Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi: A POP band??!! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=8275)

RS8MB0R8 03-15-2003 06:13 PM

Bon Jovi: A POP band??!!

http://www.capital-eye.ru/catalogue/...lang=en&page=5

Paste this into your browser and scroll to the bottom article. Honestly its enough to make you sick - Bon Jovi a POP band! :mad:

Mongoose 03-15-2003 06:17 PM

well

with songs like everyday and bounce what do people expect?

Keba 03-15-2003 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose
well

with songs like everyday and bounce what do people expect?

I don't consider those songs pop. Only the Grammy people do.

BJfan4ever 03-15-2003 06:20 PM

who cares if people say that BJ is a pop or rock band...

Mongoose 03-15-2003 06:25 PM

aaaaaah come on, drum loops, gay effects, no meaning to the words

p o p (albeit better pop than there is out there at the moment but they still arent rock songs like in the olden days)

Keba 03-15-2003 06:28 PM

Quote:

You mean "gay" as in happy, right? :?

Sambo-Chris 03-15-2003 06:41 PM

Pop means popular music. And BJ make popular music, don't they.

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 06:41 PM

Pop, rock, country, metal. Who cares? I hate labels and restrictions. Good music is good music. Bad music is bad music. Uninspired music is uninspired music.

To me, Bon Jovi is good music.

{_Warrior_} 03-15-2003 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa_Fe
Pop, rock, country, metal. Who cares? I hate labels and restrictions. Good music is good music. Bad music is bad music. Uninspired music is uninspired music.

To me, Bon Jovi is good music.

Bon Jovi is excellent music, but Bounce is not that good music

eriK 03-15-2003 06:48 PM

Bon jovi is not pop music! Living on a prayer has no hard riffs, no big solo and so on. so what makes that song a rock song? I don't know, but it's not all that diffrent from for exampel Bounce or Everyday. the lyrics are better but thats just the only thing I can come up with that makes this song a rock song, if that makes a song a rock song, wich I don’t belive, many pop artist has done some great songs with great lyrics for example Earth song (michel jackson), i'm not sure thats the name of the song!

Mongoose 03-15-2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

And BJ make popular music, don't they.

if you go on album sales in the last 5 years, ticket sales, singles posistions etc

then no they dont

Mike McRock 03-15-2003 07:01 PM

Quote:

p o p (albeit better pop than there is out there at the moment but they still arent rock songs like in the olden days)

I agree 100%....

Bon Jovi now are pop. Just because they make an album on a guitar destortion setting, doesn't make it a rock album. Something like Huck me up is not rock, it's just pop played heavy...... Would Donny Osmand's Puppy Love be rock if it was played on a distrorted guitar????? Methinks not!

It's difficult to say. I'd say their not a pop band, on the basis that they still perform rock songs, and could still write rock songs. However, the last two albums have been pop albums, and I'd say another one like those would put them rock solid into the pop section :(

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {_Warrior_}

Speak for yourself. I personally enjoy Bounce very much.

Mike McRock 03-15-2003 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He's speaking for about half the people who use this board! (including me)

Mongoose 03-15-2003 07:14 PM

and no

I meant gay as in homosexual :]

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Quote:

Quote:

He's speaking for about half the people who use this board! (including me)

Cool. The other half apparently enjoys Bounce. But as always unsatisfied people are the most vocal ones.

BJfan4ever 03-15-2003 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

me too. It's not the best album, but i think that it is a good album.

{_Warrior_} 03-15-2003 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I speak

Keba 03-15-2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

and no

I meant gay as in homosexual :]

How can effects be homosexual? And why is homosexuality so bad in the first place?

Mongoose 03-15-2003 07:43 PM

just one of those words, like Bad - it can have a totally different meaning etc

didnt say there was anything wrong with being gay, just the effects on bounce are gay

SpainSambora 03-15-2003 07:43 PM

I think Bon Jovi makes sometimes Pop songs, but the trajectory of Bon Jovi say us that they are a rock band, and if you see the concerts, Bon Jovi still rocks.
And for me Bounce isnīt the best album, but itīs a decent album. For example, Hook me up is a very good rock song, and when Bon Jovi perform "The distance" in concerts, itīs very cool.

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 07:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I speak

Yes, you do. I'm sorry Warrior I was kind of rude to you.
I am just really really sick of all that negativism that seems to thrive on the board.

Mongoose 03-15-2003 08:08 PM

everyone is allowed to have an opinion, on this board you get more of a one that on other boards.

There would be just as much "negativity" if they werent policed like a ghetto in nazi germany

Stranger 03-15-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris
Pop means popular music. And BJ make popular music, don't they.

