Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Phil X Guitar Tone (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70245)

richiefan95 12-13-2018 09:44 AM

Phil X was a great replacement to jump in but i wonder why Jon didn't look for a guy who has a similar style to Richie or is at least able to play like him.
5 years are gone since 2013 and he isn't even trying to get to a talkbox sound that is close to Richie's. He is miles off. I am sure he is an extremely good technical player but from the playing side Phil X and Richie have nothing in common.
I know that Phil X will be there forever but in 2014 Jon could have looked for a permanent replacement who has a similar style and sound to Richie.
Also the vocals from Phil X don't suit Bon Jovi (except for Prayer maybe).

bonjovi90 12-13-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1249479)
Phil X was a great replacement to jump in but i wonder why Jon didn't look for a guy who has a similar style to Richie or is at least able to play like him.
5 years are gone since 2013 and he isn't even trying to get to a talkbox sound that is close to Richie's. He is miles off. I am sure he is an extremely good technical player but from the playing side Phil X and Richie have nothing in common.
I know that Phil X will be there forever but in 2014 Jon could have looked for a permanent replacement who has a similar style and sound to Richie.
Also the vocals from Phil X don't suit Bon Jovi (except for Prayer maybe).

Very much agreed! He is a very gifted player in his own right, but his sound simply doesn't fit Bon Jovi.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

richiefan95 12-27-2018 08:08 PM

I just listened to the Prayer Version of Brisbane. The intro from Phil X at 1:30 is absolutely horrible. I never heard such a bad intro to Prayer. Every cover band gets an better intro together. I am shocked how bad Phil X sounds. He needs to improve massively. I don't understand why a professional studio musician is not able to copy richie's intro and get a talkbox sound that is close to Richie.

liljovi93 12-27-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1249832)
I just listened to the Prayer Version of Brisbane. The intro from Phil X at 1:30 is absolutely horrible. I never heard such a bad intro to Prayer. Every cover band gets an better intro together. I am shocked how bad Phil X sounds. He needs to improve massively. I don't understand why a professional studio musician is not able to copy richie's intro and get a talkbox sound that is close to Richie.

Yeah, that does sound bad.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

james_d 12-27-2018 11:42 PM

I honestly think he just got it wrong as opposed to trying to get it to actually sound like that.

liljovi93 12-27-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1249835)
I honestly think he just got it wrong as opposed to trying to get it to actually sound like that.

I've always thought he sounds quite bad on it. That was worse than usual, though.

Supersonic 12-29-2018 08:14 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1249835)

No, he's deliberately doing it like that. It sounds very different but it's not a mistake. I don't think it sounds bad, it just doesn't fit very well. It's these things that make clear Phil X just doesn't fit Bon Jovi. The predictability of Richie is still better than Phil X's improvs.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

YOVANAfromPeru 01-19-2019 10:31 PM

https://twitter.com/TheRealPhilX/sta...36293826564096

Pretty close??
"hahahahahahaha."

Thinny 01-20-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1250200)

Note wise, he is pretty close. You can tell that he has listened a lot to the way Richie played them live. However, what a player like Phil can't grasp is how to get the same level of emotion out of his playing. Phil is more of a technical guy, while Richie's playing comes from a blues influence...

liljovi93 01-20-2019 12:06 PM

As nice as it is that Phil X does these Q&A's, he answers the same people every single time. He answers about 4 questions from a guy called Jerry every single time. Half the time, his questions are shit.