Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bon Jovi V Skid Row (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=45026)

steel_horse75 05-12-2008 02:51 PM

Bon Jovi V Skid Row

not musically.

i mean didnt they (Jon) have fistcuffs with Seb Bach?
was it over money or Sebs language on stage?
Does Jon still get on with Dave Sabo?

danfan 05-12-2008 02:57 PM

It was in Skid's contract that Jon would get a certain cut of whatever the Skid's made on their first record. Shrewd, yes. Smart, yes. Jon saw something, and took an opportunity. Skid Row were greatly helped (to say the least) by Bon Jovi, and made plenty of money because of Jon. At the time, Jon was in his late 20's and was still after everything he could get. He's always been a very smart business man.

They got into some fight backstage. Depends who you believe on what happened. Jon says he was pissed because of the language Sebastian was using on stage as an opening act and "knocked him on his ass". Sebastian says Jon threatened him while being protected by his bodyguards.

In any event, Jon clearly could care less, while Sebastian still holds a grudge. Any time I've seen him live, he always makes a snide remark about Jon.

steel_horse75 05-12-2008 04:02 PM

l love Skid ROW (with Seb) but there was a massive roumer going round that JBJ & RS wrote most of the debut album for Skid Row - especially 18 & Life.
I think I read somewhere that RS is still mates with Sabo but im not sure about Jon.

Grypweed 05-12-2008 04:09 PM

Surely there's a friendly relationship between them and Snake, he appeared on Behind The Music... or is that naive of me?

Crushgen24/88 05-12-2008 10:20 PM

Wasn't Richie getting a cut of Skid's money as well?

Javier 05-12-2008 10:25 PM

Well, Jon did Let Skid Row use his studio in recording Thickskin, so there must be some kind of friendship goin on.

RonJovi 05-12-2008 10:26 PM

Rumour that Richie gave his share of the money back.

Jon and Snake are still friends.

Javier 05-12-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonJovi (Post 825272)
Rumour that Richie gave his share of the money back.

Jon and Snake are still friends.

That was somewhat cleared by Snake.
They never saw any money back.

eddie73 05-12-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 825269)
Wasn't Richie getting a cut of Skid's money as well?

Richie got a bit embarresed bout the whole thing, and didnt want people think he was ripping the skids off, so he paid it all back

JKKDARK 05-12-2008 11:34 PM

Too bad Jon doesn't want Sabo and his band as opening act :(

Crushgen24/88 05-12-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825290)
Too bad Jon doesn't want Sabo and his band as opening act :(

I saw Seb open for GNR back in '06, and was really unimpressed.
There was something off with the sound, and he started ripping his sound guy apart from the stage.

JKKDARK 05-12-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 825293)
I saw Seb open for GNR back in '06, and was really unimpressed.
There was something off with the sound, and he started ripping his sound guy apart from the stage.

Yes, but Jon said he doesn't want to tour with any of their 80s peers.

I just hate that about Bon Jovi. They only tour with bands from the latest popular trends :mad:

Crushgen24/88 05-13-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825297)

I just hate that about Bon Jovi. They only tour with bands from the latest popular trends :mad:

Meh, I really don't care who the opening act is.
Although I'm always happy to see AAR, since they're one of my favorite bands.

danfan 05-13-2008 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825297)

What's wrong with that? He doesn't want to be considered a novelty act. I respect the hell out of him for that.

You keep confusing Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. DL has to tour with their peers. They're not big enough anymore to have a real opening act. Don't be pissed at Bon Jovi for not being tied down by their lack of modern day success.

JKKDARK 05-13-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 825323)
DL has to tour with their peers. They're not big enough anymore to have a real opening act.

Just only Whitesnake.

owned.

Crushgen24/88 05-13-2008 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825329)
Just only Whitesnake.

owned.

Actually, no.
In recent years Leppard has toured with REO Speedwagon, Journey, and Brian Adams.

yomamasofat 05-13-2008 05:46 AM

Touring with 'peers' doesn't mean novelty.
If you notice, Bryan Adams, Journey, etc, they do have new albums as well.
Novelty is when bands just play the old stuff.

Emil 05-13-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

owned.

That's mature.

sarah448 05-13-2008 09:03 AM

there's really no need to argue, each to their own ;) Personally i love both Bon Jovi and Skid Row, and past conflicts don't really matter because i still love to listen to their music.

Goldsausage 05-13-2008 11:22 AM

BTW JKK, it's never cool to say "owned" yourself, it always looks cooler if you own someone and then a totally different person says "owned!".

JKKDARK 05-13-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 825330)
Actually, no.
In recent years Leppard has toured with REO Speedwagon, Journey, and Brian Adams.

Which had nothing to do with Glam Metal. They weren't their peers back in the day.

Iceman 05-13-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 825275)
Richie got a bit embarresed bout the whole thing, and didnt want people think he was ripping the skids off, so he paid it all back

No, Richie has never paid anything back. Snake himself said this. He also said that they signed a bad publishing deal and it was their own fault. But Jon and Richie still got a lot of money off Skids' first album and no one has paid anything back.

Ice

Javier 05-13-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 825369)
No, Richie has never paid anything back. Snake himself said this. He also said that they signed a bad publishing deal and it was their own fault. But Jon and Richie still got a lot of money off Skids' first album and no one has paid anything back.

Ice

Thank you, I knew I remembered an interview like this, but don't remember exactly when and where it was that I saw it.

DevilsSon 05-13-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 825372)
Thank you, I knew I remembered an interview like this, but don't remember exactly when and where it was that I saw it.

