Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Official Bryan Adams Thread (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=47551)

Captain Walrus 02-10-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 969317)
No question. Reckless! It's an awesome album and really rocks out. There isn't a weak track on it and there's some good rock songs and some good ballads. Good all round stadium rock album for me. As for Farenheit then there are a few good songs on it, but also some shitters as well. It's pretty average compared to what came later. I think a better comparison would have been Reckless and Slippery. Reckless was also released in 1984 by the way.

Yeah, I realised that after I posted! So I guess you could compare it to Bon Jovi's debut if you wanted, or even Slippery, but I think the 7800 vs. Reckless is a pretty valid match up.

I'd say Slippery > 7800 > Reckless > Bon Jovi

Although Summer Of '69 is possibly better than any song on 7800, I think 7800 is the stronger album, more adventurous and somehow more real

SexxAtraxxion 02-11-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 969483)
Yeah, I realised that after I posted! So I guess you could compare it to Bon Jovi's debut if you wanted, or even Slippery, but I think the 7800 vs. Reckless is a pretty valid match up.

I'd say Slippery > 7800 > Reckless > Bon Jovi

Although Summer Of '69 is possibly better than any song on 7800, I think 7800 is the stronger album, more adventurous and somehow more real

Entire albums, maybe.

But "Heaven" destroys any Bon Jovi ballad.

Best regards,
the Sexx

jungleland 02-11-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexxAtraxxion (Post 969518)

But "Heaven" destroys any Bon Jovi ballad.

nope:mad::mad::mad::mad:

SexxAtraxxion 02-11-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleland (Post 969554)
nope:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I love all the Bon Jovi ballads from '86 to '94. But they all sound cheesie compared to Heaven.

note: just my opinion :D

Best regards,
the Sexx

Captain Walrus 02-11-2010 10:42 PM

Heaven is a decent song, but it's not that good. The lyrics are very average (surely the line "I'm finding it hard to believe we're in Heaven" is an insult of some kind?), and it's instrumentally very sparse. It works, but I prefer almost every Bon Jovi ballad to it.

jungleland 02-11-2010 11:38 PM

Never thought that Heaven was that outstanding. BA by numbers if you ask me...

Rob 02-12-2010 01:04 AM

The whole Reckless album is awesome I think. The only thing I'd say as with most Bryan Adams songs (and a lot of BJ songs for that matter), is that the whole album is about love. The album tracks such as She's Only Happy When She's Dancin, Long Gone and Ain't Gonna Cry, as well as the singles all kick ass. Musically the album is ace and I think Bryan has a great voice for rock songs, which are in good supply, but the fact that all the songs are about the same topic I guess it just lacks diversity. 7880 does have a bit of diversity with songs about different things, but for me there are just too many weak songs on it.

As for Reckless vs. Slippery then I gotta go Slippery as I'm more biased to Jovi than to BA. Not by much though. I think they're a good comparison. Both albums contain 10 solid songs with good rock songs and ballads.

Avantasian 02-27-2010 02:01 PM

Bryan got two new songs out for the olympic games, both co-written by Jim Vallance as far as I know:

One world one flame -
http://www.bryanadams.com/index.php?...ow_release=425

and

Bang the drum (not much in common with the JBJ song though) -

Dave 1986 11-28-2012 03:01 AM

Thought this might be intersting for some of us.

Bryan Adams remastered albums with bonus tracks.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.htm...20&order=score

Reckless is tempting just for "Diana" alone but sure if I wanna spend £20 for an album I already have, not to mention shipping.

Dave 1986 06-29-2014 12:03 PM

A Reckless 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is being released on September 8th. Will contain previously unreleased material.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...ckless-deluxe/

Thunderstrucker 06-29-2014 12:47 PM

I am not a huge fan of Bryan Adams. I only listen to the older albums. Then again, I do like to go a concert for a night out. I'll be seeing his acoustic concert in July and will go to his electric one in december. I'm looking forward to both. Different setting, different persons I go with and a different venue.

