Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Iron Maiden (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=41233)

Captain Walrus 06-14-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 994759)
Final Frontier Tour setlist - 11 post 2000 songs, 5 ultra-predictable classics. All of a sudden it's a little less likely I'll be making the journey to Sonsiphere.

# The Wicker Man
# Ghost Of The Navigator
# Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
# El Dorado
# Paschendale
# The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
# These Colours Don't Run
# Blood Brothers
# Wildest Dreams
# No More Lies
# Brave New World
# Fear Of The Dark
# Iron Maiden

# Encore:
# The Number of the Beast
# Hallowed Be Thy Name
# Running Free

No More Lies and Blood Brothers are two of my absolute favourite Maiden songs, so sounds awesome to me!

C'monFeet 06-15-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 996061)
No More Lies and Blood Brothers are two of my absolute favourite Maiden songs, so sounds awesome to me!

The thing with Maiden, is that an outsider couldn't tell the difference between a good show and a bad show; or a good setlist and a bad setlist, or get *at all* why it matters.

The *worst* Iron Maiden show will be an 8/10 on the general scale of "how good is music"?

As a Maiden fan, it's impossible not to get opinionated.

I would *love* to see this show, am absolutely certain I would have a ball and be blown away by the playing. And yes, Blood Brothers is absolutely the best slow song Maiden have ever recorded and one of the highlights of their recent career.

And I *do* consider AMOLAD do be as good an album as they have ever written. It's just that their later period hasn't been as filled with thril as their best 80's work - doesn't have quite the excitement factor for their very best shows.

But (El Dorado aside) there isn't a single song on the setlist I haven't seen at least once over the past decade - the five "classic" tunes they play are played at everysingle****ingshow when there two dozen more classics every person in the crowd would love to hear just as much.

As a consumer, it's impossible not to judge value for money. A Maiden-by-numbers show is in exactly the same price bracket as a once-in-a-lifetime ticket for Roger Waters performing The Wall.

When Maiden pull out a setlist like this - "we are gonna play the songs that we want to play, and you're gonna bloody well like it*" they make that decision a little easier.

* And then for your patience, we'll reward you with Hallowed be Thy Name. Again.

DevilsSon 06-15-2010 01:29 AM

just read they're playing my hometown this summer. Heh...they're very first gig in Transylvania. \,,/

Haven't listened to Maiden in a very long time. Mindblowing band...it's just that I am either into extreme metal (well, trash, speed, even death) or into waaaaay softer stuff (like beautiful beautiful Maria Gadu from Brazil right now )...so Iron Maiden fall a bit short. Still...haven;t seen them since 2003. It's high time to see them again...

yomamasofat 06-15-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 994759)
Final Frontier Tour setlist - 11 post 2000 songs, 5 ultra-predictable classics. All of a sudden it's a little less likely I'll be making the journey to Sonsiphere.

# The Wicker Man
# Ghost Of The Navigator
# El Dorado
# Paschendale
# Blood Brothers
# Wildest Dreams
# No More Lies
# Brave New World
# Fear Of The Dark
# Iron Maiden

# Encore:
# Hallowed Be Thy Name
# Running Free

This section is very weak:
# Blood Brothers
# Wildest Dreams
# No More Lies

I'd swap Wildest Dreams with Rainmaker and the other 3 with DOD, Montsegur and maybe one song from Blaze era like Virus. Or play some rarely performed songs prior to X Factor.

I'm not a post FOTD hater, I like BNW and DOD but despise AMOLAD. This is not the greatest setlist ever but it's better than the AMOLAD tour setlist, which was self indulgent and lame.

Panda 06-15-2010 09:19 AM

I know im being a bit of a bitch right now, but you cant have a maiden concert without run to the hills and bruce wavin the union jack during the trooper.

As much as I like this set, and also seing that Pacshendale is rotating through the set (which I really want to see live) I really wish they couldve at least included their (arguably) two most popular songs in the set.

