Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Whats the attraction with This Aint A Love Song???? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=53325)

zero_zero_UFO 07-31-2011 07:37 PM

It was my most wanted for this tour....didn't get it unfortunately.

It's partly a case of I have heard Bed Of Roses and Always numerous times. It's also partly because These Days is my favourite album.
But I think alot of it comes from the performance on the Live In London video. When I think of TAALS being performed I think of all that emotion, the whole mic stand being thrown to the ground....all that shebang. I know nowadays he doesn't really move from the mic stand and the security of his teleprompter thing, and I know it would be a massive anticlimax...but I still want it :P
Absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say. And it has been absent from all the gigs I have been to!

Rdkopper 07-31-2011 08:06 PM

Just like the way Everyday was to capitalize off the success of IML, TAALS was to capitalize off the success of Always. However in America, the song did not do so well and I think Jon wrote it off b/c of that. At that time there was a rock movement so that song and entire album did not get a fair chance which sucks b/c Jon and the Band were at their prime in every category during that period. America missed out on the best part of Bon Jovi.....

As much as I hate to admit it, Seb nailed it down in the previous post. The song is brilliant but b/c it didn't do well in America, it doesn't get the live recognition that BOR and Always gets so when us fans do get a live performance, it's a nice treat.

I was watching Dancing With The Stars last season (not by choice) and someone covered it. Hearing someone else sing it really made me appreciate the song even more on a lyrical level. Sometimes you get so accustom to listening to a song in only one light, you overlook certain factors. Hearing someone else sing it really made me realize how great the song really is.

IMO, it is truly is one of the best ballads by this band.

Neurotica80 08-10-2011 07:07 PM

Last proper power ballad with a bit of passion which builds up into a great love song. It was awesome live too, i'd take that at every show over Make a memory or Superman tonight.

Sambo-Chris 08-10-2011 09:44 PM

attraction? absolutely none.

gomora 08-10-2011 10:02 PM

It's more subtle than a 'power ballad' imo.

But lyrically BOR is way better. TAALS also has that Child-all-over it whiff.

schlochty 08-10-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomora (Post 1070974)
It's more subtle than a 'power ballad' imo.

This is exactly why I like the song so much. It's not as kinky as Always and it's not trying as hard to be a power ballad as BOR. While it is their last power ballad, it is not a typical power ballad. It too complex for that.

For me, it's the same with Hey God and Keep the Faith. Hey God is more subtle. I guess it's why I love the TD record so much. It's on a totally different level in terms of depth, subtleness and musicianship compared to all other albums. It feels like, for once in their career, they were not possessed by the idea to write a hit song / hit album.

SamboraQueen21 08-11-2011 03:03 AM

i like the way it builds and builds to the end... i love the guitar solo, i love the string instruments they used... how it fades out... i remember this video as one of the last BJ videos to really get played on MTV... i was lucky enough to see it live on the These Days tour.... great song!

Kathleen 08-11-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlochty (Post 1070987)
This is exactly why I like the song so much. It's not as kinky as Always and it's not trying as hard to be a power ballad as BOR. While it is their last power ballad, it is not a typical power ballad. It too complex for that.

For me, it's the same with Hey God and Keep the Faith. Hey God is more subtle. I guess it's why I love the TD record so much. It's on a totally different level in terms of depth, subtleness and musicianship compared to all other albums. It feels like, for once in their career, they were not possessed by the idea to write a hit song / hit album.

That's a perfect way to describe it. And yes - These Days has always been my favorite - even though other albums actually got me into the band.

Bochia86 08-11-2011 05:19 AM

It's really a sad song but it's so beautiful... The styles combined, like Seb said, made the song for me. The guitar work is excellent and Jon at that time was flawless so to me it's a ballad but like a lot of you've said is more complex than that. I really love the song and to me it's the perfect closer for an epic show ;)

kleman 08-11-2011 08:47 PM

For me it is the best ballad. I agree with Seb!