I salute you,
TS

Robdee1000 06-30-2014 03:33 PM

I love Bryan Adams! Im just a massive softie at heart though. Seen him live a few times and he always puts on a great show, love his voice too so his Bare Bones tour was amazing, couldn't get a ticket though :(

Fave Tracks?! Erm.. Apart from the old classics i'd go with There Will Never Be Another Tonight, Dont Let Go (with Sarah McLaughlin) and the whole of On A Day Like Today, just all of it.

Dave 1986 09-19-2014 08:11 PM

Bryan Adams Reckless Deluxe Edition out November 10th.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bryan...kless-reissue/

The 4 disc box set is £45 on Amazon which is a bit steep so I might wait a while.

Oh and he has a new album out called Tracks of My Years which is probably gonna suck.:p

SexxAtraxxion 09-19-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1182011)

The 4 disc box set is £45 on Amazon which is a bit steep so I might wait a while.

Oh and he has a new album out called Tracks of My Years which is probably gonna suck.:p

Thanks, I didn't know about the Reckless reissue. Looking forward to it, this is my favorite BA album.

Tracks of My Years is a covers album.

Supersonic 09-19-2014 08:56 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1182011)

That box set is alright, the tour that's going with it will be nice as he'll be playing the full Reckless album that night, meaning Long Gone and I Ain't Gonna Cry will finally be performed live (again). I'm tempted to go, the thing with his shows nowadays is that half of his set is rather forgettable drivel. It'd be nice if he'd do an eighties tour only, I'd pay good money for that.

I've heard most of the new album though, that cover album sounds absolutely horrible. His rendition of Rock and Roll Music sounds so poor, I was really disappointed. The new single isn't any good either, really a guy who doesn't seem to be interested in writing new songs anymore, let alone recording them properly with a true band like he used to do in the eighties and nineties.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Dave 1986 09-19-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1182017)
Aloha !

That box set is alright, the tour that's going with it will be nice as he'll be playing the full Reckless album that night, meaning Long Gone and I Ain't Gonna Cry will finally be performed live (again). I'm tempted to go, the thing with his shows nowadays is that half of his set is rather forgettable drivel. It'd be nice if he'd do an eighties tour only, I'd pay good money for that.

I've heard most of the new album though, that cover album sounds absolutely horrible. His rendition of Rock and Roll Music sounds so poor, I was really disappointed. The new single isn't any good either, really a guy who doesn't seem to be interested in writing new songs anymore, let alone recording them properly with a true band like he used to do in the eighties and nineties.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

He played Reckless from start to finish when I saw him in Cardiff 10 years ago and that was a first apparently. I hadn't heard the album all the way through by then so that was that little bit more exciting for me. "Long Gone" hadn't been played since the Waking Up the Neighbours tour in 1992 and "Ain't Gonna Cry" had never been played live before ever. Half the time when I listen to the album now, it reminds me of that night.

I've heard the new single and it's dull as. Like you say, sounds like he cannot be arsed anymore. I listened to a clip of his cover of the Beatles "Anytime At All" and whilst it's ok, Bryan could have done a hell of a better job of it. Even the BA of today could have really rocked it up and made it awesome! Instead it's just a forgettable semi-acoustic cover that even I could have done at home.

That box set does look absolutely stella but it's missing a few song like "Diana" (which I can understand to a point) and the two Christmas songs he released around that time as they were both included on the Japanese reissue in 2012. Maybe because he didn't have much (if any) control over those.

I hope it's a nice remaster though, not compressed to hell like say, Anthology.

And the tour actually sounds tempting this time but I can't think of anyone I know who would actually go with me!

Miracle 09-20-2014 04:53 AM

Got an email earlier this week that Bryan Adams is going on tour to support this Reckless re-release. I feel like I've failed as a Canadian for never seeing him in concert before. Guess I know what I'm doing in February.

Supersonic 09-20-2014 09:36 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1182020)
I've heard the new single and it's dull as. Like you say, sounds like he cannot be arsed anymore. I listened to a clip of his cover of the Beatles "Anytime At All" and whilst it's ok, Bryan could have done a hell of a better job of it. Even the BA of today could have really rocked it up and made it awesome! Instead it's just a forgettable semi-acoustic cover that even I could have done at home.

