Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Green Day album(s?) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53921)

Panda 04-12-2012 12:37 AM

New Green Day album(s?)

Billie Joe announced on his Twitter that Green Day would be releasing 3 full length studio album set called ĦUNO! (September), ĦDOS! (November) and ĦTRE! (released Jan 2013)

Thoughts? Anyone excited?

Crushgen24/88 04-12-2012 12:46 AM

You beat me to it Erik. Here's the official press release, with release dates. One in September, one in November, and one in January:
http://greenday.com/node/7541

And yeah, suffice to say, I'm very excited!!!

nickolai 04-12-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1082340)
Billie Joe announced on his Twitter that Green Day would be releasing 3 full length studio album set called ĦUNO! (September), ĦDOS! (November) and ĦTRE! (released Jan 2013)

Thoughts? Anyone excited?

Er....very.

Captain Walrus 04-13-2012 06:55 PM

Their last two albums have both been my album of the year, so yeah, pretty excited about this!

Walkerboy 04-16-2012 05:30 PM

Missed them at Wembley in 2010 due to being at the O2 for BJ, so am desperate to see them again on next tour.
Loved American Idiot & 21st Century Breakdown, but will be interesting to hear how the new albums come out.

Panda 04-16-2012 10:14 PM

Green Day puts off the most energy I have ever seen a band put off live. If it was up to me seeing Green Day or Bon Jovi at this point, I'd choose Green Day.

bounce442 04-18-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1082512)
Green Day puts off the most energy I have ever seen a band put off live. If it was up to me seeing Green Day or Bon Jovi at this point, I'd choose Green Day.

The first time I saw Green Day, I thought myself a punk band was not suppose to be this good live. In fact, I swore to my friends that they'd taken a few pages out of BJ's playbook. When I saw them they were certainly hungrier than BJ. They were younger and had more energy since BJ on the OWN night tour. They are both great live bands.

I am very excited about this! I am kind hoping they drop the epics story telling ideas and go back to simple, awesome punk/pop records. Great news regardless.

Crushgen24/88 04-19-2012 10:05 PM

Green Day are the only live act I've ever seen that's on the same level as Bruce and E Street. I would reccomend them to anyone.

Walkerboy 08-20-2012 04:21 PM

Just announced a one-off show at Shepherds Bush Empire this Thursday night!!!

Tickets on sale to fanclub members 9am on Tuesday, general sale 12pm.

UKjovi 08-20-2012 04:25 PM

Hope they are good.

Simon 08-20-2012 08:11 PM

This is gonna be interesting.

nickolai 08-20-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1082512)

Saw them in 2005 in Milton Keynes and it shits on any gig I've been to

Walkerboy 08-21-2012 05:14 PM

Looks like fanclub snapped up 95% of the tickets.
What was left went on sale at 12pm and I couldn't get any 30 seconds later.

steel_horse75 08-23-2012 09:33 AM

pre-ordered all 3.

Cant beat a bit of Green Day.

Walkerboy 08-24-2012 01:33 PM

Billie Joe Armstrong confirmed a full UK tour for 2013, but failed to mention locations/dates.
However, earlier in the week he did confirm June 1st at Emirates Stadium.
Will certainly be noisier than it is for Gooner home games!

Panda 09-21-2012 04:50 PM

Huzzzaahhhh

Rob 09-24-2012 07:37 PM

Don't get me wrong this is great news but to release that amount of material at one time (well staggered over 4 months) then there has to be a lot of filler on those albums. Maybe this is like their boxset with all the previous unused recordings and outakes? Or maybe it's all the punk-rock songs they've been writing over the past 10 years when they've also been busy writing all the political stuff (which I love btw)? Either way I think the Uno lead single, Oh Love is crap. Heard it on Aussie radio and it's proper catchy bullshit.

Walkerboy 09-24-2012 07:49 PM

Funnily enough "Oh Love" is actually the last, and worst, track on the album.
I've only listened to the album once, but I'm not overly impressed. Musically it's very similar to the previous two albums (Carpe Diem is IDENTICAL to something from 21st Century Breakdown) but with different lyrics.

