Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi: A POP band??!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=8275)

Mongoose 03-16-2003 01:53 AM

Quote:

think people (including myself) don't like the fact that Bon Jovi are 'sometimes' classed as POP, because POP is always going to be linked to rubbish like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys... etc.
I dont like it,

but an album like Crush (spare a few songs) isnt Bon Jovi, neither is Bounce

Mike McRock 03-16-2003 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky
POP = "popular" and since Bon Jovi is pushing 100 million, that makes them a POP band.

Becky

YEs this would be the litteral meaning of it. But POP has come to represent it's own type of music, as people were saying, the boy bands, largely comercial bands.....
If the Spice Girls aren't a pop band, then what type of band are they????

In the UK and the States, there's a competition called "POP Idol". This isn't because they predict they will be popular, it's because of the type of music they are there to create.....

As for the negative views overshaddowing the possitive ones.... rubish. THe idea of a discussion is that everybody chips in, and controbutes. If it's only the people with negative views that are controbuting it's because the people with negative views have stronger opinions, and know why they are critisising. If you don't like this, you have to argue on the points raised, not just whine about people slagging off the band. I know that things aren't that black and white. I've probably been labbled by a lot of the people on this board as negative, I'm not, I just know what I like, and if I don't get it, I'm going to make my point heard. People are too dismissive, they don't really read what I say, and then just slag it off because it's negative, as opposed to trying to argue against the points I'm making. Sorry to keep bringing this up, but it just gets me mad when discussion, and airing opinions is seen as something bad.

DevilsSon 03-16-2003 03:50 PM

yeah,POP with destortioned guitars . That's what the EVERYDAY's are.

What about songs like JOEY or RIGHT SIDE OF WRONG? They don't have guitars but they are in my opinion more rock than Hook Me Up or Bounce.

BOUNCE and CRUSHED suck. Disappointment.crap.

However ,POP isn't the same with POPULAR. POP is a term that means something like an EXPLOSION(like POPcorn).

And JOVI never concidered them a POP ROCK act. They always said they are a ROCK N' ROLL band.

Captain Walrus 03-16-2003 03:55 PM

So maybe Crush and Bounce aren't the same old Jovi rock. But they're not pop either. You want pop with guitars, look at Busted or summat :roll:

Keep On Rockin'

Mr Bluesman 03-16-2003 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus
You want pop with guitars, look at Busted or summat :roll:

Keep On Rockin'

No thanks, I'd rather not! :? :mad:

eriK 03-16-2003 05:59 PM

Could somebody please explain for me what rock is? we are always talking about pop, but what the **** is rock?
if rock ain't hard riffs, guitar solos and a screaming singer what is rock? what makes bounce a pop album? just because they uses drummachines? or perhaps because they used the line spread this wings and fly (which is used by at least 10 bands around the world!)?

And by the way Mongoose if bon jovi makes two albums like crush and bounce, doesn't it mean that these albums sounds like bon jovi? they have made 1 album that is like these days, which makes that album a minority!
some of the songs from bon jovis two latest album are good and some of them sucks! but that doesn't mean that crush and bounce aren't bon jovi!

Mongoose 03-16-2003 06:03 PM

Quote:

doesn't it mean that these albums sounds like bon jovi?
nope, it means they sound like that fag Luke Ebbin

XRds1Bnce16 03-16-2003 06:28 PM

I must digress, Bon Jovi is not pop. Bounce, and not even Crush were pop. Simply the presence of sound effects do not make a band a pop band. I think the main disagreement here is that if pop bands have sound effects, rock bands cannot.

But there are numerous things the pop bands don't have that rock bands do that set the two apart. Guitar riffs, meaningful lyrics, power ballads, guitar solos, etc. While Bon Jovi still persists with such things, pop bands lack them, setting the two apart. So, even though both Bon Jovi and pop bands use sound effects, it doesn't mean they are of a like genre.

And, yes, while Crush came out in an era when pop was at its prime, the album didn't need to be pop to make it big. It's My Life, though it contained a lot of sound effects, was not a pop song. The primary sound in it was the talkbox, but it was not a stranger to Bon Jovi. Is not Livin' On a Prayer a rock song? How about All I Want is Everything? The next single off Crush was Say It Isn't So. While there were no sound effects, Jon distorts his voice during the first verse. But did he not also do this in reveared rock songs like Save a Prayer? And then there was Thank You For Loving Me. This song was no different from any previos rock ballads. Definately not pop. And so goes the rest of the album.

Then there's Bounce. Bounce seems to aim to appeal to fans of bands like Creed, Weezer, etc., and of course, prior Bon Jovi fans. But are any of these three bands ever considered pop? No. The first single, Everyday, like It's My Life, had quite a few sound effects, but had some of the heaviest guitar work BJ's ever seen. The lyrics, though in the fashion of It's My Life Part 2, were meaningful enough and far more creative than anything a pop band could spawn. Misunderstood contained some "punkier" (if that's even a word) guitars, and while contained themes such as numerous other pop songs, still had the rock edge. And then there's All About Loving You. Again, like Thank You For Loving Me, this is just another Bon Jovi slow rock ballad. And what about other songs like Undivided and Joey? Never for a moment could they be considered pop.

So, in conclusion, Bon Jovi, though we may confuse genres and their limits sometimes, is not a pop band in the least. It makes no nevermind that some pop fans like Bon Jovi. That doesn't make them a pop band. Bon Jovi is a rock band.

Mongoose 03-16-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

The primary sound in it was the talkbox
I disagree, it was the drum loops. Plus the sound on the album wasnt from a talkbox, it was from an effects machine that sounded like a talkbox

Mike McRock 03-16-2003 07:33 PM

no let me rephrase that for you....

"So, in MY conclusion, Bon Jovi, though I may confuse genres and their limits sometimes, is not a pop band in the least."

Joey is pop through and thew, and it makes me cringe,

ROck bands wear their owl cloths, as opposed to dressing and smilling for the camra's as Jovi have been doing recently.

Bon Jovi haven't written a 'power' ballad since I'll Be There For You, and the ballads on Crush/Bounce were weaker than in the past, and were just cheep rip off's of ballad's they've written in the past.

As for the riffs, there are very few on either bounce or crush. It's My Life isn't really a riff, nor is Everyday, Bounce.... at least not in the way the band did riffs on other albums, If I was your mother, Homebody Train, Bad Name e,t,c.... There guitar solo's on Bounce and Crush are few and far between. They're more guitar breaks that proper solo's, and some tracks don't even seem to have these (e.g, I'm listening to Bounce now, the guitar solo is litterally about 10 secs and is just a chord!). Although Bon Jovi have never been a long guitar solo band, they still wrote solo's at least three times as long, they were important in the song, now they just seem to do them to follow a format, whilst not really thinking about the solo too much.

Moog synth, Talk box..... not gay effects. Drum loops, sampled sounds...gay effects.
Quote:

Bounce seems to aim to appeal to fans of bands like Creed
Shouldn't they be aiming their albums at Bon Jovi fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!