Apparantly he needed new material to cover new ground in America as he currently doesn't have a record deal there anymore. This album would land him a new deal, but yeah, he could've put a bit more into them like he did. Room Service, 11 and this one all suffer massively from the same dull production and very soulles songwriting. And I very much doubt this doing the trick anyway.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Panda 09-21-2014 06:22 PM

Going to Bryan Adams in January. 0X

Johny 09-21-2014 11:28 PM

I've seen Bryan in June and I went mainly because a friend asked me to join her. I had seen him once before and looking at the setlists he still plays the same. Yeah, he played the same but the show was perfect. I really enjoyed myself a lot. His singing was perfect, the difference between him and Jon is remarkable. He totally knew what he was doing.
I heard the new original song from the covers album and it a very lazy work. I think Seb nailed it that he doesn't put much effort into creating something new that would be worth listening to. I stop with Here I Am while listening to his albums, anything after is so forgettable. It just raises the question what should an artist at this point of career do. People want to hear the classics at the shows, only the diehards care for the new material and even less buys it so creating something seems even more pointless because it also costs money, which an artists gets back from intensive touring. Poison decided not to release anything and just do a tour once in a while, Def Leppard decided to release a song once in a while (still waiting for something after Mirrorball), Bon Jovi still try to be relevant but the success is partial. Bryan Adams decided to release at least something when he constantly tours. I still think that Europe found the best way, maybe it helps that they weren't that big and also that they disappeared for ten years so they started again in 2004. Anyway, they just make music they feels is the best, and they like. No trying to break into charts, just playing. Even though I don't like Bag Of Bones as I love Last Look At Eden. I'd love Bon Jovi to release an album like this.

Dave 1986 08-09-2015 11:55 AM

Bryan is going to release a "retro rock" album soon....

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/64800/

...now what other band used to say that about some of the last few albums they released? [emoji12]

Does sound promising but I'll believe it when I hear it. If it IS a true rock album, then the Reckless reissue/tour must have rubbed off on him.

rolo_tomachi 08-11-2015 04:24 PM

You Belong To Me (the first track of album) is on itunes.

https://www.7digital.com/artist/brya...-belong-to-me/

The Real first single release september 7, called brand new day.

Walleris 08-12-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1191598)
You Belong To Me (the first track of album) is on itunes.

https://www.7digital.com/artist/brya...-belong-to-me/

The Real first single release september 7, called brand new day.

Very excited about this!

He sounded amazing when I saw him earlier this year, and I loved She Knows Me (the only new song on his last year's cover album) and what he said in that interview gives me hope. Jon should take notes and do the same instead of manufacturing an album every 2-3 years even in his 50s.

Dave 1986 08-15-2015 02:15 PM

The new song is ok. When Bryan described the album as "retro" he wasn't kidding! But by that I thought he might just return to his 80's sound a bit.

"You Belong to Me" is very similar in vein to "Blessing in Disguise" (a bonus track from the Room Service album) and is not leading me to rush out and buy the album at this point. Obviously wait til I've heard more songs then I'll decide. I don't really want another Room Service/11 type album.

Supersonic 08-16-2015 03:44 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1191945)
The new song is ok. When Bryan described the album as "retro" he wasn't kidding! But by that I thought he might just return to his 80's sound a bit.

"You Belong to Me" is very similar in vein to "Blessing in Disguise" (a bonus track from the Room Service album) and is not leading me to rush out and buy the album at this point. Obviously wait til I've heard more songs then I'll decide. I don't really want another Room Service/11 type album.

Yeah, it sounds like the usual bland stuff from Room Service and 11. It sounds retro, but without all the edges that classic rock & roll can have. It's a shame that he doesn't seem to realize that a vintage rock album like Reckless or even Into The Fire would sell so much better. Or he just no longer wants his stuff to sell. :|

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Dave 1986 08-16-2015 03:57 PM

The fact that this song is the opening track to the album says to me that the rest of the album will largely be in the same vein, which like I say, doesn't excite me at this point.

