Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alec fans! (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70721)

FighterBJ 06-27-2020 06:04 PM

Alec fans!

I want to know how many Alec addicts are there :D In this thread we can discuss stuff about Alec's life in and out of BJ. Share your photos and stories related to him, I would love to read/see some. Now let's see how many true Alec fans are there! :mrgreen:

bonjovi90 06-27-2020 10:10 PM

He was essential for the band's rock star image in the band, but I felt he had a hard time keeping up with the rest both musically and physically when they regrouped for KTF.
Hard to judge his character, I think he was a bit of an odd ball. In terms of their live sound being tight and spot on, I prefer Hugh. Logically, Hugh's playing is closer to the album versions :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

FighterBJ 06-27-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1264964)
He was essential for the band's rock star image in the band, but I felt he had a hard time keeping up with the rest both musically and physically when they regrouped for KTF.
Hard to judge his character, I think he was a bit of an odd ball. In terms of their live sound being tight and spot on, I prefer Hugh. Logically, Hugh's playing is closer to the album versions :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yeah Hugh played on all albums except Fahrenheit. I still prefer Alec because he had amazing charisma and I just love and idolize him. Sadly he was a heavy drinker and the rumor says that is why he was fired, but the truth is he stopped drinking short after the regroup, he just didn't rehearse that much and made mistakes constantly. Also Jon didn't like him. He banned him from doing interviews or speaking much at press conferences. "Nobody cares about you Alec" Jon stated. He never told him he was the one who secretly banning him. This was from NJ era that is why you can see some Al interviews from SWW and before. He got enough of BJ in 1993, he was planning to quit from the band anyways before he was fired, so he still wouldn't be in the band even if he wasn't fired.

Kathleen 06-28-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1264964)

As a musician my self, Hugh is the only bassist that I think of. I don't care about his character - his playing, to this day, is spot on.

And his intro to KTF is sublime.

FighterBJ 06-28-2020 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1264967)
As a musician my self, Hugh is the only bassist that I think of. I don't care about his character - his playing, to this day, is spot on.

And his intro to KTF is sublime.

Yes he plays good. I appreciate his bass playing, he never did a mistake. Still Al is my fav, he is just amazing.

SadieLady 06-28-2020 03:09 AM

I seem to recall that he had a lovely voice and I missed it when he first left. He also had a stage charisma that rivaled Jon's (if I remember correctly--it has been too long and I don't want to look at clips).

YOVANAfromPeru 06-28-2020 04:34 AM

Alec's voice is priceless. -_-

FighterBJ 06-28-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOVANAfromPeru (Post 1264971)
Alec's voice is priceless. -_-

Yes it is. Happy Alec's high voice and Drunk Alec's low voice. Both is amazing.

FighterBJ 06-28-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieLady (Post 1264969)
I seem to recall that he had a lovely voice and I missed it when he first left. He also had a stage charisma that rivaled Jon's (if I remember correctly--it has been too long and I don't want to look at clips).

On the clips he was cool but at concerts he was amazing! Jon's charisma was nothing compared to his imo. He also had a very good voice but he was nearly muted on almost all shows. I love his high voice, its funny but good for the band's performance.:)

eddie73 06-30-2020 11:14 AM

Alec has always been the " rock star "and my favourite member of the band, he lived the life style to the max, brilliant stage presence , fantastic backing vocals, he could hit those notes Pavarotti would be proud of !

I had the pleasure of meeting him in Leicester on the slippery tour when I was 13.... he was walking around the grounds of the demont fort hall smoking a joint although I had no idea at the time what it was, such a nice humble, funny, bloke.

Bring him back even just for his stage presence like at RHOF . I never heard him hit a bum note live and I saw him at least 15 times with the band , contrary to what has been said of him ( although was the rumour that Hugh played Alecs parts back stage , not sure if anything in that though )

FighterBJ 06-30-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1265021)
Alec has always been the " rock star "and my favourite member of the band, he lived the life style to the max, brilliant stage presence , fantastic backing vocals, he could hit those notes Pavarotti would be proud of !

I had the pleasure of meeting him in Leicester on the slippery tour when I was 13.... he was walking around the grounds of the demont fort hall smoking a joint although I had no idea at the time what it was, such a nice humble, funny, bloke.

Bring him back even just for his stage presence like at RHOF . I never heard him hit a bum note live and I saw him at least 15 times with the band , contrary to what has been said of him ( although was the rumour that Hugh played Alecs parts back stage , not sure if anything in that though )

When Alec was drunk he made mistakes and it was clear that he played drunk so the Hugh rumor is false. He was really a rocker, fantastic person!

Captain_jovi 06-30-2020 06:10 PM

No way in hell Hugh was playing Alec's parts backstage, their playing styles is pretty different. That'd be a tough thing to coordinate and make look real. Plus with the amount of bootlegs out there we'd know by now.

bonjovi90 06-30-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265032)
No way in hell Hugh was playing Alec's parts backstage, their playing styles is pretty different. That'd be a tough thing to coordinate and make look real. Plus with the amount of bootlegs out there we'd know by now.

It'd enough listening to KTF in 1993 to realize it was Alec playing it and not Hugh.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Supersonic 06-30-2020 07:18 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265033)
It'd enough listening to KTF in 1993 to realize it was Alec playing it and not Hugh.

Exactly. He skips so many notes in the intros and got sloppier as the tour went on. Although I think he ultimately was fired for speaking his mind in the press and making Jon look bad I do think him being not as good as Hugh was something that played a part as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

FighterBJ 06-30-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1265034)
Aloha !

