Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BJ slating on CDUK (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=19031)

Yvonne 11-08-2003 10:39 PM

BJ slating on CDUK

I was watching CDUK this afternoon and they do a bit called "hotshots" which is basically showing forthcoming releases, Wanted was on and was reviewed by 3 members of the music scene and each of them slated it. They said "whats the point in covering one of your own songs and making it worse?" "If you cover your own song then you should make it better than the original"
2 out of the 3 said they preferred Wanted the original and that this was just crap.

Thomas Anderson 11-08-2003 10:44 PM

That's everyones biggest problem...they're comparing the new versions to the old ones too much. Of course they're not the same, and you don't like the new ones as much because you've heard the original so many times that it's had to hear it any other way.

...but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.

jess 11-08-2003 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
...but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.

I'm sure they wish everyone thinks this way ... But they did something so strong with the original versions, it's hard to "forget" them, even for just a few minutes.

Thomas Anderson 11-08-2003 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess
Quote:

I'm sure they wish everyone thinks this way ... But they did something so strong with the original versions, it's hard to "forget" them, even for just a few minutes.

No-one bothers about standard acoustic versions, and basically that's all most of these songs are.

Thomas Anderson 11-08-2003 11:01 PM

Re: BJ slating on CDUK

By the way, did they actually show the whole video, or just clips of it?

(I haven't seen it yet, so might watch it later tonight if it's repeated.)

Neurotica80 11-08-2003 11:03 PM

Quote:

That's everyones biggest problem...they're comparing the new versions to the old ones too much. Of course they're not the same, and you don't like the new ones as much because you've heard the original so many times that it's had to hear it any other way.

Im pretty sure I wouldnt have liked this even if id never heard the original.

Yvonne 11-08-2003 11:36 PM

Just a clip was shown but long enough.

I've just remembered something else that was said, "they must have reached the stage where they now have to release old material and not put out any new material"

Santa_Fe 11-08-2003 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne
"they must have reached the stage where they now have to release old material and not put out any new material"

Smart as*es. What stage are they at?

Mousebounce 11-08-2003 11:44 PM

Quote:

but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.
If they were new songs, I think I would hate them even more. The thought of them wasting 23 precious days of their lives killing their old songs is bad enough.

davefan 11-08-2003 11:46 PM

well there are right the song is horrible. if I didn`t know the original I`d think bon jovi are a horrible band. and after all it`s nothing new that other musicians say bad things about BJ

Santa_Fe 11-09-2003 12:02 AM

I wouldn't call members of boybands and such musicians.

davefan 11-09-2003 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa_Fe

mabe right but on tlfr I wouldn't call bon jovi musicicans too

Santa_Fe 11-09-2003 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefan

There are other 10 Bon Jovi records. How can you suddenly stop calling someone a musician when you didn't like 1 or 2 records?

Sambo-Chris 11-09-2003 12:18 AM

The guys on CD:UK are totally right.

davefan 11-09-2003 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There are other 10 Bon Jovi records. How can you suddenly stop calling someone a musician when you didn't like 1 or 2 records?

they are musicians but on this cd they are just producers

Captain Walrus 11-09-2003 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, because they didn't actually write the songs... Oh, wait a second, they DID. But they didn't play their own instruments, right? Nope, once again, they DID

Keep On Rockin'

joviscout 11-09-2003 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please musically its one of the best things they have done. This is the first time i have seen my step dad appretiate there music and show some sort of intrest in it. Of course my little sister wanted crossroad one but shes a 18 year old who doesnt know how many seconds are in a minuet so ill tell her to come here as there are plenty like her who just dont get it. :roll:

RS8MB0R8 11-09-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

I've just remembered something else that was said, "they must have reached the stage where they now have to release old material and not put out any new material"
Its a bit soon to be saying that isn't it. Yeah ok, this new album is a re-worked load of songs from their other works but this is following the release of 'Bounce' and the HUGE tour they've just completed under the same name. Run out of ideas?!?!? What the f*** are they ranting on about?!? Bounce was completely new and inventive - it might not have been as good as some of their previous albums but NO-ONE can slate them for 'running out of ideas'!