I really do question what his motives are for making albums these days, aside from filling up his record deal maybe. The music he's put out the last decade (what there's been of it) has been forgettable save for maybe a few songs. But then he probably more than makes up for lack of sales through touring anyway.

ezearis 09-16-2015 06:25 PM

I just found out about the new album and I have to say that I really like the new song. With Burning Bridges and new albums by Def Leppard and Bryan Adams this will be a nice year!

rolo_tomachi 09-19-2015 07:15 PM

Brand New Day

Walleris 10-11-2015 12:06 PM

Another new one.

Very Beatles-esque (pre-Sgt Pepper). The song itself is OK and it would be one thing if Jon put out something like this. But with Bryan's great voice and passion I see in his recent live performances, I can't help but feel disappointed that he doesn't want to bring it to his new songs.

The acoustic bits here sound better; I wish this song had a different arrangement, it could achieve more potential.

Dave 1986 03-22-2019 05:05 PM

New single, title track from his latest album, Shine a Light.

PanosBonJovi 08-02-2019 11:20 AM

Shine A Light Tour is big and Bryan Adams is finally coming to Greece after 27 years! I saw him in Sofia in 2016, oh man, what an amazing show!

He's great, if you got the chance, it's a must see

Supersonic 08-02-2019 12:41 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanosBonJovi (Post 1258042)
He's great, if you got the chance, it's a must see

I felt the same way after I'd seen him play for the first time.

Then I learned that he's kind of a prick to die hards requesting rare songs I quickly fell out of love with his "genuine" thank you's. It's really all a very well rehearsed act as he's turned into an applause junkie. Most of what's said is said just so people can sing praises.

I'd pay good money if he'd do tour playing stuff from the eighties only but unfortunately there's too many ballads and slow songs, absolutely no flow, everything's scripted including the "requests" and "genuine" thank you speeches, the new stuff is wank and then there's the god-awful encores consisting of irrelevant covers and more ballads.

The last time I saw him play was for the Get Up! tour and frankly I was bored out of my mind as half the set is stuff that either doesn't deserve to get played or needs to be put to rest. Much like with Bon Jovi, really.

But have fun. :D

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

PanosBonJovi 08-03-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1258044)
Aloha !

I felt the same way after I'd seen him play for the first time.

Then I learned that he's kind of a prick to die hards requesting rare songs I quickly fell out of love with his "genuine" thank you's. It's really all a very well rehearsed act as he's turned into an applause junkie. Most of what's said is said just so people can sing praises.

I'd pay good money if he'd do tour playing stuff from the eighties only but unfortunately there's too many ballads and slow songs, absolutely no flow, everything's scripted including the "requests" and "genuine" thank you speeches, the new stuff is wank and then there's the god-awful encores consisting of irrelevant covers and more ballads.

The last time I saw him play was for the Get Up! tour and frankly I was bored out of my mind as half the set is stuff that either doesn't deserve to get played or needs to be put to rest. Much like with Bon Jovi, really.

But have fun. :D

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Great way to prevent someone from going 😂 Anyway, I really liked and enjoyed the show in Sofia during the Get Up Tour so I’d love to see Bryan Adams again. Possibly it’s all scripted as you mention but at least he can sing (shots fired Jon :D) and performs about 3 hours if I’m not mistaken and the ticket is cheap so nothing better to do on a Monday night in November, right?. In Sofia he played 32 songs and closed the encore with Straight from the Heart and All For One.

Supersonic 08-05-2019 11:26 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanosBonJovi (Post 1258053)
Great way to prevent someone from going 😂 Anyway, I really liked and enjoyed the show in Sofia during the Get Up Tour so I’d love to see Bryan Adams again. Possibly it’s all scripted as you mention but at least he can sing (shots fired Jon :D) and performs about 3 hours if I’m not mistaken and the ticket is cheap so nothing better to do on a Monday night in November, right?. In Sofia he played 32 songs and closed the encore with Straight from the Heart and All For One.

