Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Aftermath of The Lowdown, 6 years later (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70357)

NicoRourke 05-28-2018 11:17 AM

Aftermath of The Lowdown, 6 years later

First, sorry for starting a new thread, I can't find the one dedicated to the album.

So I've been listening a lot to Richie's first three solo albums lately.
I'm not a big fan of what he does under the RSO banner, but I love his previous albums.

Now, AOTL if I remember correctly was received with mixed feelings right? Has this opinion changed the past 6 years?

The only stain on it is, in my opinion, the dreadful 'Sugar Daddy' and the bonus track 'Backseat Driver'.

but there are some gems in there, like 'Weathering the Storm' (besides that horrendous "shelter, food and sex" lyric), Seven Years Gone obviously, Learning "How to Fly With a Broken Wing" that (again in my opinion) rocks way more than anything from the Bon Jovi of the last decade.

What do you think?

YOVANAfromPeru 05-28-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoRourke (Post 1242139)
but there are some gems in there, like 'Weathering the Storm' (besides that horrendous "shelter, food and sex" lyric)

there is a member in this community with that lyric like his signature, he’s going strongly disagree with you >_< lol

the only song I like from this album is Seven years... anyway tomorrow I will listen it again at work

Nige 05-28-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoRourke (Post 1242139)
The only stain on it is, in my opinion, the dreadful 'Sugar Daddy' and the bonus track 'Backseat Driver'.

I absolutely love Backseat Driver! Top three from the album easily for me.

I still enjoy the album as a whole. The songs are good generally; the main thing that lets it down for me is the production - it's a muddy mess to my ears.

jazzsta 05-28-2018 12:37 PM

I agree about the production. Kills the vibe in most uptempo songs, that's why the coolest are the ballads.

You can only get so high is a gem imo.

I like much Taking A Chance On The Wind, Weathering The Storm (sans the shelterfoodsex line) and Seven Years Gone.

Alphavictim 05-28-2018 02:04 PM

I'd listened to the leaks before, and figured "well, it's not quite as good as the previous two, but it'll be worth it for Forgiveness Street - what a banger!"

I never bought the album, obviously, because I was just dumbfounded it was not on it. Surely there was gonna be a deluxe re-release some time later?

It's like a Slippery with Prayer actually not making the cut. And it wasn't even re-recorded for the RSO album or released digitally, was it? Insane.

Anyway, once it was clear that Forgiveness Street was not gonna be on there, I'd decided to wait until the price of the album drops. The price at Amazon is 22 bucks right now. Well.

NicoRourke 05-28-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 1242147)
I absolutely love Backseat Driver! Top three from the album easily for me.

I still enjoy the album as a whole. The songs are good generally; the main thing that lets it down for me is the production - it's a muddy mess to my ears.

Forget what I said about Backseat Driver, just listened again after reading your comment (it was unchecked in iTunes), and it's indeed quite good.

Production is a bit messy indeed, and I wonder if - based on some of the songs and lyrics - that was the beginning of the split. A lot of the content seems (to me at least) that Richie was indeed fed up with the state of the band, the life away from family etc.

_KaMi_ 05-28-2018 05:28 PM

I really enjoyed the album when it came out and really loved the 2012 european tour shows. There was still some profesionalism and magic in Richie during that time. I still hope that someday the London show's footage will be released. I don't remembre where, but I saw an interview that year where they used some of the footage and it looked really good. The setlist was good also, if I remember correctlly, he played The Answer in that one.

Something strange happend with forgiveness street also, since they released a video of him and the violinist recording the arragements for the song.

rolo_tomachi 05-28-2018 06:24 PM

Aftermath for me was quite satisfying, at that time, I wanted and needed a third new Richie album, and after Aftermath, I just wanted more Richie albums.

Aftermath has a lot of memorable songs for me, I've listened to that album a lot, I still do it from time to time.The only complaint, would be the production and mixing of the album, because it lacks clarity for my taste, but even so, it is not so unpleasant.

I was always curious to hear this song.

liljovi93 05-28-2018 06:25 PM

Loved the album when it come out and still love it now.

It's one of them albums that always takes me back to a certain time in my life.

One of my favourite albums I'd say. One or two 'meh' songs but I do love it.

Also enjoyed the live show very much too!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

_KaMi_ 05-28-2018 06:59 PM

I found the video