Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Destination Anywhere (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70349)

YOVANAfromPeru 05-21-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vax (Post 1241972)
I remember it being a fine example of a singer trying to be an actor.

JBJ wanted like that to create something brand-new, it's what he said but I also think like you, acting stuff...

Thinny 05-21-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vax (Post 1241972)
So we all agree that we love the music of DA. But what about the DVD?

I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it being a fine example of a singer trying to be an actor. Especially in the scene where he is arguing with Demi in the kitchen. Much like a great singer would overpower an inferior one in a duet, Demi just blew him away in this scene.

I'm glad he stuck to singing.

Oh god, I'd erased that from my memory, it was dreadful...

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 03:48 PM

I think these two solo albums showcase perfectly the way Jon has changed throughout the years.
Blaze of Glory throbs with energy, these macho-esque imagery throughout the lyrics and the (sometimes even slightly over-the-top) edgy vocals. It's very much flat-out in-your-face music and it's good at that. This was what Jon up until that point had been all about.
Destination Anywhere probably has some of Jon's most introverted songwriting and is, from that point of view, just a continuation of These Days. Very reflective and some of his finest moments in there. It's the musical approach that makes it differ so much from the Jovi albums and I love it for that.
I guess it depends on which Jovi era you like or when you became a fan that decides which album is your favourite. People who are more into the 80's music will always favour Blaze while people who grew up or became a fan in the 90's generally tend to prefer Destination Anywhere.

Btw. I listened to Cold Hard Heart yesterday, don't know if it was a bonus track on all versions. Brilliant track in my book!

Alphavictim 05-21-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241905)
The only weakness is the title “Janie, Don’t Take Your Love to Town.” I listened to Kenny Rogers a lot as a kid

I didn't, what's the connection/problem?

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1241978)
I didn't, what's the connection/problem?

He had a title called "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town":

Becky 05-21-2018 07:57 PM

Yep... Ruby took her love to town a long time ago!!! He could have come up with something more original. I’m quite certain he’s heard Ruby.

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241980)
Yep... Ruby took her love to town a long time ago!!! He could have come up with something more original. I’m quite certain he’s heard Ruby.

I actually don't mind that at all, there are tons of songs whose titles had been around before.
Cinderella also had a song called "The More Things Change".

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Alphavictim 05-21-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241980)

...if that's what he felt when he wrote the song, I'd rather have an unoriginal TITLE than have him re-write it just for the sake of it.

Becky 05-21-2018 09:04 PM

The title just brings down the song which, otherwise, has brilliant verses.

Yes, Cinderella had a song called The More Things Change. Warrant had a song called Bed of Roses. Kenny Chesney had a song called Summertime. Poison—Something to Believe In. Hank Williams—Lost Highway. But those are all pretty common phrases. “Don’t Take Your Love to Town” is not a phrase people used quite often, particularly in the 1990’s.

JackieBlue 05-21-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241986)
The title just brings down the song which, otherwise, has brilliant verses.

Yes, Cinderella had a song called The More Things Change. Warrant had a song called Bed of Roses. Kenny Chesney had a song called Summertime. Poison—Something to Believe In. Hank Williams—Lost Highway. But those are all pretty common phrases. “Don’t Take Your Love to Town” is not a phrase people used quite often, particularly in the 1990’s.

Plus, he and Richie had co-written "Jaime (Don't Take Your Love to Town)" a few years earlier.

https://youtu.be/yAmFKCRYWaQ

It doesn't help that the name in all three songs is two syllables, so it's easy to make the substitution. I'm with you, Becky. Every time I see the title, my mind automatically sings it to the tune of Ruby. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I always liked Kenny Rogers - all the way back to his First Edition days.)

BTW, The Marvelettes had a song titled Destination Anywhere, too. Just thought I'd throw that out for all the kiddies in the room. :)

Let's face it. If people never did songs with the same titles we'd probably never get new music anymore. At least the songs themselves are different, unlike about 10 years ago, when it seemed like every song I heard my RA's playing were covers of songs I knew from the 60s.

All that said, however, I agree DA is vastly underrated. I like nearly all the songs, including Janie, which is actually one of my favorites from the album. The only one I'm not crazy about is I Talk to Jesus. I don't know about the movie because I've never seen it.