Your arguments were all reasons why I went for a second time as well. But those songs have been part of the encore for about 20 years. Pretty much if Bon Jovi always would've started doing an encore of Runaway and Bed Of Roses on the Crush Tour and then never removing them or changing the arrangements. It gets old rather quick. There's really no reason to stay anymore after the main set as the chance of getting something you've either not heard before or something decent are slim. And although the shows feel long, most run for 2,5 hours including many breaks (Encore this, encore that, switch to b-stage, doing lengthy boring speeches etc.).

As for it being scripted; He did a show in the U.K. years ago going "I usually don't say this but tonight I'll make an exception. This is the best crowd of the tour hands down" and then went on to repeat it for the rest of the U.K. leg. I know artists have their schtick but there's telling a story every time or just saying things for a reaction. Everything he says in between the songs is scripted and done to get an applause out of the crowd. Cheer for the drummer. Cheer for the piano player. Cheer for the house lights. Cheer for the women from [insert country], cheer for the French fries ordered earlier. Cheer for this. Cheer for that. A lot of his schtick is great a first time but once you notice this it's hard not to miss it and it gets a bit much. :)

I always feel that in between the pointless banter, endless ballads, guitar adjusting and the "I will invite a girl onstage, preferably a blonde" there's a truly great Bryan Adams show in there somewhere. It's why recordings from the shows from before 1992 are just a lot more enjoyable for me.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Dave 1986 02-21-2022 08:25 PM

So Happy It Hurts

New album So Happy It Hurts is out 11th March 2022.

I've listened to the title track and "On The Road" so far and they sound decent, though nothing memorable. I haven't listened to a "new" Bryan album since 11 (2008 ) which was borderline mediocre along with Room Service (2004) but these two seem to have a slightly sharper more "rock" production than the two previous albums I mentioned. Obviously not on the same level as Reckless or even On a Day Like Today.

I'm not sure how many people here are still interested in new Bryan Adams music but it's here.

fanofrem 02-21-2022 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave 1986 (Post 1277784)
New album So Happy It Hurts is out 11th March 2022.

I've listened to the title track and "On The Road" so far and they sound decent, though nothing memorable. I haven't listened to a "new" Bryan album since 11 (2008 ) which was borderline mediocre along with Room Service (2004) but these two seem to have a slightly sharper more "rock" production than the two previous albums I mentioned. Obviously not on the same level as Reckless or even On a Day Like Today.

I'm not sure how many people here are still interested in new Bryan Adams music but it's here.

He also have an digital album out on march 4th. Music from the Pretty Woman musical with his vocals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 02-22-2022 08:35 AM

The song So happy it hurts is Bryan adams by numbers and nothing new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xavi 03-12-2022 04:33 PM

New album out yesterday.
Anyone listened to it?
I am about to start it.

Supersonic 05-14-2022 12:10 PM

Aloha !

I've just come back from London to see Bryan Adams play Cuts Like A Knife, Into the Fire and Waking Up The Neighbours in full followed by about 14 other songs, I think. This is the equivalent of Bon Jovi playing Fahrenheit, New Jersey and Keep The Faith in full. These shows were pretty good even though I've no desire to ever go see him live again. The first half is why I became a fan and the second half, which is what he regularly does nowadays, is why I'm no longer interested. It felt like watching 2 different acts.

However, would Bryan Adams have supported Bon Jovi several years ago and played about 10 of his biggest hits there's just no way Jon wouldn't have gotten some shit from both casuals and die hard Bon Jovi fans. Both he and his band give Bon Jovi a run for their money nowadays. I've just looked up what his biggest hits in the U.S.A. were and made a selection:

1. Straight From the Heart
2. Run To You
3. Heaven
4. One Night Love Affair
5. Heat Of The Night
6. (Everything I Do) I Do It for You
7. Do I Have To Say The Words?
8. Can't Stop This Thing We Started
9. All For Love
10. Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?

These were all top 10 hits and include 4 number 1 singles.

If that would get followed up by Bon Jovi played 6 of their hits and then 14 of the songs no one cares for there's just no way people wouldn't have preferred the support act over the headliner. Jon Bon Jovi's lucky that tour got canceled.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

B.J. Always 05-15-2022 10:19 AM

I lost interest in Bryan back in the 90's. I remember a woman I used to work with was obsessed by Bryan--it was actually almost creepy!