JoviForever 11-09-2003 02:08 PM

Re: BJ slating on CDUK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I was watching CDUK this afternoon and they do a bit called "hotshots" which is basically showing forthcoming releases, Wanted was on and was reviewed by 3 members of the music scene and each of them slated it. They said "whats the point in covering one of your own songs and making it worse?" "If you cover your own song then you should make it better than the original"
2 out of the 3 said they preferred Wanted the original and that this was just crap.

I saw it, and i just laughed. The 3 'popstars' in question will be forgotten about in 18 months.
The idiot from Busted has slagged them off before, and Busted are possibly the worst thing to come out of the uk in the last year - a boy band trying to be a rock band, and failing miserably! :roll: The worst thing is, is that Busted are on the same label as Bon Jovi in the Uk. This dosen't mean i expect them to say they are brilliant and suck up to them. But you would at least think they would have some respect for a band that has been around for 20 years at the same record company and been so successful! :?

JoviForever 11-09-2003 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mousebounce
Quote:

but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.
If they were new songs, I think I would hate them even more. The thought of them wasting 23 precious days of their lives killing their old songs is bad enough.

Some of the people on this site ought to open their minds AND their ears to this new album.
I admit some of the new versions don't work, such as Bad Medicine and Bed of Roses which i don't like at all. But I think the new Wanted works really well along with It's My Life, Livin on a Prayer and several others. This album shows there is so much more to this Band than lung-bursting choruses and guitar solos.
To say they've wasted 23 days of their lives on it is a disgrace. What did you do with 23 days of your life in August/September, when they were working their butts of for our benefit? Probably absoloutley nothing if your anything like me!
OK, so you don't like the new versions, that's your perogative, but at least show them a bit of repsect for trying something different! :mad:

Mousebounce 11-09-2003 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever
Quote:

Quote:

Some of the people on this site ought to open their minds AND their ears to this new album.
I admit some of the new versions don't work, such as Bad Medicine and Bed of Roses which i don't like at all. But I think the new Wanted works really well along with It's My Life, Livin on a Prayer and several others. This album shows there is so much more to this Band than lung-bursting choruses and guitar solos.
To say they've wasted 23 days of their lives on it is a disgrace. What did you do with 23 days of your life in August/September, when they were working their butts of for our benefit? Probably absoloutley nothing if your anything like me!
OK, so you don't like the new versions, that's your perogative, but at least show them a bit of repsect for trying something different! :mad:

Look, they took the easy way out this time. I am not saying they do this all of the time, thank goodness, but this time they rushed to get something out and the results are poor in my opinion. The fact that they had only 23 days to do this shows.

As for them working their butts off for my benefit, they are the ones that cash in and reap the rewards, so I would have to say that it is to the benefit of the band to make a good album. This way they can continue to make a ton money and do a job that they love. I don't think that is a bad deal.

I have been a fan since Runaway, and sometimes I love what they do, sometimes I hate it. Such is life. :D

JoviForever 11-09-2003 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever
Quote:

Quote:

Look, they took the easy way out this time. I am not saying they do this all of the time, thank goodness, but this time they rushed to get something out and the results are poor in my opinion. The fact that they had only 23 days to do this shows.

As for them working their butts off for my benefit, they are the ones that cash in and reap the rewards, so I would have to say that it is to the benefit of the band to make a good album. This way they can continue to make a ton money and do a job that they love. I don't think that is a bad deal.

I have been a fan since Runaway, and sometimes I love what they do, sometimes I hate it. Such is life. :D

"They took the easy way out'! Are you having a laugh? If they were taking the easy way out, they could eaither have released these 12 songs in their original format and called it Crossroads Part 2. Or have done a straight down the middle acoustic album, which they could probably have done in their sleep.
As for making a ton of money, that's not going to happen, because they aren't promoting it to sell loads of copies.

