Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi and Skid Row (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70237)

steel_horse75 07-26-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom_K (Post 1257685)
On your Instagram you wrote JBJ co-wrote the song 18 And Life. What is the source of this information?

He didn’t.
Sabo and bolan played Jon all the songs they had wrote for the first album and Jon gave them advise on tweaking certain things and potential final track listing.

I’d have put forever and rescue you on the debut album. Great tracks.

But Jon and Richie didn’t write 18 & life or any other skid row song

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 07-26-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1257770)
I don't think he initially wrote it, but I remember either him or Dave saying that Dave came up with material to him and he'd give his verdict. I think he may have hand in tweaking the song because it has a Jovi feel to it, but I believe the story that Snake originally came up with it after having read that newspaper article.

Correct.

Alphavictim 07-26-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1257784)
I’d have put forever and rescue you on the debut album. Great tracks.

I wasn't aware of Rescue You (or had forgotten about it because I didn't originally think much of it). IMO the pre-chorus is a bit too much 1985 heavy rock standard for the debut album. Of course, that (and the chorus arrangement) could have been cleaned up in the studio and by the producer.

My personal fav of the demo tracks by these guys is still Edge of the Night.

steel_horse75 07-27-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1257815)
I wasn't aware of Rescue You (or had forgotten about it because I didn't originally think much of it). IMO the pre-chorus is a bit too much 1985 heavy rock standard for the debut album. Of course, that (and the chorus arrangement) could have been cleaned up in the studio and by the producer.

My personal fav of the demo tracks by these guys is still Edge of the Night.

Shame shame, behind the 8 ball are also great.
But there’s something about rescue you that just hits the sweet spot.

YOVANAfromPeru 08-02-2019 06:20 AM

Sebastian Bach interview, a lot of Bon Jovi mentions... https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...w-tour-851928/ (complete interview)

Today, are you on good or bad terms with the Bon Jovi guys?
I’m on good terms with them. I saw Richie in Vegas. We did a song together with Dee Snider onstage for a charity thing. Before, a couple years back in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Jon, Richie, and I killed about 10 bottles of wine [laughs]. I haven’t seen Jon in a while, but we were definitely having a great time the last time I saw him.

Can you explain to me why Jon Bon Jovi collects royalties from Skid Row’s debut album?
Because he helped us out. He took us on the road for the whole New Jersey tour, and we signed what was called a production deal at the time, which gave him a cut of the proceeds if we were successful. The last thing anybody ever thought would happen. But actually we were quite successful. It wasn’t exactly an overnight success. It took at least two weeks. On the road with him, it was a quick rise.

You don’t seem bothered that he still gets a cut.
Some people say [Jon Bon Jovi] got overcompensated. But as years go by, I look at the chance we were given, and most likely, we never would have made it without going on that tour.

That’s a very diplomatic answer.
Yeah. But we were also given Bon Jovi’s accountant, a guy by the name of Bruce Colgretter, if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty. That was [pauses, laughs] very handy.

cranberry 08-11-2019 07:24 PM

In early 1988, Jon’s interest in his hometown friend’s band led to this locally popular outfit being signed to McGhee Entertainment Inc. Soon afterwards, Skid Row landed a recording contract with Atlantic Records. Jon used his considerable influence to trumpet the virtues of this new band every chance he got in media interviews. And he provided them with valuable exposure by hiring them to play support to Bon Jovi on part of their next tour. It pleased Jon to be able to help Dave Sabo in this way. --- Bach had developed a problem with the terms of the contract Skid Row had entered into years earlier with Jon and Richie’s New Jersey Underground Music Company. The needle he felt about this was now spilling out on stage in remarks about the headliners. ~ From the book "Jon Bon Jovi, The Biography" by Laura Jackson

Doc's younger brother Scott became Skid Row's manager and in return for songwriting advice, Jon signed them to a publishing deal with his and Richie Sambora's company New Jersey Underground Music. In their naivety, Skid Row agreed to a deal that ceded a large proportion of their future earning to this company. Skid Row have now sold millions of records but have yet to see most of the money. ~ Star Man: The Right Hand Man of Rock 'n' Roll by Michael Francis