Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   NBJ - Everything Else (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   If cell phones are banned from all venues next year, here's the man to thank (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=68836)

rocknation 12-19-2014 06:57 AM

If cell phones are banned from all venues next year, here's the man to thank

Quote:

(Comedian) Hannibal Buress — who has done stand-up for years and is a regular on Comedy Central's Broad City, (has) praised (comedian) Bill Cosby...(During an October 2014 performance) in Cosby's (hometown of) Philadelphia...he did this bit...
"...Bill Cosby has the fckin’ smuggest old black man persona that I hate...He gets on TV, 'Pull your pants up, black people...I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom!' Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches...I want to just at least make it weird for you to watch Cosby Show reruns...(P)eople think I'm making it up...(W)hen you leave here, google 'Bill Cosby rape.' That shit has more results than 'Hannibal Buress.'"

...and the rest is history:
Nov. 6, 2014: An Associated Press reporter asks Cosby to comment on the rape allegations. Cosby responds, but as soon as the interview wraps, he begins bullying the reporter to promise the footage won't be shown if he has any "integrity."

Nov. 13, 2014: Barbara Bowman writes an op-ed in the Washington Post titled "Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?"

Nov. 16, 2014: Joan Tarshis comes forward in an essay for Hollywood Elsewhere (and) posts a lengthy Facebook post detailing her encounter with Cosby.

Nov. 18, 2014: Janice Dickinson publicly accuses Cosby of raping her in an interview with Entertainment Tonight. Netflix indefinitely postpones Cosby's stand-up special Bill Cosby 77 that had been scheduled for Thanksgiving week.

Nov. 19, 2014: TV Land pulls all Cosby Show reruns. NBC drops the sitcom it had been developing with him.

Nov. 20, 2014: Three more women come forward with allegations Cosby sexually assaulted them. That night, Cosby performs a sold-out stand-up show in the Bahamas that he dedicates to his wife, Camille.

Nov. 21, 2014: Angela Leslie comes forward in an interview with the New York Daily News, as does Kristina Ruehli in Philadelphia magazine.

Nov. 22, 2014: Former Playboy Playmate Victoria Valentino says that in 1970, the comedian had sexually assaulted her after drugging her and her roommate.

Nov. 23, 2014: Former NBC employee Frank Scotti tells the New York Daily News that during The Cosby Show era, he covered up for the comedian: standing guard outside the comedian’s dressing room while he brought young models in, paying off women in exchange for their silence, and even securing a second apartment for Cosby's exploits.

Nov. 24, 2014: Louisa Moritz tells TMZ of her plans to file a class action lawsuit against Bill Cosby.

Dec. 1, 2014: Cosby stepped down from the board of trustees of Temple University, of which he had been a member for 32 years.

Dec. 3, 2014: Judy Huth filed a civil lawsuit against Cosby, alleging that he had sexually molested her back in 1974 when she was only 15.

Dec. 4, 2014: According to People magazine, Beth Ferrier and two other accusers have filed sexual assault complaints against Cosby.

Dec. 5, 2014: Cosby countersued Huth and claimed that she attempted to extort money from Cosby and sell her story before filing suit.

Dec. 11, 2014: In a column for Vanity Fair, former supermodel Beverly Johnson says Cosby attempted to assault her after she auditioned to be an extra on The Cosby Show in the 1980s.

Dec. 17, 2014: Black Entertainment Television cancels reruns of The Cosby Show.

That's a very impressive amount of fallout considering that it's been only two months! But it turns out just have been just a warmup...

rocknation 12-19-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

DailyMail.co.uk: Several more women who claim to have been sexually assaulted by comedy legend Bill Cosby have come forward sparking a 'definitive open investigation' by the Los Angeles Police Department...(I)t is believed...the latest...allegations...(could) be prosecuted if enough evidence is found...

The LAPD plans to search Hugh Hefner's famous Playboy mansion as part of their investigation. Police are hoping Hugh Hefner, long a dear friend of the embattled 77-year-old comic, and his people will be of some help as they seek to gather evidence in several cases which are linked to the Playboy mansion.
This is turning into a Naked Gun movie with a guest appearance by the Keystone Kops. I'm sure the folks at the Playboy mansion appreciate the tipoff that it's about to be searched by the police, and I'm sure they'll clean it from top to bottom since they know now that they're going to have guests -- and just in time for the holidays!

