Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Phil X (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=55719)

CDHEAVEN 08-21-2013 11:45 AM

Man that is shit!!!

DevilsSon 08-23-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1150586)
The Drills live at the Viper Room - Hotel California - 8.17.2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l976P...ature=youtu.be

Right! How bad is that?!? God damn painful. I mean - honestly, I prefer Richie doing Wonderwall with a bad English accent to that.

I like Phil X but that is properly properly poor. Sounds like Bill and Ted's band trying to play Randy Rhoads licks on top of a really old and damaged Eagles bootleg...pain pain pain!

angelsambo 01-26-2014 08:45 PM

PHIL X Steal Away The Night RANDY RHOADS REMEMBERED

Javier 06-20-2014 07:18 PM

I love this guitar!! Looks and sounds amazing!!!

ticos_stick 06-21-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1178610)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEvK...jtDeimeH6d3e_w

I love this guitar!! Looks and sounds amazing!!!

Post this obscure shit in the other bands board, douche face.

united17 06-21-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1178638)

A bit uncalled for, don't you think?

Javier 06-21-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1178638)

No, It's a Phil X video, I posted it in the Phil X thread. If one of the mods chooses to move it to the other bands board then it will be there, it they don't then it won't. Feel free to not click on it or reply to it and even, check this out I know this might be out there for someone like you but hear me out, ignore it *gasp*..... Good day douche face!!! :)

angelsambo 08-03-2014 06:03 PM

Jon BonJovi & PhilX, 02.08.2014

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuGCIdFIYAMQjxo.jpg:large

hackster73 08-03-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1150586)
The Drills live at the Viper Room - Hotel California - 8.17.2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l976P...ature=youtu.be

Phil X & the Drills Live @ the Viper Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ihD...hhBm-Plld4w9aQ

He sounds like what he is... an average guitar player with a mediocre vocal.

sambos apprentice 08-08-2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1180884)
He sounds like what he is... an average guitar player with a mediocre vocal.

anyone dissing this hotel california performance needs their head checked.

amazing. i dont rate the guy but he is incredible as a geetar player x

Kathleen 08-08-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambos apprentice (Post 1181006)

Agreed - that just blew me away. To be clear the guitar not the vocals LOL

Supersonic 08-08-2014 08:35 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambos apprentice (Post 1181006)

It's not doing much for me either. I won't say he's a bad guitar player, but that guitar solo is pretty much the exact guitar solo Don Felder and Joe Walsh play, with the exception of the last 20 odd seconds. There's nothing special about that, really.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Beaky 08-08-2014 10:18 AM

Didn't do much for me. Agree with Seb, it's pretty much like the original but without the soul...

Guess this is why I was always more into guys like Richie than EVH. Technically a great performance from Phil, just like he did with Jovi but it's a session player's solo... a VERY good session player but still.

semigoodlookin 08-08-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1181011)
Didn't do much for me. Agree with Seb, it's pretty much like the original but without the soul...

Guess this is why I was always more into guys like Richie than EVH. Technically a great performance from Phil, just like he did with Jovi but it's a session player's solo... a VERY good session player but still.

You think Eddie plays without soul?

samboraisgodUK 08-08-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1181013)

I'd say that.

Beaky 08-09-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1181013)

EvH is an enormous talent but for me, personally, there's little heart in what he does. Doesn't mean it can't touch the person listening but in my opinion, it leaves me amazed at his skill and completely cold.

He's the total opposite to a raw guitarist who attacks the instrument, like Joe Perry.

samboraisgodUK 08-10-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1181046)
EvH is an enormous talent but for me, personally, there's little heart in what he does. Doesn't mean it can't touch the person listening but in my opinion, it leaves me amazed at his skill and completely cold.

He's the total opposite to a raw guitarist who attacks the instrument, like Joe Perry.

Completely agree, that's the best post i've seen on here in ages.

semigoodlookin 08-11-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaky (Post 1181046)

Ah fair enough mate. This is not a Van Halen forum and I respect your opinion anyway.

Phil X isn't anywhere near as good as Van Halen though, and to be honest for different reasons he isn't anywhere as good as Richie at his best either. In fact, I think X is a bit shit, but I don't want to get flamed by some who think he is amazing just cause he stepped in.

Captain_jovi 08-11-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1181113)
Ah fair enough mate. This is not a Van Halen forum and I respect your opinion anyway.

Phil X isn't anywhere near as good as Van Halen though, and to be honest for different reasons he isn't anywhere as good as Richie at his best either. In fact, I think X is a bit shit, but I don't want to get flamed by some who think he is amazing just cause he stepped in.

