Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hurricane Butterfly (unreleased song) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70375)

Rdkopper 09-30-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1244846)
Jon's saying a new album could come out next summer. There's hope and there's delusional hope. There's just no market right now for unreleased (or even released) Bon Jovi songs right now :(

Don't forget, there was a point when we were supposed to get special editions of other albums so the internet was there... I blame the fans for not supporting the Sons Of Beaches project... This is clearly what happens when people steal music and don't support the artist...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 09-30-2018 02:09 PM

Yeah blame the internet... :rolleyes:
The internet is around for other bands as well and doesn't stop other artists from releasing cool special editions.

Hardly the fans' fault when the release is quite uninteresting to start with.

Rdkopper 09-30-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1245085)
Yeah blame the internet... :rolleyes:
The internet is around for other bands as well and doesn't stop other artists from releasing cool special editions.

Hardly the fans' fault when the release is quite uninteresting to start with.

People begged Obie for those demos for many years so I wouldn't necessarily call it uninteresting.... I do however agree that they could have stuck a few never heard before bonus tracks like In America or a live version of Cadillac Man or just some random title we've never even heard of... but I still don't think it would have made a difference...

This was a project strictly for diehards so I believe the idea behind this was, spend zero on promotion because its really not needed and just let the fans self promote it...

Unfortunately Fans just had a pissy attitude towards it from the start. Some on here but also on YouTube, Amazon, and other sites too... "I already own X amount of copies of NJ, why should I buy another one" or "Jon is just doing this to increase album sales" or "Jon really wants that football team"

So yes, roll your eyes all you want but the reality is, lack of fan support in combination with the internet ruined this project which in turn, ruined the chances of future releases...

rolo_tomachi 09-30-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1245086)
People begged Obie for those demos for many years so I wouldn't necessarily call it uninteresting.... I do however agree that they could have stuck a few never heard before bonus tracks like In America or a live version of Cadillac Man or just some random title we've never even heard of... but I still don't think it would have made a difference...

This was a project strictly for diehards so I believe the idea behind this was, spend zero on promotion because its really not needed and just let the fans self promote it...

Unfortunately Fans just had a pissy attitude towards it from the start. Some on here but also on YouTube, Amazon, and other sites too... "I already own X amount of copies of NJ, why should I buy another one" or "Jon is just doing this to increase album sales" or "Jon really wants that football team"

So yes, roll your eyes all you want but the reality is, lack of fan support in combination with the internet ruined this project which in turn, ruined the chances of future releases...

That launch was late, the tour edition 2010 sold well, and that was only 4 years before, it would have been interesting to have launched those special editions that they wanted to launch in 2014 four years earlier.

However, it's been 8 years now, now is a good time to launch a deluxe edition of other albums like Slippery When Wet, but it seems that there is no plan, and it's a pity, because with the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame moment was would be been a great strategy to launch a great deluxe edition.

bonjovi90 09-30-2018 03:56 PM

The idea of giving it to the fans was nice, but the execution was completely off.
First of all we got the fourth edition (third remaster) of New Jersey and yet none of them had a real improvement other than having added even more compresstion to make it sound louder again.

Obie knew that the fans wanted these tracks, at the same time he knew how much Cadillac Man was wanted and what had been around amongst fans (rumour even has it that he was one of those leaking those demo sessions in the early 90's). Yet we ended up with stuff every diehard already had. The only new addition was the original Diamond Ring, House of Fire and a different take of Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore. Furthermore, those demos didn't sound much better than what fans had already remastered prior.
Then they added Access All Areas which had been around in perfect quality from Japanese Laserdisc since the mid-90's.

They could've done short clips on their Youtube channel, sat down with the band to have them tell some stories about the songs, some anecdotes from that era (I don't think Jon was really involved in this). Add some footage from the studio. Add live content as a bonus. Either a DVD or a live CD. Hell, get that online vault backup where you could unlock bonus tracks like in 2010. There were so many wasted opportunities there. In the end, it was more or less a collection of stuff that had already been out there.
The Box Set had the same target (diehards) and everything around it was done so much better.

And my fear actually is that since the record deal clearly was renegotiated and, as someone here assumed, might have the label act as a distributor for what- and whenever the band releases something, this whole thing might've dried out anyway. Jon doesn't care about re-releasing old stuff because that's what nostalgia acts are about in his book.

Rdkopper 09-30-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1245090)
Jon doesn't care about re-releasing old stuff because that's what nostalgia acts are about in his book.

I can go in either direction... although I agree about the nostalgia thing, I also don't think Jon wants those songs to die in his vault...

With Richie leaving and Jon continuing with new guys, I think he wants to prove himself a few times with new material before he starts with compilation type albums...

YOVANAfromPeru 09-30-2018 07:08 PM

Box set took some time to make it and also JBJ thought it was silly
but since "this book's not done yet" I have some hopes...

and Rdkopper Stop talking about death! They gonna live forever, just like us... lol

Rdkopper 09-30-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1245099)
Box set took some time to make it and also JBJ thought it was silly
but since "this book's not done yet" I have some hopes...

and Rdkopper Stop talking about death! They gonna live forever, just like us... lol

Captain_jovi 09-30-2018 11:51 PM

They put out songs such a small subsection of fans already had aimed at the same small subsection of fans. That's not the internet's fault. Mix that with doing 0 percent of the band's camp actually promoting it. Leaving it up to the fans? Give me a break, they had every opportunity to do something special to entice the audience that didn't have those songs already. They were lazy and it backfired.

Bounce7800 10-01-2018 11:06 AM

It was on Spotify as well, so what was the point of buying it for most people.
I bought it, but only listen to the streaming or online files.
The CD package wasn't exactly amazing to make people part with the cash, that and just being another NJ reissue. They should have called it the "Sons Of Beaches demos" and given it new artwork etc..

Blaming the fans for not buying it is a cop out. If it was good enough, people will buy it. It was a small release for diehards, of which the NJ album being included was pointless as everyone has it. It got no promo so what do you expect?

If they want to release rare tracks and demos, get them on itunes/google play to purchase online, and do a vinyl edition for the collectors.