But what does up-and-coming comedian Hannibal Buress have to say about the firestorm he sparked by describing comedian icon Bill Cosby as a rapist? According to CBS News.com:
Quote:

Buress told...The Howard Stern Show...."I've been doing the bit on and off for six months...It wasn't my intention to make it part of a big discussion...It was just something I was doing at that venue right there. So for someone to put it to the media, it's crazy...I said it and I gotta stand on it, but it is an interesting situation."

Burress actually respects Cosby's work, praising the star in a 2013 Gentlemen's Quarterly magazine interview. "(His) stuff holds up...All of it is evergreen. He talks about asking somebody, 'Why do you do cocaine?' 'Because it intensifies your personality.' Cosby says, 'What if you're an asshole?' I think it's the only time he curses...If I had to do an hour clean now, I don't know how I'd pull it off."
There's a very old saying that a lie can travel around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on. But Buress didn't tell a lie, he told a joke. Surely he can't be blamed for someone else putting his joke online, and he's certainly not responsible for other people using his jokes as "inspiration" for making public accusations against Cosby (true or not).

Suppose Buress had called Cosby a "skirt chaser" or a "sex addict" instead of a rapist? Well, a Google search of "Hannibal Buress" yields 532,000 results; "Bill Cosby Rape," 51,600,000 results; "Bill Cosby Skirt Chaser," 3,140,000 results; "Bill Cosby sex addict," 2,250,000 results. Would somebody have decided it merited filming and uploading? If so, would somebody else have a) decided that she couldn't remain silent about her experiences with Cosby any longer or b) saw it as a perfect opportunity get either revenge or cash? And most important of all, would the joke have been as funny?

Buress has overturned Bill Cosby's world while the truth is still looking for its boots -- and perhaps overturned his own world as well. He'd better hope that Cosby doesn't develop an "interest" in suing him for defamation. Skirt chasing is a bad habit and sex addiction is an illness, but rape is a CRIME -- a crime that Cosby has NOT been convicted of. And like I said, if concert venues start banning mobile devices from now on, you won't have to wonder why.

There's another very old saying about the road to hell being paved with good intentions...

rocknation 07-08-2015 08:29 PM

Cosby Admitted Giving Woman Drugs in 2005 Deposition

Quote:

NPR.org 7/6/15: Comedian Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained the sedative Quaalude with the intent of giving the drug to women with whom he wanted to have sex, and he acknowledged giving it to at least one woman.

Cosby, now 77, was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by a former Temple University employee. He said he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl...The comedian settled that sexual abuse lawsuit in 2006...
Quote:

NPR.org (7/7): ...(A) decade-old deposition...was given by Cosby during the discovery phase of a civil lawsuit against the comedian...(T)he judge presiding over the case sealed the records of the case while lawyers from both sides gathered evidence...(T)he two parties came to a settlement, signed a confidentiality agreement, and the temporary seal — and the case for that matter — was forgotten...So, how and why did this deposition become public now?...the Associated Press asked the court to unseal the documents and the court agreed.

The court's rules state that unless there is an objection, documents filed in the court will be unsealed automatically two years after the conclusion of litigation...Cosby's attorneys objected, saying it would violate Cosby's right to privacy...and would violate the confidentiality agreement signed by the two parties.

...(The judge)...argued that while Cosby is clearly a public figure, when he talks about issues of public policy like unwed mothers and crime, he (also) becomes a "public moralist," which...opens him up to "legitimate public scrutiny." The release of these documents...is therefore important for the public to weigh "the stark contrast between Bill Cosby, the public moralist and Bill Cosby, the subject of serious allegations concerning improper (and perhaps criminal) conduct..."

...(A)s to the confidentiality agreement...the two parties never filed (it) with the court, so the court has no obligation to honor it...
Quote:

Yahoo.com: The Bounce TV network, which is geared toward black viewers, announced...that it is taking its reruns of Cosby, the comic's 1990s-era CBS show, off the air immediately. And the smaller Centric cable network, which is affiliated with BET and aimed at black women, said it is dropping The Cosby Show...(which was) airing four hours a day and in weekend marathons once a month.

It doesn't appear that The Cosby Show is airing regularly anywhere else now in the US...(A)n expert on the syndication market...doubts it will return while its star...is alive...
Quote:

PhillyMag.com:...(E)ven his staunchest supporters are backing away. First Jill Scott, who stood up for him on Twitter earlier this year, admitted she was wrong to defend him, and now Disney has announced it will remove a sculpture of Cosby from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza at the Hollywood Studios theme park...
If you'll pardon the expression, Bill, it looks like the "joke" is now on you!

Kathleen 07-08-2015 10:29 PM

I had heard rumors about this for years - but that's all they were (as far as I was concerned).

