Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Crush (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=43645)

JBJfan2007 11-30-2007 09:09 PM

Crush

I waa listening to Crush today. It had been awhile. I love Its My Life and OWN. But I have realized that if you had not heard any Jovi stuff after These Days-you would not know it was the same band. They are masters at changing their looks and sounds. I like it but can see why many don't.. Some of the songs are quite lame-Capt. Crash and Mystery train. They just completely reinvented themselves with the way they to the sound. Thtas why this was such a hit record as it brought in tons of new and younger fans.

Crushgen24/88 11-30-2007 09:16 PM

I love Crush.
Now before anyone asks, Crush ISN'T the album that got me into Bon Jovi. I atually got it almost a half a year after I got Slippery. That being said, I think it''s an awesome record. The only blah songs on that record are Mystery Train, and I Got The Girl (to an extent) IMHO. I'm sure I'll get blasted, and called all kinds of names and shit, but frankly I dont care.

danfan 11-30-2007 09:17 PM

Captain Crash is a cool song. Just Older was cool the first 40 times they played it live. I've always lked Next 100 Years.

She's a Mystery is probably the most boring song in the history of sound.

Alphavictim 11-30-2007 09:24 PM

It's better than Lost Highway and TLFR... but that's it.

bjcrazycpa 11-30-2007 09:25 PM

And as usual, I love the songs no one else likes:

Say It Isn't So
Captain Crash
Save The World
Mystery Train

I think those are all very good songs. The only song I could take or leave on Crush was I Got The Girl.

deb

danfan 11-30-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 789464)

Say It Isn't So
Captain Crash
Save The World
Mystery Train

I think those are all very good songs. The only song I could take or leave on Crush was I Got The Girl.

deb

I like Say It Isn't So and Captain Crash. The other 2 I find boring and lame.

Crushgen24/88 11-30-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

And as usual, I love the songs no one else likes like:

Say It Isn't So
Captain Crash
Save The World

deb

Oh, I adore those three.
I think Say It Isn't So is one of the best songs they've done in the last ten years. I love the way the opening riff comes in at the end of IML. Tremendoud track sequence IMO. The lyrics are really good to IMO.

bjcrazycpa 11-30-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 789467)
Oh, I adore those three.
I think Say It Isn't So is one of the best songs they've done in the last ten years. I love the way the opening riff comes in at the end of IML. Tremendoud track sequence IMO. The lyrics are really good to IMO.

Oh yea, it's in my top 20 Bon Jovi songs.

deb

Tictoc 11-30-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 789449)
Captain Crash is a cool song. Just Older was cool the first 40 times they played it live. I've always lked Next 100 Years.

She's a Mystery is probably the most boring song in the history of sound.

Wah? You have no soul. It's the only song off the album that I still listen to.

dqgirl 11-30-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBJfan2007 (Post 789442)
They are masters at changing their looks and sounds... They just completely reinvented themselves with the way they to the sound.

I don't completely agree with these statements. You make it sound as though it was a process or group decision to look and sound different from how they looked and sounded in the 80's.

I think of it as more a natural progression. I know I'm not the same person that I was in the 80's. I wouldn't expect them to be, either. Would they still be where they are now if they looked and sounded like they did in the 80's? I really don't think they would be.

born_to_run 11-30-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 789463)

LH makes Crush sound like the invention of music!

danfan 11-30-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born_to_run (Post 789483)
LH makes Crush sound like the invention of music!

Alright - That was mildly amusing.

danfan 11-30-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tictoc (Post 789474)
Wah? You have no soul. It's the only song off the album that I still listen to.

The only thing I don't have, is a chance at staying awake if I listen to that song.

The biggest "mystery" is how the hell that song made any album.

Goldsausage 11-30-2007 11:25 PM

Don't question Jon! He knows what he's doing when he puts songs on these albums!

DevilsSon 12-01-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dqgirl (Post 789479)
I don't completely agree with these statements. You make it sound as though it was a process or group decision to look and sound different from how they looked and sounded in the 80's.

I think of it as more a natural progression. I know I'm not the same person that I was in the 80's. I wouldn't expect them to be, either. Would they still be where they are now if they looked and sounded like they did in the 80's? I really don't think they would be.

You must be kidding me! A natural progression? That's how you call work with Max Martin? This was an album DESIGNED from A to Z to attract new audience, mainly the teenier boppers who by 2000 were slowly approaching mid-puberty. Keep The Faith was a natural progression. These Days was a natural progression. Crush wasn't.

Anyhow, I think it's a fairly decent album. Not the best, by far not the worst and actually, in my opinion, their best post 2000 record. better than both HAND and Bounce not to mention LH.