While I'm sure there are people who are making the argument that Phil is better because he stepped in, I firmly believe Phil is a better player than Richie is NOW. Or at least the last ten years. The past is a totally different argument, Richie has just gotten very sloppy in his playing. Sometimes he shines but it's a lot of bum notes and repetitive scales.

semigoodlookin 08-12-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1181114)
While I'm sure there are people who are making the argument that Phil is better because he stepped in, I firmly believe Phil is a better player than Richie is NOW. Or at least the last ten years. The past is a totally different argument, Richie has just gotten very sloppy in his playing. Sometimes he shines but it's a lot of bum notes and repetitive scales.

I am the first to say that Richie has fallen a long way. It has been a long time since he impressed me, and worse than that he is as you say, sloppy (beyond belief sometimes). That's why I qualified what I said with at his best, which I admit has been a long time gone.

That said, I am not entirely sure I prefer Phil X. He is in better technical shape, but does nothing for me, just like Richie doesn't at the moment.

KSantaFe 08-12-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlookin (Post 1181116)
I am the first to say that Richie has fallen a long way. It has been a long time since he impressed me, and worse than that he is as you say, sloppy (beyond belief sometimes). That's why I qualified what I said with at his best, which I admit has been a long time gone.

That said, I am not entirely sure I prefer Phil X. He is in better technical shape, but does nothing for me, just like Richie doesn't at the moment.

So when would you consider Richie to be at his best? Personally I feel that Richie solo projects has never brought out the best in him, and probably never will.

Faceman 08-12-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSantaFe (Post 1181133)
So when would you consider Richie to be at his best? Personally I feel that Richie solo projects has never brought out the best in him, and probably never will.

That's because with his solo projects he never focussed on making a big guitar record but on being a lead singer.

angelsambo 09-24-2014 03:54 AM

great acoustic guitar playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSsD...ature=youtu.be

angelsambo 10-06-2014 10:11 PM

Iceman 10-07-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1182442)

Stairway To Hell! :)

And he said it was John Shanks who recommended him to Jon, not Aldo Nova or anyone from that era.

Ice

Javier 10-07-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1182442)

Interesting that well before anything happened he was already being kept on call just in case.

jovifan93 10-13-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1182461)
Interesting that well before anything happened he was already being kept on call just in case.

Yeah, very interesting indeed. Wonder how long exactly he had to learn the songs (how many weeks it really was).

That explains why he filled in so good the first time in, and takes a bit of the nimbus of him just being so good away. Also interesting that Jon saw that coming - wonder how/why or if he/the band actually talked Richie into going into rehab?

It's my faith 10-14-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1182589)
Yeah, very interesting indeed. Wonder how long exactly he had to learn the songs (how many weeks it really was).

That explains why he filled in so good the first time in, and takes a bit of the nimbus of him just being so good away. Also interesting that Jon saw that coming - wonder how/why or if he/the band actually talked Richie into going into rehab?

I think that Jon have hired some musicians to be ready just in case. Let's say David is sick, there must be someone to replace him for one or two shows. The show must go on! It's the same case with Tico and Rio 2013.

Just like that, Phil was always ready and waiting for a call. He was ready even before 2011, when he took Richie's place for a month.

jovifan93 10-14-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's my faith (Post 1182598)
I think that Jon have hired some musicians to be ready just in case. Let's say David is sick, there must be someone to replace him for one or two shows. The show must go on! It's the same case with Tico and Rio 2013.

Just like that, Phil was always ready and waiting for a call. He was ready even before 2011, when he took Richie's place for a month.

Yeah, probably true and wise of him to do so. But if I recall correctly, the way Phil told the story in the video is that he was contacted a couple of weeks before he had to fill in, not before the tour or the first leg. So maybe Jon was just reacting to Richie's deteriorating condition or so...

bonjovi90 10-14-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1182599)
Yeah, probably true and wise of him to do so. But if I recall correctly, the way Phil told the story in the video is that he was contacted a couple of weeks before he had to fill in, not before the tour or the first leg. So maybe Jon was just reacting to Richie's deteriorating condition or so...

That's what I thought as well. Phil said Jon wanted him to learn the songs for a possible fill-in in May. Since the leg had a break after the Vancouver show in late March Jon probably was more aware of Richie's condition than the general public or the fans. He might've known Richie was thinking about checking into rehab again (or at least that he probably needed to) and therefore concerned as to whether he was going to be able to play the leg in May.

Iceman 10-14-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

You don't do that. That's like having a second wife in the wings waiting for the first one to get sick.

Phil X was on hold because Jon knew Richie would do one thing or the other. There must've been something happening between Jon & Richie we don't know about to make Jon nervous about Richie not finishing the tour. But I can guarantee you that Bon Jovi, or any other band for that matter, do not have a reserve of musicians to jump on the stage in case of an emergency. It just doesn't happen. If someone gets sick, the show gets cancelled or a drum or guitar technician gets to play, or something like that. It would cost an arm and a leg to keep professional musicians on stand by.

Ice

Faceman 10-14-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

I'd be really interested in who he has on hold for the case that he can't perform :D

It's my faith 10-14-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 1182602)
You don't do that. That's like having a second wife in the wings waiting for the first one to get sick.