- and we KNOW you played all 80s classics last tour, but that doesnt mean you cant play them again this tour. The setlist I got for the somewhere in time tour was simply amazing. I would pay double the money to see it again. Now Im kinda (maybe, not judging yet) regretting the $100 I spent on a ticket.

Anyway Im seing them in a couple weeks for the 2nd time so it should be fun.

C'monFeet 06-15-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 996156)
maybe one song from Blaze era like Virus.

Then it would *have* to be the Clansman!!!!

steel_horse75 06-15-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LozLovesBonJovi (Post 757337)
Who likes them? I don't think i've heard their music before. Which album/song should i listen to first to get a good grounding? :)

Number of the Beast.
I have all 11 studio albums (but I dont have the blaze bayley ones).
Good band.

Captain Walrus 06-15-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 996101)
The thing with Maiden, is that an outsider couldn't tell the difference between a good show and a bad show; or a good setlist and a bad setlist, or get *at all* why it matters.

The *worst* Iron Maiden show will be an 8/10 on the general scale of "how good is music"?

As a Maiden fan, it's impossible not to get opinionated.

I would *love* to see this show, am absolutely certain I would have a ball and be blown away by the playing. And yes, Blood Brothers is absolutely the best slow song Maiden have ever recorded and one of the highlights of their recent career.

And I *do* consider AMOLAD do be as good an album as they have ever written. It's just that their later period hasn't been as filled with thril as their best 80's work - doesn't have quite the excitement factor for their very best shows.

But (El Dorado aside) there isn't a single song on the setlist I haven't seen at least once over the past decade - the five "classic" tunes they play are played at everysingle****ingshow when there two dozen more classics every person in the crowd would love to hear just as much.

As a consumer, it's impossible not to judge value for money. A Maiden-by-numbers show is in exactly the same price bracket as a once-in-a-lifetime ticket for Roger Waters performing The Wall.

When Maiden pull out a setlist like this - "we are gonna play the songs that we want to play, and you're gonna bloody well like it*" they make that decision a little easier.

* And then for your patience, we'll reward you with Hallowed be Thy Name. Again.

I got into Maiden a little before they released Dance Of Death (which is my favourite of their albums), and first saw them on the Early Days tour in 2005, so despite having seen them four times live, I still have yet to see them play any songs from albums after Fear Of The Dark and before A Matter Of Life and Death. So I'd be quite happy to get this set, IMO they've been focussed too much on their early stuff in recent years.

Although that said, something different from the 80s would be cool ... very much enjoyed them doing Children Of The Damned in 2007. And Rainmaker should be on there too.

C'monFeet 06-16-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 996339)
despite having seen them four times live, I still have yet to see them play any songs from albums after Fear Of The Dark and before A Matter Of Life and Death.

You just *have* to accept frustrations with the setlist being an Iron Maiden fan. They are uniquely bloody minded about it. I actually think they've managed this phase of their career ****ing well, but that's a different post.

Would just love them to be a bit more free with their setlists rather than driving the "we're still relevant" point across so heavily every other tour. Even to see them widen up the setlist as far back as Fear of the Dark (wish they would play more than that one song!) with a couple of choices, maybe add one rarely-played classic in the encore, could have just added a little colour.

Say

# Be Quick or Be Dead (HOW ****ING AWESOME WOULD THIS BE?!)
# Ghost Of The Navigator
# El Dorado
# Paschendale
# Blood Brothers
# Wildest Dreams
# The Clansman
# Sign of the Cross (LOVE the Bruce version of this from Rio)
# Fear Of The Dark
# Iron Maiden

# Encore:
# Infinte Dreams (HOW ****ING AWESOME WOULD THIS BE? No one needs to hear Running Free again. Hardly anyone has been lucky enough to get Infinite Dreams!)
# Hallowed Be Thy Name

Also just a moment to say how amazing has Nicko's playing been in recent years. He's ****ing phenomenal.

C'monFeet 06-16-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 977019)
... Just had a massive text battle with friends. Looks like 5 of us are going on a road trip :D

Awesome!!!