Mousebounce 11-09-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

"They took the easy way out'! Are you having a laugh? If they were taking the easy way out, they could eaither have released these 12 songs in their original format and called it Crossroads Part 2. Or have done a straight down the middle acoustic album, which they could probably have done in their sleep.
As for making a ton of money, that's not going to happen, because they aren't promoting it to sell loads of copies.
Let me explain, their first intention was to release an acoustic CD. That didn't work out and they didn't want to release another Crossroads because they had been there, done that. So, they had to release something, and this was the easiest option.

You misunderstood my ton of money comment. I meant it towards your comment about them working their butts off for my benefit, when in fact it is for their own benefit too.

I know they won't make a ton of money off of this album as it was just something to do to fulfill a contract. I think the band knew this too, hence the fact they removed the two new songs. Why waste them on this album when they seem to be pretty good?

Dave 1986 11-09-2003 10:55 PM

I hope Busted die a slow and painful death.

They think they got the right to slag of Bon Jovi? For a band who get turned on by that stupid synchronised jump at the start of each chorus thye got too much to say for themsleves. They only know about 2 and a half chords between them anyway.

One more thing....YOU DON'T STRUM ON A BASS GUITAR! MORON!

Thierry 11-10-2003 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86

They think they got the right to slag of Bon Jovi? For a band who get turned on by that stupid synchronised jump at the start of each chorus thye got too much to say for themsleves. They only know about 2 and a half chords between them anyway.

lol..

Bex Jovi 11-10-2003 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86

Hee hee. that made me smile. mousebounce took the words out of my mouth with this topic.

Dawn 11-11-2003 12:25 AM

I didnt like any of the popstars that made the comment, but I agree with them. The clips werent even new clips, it was old clips of BJ singing the old versions of the songs which I thought stunk.

Dawn

Supersonic 11-11-2003 01:53 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

So you become a musician when you're not in a boyband ? Then what about Robbie Williams, Ronan Keating and Justin Timberlake ?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

relz 11-11-2003 02:40 PM

busted ha

can i just say that when those three idiots on CD UK are One of the biggest and most respected bands in the world and also the small fact of One Hundred Million Albums then they have room to slag off the biggest band in the world but until then they can shut the **** up and keep singing shit songs about crashing ****in weddings and liking their teachers what a bunch of losers

Iceman 11-11-2003 02:44 PM

Quote:

Not me.

Ice

Supersonic 11-11-2003 02:58 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman
Quote:

Not me.

Ice

Me neither. I don't like Kid Rock so why would I like this version of Wanted ?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Jim Bon Jovi 11-12-2003 04:29 PM

who was on the panel? i'm pretty sure thats abs from 5s full time occupation these days :D

personally i like the new version better than the original and i dont really know why but i do and to say that the new album doesn't have them playing like musicians is idiotic, with the exception of tico and hugh it's the best the band have played on a record since these days.

Neurotica80 11-12-2003 06:30 PM

I think it was Busted, someone from Westlife and is he called Sean Paul??? Ok not who you call respected but it doesnt mean they arnt right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bon Jovi
with the exception of tico and hugh it's the best the band have played on a record since these days.

Guess we'll have to disagree on that one Jim :?

Lex 11-14-2003 05:01 PM

They may have been right about it not being as good as the original or the pointlessness of releasing a cover of your own song, but that Charlie from Busted is so immature, laughing when Cat said that many people consider Wanted one of the best rock songs of our time. As if "Busted" are so rock!

He must be jealous that Bon Jovi fill stadiums and "Busted" don't?!? What's his case. Perhaps if he was even half as goodlooking (ok looks aren't the issue here but he could start by waxing his eyesbrows), or half as talented as the band, he'd have room to speak. Instead, he just showed off how immature and pathetic he was about, rather than looking at the issue of the new video objectively. No-one asked if he was a fan or not, right? And what was he on about them having no new hits? Please! At least they don't sing about crashing stupid weddings to 12 year old girls only.

Lex