Simon 09-24-2012 09:07 PM

I really like the album, beats the pre-American Idiot albums easily. Not a single filler. Of course in its specific genre. You shouldn't expect songs with more than 3 chords, that means. "Kill The DJ" adds a welcome different flavour, if only I would ask for more variety overall. But it's a really fun album and am curious about the other two.

And I love "Oh Love", it's one of their best songs imo.

Crushgen24/88 09-25-2012 09:24 PM

I was afraid that these albums would be full of filler, but so far Uno is proving me wrong. I pretty much like every song on there. It's almost like an "alternate history", as a lot of it sounds like where Green Day could have gone post-Warning. Favorite tracks so far are Carpe Diem, Angel Blue, Oh Love, and Sweet 16.

Panda 09-26-2012 05:24 PM

I get Green Day is all about not caring and whatnot...

But I really don't like this album much. I feel like the use of the F word is kinda overdone. I get it - but to have it at least 3 or 4 times every song gets really old, really fast.

I'll say it now. I like when they were all political and trying to portray a message to everyone, even if it was F*ck you George Bush or whatever.

I do like how Jason White seams to be an official member of the band, though.

Carpe Diem sounds like a huge ripoff of Before The Lobotomy.

Walkerboy 09-26-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1090628)

Carpe Diem sounds like a huge ripoff of Before The Lobotomy.

EXACTLY my thought.......

steel_horse75 09-28-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1090628)
I feel like the use of the F word is kinda overdone. I get it - but to have it at least 3 or 4 times every song gets really old, really fast.

I agree.

They said theyve gone back to their old sound but all theyve done is gone back to being what they were with the Warning album - average.

The 2nd album out of the 3 is meant to be the best.

Thunderstrucker 10-01-2012 03:43 PM

The album is easy to listen to but nothing spectacular.
I was taking a look at the Uno deluxe edition that comes with 3CD-slipcases to complete the collection. So they will look like a 3CD-boxset which looks pretty neat. Though I am wondering why they don't include a seperate slipcase for Uno as the boxset looks unfinished now:
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Mus...+CD-351388.jsp

Would look better if there was a cardboard filler for Uno as well.

I salute you,
TS

Panda 10-05-2012 07:43 AM

Green Day will be on the new Twilight soundtrack.

First Muse, now this.

Faith in Green Day = even more lowered.

Also, the new album isn't holding up for me at all. This is an album I'd expect from immature 20 year olds who don't think about anything other that sex, drugs and rock n roll. Even the music videos are downright vulgar and borderline disgusting. Not only that, but the melodies are cheep rehashes from the last few albums, and there's way too much filler on here. Like I mentioned before, I understand you like the F word, but there really is no reason to use it that much. If I wanted that much vulgarity I would listen to Gangsta Rap. There seams to be no theme or flow to the album, and the songs are more or less emotionless. I'd give the album a 3/10. The only album I might dislike more is Insomniac.

21st Century Breakdown was soooo much better.

Crushgen24/88 10-05-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1091132)

Also, the new album isn't holding up for me at all. This is an album I'd expect from immature 20 year olds who don't think about anything other that sex, drugs and rock n roll. Even the music videos are downright vulgar and borderline disgusting. Not only that, but the melodies are cheep rehashes from the last few albums, and there's way too much filler on here. Like I mentioned before, I understand you like the F word, but there really is no reason to use it that much. If I wanted that much vulgarity I would listen to Gangsta Rap. There seams to be no theme or flow to the album, and the songs are more or less emotionless. I'd give the album a 3/10. The only album I might dislike more is Insomniac.

21st Century Breakdown was soooo much better.

Obviously you're free to your opinions Erik, but when it comes to the "****" think, I think you're really overstating it. The word (or a derivative of) appears in 5/13 tracks. And if you take out Kill The DJ (where it's purposely overused) it appears a grand total of 8 times in the other 4 songs it appears, most of the time in the middle of a line. I honestly don't think that's overkill at all.
As for the record itself, I understand why you don't like it. It's a pop-punk record (which I know isn't your genre of choice) basically acting as if American Idiot and 21CB didn't happen. It seems to me that the band is trying to please everyone/go every possible direction with these three records. Uno being a lbery Pop Punk album, Dos is supposed to be very reminiscent of the Foxboro Hot Tubs garage rock but with heavier grooves, and Tre has the stadium rock opera stuf. Like I said when they announced the whole project, I don't know how good of an idea that is, but it's what I think they were going for.

