Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Destination Anywhere (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70349)

danfan 05-19-2018 09:52 PM

Destination Anywhere

Just been listening to the album a bit lately. Always thought it was an amazing record. But the title track, I honestly think is one of, if not the greatest song, Jon ever wrote. It reminds me of why I love not just the band, but in this case, Jon. It's why I'll always be a fan. Beyond what happens with his voice, Richie, etc. The man has provided, pretty much, the soundtrack to my life. Age, money, or changes in the music industry can't ever take that away. I've been a fan for over 30 years. Been to over 50 shows. Never met the man. But if I could, I'd want him to know that.

Peace.

bonjovi90 05-19-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1241893)
Just been listening to the album a bit lately. Always thought it was an amazing record. But the title track, I honestly think is one of, if not the greatest song, Jon ever wrote. It reminds me of why I love not just the band, but in this case, Jon. It's why I'll always be a fan. Beyond what happens with his voice, Richie, etc. The man has provided, pretty much, the soundtrack to my life. Age, money, or changes in the music industry can't ever take that away. I've been a fan for over 30 years. Been to over 50 shows. Never met the man. But if I could, I'd want him to know that.

Peace.

Outstanding album, has been a great companion of mine for the last decade!

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

YOVANAfromPeru 05-19-2018 10:39 PM

the title itself is already a lifestyle! -_-

bjcrazycpa 05-19-2018 11:40 PM

This is still one of my fav of all the Jon/Bon Jovi catalog. The songs still hold up well for me. Cold Hard Heart with its stark, haunting vibe is in my top 10 songs followed by Its Just Me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Becky 05-20-2018 01:00 AM

Destination Anywhere is one of the few CDs that I love every song on it, and the bonus tracks. The only weakness is the title “Janie, Don’t Take Your Love to Town.” I listened to Kenny Rogers a lot as a kid so I just cannot get over the title/chorus. The verses are brilliant.

PS: My aunt had a portrait of Kenny Rogers in her game room back in the late 70’s/early 80’s. I guess being a little obsessive about a singer is in my genes.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-20-2018 08:17 AM

Every Word, Staring at Your Window, and Midnight in Chelsea are my faves, but it's a great album.

DavetheGodofKeys 05-20-2018 12:00 PM

It's a very solid album, my favourites are Janie, Don't Take Your Love To Town, Queen Of New Orleans and Destination Anywhere (the song).

rolo_tomachi 05-20-2018 12:08 PM

Some good songs but ... It's not my cup of tea. In fact, this type of music is what I fear in Bon Jovi. I prefer the passion of Blaze of Glory.

DryCounty 05-20-2018 12:57 PM

Brilliant album. Maybe the most sincere Bon Jovi related album. The albums dips a little on the second half with Learning How To Fall, Naked and Little Ciy but the first half is so strong I don't mind.

The most weird thing about the record is the choice of first single. Midnight In Chelsea is a great song but there are a lot of more typical and instant single material.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-20-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1241926)
The most weird thing about the record is the choice of first single. Midnight In Chelsea is a great song but there are a lot of more typical and instant single material.

Maybe because it was the first song written for this album, also remember JBJ saying something like “It was like to walk down the streets in Chelsea and feel that it was time to do another solo record...”

Thinny 05-20-2018 01:35 PM

Destination Anywhere is really underrated, and I wish he had done more solo albums along this line. I hated Midnight In Chelsea when it came out, but it's a song that grew on me over the years. It's Just Me, Destination Anywhere, Queen Of New Orleans, Staring At Your Windows, all great songs...

Thinny 05-20-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1241928)
Maybe because it was the first song written for this album, also remember JBJ saying something like “It was like to walk down the streets in Chelsea and feel that it was time to do another solo record...”

Also, I think Jon wanted something that was drastically different to Bon Jovi as the first single to reinforce that it was something different....

Gregsynthbootlegs 05-20-2018 05:09 PM

I really like the album.

Like it better than most of the Bon Jovi albums!

TwinFan 05-20-2018 09:23 PM

I've really come to appreciate this album over the last couple years. So many great tracks.

steel_horse75 05-20-2018 09:42 PM

It’s a good album but I prefer Blaze by a mile.

I do like It’s just me, destination anywhere, august 7th and the bonus tracks.

Have always disliked midnight in Chelsea, Janie, ugly and a few others.

I’m not a fan of “shala la las in songs!

bonjovi90 05-20-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1241947)
It’s a good album but I prefer Blaze by a mile.

I do like It’s just me, destination anywhere, august 7th and the bonus tracks.

Have always disliked midnight in Chelsea, Janie, ugly and a few others.

I’m not a fan of “shala la las in songs!

