Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Muse album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54155)

Panda 08-28-2012 02:48 AM

New Muse album

Sucks. Wow.

Well... the single does anyway.

Peterson 08-28-2012 11:47 PM

Survival is brilliant and only heard madness a couple of times, but really liking it.

Really looking forward to the new album

Thunderstrucker 08-29-2012 12:37 AM

I heard that the new single sounds like dubstep?
I haven't heard it myself yet but if that is true it could very good be I skip this one.

I salute you,
TS

Panda 08-29-2012 12:39 AM

It does. I hate using the words, but really - Muse completely sold out. The new single sucks all kinds of balls.

Peterson 08-29-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1087969)
I heard that the new single sounds like dubstep?
I haven't heard it myself yet but if that is true it could very good be I skip this one.

I salute you,
TS

decide for youself ;)

I wasn't keen at first, but hearing it more and more on the radio and liking it more each time. Definately a grower IMO

Jim Bon Jovi 08-29-2012 10:54 PM

The one they played at the Olympic closing ceremony wasn't great but it wasn't terrible.

Dunno where the dubstep reference is coming from.

I heard Madness yesterday. I liked it though it's a bit of a weird choice for a single.

Thunderstrucker 08-30-2012 10:50 PM

Madness doesn't sound all that bad but then again, it's a chord that has been used for many popular song. You can sing many songs while playing Madness but fair is far, I heard worse :)

Update: After a second listen it actually grew on me already. Still not coming close to The Resistance though.

I salute you,
TS

Peterson 09-24-2012 10:41 PM

Thats the album leaked, off to bed soon though, so will need to wait until tomorrow to give it a listen

Bleeding Purist 09-25-2012 11:45 AM

Listening to it at the moment. Have it freshly loaded in the car CD player for a 2 hour road trip for work tomorrow. Couldn't come at a better time!

I agree.. Madness is a strange choice for a first single, but it's definitely growing on me more and more.

I saw and heard "The 2nd Law Unsustainable" and I absolutely fell in love with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_SJI...e_gdata_player). Let's remember this is live instruments that are playing here. I love the groove it has going along with the robotic voice. It works. "But.. it's DubStep!!" Yeah, so? If it is, it's damn good. I did go check out Skrillex in advance to have some idea of what the hell was influencing Matt leading up to this album.

I'm looking at the big picture in how it fits in with the whole and really looking forward to hearing these tracks performed side-by-side with the rest of their library. Overall, it's a more laid-back Muse, but one that adds that dimension to the catalog.

Thunderstrucker 09-25-2012 12:15 PM

Your video doesn't work anymore. I got the leaked one as well. Will check it later this week. I must say I do like madness.

I salute you,
TS

ticos_stick 09-25-2012 03:25 PM

I was a Muse fan but they've been alienating their fans since Black Holes and Revelations. Nobody got into Muse for albums full of prog rock orchestral shit, now they're going all Dubstep. Possibly the worst genre of music ever.

Awful. I yearn for the real Muse to come back.

Bleeding Purist 09-25-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1090541)
Your video doesn't work anymore. I got the leaked one as well. Will check it later this week. I must say I do like madness.

I salute you,
TS

Thanks for letting me know. Don't know what happened there, but I've fixed the link.

Bleeding Purist 09-25-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1090548)
I was a Muse fan but they've been alienating their fans since Black Holes and Revelations. Nobody got into Muse for albums full of prog rock orchestral shit, now they're going all Dubstep. Possibly the worst genre of music ever.

Awful. I yearn for the real Muse to come back.

They are not going all Dubstep. It's one track that looks to take the genre where DubStep never went. The album is varied, though if you aren't liking the evolution since Black Holes then you aren't going to like it.

ticos_stick 09-25-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1090553)
They are not going all Dubstep. It's one track that looks take the genre where it never did. The album is varied, though if you aren't liking the evolution since Black Holes then you aren't going to like it.

Okay, I worded that a bit strongly. I just hate dubstep and can't believe Muse would even go near it.

Thunderstrucker 09-26-2012 10:53 AM

I really do like Madness and the album as a whole is growing on me. Big Freeze is one of my favorites. But still I have to say that Unsustainable is one terrible creation. Brings the album down by a lot for me. The rest is fine. It doesn't beat The Resistance for me but it is still a Muse album.

I salute you,
TS

p.s.
But really, Unsustainable?....

Panda 09-26-2012 11:07 AM

the only song I've heard so far is madness and my opinion still hasn't changed. sounds like a pile of crap to me.