Crushgen24/88 10-05-2012 05:40 PM

As for my actual opinions on the album, I personally think it's good. It's not anywhere close to American Idiot or Warning territory. Probably falls somewhere in line around Dookie and 21CB for me. I do like it better than Insomniac or Nimrod.

Captain Walrus 11-17-2012 09:53 PM

So, thoughts on Dos anyone?

Thunderstrucker 11-17-2012 11:33 PM

Funny you mention it as I listened to it today.
Like !Uno, nothing special, some nice tracks but most tracks feel like songs with no other purpose then to make it to 30 minutes.

I salute you,
TS

Panda 11-19-2012 07:57 PM

If anything, Uno is even worse than when i first listened to then.

With bilies drug fiasco and all that, 2 really boring albums with not much hope for the third being better, i think my green day days are over. I liked them in high school, but listening to them now as a 20 years old only shows how elemen tary and boring a lot of their stuff is. its just.. Not that good. These guys are 40 years old. they need to grow up one day.

Crushgen24/88 11-21-2012 07:50 AM

I like UNO better than Dos, but the general consensus seems to go the other way. I do enjoy Amy quite a bit though.

Walkerboy 12-04-2012 11:33 PM

Not really liked Uno or Dos, but just started listening to Tre and I really like Brutal Love......

Walkerboy 12-04-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1095845)
These guys are 40 years old. they need to grow up one day.

Problem with growing up and writing songs like a 40 year old would do is that they become as dull as BJ.......

Panda 12-06-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkerboy (Post 1096885)
Problem with growing up and writing songs like a 40 year old would do is that they become as dull as BJ.......

Nope, 21st Century Breakdown was a step in the right direction. And then... now we're back to songs a 17 year old could compose and write.

steel_horse75 12-12-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1097057)
Nope, 21st Century Breakdown was a step in the right direction. And then... now we're back to songs a 17 year old could compose and write.

Agree.
Before AI and 21stCB Green Day were losing the plot and getting stale. Warning proved that. For me its by far their worst album.
They re-invented themselves with AI and then followed it up with 21stCB.
I have Uno, Dos & Tre and for me they have lost the plot again.

Hands up who didnt know that when they said they would release 3 albums in 3 months you were gonna get 3 average albums that when you take out the best songs you have roughly 12 very good songs - so just release 1 good album instead of 3 boring ones.

As posted in the thread before - BJA seems to have re-found the word F*** again cos he loves using it.

I like half of Uno, the 2nd half of Dos and about 3 on Tre.

I hope the go back to the path that lead them to AI and 21stCB cos I wont be buying anymore Green Day albums if they sound like these. This is the wrong direction for the band who as you say are 40+

Bounce7800 12-12-2012 01:09 PM

I quite like some of the songs on Uno, not particularily fond of much on Dos so I dont hold up a great deal of hope for a great deal on the third album. Im sure its nice for big fans to have 3 albums worth of stuff, but for the most part its an exercise in pointlessness.

Captain Walrus 12-30-2012 08:29 PM

Forgot to post at the time, but I saw the American Idiot musical a couple of weeks ago on the last night of its residency in London and thought it was utterly fantastic! Anyone else seen it?

Crushgen24/88 03-11-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Walrus (Post 1098667)
Forgot to post at the time, but I saw the American Idiot musical a couple of weeks ago on the last night of its residency in London and thought it was utterly fantastic! Anyone else seen it?

Saw it twice in it's initial Broadway run and thought it was fantastic. The soundtrack album is damn good as well. (It's the original cast on vocals, and Green Day themselves playing the music.)

steel_horse75 03-21-2013 09:11 AM

Havent touched these 3 albums since way before Xmas. Very poor effort.

Panda 03-21-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1117572)
Havent touched these 3 albums since way before Xmas. Very poor effort.

Completely agree. I honestly think they might even be worse than What Aboot Now. The four biggest disappointments of the last 6 months are: (and this is something I thought I'd never say aboot these bands) Green Day, Green Day, Green Day, Bon Jovi.