're some man Alanis.

It wasn't an instruction. You've admitted yourself that it may not have been. You have admitted that so therefore it "clearly" wasn't anything. I'm telling you it wasn't an instruction. Why are you still arguing?

Okay, how many people who liked the band in the 80s do you know of? I'm one of them by the way and I still like what Bon Jovi do. It isn't as good, for me, as the stuff from 88-95 but the good still outweighs the bad.

I "used the word irony wrong". Haha you really are the gift that keeps giving. Incidentally, I've used your definition and your example to prove you wrong. Give it up.

You said "I'm telling you to behave". You have no authority to tell anyone to behave.

Re the name calling - people in glass houses and all that.

And if you think I'm riled, you really don't know me Alanis. I love people like you who leap before they look. And you have made an average of about 2 posts for every single day for the last 10 years. Seems like a lot of your life is on this board.

RonJovi 03-12-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115161)
I haven't posted "my definition", I gave you an example. Your "Oxford" definition isn't from the Oxford Dictionary, I don't know where you dug it up, but I don't really care. The actual (non-literary) difinition in the Oxford dictionary is

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result"

And nothing remotely like that ever occured in this thread.

Ice

Alanis Iceman, the gift that just keeps giving.

Take a look at post 136 in this thread. Haha you are great.

And you can deny all you want but what you did was ironic. You just can't process the definition properly for whatever reason. You're some comedian.

The definition that I resorted to using to illustrate why what you did was ironic, by the way, was the one you posted in 133.

Says something though that you went for Wikipedia and I went for the Oxford English Dictionary.

Good man yourself Alanis, keep making a tit of yourself.

Iceman 03-13-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115162)
It wasn't an instruction. You've admitted yourself that it may not have been. You have admitted that so therefore it "clearly" wasn't anything. I'm telling you it wasn't an instruction. Why are you still arguing?

Because you're arguing. You say its an "opinion", but can't admit that you worded it wrong. The sky isn't red even though you say it is.

Quote:

Okay, how many people who liked the band in the 80s do you know of? I'm one of them by the way and I still like what Bon Jovi do. It isn't as good, for me, as the stuff from 88-95 but the good still outweighs the bad.
I've never counted, about 20. Most of my friends and family liked the 80s Bon Jovi, most don't like what they're doing now.

Quote:

I "used the word irony wrong". Haha you really are the gift that keeps giving. Incidentally, I've used your definition and your example to prove you wrong. Give it up.
Learn to read, dear Ron Jeremy. My definition? I've never given you my definition. I've quoted Wikipedia and I've given you an example how none of what you think is ironic actually isn't. My definition of irony, as of right now, could be summed in a single word: RonJovi.

You keep making me repeat myself, but if that's what it takes, then: Irony is a situation in which there is an incongruity between the literal and the implied meaning.

And I'll repeat it again, nothing like it happened here. YOU say it did, because YOU thought something happened, when it didn't. YOU can think it's ironic all you want, but YOU would be wrong.

Quote:

You said "I'm telling you to behave". You have no authority to tell anyone to behave.
Of course I do. I can tell anyone pretty much anything I want, as long as I'm not breaking the law. I also make sure that I don't tell people what to like or dislike, because I find that extremely irritating and stupid.

Quote:

Re the name calling - people in glass houses and all that.
I never once called you anything. Read the posts back. I'm very careful with things like that, because it's not allowed here and threads can be locked because of it. YOU on the other hand did it a bunch of times and if I wanted to, I could report you to the mods. But I haven't, but it seems to be the wrong move, as you keep continuing. Maybe I should report you?

Quote:

And if you think I'm riled, you really don't know me Alanis. I love people like you who leap before they look. And you have made an average of about 2 posts for every single day for the last 10 years. Seems like a lot of your life is on this board.
Oh, look, another assumption and attempt at irritating me with the names. And yes, you are "riled", otherwise you wouldn't need to resort to name-calling and juvenile acts like calling me "Alanis". You've even gone to the lengths of digging up my profile, possibly even my old posts. So yes, you are "riled" up, one could even say "obsessed".

No, my life is not on this board. In fact, my life is so filled with other, more important stuff, that I can not spend enough time on the web discussing and doing the things I like, even though I'd want to.

And even though I don't need to tell you a thing, I will let you know how I gathered those posts.