Of course you do that. It's business. Bon Jovi is a brand, they are pro.
Think of Rio 2013... What would happen if there wasn't the guy who filled for Tico? Bon Jovi would cancel Rio. And maybe next time they won't be accepted in Rio or other big festival. Jon (and his promo business) doesn't want that.

Of course Rio is different from the regular shows. As you can recall, they postpone some regular shows because of Tico.

And then we have Richie. From the beginning of the tour, he wasn't really there and willing to stay. Think like Jon now "if Richie go away, I would have to stop the tour, 100+ shows! No, this is catastrophe!"

So what's the solution to be always ready for such things? Have a bunch of musicians (except a singer of course, Jon is THE brand :P ) to be always ready!

It's not a love story, it's business.

dumy 10-14-2014 08:48 PM

....and hundreds of employees or crew members who must be paid

Iceman 10-15-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's my faith (Post 1182607)
Of course you do that. It's business. Bon Jovi is a brand, they are pro.

If you do not know about how the business works, you really shouldn't be saying anything about it.

No, it does NOT work like that. Bands, big or small, do NOT have backup people waiting to be called onto the stage. First of all, having people like Phil X on hold for whole tours would cost a LOT. And if you don't pay them, they won't be on hold. They're doing their own things.

Quote:

Think of Rio 2013... What would happen if there wasn't the guy who filled for Tico? Bon Jovi would cancel Rio. And maybe next time they won't be accepted in Rio or other big festival. Jon (and his promo business) doesn't want that.
There was nobody to fill in for Tico. They had to get someone once they knew Tico couldn't play. Rich Scanella wasn't on hold, he didn't even know the songs. The reason he played there was that Jon knew him and had played with him previously. If he couldn't have done it, someone else would've been chosen. They DO NOT have anyone standing by in case of an emergency. No band does.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...pitalized.html

Quote:

Of course Rio is different from the regular shows. As you can recall, they postpone some regular shows because of Tico.
Yes, that's what usually happens when a band member gets sick. So, you see, they don't have any backup players anywhere waiting. Because no one does that!

Quote:

And then we have Richie. From the beginning of the tour, he wasn't really there and willing to stay. Think like Jon now "if Richie go away, I would have to stop the tour, 100+ shows! No, this is catastrophe!"

So what's the solution to be always ready for such things? Have a bunch of musicians (except a singer of course, Jon is THE brand :P ) to be always ready!
Richie was a totally different, isolated thing. He'd gone into rehab before, and they had Phil X learn the set and play the few shows. Jon knew Richie was going to have problems sooner or later, so he played it safe. But still, Phil X wasn't on stand by, he wasn't paid to wait. If he couldn't have done the gig, someone else would have.

And again, and I can not stress this enough, there are no other musicians waiting to be called to play with Bon Jovi. Or any other band for that matter.

Quote:

It's not a love story, it's business.
Yes, it's very much a business. Which is why you don't pay people to wait. Professional musicians aren't cheap labor. Even Bon Jovi don't have the money to spend for people just waiting. It just doesn't happen. Ask anyone who's ever been on tour if they had people as backups. Ask any manager, any tour manager, any band. It just doesn't happen. I know, you think you do.

Ice

angelsambo 01-25-2015 02:09 AM

Phil X @ Randy Rhoads Remembered NAMM Jam 2015 - The Observatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tx4...421914688#t=23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1421914688

Javier 01-27-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1184892)

That was awesome!!

Fredrik 01-27-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1184892)

Guitar - Yes!
Vocals - Damn, that's bad. Or well, no, horrific.

Rdkopper 01-27-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

I wonder who Jon would hired to replace him? Obie?

Jon is lucky to have the KOS fill in for players if needed. There is a bass player, drummer, keyboardist who can play a standard amount of Jovi songs. Jon could also pull out an acoustic set or a partial one. Plus, there are professionals out there who could do a basic set by ear if Jon had to do a show in an emergency situation. Lastly, I'm sure they have tracks prerecorded to fill in some gaps as well.

The guy from the KOS who replaced Tico in Rio did an outstanding job. He was probably familiar with most of the songs from the KOS shows and for the other songs, he just played some basic beats by ear.

MrIks from Finland 01-28-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1184932)
I wonder who Jon would hired to replace him? Obie?

Jon is lucky to have the KOS fill in for players if needed. There is a bass player, drummer, keyboardist who can play a standard amount of Jovi songs. Jon could also pull out an acoustic set or a partial one. Plus, there are professionals out there who could do a basic set by ear if Jon had to do a show in an emergency situation. Lastly, I'm sure they have tracks prerecorded to fill in some gaps as well.

The guy from the KOS who replaced Tico in Rio did an outstanding job. He was probably familiar with most of the songs from the KOS shows and for the other songs, he just played some basic beats by ear.

I think we all know that the best choise for every instrument is Mr. Santa Bandiera.