The only song that stands out is Say It Isn't So, easily one of the best songs BJ have ever come up with. I would have preferred a rougher guitar solo but otherwise nice riff, good melody and excellent lyrics.

born_to_run 12-01-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 789524)
The only song that stands out is Say It Isn't So, easily one of the best songs BJ have ever come up with. I would have preferred a rougher guitar solo but otherwise nice riff, good melody and excellent lyrics.

I think Crush ain't bad but after "IML" I expected a bit more. Say it isnÄt so has a great riff but a more than horrible chorus!

Javier 12-01-2007 01:12 AM

it's a great album, but I could do without a few of the songs, like She's a mystery and I got the girl. Otherwise it's a great album.

Ferret 12-01-2007 11:13 AM

Crush is really cool. There are some songs on it I really like.

Next 100 Years
Captain Crash
Just Older
Say It Isn't So
Two Story Town

It's My Life seems like the greatest thing ever on the first few listens, and then you just get really bored with it. Gotta still love it though, as it's one of the songs that got me into Jovi (along with Hey God and the SWW album).

She's a Mystery is utter shite. The most boring song I have ever heard.
________
Kawasaki Kx100

Antman 12-01-2007 11:27 AM

Without Crush, I mightn't ever have heard Neurotica. That is one song I could never get sick and tired of listening to, unlike Mystery Train and She's a Mystery. zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

Gabriel Shoes 12-01-2007 02:29 PM

Jon realized that Bon Jovi fans disliked Crush record. Obviously, he wasn't talking about you guys.

Neurotica33 12-01-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBJfan2007 (Post 789442)
I waa listening to Crush today. It had been awhile. I love Its My Life and OWN. But I have realized that if you had not heard any Jovi stuff after These Days-you would not know it was the same band. They are masters at changing their looks and sounds. I like it but can see why many don't.. Some of the songs are quite lame-Capt. Crash and Mystery train. They just completely reinvented themselves with the way they to the sound. Thtas why this was such a hit record as it brought in tons of new and younger fans.

It was a big step backwards IMO after These Days. So many weak songs. I can't remember the last time I heard it all the way through.
The fact it appealed to younger fans actually shows it was more pop than rock. This may be good for the band to appeal to a new audience, but again it was at the expense of their own reputation and credibility.

Neurotica33 12-01-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Say It Isn't So
Captain Crash
Save The World
Mystery Train

deb

I love Mystery Train and I can take or leave Captain Crash & SIIS, but Save The World I find nauseating in the same way as Thank You and All About Loving You.

gutterglitterxx 12-01-2007 10:29 PM

I don't think Crush is THAT bad. I definitely enjoy parts of it.

I have a friend who thinks it's so bad it should only be used as a coaster or to keep an uneven table leg up.

I gotta say though that I definitely don't understand people's love for "Say It Isn't So". Personally, I can't stand that song. I think the lyrics are absolutely ridiculous, the video is cheesy, and while the harmonies in the chorus are fantastic the melody is laughable. I know I'm pretty much alone on that.

"Next 100 Years" was always my favorite off that album.

SamboraQueen21 12-01-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutterglitterxx (Post 789661)
I gotta say though that I definitely don't understand people's love for "Say It Isn't So". Personally, I can't stand that song. I think the lyrics are absolutely ridiculous, the video is cheesy, and while the harmonies in the chorus are fantastic the melody is laughable. I know I'm pretty much alone on that.

No, I really can't stand Say It Isn't So either.

Crush is is nowhere near my favorite album. But I do like Mystery Train, Capt. Crash, Save the World, etc. I actually also kind of like I Got The Girl. One Wild Night though is by far my favorite track on the album.

And someone hit the nail on the head when they said that It's My Life seems like the best song at first and then you get bored with it. I loved it when it was released, but after hearing it 85 billion times now I am soooooooooooooooo over IML, especially when it is played live soooooooooo slow. Ugh.

Tearin_it_up 12-01-2007 11:00 PM

Crush is my favorite album of all time and believe me, no one hates teeny-bop crap more than me, just ask my friends! I only ever listen to Hard-Rock & Country music.

It's all about expectations though, I didn't know hardly anything about Bon Jovi when I bought Crush and thought it was the coolest thing I've ever heard.

New Jersey is my second favorite album even though its pretty different, but maybe that would be different if I heard New Jersey first and had the anticipation leading up to crush.

gutterglitterxx 12-01-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamboraQueen21 (Post 789665)
No, I really can't stand Say It Isn't So either.

I'm glad someone agrees! I think there are much better songs on Crush than that one... Not that any of them are particularly spectacular.

I actually enjoy the album a lot though.

ZB_ 12-02-2007 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutterglitterxx (Post 789673)
I'm glad someone agrees! I think there are much better songs on Crush than that one... Not that any of them are particularly spectacular.

I actually enjoy the album a lot though.

