Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I don't wanna fall to the fire (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=54983)

Crushgen24/88 02-23-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezearis (Post 1108831)
I don't think that "Without Love" beats Only Lonely or The Hardest Part Is The Night. And... the first two? The first Bon Jovi record is pure magic.

I would take Without Love over anything on either of them, outside of Tokyo Road. Social Disease is a different story, but that's not exactly praise since I'd rank Social Disease as the single worst song the band has ever released. As for the debut album, it's better than Fahrenheit, but beyond that I'm not a fan at all.

Savvi 02-23-2013 11:40 AM

Id take any post 2000 album over the first two albums. There are songs I enjoy on both of them, but overall they fall short.

And as a side note - Without Love is the most under rated song on this board. I bloody love it! Better than Id Die For You, Let It Rock and Social Disease. I'd probably take it over Never Say Goodbye too.

DevilsSon 02-23-2013 01:39 PM

Hah…some interesting points of view. I remember the first time I listened to 7800. It was one of the last if not the last Bon Jovi album I got my hands on (they never had it at my local music store). My first reaction was 'what the hell is this?!?' It's so different. To this day, i haven't heard anything close to this…not by Bon Jovi, not by anyone else. I think it's the most original album in Bon Jovi's catalogue and the only Jovi record which truly sounds as if the band had two guitarists (Jon is credited for playing 'noise guitars'). The bass is killer all throughout and that synth somehow never come across as out of place. Not to mention Jon's vocals which sound as if he sings for his life.

As about To the Fire - always liked it. Solid album track. Not as good as Only Lonely, Price of Love (that bridge with it's all in the game, the way that it's played….etc….ending in one massive 10 sec scream leading into the solo still makes me go mental each time) or Secret Dreams but decent song.

bwehehehe 02-23-2013 03:36 PM

I like that song for its dark theme and the synth and bass has grown on me. One of my favorites off 7800.

Rdkopper 02-23-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndiannaRose (Post 1108835)
This is a blatantly ridiculous statement. Who are you to declare who real Bon Jovi fans are? Arrogant fool.

It's a figurative statement..... For me, Bon Jovi are their first 4 albums and imo, that is the real Bon Jovi..... (I'll even through Blaze in there too). I'm not saying that Faith and TDs aren’t great albums because they are but something got lost from that band after 1991.

With that said, they are still amazing.... I'm a fan because of those first 4 albums, there was no bad song during those times, and life was great!!!

I wish everyone could have grown-up in the 80's. There will never be talent like that again. Although used cheesy at times there will never be another George Michael, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Billy Joel (70's too), Whitney, Maria, Prince, Bon Jovi, Lionel Richie, Tom Petty (70’s too) it's just an endless list of amazing talent.

Even these great singers of today can’t cover these artists effortlessly. And the ones who can hit the notes, don’t have that same passion. I remember hearing Carrie Underwood’s version of “Praying For Time” and almost threw up. It was just all about hitting notes with no emotion.

I'm watching FUN win all these Grammy awards and I'm thinking to myself, "what a f-ing joke". They have one catchy tune which is not even that great lyrically and they suck live. If this band was from the 70s 80's or 90s, they'd be less than average.

Also, if an artist has a great album today, they are almost instantly considered legends. Turn on the radio in 1985, there were 50 artists with all that same, equal talent which is better than most of this crap on the radio today, yet those artist didn't have half the notoriety as these artists have today. That's because the competition was so great. The fact that FUN has more Grammy’s than a band like Motley Crue or other talented rock/pop acts is such a ****ing joke. In 3 years FUN will be nothing but a memory.

Even take someone like Pat Benatar. She would be considered a genius in 2013 but in the 80’s she was just Pat Benatar. That’s because her competition was Madonna, Cindy Lauper, and a ton more.

Sorry I drifted but I just needed to vent…… Music just needs a complete revamp. I can’t take all these ****ing singing competitions anymore. I turned on American Idol the other day out of curiosity and I couldn’t believe the shit I saw. We need some good songwriters with unique voices back. Jon said it best. I’ll power phrase……A guy like Tom Petty or Bob Dylan would not make it on American Idol because they don’t have that pitch perfect voice. They would be lost talents.

Panda 02-23-2013 04:33 PM

Lol @ Motley Crue being better than fun.

Panda 02-23-2013 04:44 PM

But seriously, I hear nothing but passion on fun's new album. its all up for interpretation I suppose. You are also one of those lost-in-the-80s folk. before your time a generation was listening to country and soul and blues. There are people that say music lost all heart and soul and passion when the 80s hit. And people still think that. They're wrong and you're wrong. Just because YOU don't connect with music and only listen to bands from the 80s doesn't mean there's no passion and soul.

A lot of my friends are pretty into music and would laugh at you non stop if you tried to convince them motley crue and poison had more passion in their music than any of todays music.

Rdkopper 02-23-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 1108887)
But seriously, I hear nothing but passion on fun's new album. its all up for interpretation I suppose. You are also one of those lost-in-the-80s folk. before your time a generation was listening to country and soul and blues. There are people that say music lost all heart and soul and passion when the 80s hit. And people still think that. They're wrong and you're wrong. Just because YOU don't connect with music and only listen to bands from the 80s doesn't mean there's no passion and soul.

A lot of my friends are pretty into music and would laugh at you non stop if you tried to convince them motley crue and poison had more passion in their music than any of todays music.

Motley and Poison are two different bands. Motley are freaking awesome and piss all over Poison. And no I'm not stuck in the 80s at all. I could praise the 90s just as much. This topic just happens to be focused around a song from 1985.

The 80s always had a bad rep because of the cheese, of which I agree. However you can not ignore the talent of the acts I named above. I noticed that the decade is still laughed at but the individual artists are becoming more and more respected as time moves on.

Crushgen24/88 02-23-2013 06:22 PM

There was great music in the 80's, and there was crappy music in the 80's, and the 90's, and the 00's, and right now.

KeepTheFaith2211 02-23-2013 08:24 PM

I too used to be of the opinion that music nowadays lacks passion and is not very good etc.

Then I realised I was naive and generalising beyond belief. You can't do it.