Sorry but what you mean is "commercial"!

the term pop-music is describing an own style of music which develops out of disco in the 80ies. I mean with which term would you describe acts like the Backstreet boys,Gereth Gates, No angles, Avril lavigne, Britney Spears, Cristiana Aguileira.....unfortunately I could go on :D .

I agree with you when you change your sentence and say BJ is a commercial band, because every artist with a record deal is an commercial artist.

RS8MB0R8 03-15-2003 08:45 PM

I just think its harsh that they should be put into the same category as Robbie Williams or Britney on the basis of their last 2 albums. OK, Crush was POP-py (Bounce wasn't as bad) but come on, look at their other albums - they aren't pop, they're rock surely.

Becky 03-15-2003 10:30 PM

POP = "popular" and since Bon Jovi is pushing 100 million, that makes them a POP band.

Becky

{_Warrior_} 03-15-2003 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I speak

Yes, you do. I'm sorry Warrior I was kind of rude to you.
I am just really really sick of all that negativism that seems to thrive on the board.

Donīt worry :D
Like goose said, itīs good to show our opinions to the other members.
Itīs sad, but this is "my true", for Me, Bon jovi did a good job, but not a great one in Bounce

Mr Bluesman 03-15-2003 11:08 PM

I think people (including myself) don't like the fact that Bon Jovi are 'sometimes' classed as POP, because POP is always going to be linked to rubbish like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys... etc.
Pop music is commercial music, and at the end of the day Bon Jovi are a commercial rock group like all other groups that have made it in the charts. Don't forget the sort of groups that have made the charts; Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses - you don't always link these sort of groups with pop but they are as much pop as Bon Jovi. It's just that Bon Jovi are REALLY popular, so they get called POP more than the other rockers. :P

Captain Walrus 03-15-2003 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McRock
Quote:

I agree 100%....

Bon Jovi now are pop. Just because they make an album on a guitar destortion setting, doesn't make it a rock album. Something like Huck me up is not rock, it's just pop played heavy...... Would Donny Osmand's Puppy Love be rock if it was played on a distrorted guitar????? Methinks not!

It's difficult to say. I'd say their not a pop band, on the basis that they still perform rock songs, and could still write rock songs. However, the last two albums have been pop albums, and I'd say another one like those would put them rock solid into the pop section :(

I've never heard of anyone use the term 'Heavy Pop' before now. Just doesn't seem to work :roll:

Keep On Rockin'

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 11:20 PM

Heavy Pop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or like hard pop :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Bluesman 03-15-2003 11:28 PM

Quote:

Well, I was once watching this TV show, it was just about rock music or something like that, and on came the lead singer and guitarist from the group Feeder, and he said that his group played 'Heavy pop'... and thats from a pro! :)

Dawn 03-15-2003 11:36 PM

BJ are a pop rock band this is what they class themselves as in interviews, and why not, at least its better than the new metal stuff, like linkin park. I heard them today and they cant even sing.

pop rock has a new tone to it and it isnt the same as the BJ early days :(

Dawn

Santa_Fe 03-15-2003 11:48 PM

I like some Linkin Park material. I have their Hybrid Theory and it's a very good record. I'm planning on buying their second album in the near future. They got good lyrics and melodies. But it's specific.

I am really curious what they are gonna do in the future and for how long they'll be able to stay in the public eye since their slyle is so specific and is difficult to develop.

Captain Walrus 03-16-2003 12:07 AM

Quote:

I like some Linkin Park material. I have their Hybrid Theory and it's a very good record. I'm planning on buying their second album in the near future. They got good lyrics and melodies. But it's specific.

I am really curious what they are gonna do in the future and for how long they'll be able to stay in the public eye since their slyle is so specific and is difficult to develop.

How come you haven't replied to my post over in the Other Bands section then eh? :? :D Yeah, I like em too, and I'm gonna get Meteora soon

Keep On Rockin'

Santa_Fe 03-16-2003 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus
Quote:

How come you haven't replied to my post over in the Other Bands section then eh? :? :D Yeah, I like em too, and I'm gonna get Meteora soon

Keep On Rockin'

I missed that post. I didn't have much time to post lately. Was very busy at work. But now I have more free time. Our college is on a break!

So what do you think of their new single?

Captain Walrus 03-16-2003 12:22 AM

Lets take it over here, shall we, before we get arrested by the 'off topic' police :D

http://www.bonjovicentral.com/jovita...pic.php?t=8545

Keep On Rockin'

Santa_Fe 03-16-2003 12:25 AM

I cannot open that link.

Captain Walrus 03-16-2003 12:26 AM

Are you a part of the Other Bands forum? If not, go to Usergroups, and you should be able to find your way in

Keep On Rockin'

Santa_Fe 03-16-2003 12:28 AM

Thanx.

SpainSambora 03-16-2003 12:37 AM

Quote:

Soft rock? :D