I first came to DryCounty in 1995. Been here ever since, more or less. I was very active on the bonjovi.com chat and even had a web site dedicated to all the regular chatters there. After Bonjovi.com chat and messageboard closed I started frequenting this place, as BSWJBJ was just utter crap.

We used to have long discussions about everything in the early 2000's, with dozens of posts in a day. After that I've had many years that I hardly posted here, mainly because of people like you that won't allow people to say and think what they want and tell them to leave the board. Got tired of the single-mindedness of the new-Bon-Jovi-lovers and decided that I didn't need assholes like that even on a messageboard. And mostly, because I think Bon Jovi's music since 1998 has been mostly crap.

Then, when the old posters started coming back, I came back. But I check the board when I have the time, which isn't all that much now, about once a day. Most of the time it's just the same old I-love-Bon-Jovi-so-much -crap that I don't bother to read nor post. But when people like you bring up the "you're not a real fan", I'll respond, if for nothing else but to make you think about your "opinons".

So, no, you're nothing new, you don't have an effect on how I think, you're nothing special. I've seen the likes of you come and go so many times that I do'nt even remember all of their names anymore. Every once in a while one of you creeps comes along, tells others what to think and how to act, claim you didn't do it and then fade away.

So, keep at it. Keep up the name-calling, denying your posts, dismissing direct quotes and believing that you know best. Keep telling people that they shouldn't post here and how you know what they should be listening. Keep telling everyone how you're a "big boy". I'm sure that makes you happy.

Ice

RonJovi 03-13-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115433)
Because you're arguing. You say its an "opinion", but can't admit that you worded it wrong. The sky isn't red even though you say it is.

I've never counted, about 20. Most of my friends and family liked the 80s Bon Jovi, most don't like what they're doing now.

Learn to read, dear Ron Jeremy. My definition? I've never given you my definition. I've quoted Wikipedia and I've given you an example how none of what you think is ironic actually isn't. My definition of irony, as of right now, could be summed in a single word: RonJovi.

You keep making me repeat myself, but if that's what it takes, then: Irony is a situation in which there is an incongruity between the literal and the implied meaning.

And I'll repeat it again, nothing like it happened here. YOU say it did, because YOU thought something happened, when it didn't. YOU can think it's ironic all you want, but YOU would be wrong.

Of course I do. I can tell anyone pretty much anything I want, as long as I'm not breaking the law. I also make sure that I don't tell people what to like or dislike, because I find that extremely irritating and stupid.

I never once called you anything. Read the posts back. I'm very careful with things like that, because it's not allowed here and threads can be locked because of it. YOU on the other hand did it a bunch of times and if I wanted to, I could report you to the mods. But I haven't, but it seems to be the wrong move, as you keep continuing. Maybe I should report you?

Oh, look, another assumption and attempt at irritating me with the names. And yes, you are "riled", otherwise you wouldn't need to resort to name-calling and juvenile acts like calling me "Alanis". You've even gone to the lengths of digging up my profile, possibly even my old posts. So yes, you are "riled" up, one could even say "obsessed".

No, my life is not on this board. In fact, my life is so filled with other, more important stuff, that I can not spend enough time on the web discussing and doing the things I like, even though I'd want to.

And even though I don't need to tell you a thing, I will let you know how I gathered those posts.

I first came to DryCounty in 1995. Been here ever since, more or less. I was very active on the bonjovi.com chat and even had a web site dedicated to all the regular chatters there. After Bonjovi.com chat and messageboard closed I started frequenting this place, as BSWJBJ was just utter crap.

We used to have long discussions about everything in the early 2000's, with dozens of posts in a day. After that I've had many years that I hardly posted here, mainly because of people like you that won't allow people to say and think what they want and tell them to leave the board. Got tired of the single-mindedness of the new-Bon-Jovi-lovers and decided that I didn't need assholes like that even on a messageboard. And mostly, because I think Bon Jovi's music since 1998 has been mostly crap.

Then, when the old posters started coming back, I came back. But I check the board when I have the time, which isn't all that much now, about once a day. Most of the time it's just the same old I-love-Bon-Jovi-so-much -crap that I don't bother to read nor post. But when people like you bring up the "you're not a real fan", I'll respond, if for nothing else but to make you think about your "opinons".

