Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This House Tour (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70822)

james_d 06-27-2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274497)
I remember thinking oh god no when the drum intro to Always started, I just thought Jon wouldn't be able to do it but he absolutely knocked it out of the park. The truly last great show I think, the crowd were absolutely fired up throughout the whole gig.

These Days from SP was fantastic, I go back to it quite often.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Looking at Wembley, the Encore kinda could've done with something like Saturday night after Always, but I'm not complaining. Was a magical night, as much as some people can't accept that others still enjoy shows.

James_86 06-27-2021 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1274498)
Looking at Wembley, the Encore kinda could've done with something like Saturday night after Always, but I'm not complaining. Was a magical night, as much as some people can't accept that others still enjoy shows.

Yeah I agree. I just kind of assumed at the time Jon was physically done as it felt a little short and sweet.

james_d 06-28-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1274499)
Yeah I agree. I just kind of assumed at the time Jon was physically done as it felt a little short and sweet.

If you listen to Prayer, I'm pretty sure he was tbh

BJFan99 06-28-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1274502)
If you listen to Prayer, I'm pretty sure he was tbh

Yeah, but then again, Prayer basically sounded like crap throughout the entire tour. Out of the "mandatory" hits Jon seemed to struggle the most with it, Bad Medicine and Have A Nice Day. Bad Name got quite rough near the end of the tour, but usually wasn't among the worst offenders, and on BTBMB and IML he usually sounded relatively decent.

However, to me, his strongest suit on this tour were, rather surprisingly, the big ballads. Always turned from patchy via even more patchy to total dog shit by the end of the tour, but for the most part I kept being impressed how solid he sounded on BOR and IBTFY. I mean, just listen to this Roses performance - pretty damn good for a man with a completely shot voice, huh?

https://youtu.be/TXxBb9QIfVM?t=71

james_d 06-28-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1274507)
Yeah, but then again, Prayer basically sounded like crap throughout the entire tour. Out of the "mandatory" hits Jon seemed to struggle the most with it, Bad Medicine and Have A Nice Day. Bad Name got quite rough near the end of the tour, but usually wasn't among the worst offenders, and on BTBMB and IML he usually sounded relatively decent.

However, to me, his strongest suit on this tour were, rather surprisingly, the big ballads. Always turned from patchy via even more patchy to total dog shit by the end of the tour, but for the most part I kept being impressed how solid he sounded on BOR and IBTFY. I mean, just listen to this Roses performance - pretty damn good for a man with a completely shot voice, huh?

https://youtu.be/TXxBb9QIfVM?t=71

What I find so bizarre about BOR being one of Jon's best songs these days, is that it really wasn't the case back when his voice was far better in 2008-10, of course relatively speaking. It was one of the songs that was incredibly nasal, and became almost unpleasant by the end of 2013.

bonjovi90 06-28-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1274508)
It was one of the songs that was incredibly nasal, and became almost unpleasant by the end of 2013.

I'd be hard pressed to find songs that weren't unpleasant by the end of 2013. Ah the good ol' nasal days :mrgreen:

liljovi93 06-29-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1274508)
What I find so bizarre about BOR being one of Jon's best songs these days, is that it really wasn't the case back when his voice was far better in 2008-10, of course relatively speaking. It was one of the songs that was incredibly nasal, and became almost unpleasant by the end of 2013.

It had its moments but Frankfurt 08 version of Bed Of Roses is fantastic, in my opinion.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

bonjovi90 06-29-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1274525)
It had its moments but Frankfurt 08 version of Bed Of Roses is fantastic, in my opinion.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Frankfurt, for my money, definitely was the most passionate performance of the song since it's reintroduction the same year. I remember later that year, on some radio show, Jon mentioned the special moments when he manages to "rip his heart out" during a ballad at a show and specifically recited Bed of Roses from that show.
At the show, I first thought "oh well", 'cause it really isn't my favourite ballad and the "I got nothing to prove..." part had become lackluster for most parts after the middle of 1993, but he really went for it and it was a great rendition!

Butters 06-30-2021 12:19 AM

BOR from the Crush DVD is absolutely epic.