Exactly. He skips so many notes in the intros and got sloppier as the tour went on. Although I think he ultimately was fired for speaking his mind in the press and making Jon look bad I do think him being not as good as Hugh was something that played a part as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

He surely made mistakes but sometimes he intentionally made parts different. He actually never said anything bad about Jon before he was fired, after he did. Actually Jon banned him from doing interviews in 1988 stating no one wants to talk to him, Al only found out later that he was banned from speaking to press or to participicate in serious interviews. BTW this is the reason why I dislike Jon so much. Alec became sloppy because he didn't rehearse a lot but he was kind of ignored by crew members and didn't get the equipment he wanted for shows. But that doesn't change the fact that he made mistakes and was many times out of tempo, I must agree with his firing even though he is ultimately my favourite :C

FighterBJ 06-30-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265033)

Or basically any early-1990 show, he was drunk in most of them, at Chile 1990 I also heard he fell on the stage many times but it was not showed.

FighterBJ 06-30-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265032)

Yeah it is a rumor made up years ago, I actually saw it first on this board but the thread is very old and I can't find it, I only found it through Google Search

FighterBJ 06-30-2020 10:39 PM

Don't get confused guys I am not here to roast Jon and defend Alec, he surely did mess up very badly and I agree with his departure, he needed to be let go, the band just couldn't go on with his mistakes. Jon once said they couldn't sacrifice the live sounding just to keep him and I totally agree with that fact

bonjovi90 07-01-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FighterBJ (Post 1265036)
He surely made mistakes but sometimes he intentionally made parts different. He actually never said anything bad about Jon before he was fired, after he did. Actually Jon banned him from doing interviews in 1988 stating no one wants to talk to him, Al only found out later that he was banned from speaking to press or to participicate in serious interviews. BTW this is the reason why I dislike Jon so much. Alec became sloppy because he didn't rehearse a lot but he was kind of ignored by crew members and didn't get the equipment he wanted for shows. But that doesn't change the fact that he made mistakes and was many times out of tempo, I must agree with his firing even though he is ultimately my favourite :C

That's not really true, Alec was banned from doing intervies, yes, but that was in 1993 when the tracks already started to show significantly. Alec was too lazy to do more press in the 80's and admitted so in the KTF era by saying that he now was ready to do more. By then, he wasn't allowed to anymore due to Jon allegedly telling him no one was interested in talking to him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FighterBJ (Post 1265037)
Or basically any early-1990 show, he was drunk in most of them, at Chile 1990 I also heard he fell on the stage many times but it was not showed.

That was in Rio 1990, the first slip was to be seen on a news segment. It's been incorporated here:

YOVANAfromPeru 07-01-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265041)

Funny Jon's reaction >_< jaja

FighterBJ 07-01-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265041)
That's not really true, Alec was banned from doing intervies, yes, but that was in 1993 when the tracks already started to show significantly. Alec was too lazy to do more press in the 80's and admitted so in the KTF era by saying that he now was ready to do more. By then, he wasn't allowed to anymore due to Jon allegedly telling him no one was interested in talking to him.

That was in Rio 1990, the first slip was to be seen on a news segment. It's been incorporated here:
YouTube

Huuh, thanks for that, I didn't laugh that much in a long time :,D

bobby_from_finland 07-07-2020 04:35 PM

During the SWW era in an i nterview Alec and Tico were reffered as the "most experienced musicians in the band." Alec was the second after David who Jon called. To be honest, if it wasn't for Alec, there wouldn't be Bon Jovi as we know it, he made Tico and Richie join the band. Alec had played with both Richie and Tico before Jon called him up, so they would have known that he "sucked". He only started sucking after his motor cycle accident in early 90s.

Captain_jovi 07-07-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby_from_finland (Post 1265175)
During the SWW era in an i nterview Alec and Tico were reffered as the "most experienced musicians in the band." Alec was the second after David who Jon called. To be honest, if it wasn't for Alec, there wouldn't be Bon Jovi as we know it, he made Tico and Richie join the band. Alec had played with both Richie and Tico before Jon called him up, so they would have known that he "sucked". He only started sucking after his motor cycle accident in early 90s.

But that would't account for why his bass tracks were replaced in the 80's though.

bonjovi90 07-07-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265176)
But that would't account for why his bass tracks were replaced in the 80's though.

I think Alec was, in his prime, an excellent live musician, but that doesn't necessarily mean his strengths were coming up with own ideas in the studio. In the 80's, I think that was the main issue. IIRC, he was mostly known for his gig in Phantoms Opera, an excellent Queen cover band.

FighterBJ 07-07-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265177)
I think Alec was, in his prime, an excellent live musician, but that doesn't necessarily mean his strengths were coming up with own ideas in the studio. In the 80's, I think that was the main issue. IIRC, he was mostly known for his gig in Phantoms Opera, an excellent Queen cover band.

He played on Fahrenheit, wasn't too creative, never played on albums again. Not exactly a shame because Hugh wrote much better bass lines.

bobby_from_finland 07-13-2020 08:55 AM

Richie was interviewed for Rolling Stone before the RRHOF induction. He didn't say it straight but he made it understood that he missed Alec.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...th-jon-129365/

FighterBJ 07-13-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby_from_finland (Post 1265514)
Richie was interviewed for Rolling Stone before the RRHOF induction. He didn't say it straight but he made it understood that he missed Alec.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...th-jon-129365/

I read that article. Very interesting, thank you for sharing!:-D