So, no, you're nothing new, you don't have an effect on how I think, you're nothing special. I've seen the likes of you come and go so many times that I do'nt even remember all of their names anymore. Every once in a while one of you creeps comes along, tells others what to think and how to act, claim you didn't do it and then fade away.

So, keep at it. Keep up the name-calling, denying your posts, dismissing direct quotes and believing that you know best. Keep telling people that they shouldn't post here and how you know what they should be listening. Keep telling everyone how you're a "big boy". I'm sure that makes you happy.

Ice

Okay, I'm not arguing. I said it wasn't an instruction, you admitted it might not have been. Seems we are in agreement no?

Your narrow description of irony is more like sarcasm Alanis. Irony is wider than that. For example, take the example given in the Oxford English Dictionary:

e.g. "the irony is that I thought he could help me"

How does that fit your interpretation stated above?

The Cambridge Dictionary defines it as:

"a situation in which something which was intended to have a particular result has the opposite or a very different result"

e.g. The irony (of it) is that the new tax system will burden those it was intended to help.

How does that fit your interpretation?

I can't believe I'm trying to explain irony on a Bon Jovi message board :-)

You're "pretty sure anyone who enjoyed Bon Jovi's music in the 80s, wouldn't be too keen on what they're doing today" yet only most of the 20 people you know who liked Bon Jovi in the 80s aren't too keen on what they do today ("not too keen" is also very different to "would prefer anything to WAN" by the way).

You don't do name calling? "Ron Jerermy", "Ronald McDonald". At least the "Alanis" name has a bit of thought behind it which, while not completely going over your head, smacked you right in the forehead.

Also, what are "opinons". Are they like onions or something?

Stick to the "cow farts" Alanis. That's your level.

DevilsSon 03-13-2013 10:57 AM

God....I've participated in loads of useless, meaningless, pointless debates on this forum, especially with Iceman (yes yes, both of use are guilty Iceman)

But this must be the most useless, meaningless, and pointless conversations of them all. Well done to the two of you.

And I can't believe this was allowed to go on....while my Judas Priest topic was closed, when it was actually entertaining and lots of people were participating in it.

Come on mods, show some consistency!

RonJovi 03-13-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 1115439)
God....I've participated in loads of useless, meaningless, pointless debates on this forum, especially with Iceman (yes yes, both of use are guilty Iceman)

But this must be the most useless, meaningless, and pointless conversations of them all. Well done to the two of you.

And I can't believe this was allowed to go on....while my Judas Priest topic was closed, when it was actually entertaining and lots of people were participating in it.

Come on mods, show some consistency!

Haha thank you. It is quite an achievement alright.

Surely the children is learning, no?

Beaky 03-13-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115433)

Ice

What he said...

There is no definition of a 'real fan'. But being bullied and told to 'post somewhere else' or questioned about why you frequent a message board because you dare to suggest that this band, our band, my band as much as anyone else's, are not what they once were live/in the studio or whatever opinion we wish to express... it's our right.

This album as divided fans, new and old but the biggest issue I can see is that those who are pro-anything and everything Bon Jovi do, those who like it before they've even heard it, tend to be very concerned when someone disagrees. Have your opinion, share it, fine. But Ron and others like you... the problem here was you degenerated an actual discussion into name calling (the whole 'Alanis' thing was embarrassing) just to divert attention away from the fact that someone was trying to actual DEBATE with you; if you had a point, it got lost under the fluff, bluster and bravado.

Anyway... got a copy from a friend last week and no, I won't be buying the album. Reviewed it elsewhere.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1115449)
What he said...

There is no definition of a 'real fan'. But being bullied and told to 'post somewhere else' or questioned about why you frequent a message board because you dare to suggest that this band, our band, my band as much as anyone else's, are not what they once were live/in the studio or whatever opinion we wish to express... it's our right.

This album as divided fans, new and old but the biggest issue I can see is that those who are pro-anything and everything Bon Jovi do, those who like it before they've even heard it, tend to be very concerned when someone disagrees. Have your opinion, share it, fine. But Ron and others like you... the problem here was you degenerated an actual discussion into name calling (the whole 'Alanis' thing was embarrassing) just to divert attention away from the fact that someone was trying to actual DEBATE with you; if you had a point, it got lost under the fluff, bluster and bravado.

