Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Muse album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54155)

Thunderstrucker 09-27-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1090629)
does this album appear to be slightly pretentious? it may come off like that and do get that feeling a bit, yes. it's it their best work? not at all. is it a horrible album? i don't think it is.

This is spot on! I started listening with no expectations. I did not start listening hoping to hear another Origin of Symmetry but just a new album of Muse.
For now, Big Freeze is my favorite track.

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 09-27-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1090607)
But still I have to say that Unsustainable is one terrible creation. Brings the album down by a lot for me. The rest is fine. It doesn't beat The Resistance for me but it is still a Muse album.

I salute you,
TS

p.s.
But really, Unsustainable?....

Yes, really. Maybe it's a first impressions thing? I first heard it and saw it in my living room in HD on my 55" screen with the sound system effectively pumped. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as effective on me without the visual image of the angry red robot suddenly filling the screen? As an audio/visual presentation I think it's great and hope they do something with it at the live shows. It was just easy to keep perspective on it as just an interlude. Unsustainable was used to herald the album's coming. It wasn't the first single... just the first promotion of the album.

Madness has been a slow burn for me since I was thrown by it as a first choice for a single.. but with each listen I find myself beginning to love it. Supremacy would have had more immediate impact on me, but I'm sure we'll get plenty of that one. It's likely going to be the new opening song for the tour.

One pleasant surprise that has accompanied listening to the entire album repeatedly since I got a hold of it on Tuesday is I'm really loving Survival now. Initially I thought it was fine.. a bit cliche', Muse-style. The Olympics performance didn't help since that choir they had behind them only put the cheese-factor over the top. Now that it stands within the context of the album away from the "official song of the 2012 Summer Olympics" title it's shining brighter. The "Prelude" that now leads into it lends some distinction as an album track. Purely psychological stuff, of course. I doubt I'm the only one though who was initially resistant to it and is now surrendering. The guitars are just so satisfying!

This is the type of album that takes repeated listens before it really begins to take hold. I wasn't immediately floored by it, but there is something addictive about it that keeps me playing it over and over. The only track that I find not working for me is "Explorers." That chorus is way too repetitive.

Thunderstrucker 09-27-2012 02:20 PM

I agree with you on Survival. That song is growing on me as well as is the whole album. For me now it has about as much tracks that I like and dislike as The Resistance had. I think 2nd Law is refreshing as well. It may not be that awesome but they sure keep trying stuff and only for that it is worth listening to.

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 09-27-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1090671)
I agree with you on Survival. That song is growing on me as well as is the whole album. For me now it has about as much tracks that I like and dislike as The Resistance had. I think 2nd Law is refreshing as well. It may not be that awesome but they sure keep trying stuff and only for that it is worth listening to.

I salute you,
TS

I'm at that point, too. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it more than "The Resistance." Now.. I like it equally. It fills a different need from the previous album, which is what it should do.

Bleeding Purist 10-09-2012 11:19 PM

Just picked up my floor tickets for the Staples show in LA this morning. Will probably try to go to additional nights since they are likely to add another night.

Did anyone pick up the double-disc set with the DVD? It's pretty interesting with some great footage of the choir and orchestra doing their bits. You might even learn to appreciate Unsustainable more ;)

ticos_stick 10-09-2012 11:27 PM

Okay, so I've given the album a good few listens and I'm pleased to say I like it. Apart from the rubbish dub step parts this is a very fun album to listen to. Matt seems to have upped his game vocally and guitar wise, there's some great emotion put into some of the songs, especially the final part of Madness. Panic Station is what I expect of Muse pushing their sound into new territories, it's just a joy from start to finish. Chris singing on two of the later tracks on the album was a nice surprise too.

7/10

Thunderstrucker 10-10-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1091445)
Just picked up my floor tickets for the Staples show in LA this morning. Will probably try to go to additional nights since they are likely to add another night.

Did anyone pick up the double-disc set with the DVD? It's pretty interesting with some great footage of the choir and orchestra doing their bits. You might even learn to appreciate Unsustainable more ;)

I did get the CD/DVD package. The making of is interesting indeed. Yet I don't have anything with Unsustainable.

The album is fine but to me not as good as The Resistance:

6-7/10

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2012 09:34 AM

The first tour show has happened in Montpellier and the new opening song has been revealed.... Oh, I am just so stoked! Perfect choice! I knew something needed to precede Supremacy, it's better as the 2nd song in the set.

Of course, a few of you here are going to react poorly to the news..... hopefully those of you going will be won over then.

Thunderstrucker 10-18-2012 09:12 PM

I would go to their concert but it was sold out in like 10 minutes. Then again, if I would be going I would have had their most crap song at the start of the show and things would only get better ;-)

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 10-19-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1092640)
I would go to their concert but it was sold out in like 10 minutes. Then again, if I would be going I would have had their most crap song at the start of the show and things would only get better ;-)

I salute you,
TS

Did you read the NME magazine interview that goes over the show details? Chris explains that Unsustainable was always designed to be the tour opener, just as "We Are the Universe" was the Resistance Tour opener. He says they decided to go ahead and add Unsustainable to the album so that the audience would be familiar with it in advance. Isolated System also plays a major role in the stage production later in the set.

Reaction to the live presentation of Unsustainable seems favorable with people finding they like it in that setting. It is quite dramatic and serves as a good build up to Supremacy.

I love that f**king robot! ;)