Yvonne 09-26-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterson (Post 1090527)
Thats the album leaked, off to bed soon though, so will need to wait until tomorrow to give it a listen

i'm glad you said this, will have a look for it when i finish work :)

Living_on_my_Hair 09-26-2012 03:11 PM

Its a great album. Mat Bellamy's guitar work on this album alone is enough for me to start raving about..

andi

ticos_stick 09-26-2012 05:10 PM

I'm going to give it a chance. Listening now.

Roxannah 09-26-2012 05:29 PM

i listened to it a few times now and while i don't love it, it's enjoyable. i read a couple of reviews and they totally murder this album. come on, it's not that bad.

i don't like Dubstep. however, i think they kinda made it work in Madness. it's not a song i particularly like, but it blends well with the rest of the instruments. and i'm a sucker for orchestration, so it's always a great addition to any song for me.

does this album appear to be slightly pretentious? it may come off like that and do get that feeling a bit, yes. it's it their best work? not at all. is it a horrible album? i don't think it is.

Thunderstrucker 09-26-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxannah (Post 1090629)
does this album appear to be slightly pretentious? it may come off like that and do get that feeling a bit, yes. it's it their best work? not at all. is it a horrible album? i don't think it is.

This is spot on! I started listening with no expectations. I did not start listening hoping to hear another Origin of Symmetry but just a new album of Muse.
For now, Big Freeze is my favorite track.

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 09-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1090607)
But still I have to say that Unsustainable is one terrible creation. Brings the album down by a lot for me. The rest is fine. It doesn't beat The Resistance for me but it is still a Muse album.

I salute you,
TS

p.s.
But really, Unsustainable?....

Yes, really. Maybe it's a first impressions thing? I first heard it and saw it in my living room in HD on my 55" screen with the sound system effectively pumped. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as effective on me without the visual image of the angry red robot suddenly filling the screen? As an audio/visual presentation I think it's great and hope they do something with it at the live shows. It was just easy to keep perspective on it as just an interlude. Unsustainable was used to herald the album's coming. It wasn't the first single... just the first promotion of the album.

Madness has been a slow burn for me since I was thrown by it as a first choice for a single.. but with each listen I find myself beginning to love it. Supremacy would have had more immediate impact on me, but I'm sure we'll get plenty of that one. It's likely going to be the new opening song for the tour.

One pleasant surprise that has accompanied listening to the entire album repeatedly since I got a hold of it on Tuesday is I'm really loving Survival now. Initially I thought it was fine.. a bit cliche', Muse-style. The Olympics performance didn't help since that choir they had behind them only put the cheese-factor over the top. Now that it stands within the context of the album away from the "official song of the 2012 Summer Olympics" title it's shining brighter. The "Prelude" that now leads into it lends some distinction as an album track. Purely psychological stuff, of course. I doubt I'm the only one though who was initially resistant to it and is now surrendering. The guitars are just so satisfying!

This is the type of album that takes repeated listens before it really begins to take hold. I wasn't immediately floored by it, but there is something addictive about it that keeps me playing it over and over. The only track that I find not working for me is "Explorers." That chorus is way too repetitive.

Thunderstrucker 09-27-2012 01:20 PM

I agree with you on Survival. That song is growing on me as well as is the whole album. For me now it has about as much tracks that I like and dislike as The Resistance had. I think 2nd Law is refreshing as well. It may not be that awesome but they sure keep trying stuff and only for that it is worth listening to.

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 09-27-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1090671)
I agree with you on Survival. That song is growing on me as well as is the whole album. For me now it has about as much tracks that I like and dislike as The Resistance had. I think 2nd Law is refreshing as well. It may not be that awesome but they sure keep trying stuff and only for that it is worth listening to.

I salute you,
TS

I'm at that point, too. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it more than "The Resistance." Now.. I like it equally. It fills a different need from the previous album, which is what it should do.

Bleeding Purist 10-09-2012 10:19 PM

Just picked up my floor tickets for the Staples show in LA this morning. Will probably try to go to additional nights since they are likely to add another night.

Did anyone pick up the double-disc set with the DVD? It's pretty interesting with some great footage of the choir and orchestra doing their bits. You might even learn to appreciate Unsustainable more ;)

ticos_stick 10-09-2012 10:27 PM

Okay, so I've given the album a good few listens and I'm pleased to say I like it. Apart from the rubbish dub step parts this is a very fun album to listen to. Matt seems to have upped his game vocally and guitar wise, there's some great emotion put into some of the songs, especially the final part of Madness. Panic Station is what I expect of Muse pushing their sound into new territories, it's just a joy from start to finish. Chris singing on two of the later tracks on the album was a nice surprise too.