Anyway... got a copy from a friend last week and no, I won't be buying the album. Reviewed it elsewhere.

No one was 'told to do' anything or 'bullied'.

By the way, I've no problem with people saying Bon Jovi aren't as good as they were. See some of my other posts. In fact, I wouldn't even argue the point because I agree they aren't what they were. Not in dispute from me - since 95 they have gone downhill.

However, Panda was clearly trolling with the post that kicked this off. He flippantly said that the 1D album wasn't any good but was better than WAN but when questioned on it, he hadn't even heard the full 1D album.

I'll take your view on the 'Alanis' reference but it wasn't name calling for name calling's sake - it was to make a point (which I'm assuming you got).

Iceman 03-13-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115438)
Okay, I'm not arguing. I said it wasn't an instruction, you admitted it might not have been. Seems we are in agreement no?

No, we're not. I still say that you claim it to be something that it isn't.

Quote:

Your narrow description of irony is more like sarcasm Alanis. Irony is wider than that.

How does that fit your interpretation?
Read. The. Damn. Post. I don't define irony, it's Wikipedias definition. There are loads more, each different. Every dictionary and encyclopedia as one. But what is missing in all the definitions you quote, are parts of the actual definition. Irony, outside literature, needs a thing or a situation to be expected to happen, then the expected thing not happening, resulting in an amusing result, opposite of what was expected. That didn't happen here, thus your use of the word "ironic" was misplaced and wrong.

Quote:

I can't believe I'm trying to explain irony on a Bon Jovi message board :-)
I can't believe you still don't get what this conversation is about.

Quote:

You're "pretty sure anyone who enjoyed Bon Jovi's music in the 80s, wouldn't be too keen on what they're doing today" yet only most of the 20 people you know who liked Bon Jovi in the 80s aren't too keen on what they do today ("not too keen" is also very different to "would prefer anything to WAN" by the way).
"Anything" is quite clearly an exaggeration. And "not too keen on" was perhaps badly worded, but the message was clear. They'd rather listen to a whole bunch of other albums before touching WAN. And I can't give you exact numbers, because I haven't asked them or conducted a study, and that would be pointless anyway. It's not me saying what Bon Jovi fans listen to, it's you. You should be the one sharing the facts you base your arguments on, not me.

Quote:

You don't do name calling? "Ron Jerermy", "Ronald McDonald". At least the "Alanis" name has a bit of thought behind it which, while not completely going over your head, smacked you right in the forehead.
That's not name calling, it's me having fun with you not understanding (or even reading) the Alanis reference. And me trying to let you know, that it's both stupid and a futile attempt at being "intelligent". The song "Ironic" isn't ironic. If you're trying to be smart and calling me "Alanis" because you think I don't understand irony, THAT is ironic. Also, if you think the song "Ironic" is ironic, well, you'd be wrong. In any case, it's juvenile and stupid and your "point" missed it's mark, but still you kept using it over and over again. Good that you find it amusing.

Quote:

Also, what are "opinons". Are they like onions or something?
You REALLY are running out of arguments.

Quote:

Stick to the "cow farts" Alanis. That's your level.
Sometimes you need to lower yourself to the level of your opponent to be understood. You didn't get the message from my posts, so I had to give you an example you shold understand. I was wrong. You're too hung up on farts to get over the shock and actually read what I wrote.

Oh, and see, there at least 3 other people who agree with me. So, it's not just me, as you assumed. You've assumed an awful lot, have you ever noticed that?

Ice

RonJovi 03-13-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115462)
No, we're not. I still say that you claim it to be something that it isn't.

Read. The. Damn. Post. I don't define irony, it's Wikipedias definition. There are loads more, each different. Every dictionary and encyclopedia as one. But what is missing in all the definitions you quote, are parts of the actual definition. Irony, outside literature, needs a thing or a situation to be expected to happen, then the expected thing not happening, resulting in an amusing result, opposite of what was expected. That didn't happen here, thus your use of the word "ironic" was misplaced and wrong.

I can't believe you still don't get what this conversation is about.

"Anything" is quite clearly an exaggeration. And "not too keen on" was perhaps badly worded, but the message was clear. They'd rather listen to a whole bunch of other albums before touching WAN. And I can't give you exact numbers, because I haven't asked them or conducted a study, and that would be pointless anyway. It's not me saying what Bon Jovi fans listen to, it's you. You should be the one sharing the facts you base your arguments on, not me.