Yeah, you're right. Well, not that I can't stand Say It Isn't So, but there are much beter tracks on Crush. I love Wild Night, 2 Story Town, 100, Older, Mystery Train, She's A Mystery, I Got The Girl. I think these are really good Bon Jovi songs. And I think Cush is really good Bon Jovi album :cool:

Jeeez... I just realize that I love it...

gutterglitterxx 12-02-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZB_ (Post 789709)
Yeah, you're right. Well, not that I can't stand Say It Isn't So, but there are much beter tracks on Crush. I love Wild Night, 2 Story Town, 100, Older, Mystery Train, She's A Mystery, I Got The Girl. I think these are really good Bon Jovi songs. And I think Cush is really good Bon Jovi album :cool:

Jeeez... I just realize that I love it...

I'm a HUGE fan of "Next 100 Years".

I also really like "Mystery Train".

But actually I'd say my absolute favorite is "Neurotica" which was on the import version. It's one of my favorite Jovi songs in general.

ZB_ 12-02-2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutterglitterxx (Post 789713)
I'm a HUGE fan of "Next 100 Years".

I also really like "Mystery Train".

But actually I'd say my absolute favorite is "Neurotica" which was on the import version. It's one of my favorite Jovi songs in general.

I love Neurotica too. It's good, old Jovi. I like I Could Make A Living Out Of Lovin' You. Just hard rock song. And of course some other songs are great, for example Ain't No Cure For Love... It's great.. Or I Don't Want To Live Forever... Why aren't these songs made the album? :confused:

I think it was another great time in the bands career. And I'm talkin' about the music and not the numbers.

Captain Walrus 12-02-2007 03:23 PM

Copy and paste of what I wrote about Crush a few months ago:

Crush is my personal least favourite BJ album, but that doesn't mean I think it's bad. And it was obviously a fantastically successful album to release at the time. There are definitely things I like about it: it's got some good songs, and as has already been said, it's their last album so far to have an average song length higher than 4 minutes 30 seconds (I think). It's a good album for new fans, but once you've heard their back catalogue, you start to realise things like how much It's My Life "borrows" from Prayer, and the same with Just Older and Blood On Blood ... or how Next 100 Years wants to be Dry County but falls short, etc. The most interesting songs I reckon are the ones that try something a bit new: Two Story Town, Say It Isn't So, Captain Crash, Mystery Train, and to an extent Thank You For Loving Me (a more strings than guitar driven ballad) and One Wild Night (with its stop-start dynamics). I'm also not too keen on the way the album just sort of disintegrates in the second half ... there are a fair few demos that would have made for a better flow. Of course, that does become a little understandable when you think about how many changes the album went through since it started off as JBJ's third solo album

dqgirl 12-02-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 789524)
You must be kidding me! A natural progression? That's how you call work with Max Martin? This was an album DESIGNED from A to Z to attract new audience, mainly the teenier boppers who by 2000 were slowly approaching mid-puberty. Keep The Faith was a natural progression. These Days was a natural progression. Crush wasn't.

Anyhow, I think it's a fairly decent album. Not the best, by far not the worst and actually, in my opinion, their best post 2000 record. better than both HAND and Bounce not to mention LH.

So you really think they sat down and Jon said "Okay boys, our last two albums were great, but that audience has moved on. What can we write that will attract the teeny boppers?" Because that's a loyal fan base! I just don't agree that it was a discussed process and they wrote solely towards that decision.

I know that when Crush came out, I loved it (with the exception of Mystery - never liked that one!). Now, I can't remember the last time I listened to it - probably my least favourite album. Although I do really like the bonus tracks.

Crushgen24/88 12-02-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 789778)
or how Next 100 Years wants to be Dry County but falls short, etc.

I still don't get thats one.
The only thing that even remotley attempts to make it sound like DC is the way the solo is tacked to the ending.
If anyting, I've always gotten an "In These Arms"y vibe off of Next 100 Years.

DevilsSon 12-03-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dqgirl (Post 789831)
So you really think they sat down and Jon said "Okay boys, our last two albums were great, but that audience has moved on. What can we write that will attract the teeny boppers?" Because that's a loyal fan base! I just don't agree that it was a discussed process and they wrote solely towards that decision.

Absolutely! Why on Earth would they work with Max Martin otherwise? Cause they enjoyed his work with the Backstreet Boys?

Captain Walrus 12-03-2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 789882)
I still don't get thats one.
The only thing that even remotley attempts to make it sound like DC is the way the solo is tacked to the ending.

That's mainly my point, yah

Javier 12-03-2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 789902)
That's mainly my point, yah

Well, that ain't exactly a Dry County only rule.

TheseDays2005 12-03-2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 789463)

Amen :painting:

Captain_jovi 12-03-2007 04:36 AM

While I don't agree with Devil on all aspects of what he's said in this thread, I do agree that "Crush" from the get go was planned as an album to attract a younger audience. For as much as the band says "we didn't expect to attract a new generation of fans", Bull. I have my reasons for thinking it was always intended to do what it did.