7/10

Thunderstrucker 10-10-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist (Post 1091445)
Just picked up my floor tickets for the Staples show in LA this morning. Will probably try to go to additional nights since they are likely to add another night.

Did anyone pick up the double-disc set with the DVD? It's pretty interesting with some great footage of the choir and orchestra doing their bits. You might even learn to appreciate Unsustainable more ;)

I did get the CD/DVD package. The making of is interesting indeed. Yet I don't have anything with Unsustainable.

The album is fine but to me not as good as The Resistance:

6-7/10

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2012 08:34 AM

The first tour show has happened in Montpellier and the new opening song has been revealed.... Oh, I am just so stoked! Perfect choice! I knew something needed to precede Supremacy, it's better as the 2nd song in the set.

Of course, a few of you here are going to react poorly to the news..... hopefully those of you going will be won over then.

Thunderstrucker 10-18-2012 08:12 PM

I would go to their concert but it was sold out in like 10 minutes. Then again, if I would be going I would have had their most crap song at the start of the show and things would only get better ;-)

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1092640)
I would go to their concert but it was sold out in like 10 minutes. Then again, if I would be going I would have had their most crap song at the start of the show and things would only get better ;-)

I salute you,
TS

Did you read the NME magazine interview that goes over the show details? Chris explains that Unsustainable was always designed to be the tour opener, just as "We Are the Universe" was the Resistance Tour opener. He says they decided to go ahead and add Unsustainable to the album so that the audience would be familiar with it in advance. Isolated System also plays a major role in the stage production later in the set.

Reaction to the live presentation of Unsustainable seems favorable with people finding they like it in that setting. It is quite dramatic and serves as a good build up to Supremacy.

I love that f**king robot! ;)

Thunderstrucker 10-19-2012 09:10 AM

Maybe if I would go to their concert I would change my mind about the song. On paper I am not impressed by it nor am I impressed about the track on the album. Maybe it comes to shine when used as tour opener. I cannot say :)

I salute you,
TS

Bleeding Purist 10-19-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 1092662)
Maybe if I would go to their concert I would change my mind about the song. On paper I am not impressed by it nor am I impressed about the track on the album. Maybe it comes to shine when used as tour opener. I cannot say :)

I salute you,
TS

I guess I have faith that you'll get another chance to see the show if not on this leg. Perhaps next summer? I would love to head over there if they do a stadium tour next summer.

Thunderstrucker 10-19-2012 11:37 AM

I doubt they will sell out a stadium. The venue they will be playing is the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam which holds 17.000 people. The smallest stadium suited for concert is the Gelredome which holds 35.0000 people. I wouldn't mind it but I doubt it will happen. What I don't get is why they don't give an extra concert as the first one sold out so rapidly.

I salute you,
TS

ticos_stick 10-21-2012 07:59 PM

Live full show from The iTunes festival -

Thunderstrucker 10-21-2012 10:22 PM

Thanks. Am downloading it to mp3 to give it a proper listen tomorrow. Cool to see how the bassparts are played during Madness.

Thanks for the link!

I salute you,
TS

Roxannah 10-27-2012 05:18 AM

for some inexplicable reason, i find myself liking Unsustainable. this is not the sort of thing i would generally like, but i do!

Survival still doesn't do anything for me. it's not terrible, it just leaves me cold. my favourites are Supremacy, Follow Me, Big Freeze and i quite like Madness too. and Prelude, although i don't like the actual song it preludes :) i'll definitely go see them if they have a date here, they usually do.

Captain Walrus 10-27-2012 02:36 PM

After one listen, I think I like the album more than The Resistance ... which wasn't a bad album, but they dialled the heaviness way down on it, which they've rectified a bit on The 2nd Law

ticos_stick 11-01-2012 08:18 PM

Live concert from BBC Radio 2 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Concert_Muse/

Bleeding Purist 11-01-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1094223)

Thanks for the link!

skogs 11-05-2012 01:54 AM

I was at the Muse gig in Dublin last night. I never really got into them before but I went along with friends who are fans and have to say I was bowled over by how great they were! An amazing show, from start to finish. I was told they were great live and they really are. The stage set up with the lights/moving video screens was outstanding. The place was hopping! Sensational. I'll be listening to them more from now on..