Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Eric Clapton (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=30263)

Captain Walrus 05-01-2005 02:15 PM

Eric Clapton

Can somebody recommend a Clapton album for me to buy?

allmike 05-01-2005 03:21 PM

All i have is ' The Cream of Clapton' and i love it. Here is the track list...

1. I Feel Free - Cream
2. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
3. White Room - Cream
4. Crossroads - Cream
5. Badge - Cream
6. Presence of the Lord - Blind Faith
7. Blues Power
8. After Midnight
9. Let It Rain
10. Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominos
11. Layla - Derek and the Dominos
12. I Shot the Sheriff
13. Let It Grow
14. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
15. Hello Old Friend
16. Cocaine
17. Wonderful Tonight
18. Promises
19. I Can't Stand It

Supersonic 05-01-2005 04:04 PM

Aloha !

I'm a small Clapton fan myself, I've got a few albums from him and have seen him live several times now. None of his studio albums can live up to him live. The live album One More Car, One More Rider is a reflection of how he is now, though his directions of making music changes about every 5 years as he is very diverse.

It contains a classics, a few album cuts from Reptile (one of his latest studio albums) and some blues songs. The power in this live album is not that all songs sound as great as they did when they just were released, but the performance itself, Clapton does gives all songs his best shot. The show starts acoustic and slowly builds up to the electric climax with Cocaine, Layla and the Cream classic Sunshine Of Your Love.

This CD was released because Clapton said he wouldn't go on tour again as he's getting a little older now (he's turned 60 last birthday I think) and doesn't want to live in hotel rooms for so many months per year. That's why the setlist was so carefully chosen. However, as soon as he released a new blues album, a small tour was planned, because he simply couldn't give up playing live. I've seen him live on this tour and this is one of the first live CD's that actually shows what it was to be there. The atmosphere is exactly the same and simply brilliant, in my opinion.

Tracklist:
CD1:
1.Key To The Highway (acoustic)
2.Reptile
3.Got You On My Mind
4.Tears In Heaven
5.Bell Bottom Blues
6.Change The World
7.My Father's Eyes
8.River Of Tears
9.Goin' Down Slow
10.She's Gone

CD2:
1.I Want A Little Girl
2.Badge
3.Hoochie Coochie Man
4.Have You Ever Loved A Woman?
5.Cocaine
6.Wonderful Tonight
7.Layla
8.Sunshine Of Your Love
9.Over The Rainbow

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

RichieW2001 05-01-2005 04:41 PM

i agree with seb. that version of layla is absolutely fantastic, even though the song is cut from two different shows. as for studio stuff, my favourite is probably derek and the dominoes' 'layla and other assorted love songs'.

Supersonic 05-01-2005 05:07 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieW2001
i agree with seb. that version of layla is absolutely fantastic, even though the song is cut from two different shows. as for studio stuff, my favourite is probably derek and the dominoes' 'layla and other assorted love songs'.

Are you sure it's from 2 different shows? What makes you think so?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Rob 05-02-2005 03:11 PM

Start with "The Cream of Eric Clapton" because that's probably got most of the well known hits and popular songs on it. When (not if) you like it then get another hits compilation album called "Clapton Chronicles". This features 15 completely different songs than "The Cream of..." including 'Tears in Heaven', 'Bad Love', 'Before You Accuse Me' and 'Layla Unplugged'. It's not as upbeat as "The Cream of..." but definately worth getting. If you like this then you could also try "Eric Clapton Unplugged" or "The Very Best of Cream", before Eric went solo. Although you might already have some of the songs and there's a lot of Blues music on that album, which might not be up your street.

You'll love Eric, enjoy! :P

Tashjbj 05-02-2005 09:41 PM

I have Timepieces which is very good. Has a lot of well known songs.

Rob 05-02-2005 10:28 PM

Yeah I think a lot of the songs from Time Pieces though are on either Cream of... or Chronicles though.

RichieW2001 05-03-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

Quote:

Are you sure it's from 2 different shows? What makes you think so?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

the extended ending is exactly the same on the dvd as it is on the cd, yet the rest of the song isn't.

Supersonic 05-03-2005 06:36 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

the extended ending is exactly the same on the dvd as it is on the cd, yet the rest of the song isn't.

Hmm, I haven't noticed that. I thought they only cut a part off the beginning before the song actually starts. I'll check it out later this week, I thought the show was actually without almost any overdubs because Clapton was surprised about how good the show sounded.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

UKjovi 05-03-2005 10:22 PM

none

Rob 05-03-2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKjovi
none

You not like Eric? Should give him a listen. Bet he'd get Pammy rockin'.

UKjovi 05-03-2005 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKjovi
none

You not like Eric? Should give him a listen. Bet he'd get Pammy rockin'.

i dare say but he just gets on my neaves . sorry and all but each to his own but hes anouying

jess 05-04-2005 11:53 AM

The Cream "era" is the best in my opinion.

RichieW2001 05-04-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !

Quote:

Hmm, I haven't noticed that. I thought they only cut a part off the beginning before the song actually starts. I'll check it out later this week, I thought the show was actually without almost any overdubs because Clapton was surprised about how good the show sounded.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

the dvd isn't dubbed at all. if you check the sleeve notes for the cd though, it's recorded from two separate dates. i guess the main body of the song was better from one night and the outro was better from the other night.