That's not name calling, it's me having fun with you not understanding (or even reading) the Alanis reference. And me trying to let you know, that it's both stupid and a futile attempt at being "intelligent". The song "Ironic" isn't ironic. If you're trying to be smart and calling me "Alanis" because you think I don't understand irony, THAT is ironic. Also, if you think the song "Ironic" is ironic, well, you'd be wrong. In any case, it's juvenile and stupid and your "point" missed it's mark, but still you kept using it over and over again. Good that you find it amusing.

You REALLY are running out of arguments.

Sometimes you need to lower yourself to the level of your opponent to be understood. You didn't get the message from my posts, so I had to give you an example you shold understand. I was wrong. You're too hung up on farts to get over the shock and actually read what I wrote.

Oh, and see, there at least 3 other people who agree with me. So, it's not just me, as you assumed. You've assumed an awful lot, have you ever noticed that?

Ice

Round and round we go.

"Ron Jeremy" or "Ronald McDonald" isn't name calling? Ok then. You keep contradicting yourself.

1. Like when you said you didn't call me a blind follower. But you did.
2. Like when you claimed I said that you had to buy all the Bon Jovi albums to be a fan but I didn't.
3. Like when you said I didn't use the Oxford Dictionary definition of irony, quoted it yourself only to be shown that I'd actually posted it half a dozen pages back.

None of the above were misinterpretations of what you said. You were quite definite and were proved completely wrong. You've misinterpreted a lot of what I've said. If that's because I've worded it in a way that you didn't understand properly, then I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

Again, you admit to exaggerating which you've admitted previously and done several times over the last few days. Exaggeration is the tool of those with flimsy arguments because the facts don't stand up.

In terms of the irony, what you've posted above is exactly what I see has happened but we aren't going to agree on that either. Want to accept that we both have an understanding of irony but disagree on instances that are actually ironic?

You accepted that I may not have been instructing Panda to do anything. You said it was possible but not probable. They were your words. I'm telling you that I wasn't instructing him to do anything. Only I can know if that's true or not, you can't but you've admitted it's possible so take my word for it. Can we accept it now and move on and draw a line under this?

Iceman 03-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115472)
"Ron Jeremy" or "Ronald McDonald" isn't name calling? Ok then. You keep contradicting yourself.

Not compared to what you did. A few quotes from your posts:
"You're some comedian."
"a deluded self-appointment as the policeman of this board"
" pig-headed stupidity"
"Stick to talk of cow farts and let the big boys talk some sense in peace."
"an incoherent, bluster-filled, immature keyboard warrior who has a penchant for cow farts."
"I hope you kept the receipt from your English lessons because I'd be asking for my money back if I was you."
"Alanis, keep making a tit of yourself."

and calling me "Alanis" about a 100 times.

Very mature, I must say. Now, quote where I called you names.

Quote:

1. Like when you said you didn't call me a blind follower. But you did.
Don't just throw that out there, quote me and show me. And also quote what I said after that.

Quote:

2. Like when you claimed I said that you had to buy all the Bon Jovi albums to be a fan but I didn't.
I didn't. Prove it. Quote me.

Quote:

3. Like when you said I didn't use the Oxford Dictionary definition of irony, quoted it yourself only to be shown that I'd actually posted it half a dozen pages back.
I didn't. Prove it, and quote me. And I said you USED it, you just didn't use ALL of it, you chose the parts that fit you and left the rest out.

Quote:

None of the above were misinterpretations of what you said. You were quite definite and were proved completely wrong. You've misinterpreted a lot of what I've said. If that's because I've worded it in a way that you didn't understand properly, then I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.
Again, prove me wrong and quote what I said. I think you'll find that you've misread a lot of things if that's really what you think.

Quote:

Again, you admit to exaggerating which you've admitted previously and done several times over the last few days. Exaggeration is the tool of those with flimsy arguments because the facts don't stand up.
No, it's a way to point out the thing YOU miss or disregard otherwise.