I agree about the "shalala" parts. However, it's very mood-depending in terms of which album I like to listen to. Destination Anywhere is a record that I prefer a lot in the autumn/winter months or on long car drives in the night.
At the same time Blaze, while being somewhere in the vein of New Jersey, is an album where I have to be in a pretty specific mood to listen to the whole thing as well. Besides Dyin' Ain't Much of A Living. That song is pure genius to me!

Thinny 05-20-2018 10:47 PM

Blaze is something of a masterpiece from beginning to end, while DA is great, it doesnt compare...

YOVANAfromPeru 05-20-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1241956)
Blaze is something of a masterpiece from beginning to end, while DA is great, it doesnt compare...

When I found Blaze, in 1994 for me, I always thought it was a little too much for my little brain >_< jajaj, but I thought exactly the same Johnny said about the kid: “that kind of guy I wanna hang out with”

masterpiece!

-_-

Stranger11 05-21-2018 12:05 PM

A fantastic record. I could do without the title track and Ugly but everything else is just great. For me the last great record JBJ wrote.

Vax 05-21-2018 01:27 PM

Dvd

So we all agree that we love the music of DA. But what about the DVD?

I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it being a fine example of a singer trying to be an actor. Especially in the scene where he is arguing with Demi in the kitchen. Much like a great singer would overpower an inferior one in a duet, Demi just blew him away in this scene.

I'm glad he stuck to singing.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-21-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vax (Post 1241972)
I remember it being a fine example of a singer trying to be an actor.

JBJ wanted like that to create something brand-new, it's what he said but I also think like you, acting stuff...

Thinny 05-21-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vax (Post 1241972)
So we all agree that we love the music of DA. But what about the DVD?

I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it being a fine example of a singer trying to be an actor. Especially in the scene where he is arguing with Demi in the kitchen. Much like a great singer would overpower an inferior one in a duet, Demi just blew him away in this scene.

I'm glad he stuck to singing.

Oh god, I'd erased that from my memory, it was dreadful...

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 03:48 PM

I think these two solo albums showcase perfectly the way Jon has changed throughout the years.
Blaze of Glory throbs with energy, these macho-esque imagery throughout the lyrics and the (sometimes even slightly over-the-top) edgy vocals. It's very much flat-out in-your-face music and it's good at that. This was what Jon up until that point had been all about.
Destination Anywhere probably has some of Jon's most introverted songwriting and is, from that point of view, just a continuation of These Days. Very reflective and some of his finest moments in there. It's the musical approach that makes it differ so much from the Jovi albums and I love it for that.
I guess it depends on which Jovi era you like or when you became a fan that decides which album is your favourite. People who are more into the 80's music will always favour Blaze while people who grew up or became a fan in the 90's generally tend to prefer Destination Anywhere.

Btw. I listened to Cold Hard Heart yesterday, don't know if it was a bonus track on all versions. Brilliant track in my book!

Alphavictim 05-21-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241905)
The only weakness is the title “Janie, Don’t Take Your Love to Town.” I listened to Kenny Rogers a lot as a kid

I didn't, what's the connection/problem?

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1241978)
I didn't, what's the connection/problem?

He had a title called "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town":

Becky 05-21-2018 07:57 PM

Yep... Ruby took her love to town a long time ago!!! He could have come up with something more original. I’m quite certain he’s heard Ruby.

bonjovi90 05-21-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241980)
Yep... Ruby took her love to town a long time ago!!! He could have come up with something more original. I’m quite certain he’s heard Ruby.

I actually don't mind that at all, there are tons of songs whose titles had been around before.
Cinderella also had a song called "The More Things Change".

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Alphavictim 05-21-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241980)

...if that's what he felt when he wrote the song, I'd rather have an unoriginal TITLE than have him re-write it just for the sake of it.

Becky 05-21-2018 09:04 PM

The title just brings down the song which, otherwise, has brilliant verses.

Yes, Cinderella had a song called The More Things Change. Warrant had a song called Bed of Roses. Kenny Chesney had a song called Summertime. Poison—Something to Believe In. Hank Williams—Lost Highway. But those are all pretty common phrases. “Don’t Take Your Love to Town” is not a phrase people used quite often, particularly in the 1990’s.

JackieBlue 05-21-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241986)
The title just brings down the song which, otherwise, has brilliant verses.

Yes, Cinderella had a song called The More Things Change. Warrant had a song called Bed of Roses. Kenny Chesney had a song called Summertime. Poison—Something to Believe In. Hank Williams—Lost Highway. But those are all pretty common phrases. “Don’t Take Your Love to Town” is not a phrase people used quite often, particularly in the 1990’s.