To have it confirmed and to realize that he admitted this in 2005 and it was hushed up is disgusting.

Becky 07-09-2015 01:29 AM

Bill Cosby is one of those people you would never think would do something like this. He's always come across as intelligent, ethical, upstanding, and worthy of respect--until all these allegations came to light in the last year or so.

THAT is why I haven't ever gotten a Bon Jovi tattoo and always say I'll never get a tattoo of a name unless it's one of my cats or I give birth to it. You NEVER know about a person, no matter how much integrity they SEEM to have, you don't know what they are hiding in their personal life.

rocknation 07-09-2015 05:27 PM

I pulled the plug on Cosby in 1997 after that Autumn Jackson business. He retracted his denial that he'd had an affair with her mother, and paid them $100,000 over twenty years. But there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that it is even POSSIBLE that Cosby is Autumn's father?

rocknation 07-10-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Deadline.com: Bill Cosby was quietly dumped by...(his) talent agency...CAA...late last year...

Cosby made a splash when he moved to CAA in 2012 after being represented by the William Morris Agency for 48 years...(T)he only one sticking by him is...his longtime publicist, who is the son of...the former William Morris Agency chairman who was Cosby’s longtime rep...

(I)t seems unlikely he will need an agent, for he’ll probably never work in this town again.
Well, maybe the William Morris Agency will decide that blood is thicker than water, forgive their prodigal client and take him back for old time's sake.
Quote:

The Hollywood Reporter: Three new women...have come forward detailing abuse they allegedly suffered at the hands of Bill Cosby...

(A) woman...named "Kacey"...claimed she met Cosby through her assistant post at WMA (now William Morris Endeavor)...

Kacey claimed she was drugged by Cosby during a meeting at the Hotel Bel-Air and woke up hours later with Cosby naked beside her in bed. Kacey said she was so traumatized, she was forced to resign from her WMA job.
Just when he thought he was out, they pull him back in!

rocknation 07-23-2015 01:22 AM

Epilouge...and epitaph

GuardianUK.com: “If you give a woman – or a man, for that matter, without his or her knowledge – a drug, and then have sex with that person without consent, that’s rape,” President Barack Obama said...“Any civilized country should have no tolerance for rape.”

NBC News: (The) executive director of (a) (crime) victims group...said..."The Medal of Freedom embodies our nation's values. Allowing Cosby to maintain this coveted symbol suggests that we as a society support coercive sexual behavior. Revoking the medal will send a powerful message to America's youth..." Obama, at a White House press conference, said that there was no way to revoke the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Cosby...

Whoopi Goldberg, who said last week that Cosby was "innocent until proven guilty," changed her stance Tuesday on ABC's 'The View.' She said that "all of the information that's out there kind of points to guilt."

P.S. The Comedy Central TV series Why? With Hannibal Buress made its debut two weeks ago.

rocknation 07-27-2015 06:07 PM

I spoke too soon about his epitaph

Kathleen 07-27-2015 07:15 PM

And New York Magazine was hacked with a denial of service attack and was taken down so that no one could read this. Here is the the NY Times story about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/bu...T.nav=top-news

After Hours Offline, New York Magazine’s Website Comes Back

On Sunday evening, New York magazine posted a stark, black-and-white cover of its latest issue, featuring 35 women who have accused the comedian Bill Cosby of sexual abuse.

Hours later, the magazine’s website went offline, and the article was inaccessible on Monday morning. “Our site is experiencing technical difficulties. We are aware of the issue, and working on a fix,” the magazine posted to its main Twitter account early Monday morning.

Around noon on Monday, the site was back online.

Lauren Starke, a spokeswoman for the magazine, said in an email that she had nothing to add beyond the information posted on Twitter.

But on Twitter, a user who goes by Vikingdom2016 claimed responsibility for an attack on the site. The goal of this attack, also referred to as denial-of-service attack, is to shut down a website under a flood of traffic.

In an interview with the website Daily Dot, the hacker, also known as ThreatKing, said the attack was based on a hatred for New York, and was not related to the cover that features Mr. Cosby’s accusers.

“I have not even seen the cover, LOL,” he told the website over Skype on Monday.

And with that, the voices of women who had refrained from going public with their accusations against Mr. Cosby were again interrupted. As the website remained offline, editors were working to find other ways to publish the piece, which the magazine said took six months of work. On Monday morning, the magazine began posting audio related to the cover article on Instagram.
Continue reading the main story

And, thanks to Web.Archive.Org’s Wayback Machine, you can still read a preserved version of the article.