Quote:

In terms of the irony, what you've posted above is exactly what I see has happened but we aren't going to agree on that either. Want to accept that we both have an understanding of irony but disagree on instances that are actually ironic?
That's exactly the point. You think something happened, when it didn't. I'm happy to agree with you on that we disagree on what happened here.

Quote:

You accepted that I may not have been instructing Panda to do anything. You said it was possible but not probable. They were your words. I'm telling you that I wasn't instructing him to do anything. Only I can know if that's true or not, you can't but you've admitted it's possible so take my word for it. Can we accept it now and move on and draw a line under this?
Sure. We disagree on that as well.

Ice

semigoodlookin 03-13-2013 04:29 PM

Hilarious thread this. Neither you are right either to be honest, you are both arguing not to look like the other had the last word. Alanis, I mean Iceman had the tab website I used to use though so he wins by default.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 04:39 PM

Struggling with most of your post to be honest because it's round and round we go. A lot of what you've mentioned there isn't name calling by the way but whatever...

Example 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1113655)
If you want to find blind followers like yourself and RDKopper, go to the BSWJBJ boards

- (Post 108 on page 11 of this thread for your reference).

Then when I took you to task on it:

Quote:

I didn't make an assumption, I said you act like a blind follower.

- (Post 137 on page 14 of the thread).

Example 2

Quote:

You claim you can't be a die-hard if you don't buy all the albums.

- (Post 137 on page 14 of the thread).

And then you said:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1113655)
I never said you can't be a die hard if you don't buy all the albums.

And I never said that you said so. .

-(Post 149 on Page 15 of the thread.)

Example 3

Quote:

I gave you an example. Your "Oxford" definition isn't from the Oxford Dictionary, I don't know where you dug it up, but I don't really care. The actual (non-literary) difinition in the Oxford dictionary is

- (Post 168 on Page 17 of the thread.)

which was after I'd posted this in Post 135 on Page 14:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi
"Irony is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as:

You then even had the cheek to say to me:

Quote:

But what is missing in all the definitions you quote, are parts of the actual definition.

Despite the fact the only definition I have is word for word, the one that is in the online Oxford English Dictionary and the one you yourself quoted dozens of posts later.

I'm offering you the chance to agree to disagree. You want to keep this going, I can do it all day buddy until the mods eventually lock the thread. You want to walk away from it now, I can do that too.

Your words were that it was possible I wasn't instructing Panda to do anything which was what you originally objected to. Your words - not mine. I'm telling you, hand on heart, I wasn't instructing him to do anything and was just offering an opinion. If you don't want to accept that, that's unfortunate.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1115504)
Hilarious thread this. Neither you are right either to be honest, you are both arguing not to look like the other had the last word. Alanis, I mean Iceman had the tab website I used to use though so he wins by default.

You think neither of us are right....you want to get dragged into this bun fight too??? :-)

semigoodlookin 03-13-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115508)
You think neither of us are right....you want to get dragged into this bun fight too??? :-)

Nah brah, I am all about the peace..man. I meant neither of you are wrong too, you are right on some stuff and 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife is right on others.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1115511)
Nah brah, I am all about the peace..man. I meant neither of you are wrong too, you are right on some stuff and 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife is right on others.

No sign of him replying yet though. I'm thinking maybe he met the man of his dreams and then met his beautiful wife?

Iceman 03-13-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1115504)

The site is still up, I just have no desire to learn any new Bon Jovi songs. Someday I might transcribe the missing old ones, but I won't be touching these new ones. They hardly have any guitar on them anyway.

Ice

semigoodlookin 03-13-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115596)
The site is still up, I just have no desire to learn any new Bon Jovi songs. Someday I might transcribe the missing old ones, but I won't be touching these new ones. They hardly have any guitar on them anyway.

Ice

Freezezone right?

Iceman 03-13-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115506)
Example 1

Quote the part where I admitted the mistake and fixed it and gave the reasons why as well, will you? Not really fair to pick and choose to distort the meaning.

Example 2: not in those exact words. But you say RDKopper isn't a blind follower because he wouldn't buy a Bon Jovi album of 1D covers (I think you're wrong BTW). From that I made the leap of you defining blind follower as someone who Would buy all the albums. Not a big leap, but I'll give you this one.