Plus, he and Richie had co-written "Jaime (Don't Take Your Love to Town)" a few years earlier.

https://youtu.be/yAmFKCRYWaQ

It doesn't help that the name in all three songs is two syllables, so it's easy to make the substitution. I'm with you, Becky. Every time I see the title, my mind automatically sings it to the tune of Ruby. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I always liked Kenny Rogers - all the way back to his First Edition days.)

BTW, The Marvelettes had a song titled Destination Anywhere, too. Just thought I'd throw that out for all the kiddies in the room. :)

Let's face it. If people never did songs with the same titles we'd probably never get new music anymore. At least the songs themselves are different, unlike about 10 years ago, when it seemed like every song I heard my RA's playing were covers of songs I knew from the 60s.

All that said, however, I agree DA is vastly underrated. I like nearly all the songs, including Janie, which is actually one of my favorites from the album. The only one I'm not crazy about is I Talk to Jesus. I don't know about the movie because I've never seen it.

YOVANAfromPeru 05-22-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1241989)
BTW, The Marvelettes had a song titled Destination Anywhere, too. Just thought I'd throw that out for all the kiddies in the room. :)

I think we all know that, but the thing it’s that JBJ thought that way too...

P.S. I talk to Jesus is one of my favorites -_-

Becky 05-22-2018 02:31 AM

There are a lot of song titles that they share with other artists. You cannot copyright a song title.

It’s My Life—The Animals
Mystery Train—Elvis Presley
Burning Bridges—Slaughter
Satellite—Dave Matthews
The Fighter—Keith Urban with Carrie Underwood (though Bon Jovi’ was first)
Beautiful World—Devo (most annoying band ever)

And so forth and so on.

JackieBlue 05-22-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1241990)
P.S. I talk to Jesus is one of my favorites -_-

Different strokes... :cool:

jazzsta 05-23-2018 10:50 AM

DA album & era are amazing, as are all 90s Jovi stuff for some reason.

I suppose 1/3 of my real top 30 jovi songs could be DA-era. I like all the album except Naked which has interesting intentions but falls flat. And the B-sides are super cool, some very good, also I Talk To Jesus.

Regarding the adoptation of phrases from other artists/songs, I think it may also be relevant to Jon's not so good memory : if you don't surely remember from where you have heard a phrase, you add it to your song without spoiling the feeling that you have created something new..

Bounce7800 05-23-2018 11:22 AM

DA was a great era, a different sound but MTV, TV and radio were still hugely into BJ after These Days so it was huge. JBJ weekend on MTV a highlight, how I'd love that these days. Well any music on MTV/VH1 obvs.

It took a while to not slip into singing the sha-la-las from Monaco's "What do you want from me" that was out at the same time as Midnight In Chelsea. It's a shame that Jon never went back a did something different in this vein again, working with Dave Stewart, Steve Lironi etc.. in some ways BJ like but in other ways a completely fresh take.

It's really annoying that Jon never properly toured his solo stuff after that. The forum show in 97 was the day before my GCSE English exam so I couldn't go, haven't to spend the night cribbing up my Lord Of The Flies book instead. A theatre tour with songs from Blaze/DA/Covers & BJ would have been great in the same way that Richie's solo tours in 98 and 2012 were.

bonjovi90 05-23-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bounce7800 (Post 1242034)
It's really annoying that Jon never properly toured his solo stuff after that. The forum show in 97 was the day before my GCSE English exam so I couldn't go, haven't to spend the night cribbing up my Lord Of The Flies book instead. A theatre tour with songs from Blaze/DA/Covers & BJ would have been great in the same way that Richie's solo tours in 98 and 2012 were.

It's really annoying that Jon never properly toured his solo stuff in any way. Would've loved some 1990/91 appearances for Blaze as well.
With DA - the 1997 promo shows are pure gold for me. Of course he did some shows in 1998, but IMO they weren't nearly as good as the '97 ones since the setlist had already been crammed with too many Jovi tunes that just didn't sound good with the Big Dogs (and especially Bobby) doing them.

sweetmisery 06-07-2018 09:03 AM

Janie Dont You Take Your Love to Town
Chelsea
Every Word Was a Piece of My Heart
Queen of New Orleans

Those are my fave. The rest are just meh for me.

Xavi 06-07-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1241993)
There are a lot of song titles that they share with other artists. You cannot copyright a song title.

It’s My Life—The Animals
Mystery Train—Elvis Presley
Burning Bridges—Slaughter
Satellite—Dave Matthews
The Fighter—Keith Urban with Carrie Underwood (though Bon Jovi’ was first)
Beautiful World—Devo (most annoying band ever)

And so forth and so on.

This House Is Not For Sale -- Ryan Adams