Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Phil X Guitar Tone (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70245)

YOVANAfromPeru 02-28-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251234)

I mean I like the sound of the instrument, but I would like the plucking of the last notes of every line more defined in Wanted, and that Blaze needs a lot more than that to sound good to my ears... -_-

YOVANAfromPeru 03-19-2019 12:54 AM

Phil X on writing lyrics for JBJ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQM...youtu.be&t=224

DestinationJovi 03-19-2019 01:06 AM

Phil X is literally playing with Bon Jovi just for the paycheck.

steel_horse75 03-19-2019 08:42 AM

Jon wants Phil cos he looks the part but until now hasn’t allowed him to express himself . 4 piss poor 5 second solos on the last album is a total waste.
I was hoping for long solos and good riffs last time but got nothing.
Hopefully it’s better this time but doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackieBlue 03-19-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1251811)
Jon wants Phil cos he looks the part but until now hasn’t allowed him to express himself . 4 piss poor 5 second solos on the last album is a total waste.
I was hoping for long solos and good riffs last time but got nothing.
Hopefully it’s better this time but doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first 2-1/2 minutes of this video makes Jon's motive for hiring Phil-X crystal clear. Everyone knows Jon never got over that first Rolling Stone interview. He obviously hired Phil so he can finally turn the "amazing hair" interviews over to someone else. :D

YOVANAfromPeru 03-20-2019 07:04 PM

When JBJ wanted to replace Phil X... Lol

Interviewer: Speaking of lead guitar, I've been told you auditioned a few years back to become Bon Jovi's lead guitarist and were very close to getting that gig. Is that true?

Damon Johnson: Well. let’s just say that I did have a jam with those guys. There was a minute, about four years ago they weren’t really sure what they were going to do - (guitarist Richie) Sambora was out, he was back in, then he was back out, they did a run of dates without him. And so, Jon (Bon Jovi, singer) and I have a mutual friend and that mutual friend mentioned me to him and Jon was in Nashville, we had a meeting, it was a good hang and he was like, “Yeah. Here’s a list of,” I think, “five songs,” all the ones you would think. And so, I went up and had a jam. And it was awesome.

Interviewer: Those are good songs.

Damon Johnson: Great songs. And certainly, one of the most surreal things I've ever experienced, you know standing close enough to (Bon Jovi drummer) Tico Torres' hi-hat that I could like thump it with my right hand. That's where I stood. Everyone was on headphones, it was that kind of thing. I had a blast playing those songs. I can't hit those vocal notes man that Sambora hits. I'm not ashamed to admit that. Some of those biggest hits, like "Livin' on a Prayer," Jon is singing way out of his range well then Sambora was singing a harmony on top of that. I can play all if that guitar stuff, easy. But Richie is a special talent.
So, what they ended up doing was they kept working with Phil X, who is an incredible guitar player and singer and they also added my old friend John Shanks, who has produced the last two or three records for the band, and so they simply added John as a second guitar player. And they're carrying on. But yeah, that's another story for the great grandkids one day.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/03/did-...-bon-jovi.html

Javier 03-20-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1251827)
When JBJ wanted to replace Phil X... Lol

Interviewer: Speaking of lead guitar, I've been told you auditioned a few years back to become Bon Jovi's lead guitarist and were very close to getting that gig. Is that true?

Damon Johnson: Well. let’s just say that I did have a jam with those guys. There was a minute, about four years ago they weren’t really sure what they were going to do - (guitarist Richie) Sambora was out, he was back in, then he was back out, they did a run of dates without him. And so, Jon (Bon Jovi, singer) and I have a mutual friend and that mutual friend mentioned me to him and Jon was in Nashville, we had a meeting, it was a good hang and he was like, “Yeah. Here’s a list of,” I think, “five songs,” all the ones you would think. And so, I went up and had a jam. And it was awesome.

Interviewer: Those are good songs.

Damon Johnson: Great songs. And certainly, one of the most surreal things I've ever experienced, you know standing close enough to (Bon Jovi drummer) Tico Torres' hi-hat that I could like thump it with my right hand. That's where I stood. Everyone was on headphones, it was that kind of thing. I had a blast playing those songs. I can't hit those vocal notes man that Sambora hits. I'm not ashamed to admit that. Some of those biggest hits, like "Livin' on a Prayer," Jon is singing way out of his range well then Sambora was singing a harmony on top of that. I can play all if that guitar stuff, easy. But Richie is a special talent.
So, what they ended up doing was they kept working with Phil X, who is an incredible guitar player and singer and they also added my old friend John Shanks, who has produced the last two or three records for the band, and so they simply added John as a second guitar player. And they're carrying on. But yeah, that's another story for the great grandkids one day.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/03/did-...-bon-jovi.html

If it was 4 years ago it would have been after Bobby didn't come back and Matt O'ree played those dates with them in Asia...

Captain_jovi 03-20-2019 09:04 PM

He also said Shanks has produced 2 or 3 albums. Not knocking the guy but his timelines are all over the place. For Richie to be out, in and out again, is that referring to 2011 and the eventual departure of 2013 or was Richie almost back in? His wording seems to sound like Richie almost came back or was briefly back in around 2015.

bonjovi90 03-20-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1251829)
He also said Shanks has produced 2 or 3 albums. Not knocking the guy but his timelines are all over the place. For Richie to be out, in and out again, is that referring to 2011 and the eventual departure of 2013 or was Richie almost back in? His wording seems to sound like Richie almost came back or was briefly back in around 2015.

His timeline is accurate for anyone not being a diehard fan like us. Richie out means in this context probably Richie not playing with the band and in this context, it's correct. He was gone for a leg in 2011, came back the same year and was there in early 2013 before being out again.
And for someone not following the band, he knew that Shanks had worked with Bon Jovi on a couple of albums. I couldn't tell who produced how many albums of other bands I like to listen to, but am not a diehard fan of.

Captain_jovi 03-20-2019 10:59 PM

I mean that's fair but...4 years ago = 2015 which ties in EXACTLY to "So, what they ended up doing was they kept working with Phil X, who is an incredible guitar player and singer and they also added my old friend John Shanks, who has produced the last two or three records for the band, and so they simply added John as a second guitar player." Wasn't 2015 when Shanks officially started playing with them live? 2015/2016-ish? Plus he says "they KEPT working with Phil X" implying he was already in the fold at that point.

If he's talking about the run of dates they did in 2013 without Richie that would make me think this took place right after the WAN tour if he brought up Phil X coming back and that wrapped up end of 2013 so we'd be talking 5ish years.