Ecample 3: yes, that's a mistake, I read something wrong somewhere. I'm sure I saw another definition in your posts somewhere, but I can't be bothered to go through all the posts on this iPad, it's hard enough to type on this thing. But you're still leaving out a whole lot of the definition:

* the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect:
‘Don’t go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony
* a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result:
the irony is that I thought he could help me
[count noun]:
one of life’s little ironies
* (also dramatic or tragic irony) a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character’s words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.

And I still say it doesn't apply here.

Quote:

Your words were that it was possible I wasn't instructing Panda to do anything which was what you originally objected to. Your words - not mine. I'm telling you, hand on heart, I wasn't instructing him to do anything and was just offering an opinion. If you don't want to accept that, that's unfortunate.
Ok, lets agree to disagree. I still think your original meaning was something else, but I can live with it.

And as to why I didn't reply sooner, like I said, I have a life. And a pretty busy one at that. Sorry to disappoint you, Ron Howard.

Ice

Iceman 03-13-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1115598)
Freezezone right?

Yeah.

I'm still paying for it, but I haven't updated it in years. I'm thinking about maybe turning it into a wiki where registered users could add and edit stuff, but it'll take a while to put it up, so don't hold your breath. :) Maybe someday...

Ice

Bon Jovial 03-13-2013 09:56 PM

Haven't bought it yet...I'll probably pick up a copy when I see them on tour.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1115600)
Quote the part where I admitted the mistake and fixed it and gave the reasons why as well, will you? Not really fair to pick and choose to distort the meaning.

Example 2: not in those exact words. But you say RDKopper isn't a blind follower because he wouldn't buy a Bon Jovi album of 1D covers (I think you're wrong BTW). From that I made the leap of you defining blind follower as someone who Would buy all the albums. Not a big leap, but I'll give you this one.

Ecample 3: yes, that's a mistake, I read something wrong somewhere. I'm sure I saw another definition in your posts somewhere, but I can't be bothered to go through all the posts on this iPad, it's hard enough to type on this thing. But you're still leaving out a whole lot of the definition:

* the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect:
‘Don’t go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony
* a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result:
the irony is that I thought he could help me
[count noun]:
one of life’s little ironies
* (also dramatic or tragic irony) a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character’s words or actions is clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.

And I still say it doesn't apply here.

Ok, lets agree to disagree. I still think your original meaning was something else, but I can live with it.

And as to why I didn't reply sooner, like I said, I have a life. And a pretty busy one at that. Sorry to disappoint you, Ron Howard.

Ice

No problem Alanis. It's been a whole bunch of fun.

Maybe someday we could write a song about irony together.

"Its like writing shite on a message board,
Or defining words, only to be ignored,
It's the way out that you just didn't take,
And it made you look, like a big stupid fake,
And isn't it ironic, don't you think?
A little too ironic and yeah I really do think"

Or something like that....

Robdee1000 03-13-2013 10:14 PM

I've downloaded it as i dont get paid for a while but i will buy the deluxe version shortly. I only fleeced it cos i couldnt wait to hear it and is now on rotation in the gym and the car.

Beaky 03-13-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115606)
No problem Alanis. It's been a whole bunch of fun.

Maybe someday we could write a song about irony together.

"Its like writing shite on a message board,
Or defining words, only to be ignored,
It's the way out that you just didn't take,
And it made you look, like a big stupid fake,
And isn't it ironic, don't you think?
A little too ironic and yeah I really do think"

Or something like that....

One of you tried to end this with a touch of class and dollop of dignity... one of you made up shitty lyrics and just didn't know when to stop.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1115621)
One of you tried to end this with a touch of class and dollop of dignity... one of you made up shitty lyrics and just didn't know when to stop.

Unknot your knickers pal, I was poking fun at the two of us for writing a dozen pages of pointless crap.

Beaky 03-13-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 1115627)
Unknot your knickers pal, I was poking fun at the two of us for writing a dozen pages of pointless crap.

Really? Came across as a victory dance. Just read it back and maybe use some of that humility your agitator was gracious enough to exude... pal.

RonJovi 03-13-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1115629)
Really? Came across as a victory dance. Just read it back and maybe use some of that humility your agitator was gracious enough to exude... pal.

Wasn't a victory dance at all. Sorry to my agitator if it did.

We spent half a week going round in a circle of nonsense and pointlessness. If you can't laugh at yourself after that, you may as well give up.