Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guns N' Roses original bassist joins the band onstage @ London! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=51916)

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1019952)
General rule of thumb is that if a reunion results in quality new music it's worth while. If it results in greatest hits shows and nothing else, it's shit.

Precisely as I outlined.

Bleeding Purist 10-18-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'monFeet (Post 1019950)
Purist couldn't be more wrong, or more patronising, with his suggestion that GnR's success, and November Rain in particular, was due to MTV hype preventing people from exercising their crtitical faculties. People *loved* that band, it spread through word of mouth and it mattered in a way it's hard to picture today's bands ever achieving.
l

In 1991, it wasn't about word of mouth anymore. It was about word of mouth prior to and during the initial release of Appetite. In 1991 they were mainstream and the double album was going to sell because they were the band to follow at the time.

I'm fully aware of what the deal was. I knew of the band before Appetite was even released and was paying attention when Welcome to the Jungle made it's rounds while most ignored it until Sweet Child O Mine took off. Welcome became known by most when it got a second chance from MTV following Sweet Child.

ticos_stick 10-20-2010 09:11 PM

Guns N' Roses are history, Appetite is a classic and their only great album.

I just wish they'd all disappear and stop annoying my ears.

Bleeding Purist 10-21-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1020278)

He speaks the truth.

SexxAtraxxion 10-21-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticos_stick (Post 1020278)

If the UYI are not great albums then most of the Jovi albums are a pile of shit.

Best regards,
the Sexx

Panda 10-21-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1020326)
If the UYI are not great albums then most of the Jovi albums are a pile of shit.

Best regards,
the Sexx

I happen to agree with this statement.

UYI are great albums, and I didn't get sucked into anything, as I wasn't even born when they were released. However, The spagetti incident is 10x more terrible than the worst Bon Jovi album. I still don't consider CD to be Guns N Roses, but an Axl solo record.

life_of_agony 10-22-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 1020326)

Best regards,
the Sexx

Both great albums....if condensed into one album it would almost be held in the same regard as "Appetite".
I also reckon "Chinese Democracy" is a classic...it was never going to be able to live up to the hype, but if you forget the hype and listen to the album on it's merits it is brilliant.

steel_horse75 10-26-2010 03:21 PM

I bought the UYI albums on morning of release in 91
At the time I thought they were the dogs dangly bits.
Now nearly 20 years later I think there is a lot of average songs on - but still great albums.

I think they put too many songs on there and could have come up with a 16 song classic double album instead on 2 albums with 30 songs.

Appetite.......I dont need to say anything best debut album of all time.
GNR Lies was also amazing.

Axl originally wanted to make UYI a 30 song 1 album released in a box set broke down into 4 mini albums but the label refused saying it would cost a fortune.

The main difference was the rawness of AFD and the polished UYI.
I thouht the raw sound suited GNR much better - it was as if they had about 6 hours to record AFD. The polished sound was strange as the UYI were bloated and over produced.

† ÀžžÀ † 11-08-2010 11:42 PM

i like both UYI records but as someone said earlier, if cut into one disc it would have rivaled appetite. there are some real gems on them discs but some fillers too.

on another note, i see dj ashba has claimed the band will start recording their next album very soon. wit should see the light of day by 2025.

carson 11-17-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bang A Drum (Post 1020453)
I happen to agree with this statement.

UYI are great albums, and I didn't get sucked into anything, as I wasn't even born when they were released. However, The spagetti incident is 10x more terrible than the worst Bon Jovi album. I still don't consider CD to be Guns N Roses, but an Axl solo record.

disagree, spaghetti incident is better then everything jovi have done for the past ten years (and i quite like that stuff). I dont get why everyone critisizes this album so much, it's just a cover album..released to bide time for the follow up to the illusions which came 15 years late (not intentionally obviously). Most of the songs were recorded with the illusions.