Metal Sludge, 20 questions with Snake Sabo. Apparently Slash made Richie feel bad about the whole thing. But of course, he never returned anything. Would've been stupid anyhow.

danfan 05-13-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushgen24/88 (Post 825330)
Actually, no.

Don't forget Styx.

danfan 05-13-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Just only Whitesnake.

owned.

That would have a bit more impact if you were right.

Reo Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, Bryan Adams.

Un-owned.

Thierry 05-13-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825363)
Which had nothing to do with Glam Metal. They weren't their peers back in the day.

Here in the Netherlands we call people like you a stumpert.

yomamasofat 05-13-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKKDARK (Post 825363)

You got a point there. Styx, Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and Bryan Adams are all melodic rock bands. However, among them, I only consider Bryan Adams as Def Leppard's peer (simply because they started in very early 80s/late 70s and they partnered with the mega awesome Mutt Lange).

I do not consider Styx, Journey, REO and Foreigner as Def Leppard's peers because they started earlier than the Leppard. But they are each other's peers alright.

Grypweed 05-13-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 825384)
Here in the Netherlands we call people like you a stumpert.

Isn't that a Pokemon?

Goldsausage 05-13-2008 10:11 PM

Don't be so stumpert, Jem.

Goldsausage 05-13-2008 10:11 PM

I hope I used that in the right context otherwise I'll look like a stumpert.

Becky 05-15-2008 01:59 AM

I still believe the "rumors" that Jon and Richie actually wrote 18 & Life and I Remember You which explains why they would have gotten a cut publishing rights (which songwriters get). I've recently gotten "Hair Nation" on satellite radio so I hear a good bit of Skid Row and those two songs sound much more like Jon/Richie penned songs than Skid Row penned songs. Jon has mentioned Skid Row when asked about artists he's written for, but we've never seen his name credited on one of their albums.

***gotta love a good conspiracy***

yomamasofat 05-15-2008 02:17 AM

In the whole Bon Jovi vs Skid Row thing, the only aspect I doubt is the part where Jon and Richie were supposedly the writers of "I'll Remember You" and "18 And Life". I am sure that Snake Sabo and Rachel Bolan are capable of penning such melodic tunes.

Bach on the other hand, can't write shit.

Emil 05-15-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomamasofat (Post 825703)
Bach on the other hand, can't write shit.

I take it you haven't heard the mindblowing album that is The Last Hard Men then? ;)

UKjovi 05-15-2008 09:13 AM

I remember watching Seb Bach being interviewd about his relationship with Bon Jovi and he came out with such crap he made himself look a complete prick .

Rumen 05-15-2008 10:34 AM

Question:Ok, Bazz, one pretty dangerous question - What do you think of when you hear the name Bon Jovi?

Seb: People say: "Oh you guys wouldn't have made it without Bon Jovi."
I go "Who knows?", I don't know.I don't think anybody, though if they weren't
offered the ****in' biggest tour in the world with the biggest management
in the world, with a big record contract, I can't see 'em going.
"No I don't think so, I think I'm gonna wait around a couple more years and
do it all my way", you know?**** that shit, man!Most guys on my age would
give their left nut to do what we've been doing this year!But if you want to know
the whole story this is the way it is..."Snake" grew up with Jon.
Their backyards faced each other in New Jersey when they were kids. You know,
they got laid for the first time together at the same party. And they got drunk together
for the first time.They were like ****in' best friends,right? Then,when they both
started getting involved in bands,they kind make this pact. You know like,
"If you make it first,man, I'll ****in' come back and help you", and vice versa, you know?
Which was pretty ****in' cool for the rest of us in the band!**** yeah, you did the
right thing that day, "Snake" old buddy!

Question: What about the song publishing?

Seb: Jeez it's on the album,isn't it? If you look at the fine print, I mean,
yeah that's what happened, man! Things like that happen to everybody in this business.
I had to pay a former manager, when I joined Skid row, like $20,000. Just to be
****in' in this band! And I mean,I didn't have that kind of money. I'd never
sold any records! But Jon gave me that money to pay this guy off, or I couldn't
have been in this band!

Question: When you said Jon, tell us more about the incident between you guys?

Seb:Ohhhh,here is the story, what really happened was, it was the end of the tour
and the road crew decided it was a gag night, right?Maybe we took our little gag
too far,I don't know. I mean,we did the same thing at the beginning of the tour
and there was no comeback from his endor anything. I was grabbed just I was
about to goon stage. Somebody poured a gallon of freezing cold ice-milk over me!
But the intro tape was rolling and I just had to go on there covered in all this shit!
So I go out there - big gag-and when I get the mic I go this rant against Jon.
Like "Come on up here, pussy,and get a piece of me, motherf@cker!" And all this shit.
But see, he's my friend and it's like, that's our sense of humour, you know? But I guess
in front of 20,000 people that maybe don't get the joke, it looked kinda heavy. I mean,
I watched the tape back and it came over really ****in' harsh an' all. It was like a
riot gonna start. But you know, this was my first tour. I didn't know all the rules to
these games yet. Then it turned out that Jon didn't know anything about what his road
crew had done to me. And he got pissed off and when we came offstage we had I a fight,
I never wanna say this,though. I'll never back down from a fight.Anybody comes near to me,
they're gonna get a ****in' kick in the head. And that's the way I'm gonna leave it, that's
all there is to say! But, hey man, I still love Jon and thank him for the best year of my life!

::::::::::

The same question,but with different answer:)

Seb: Jon had his brother and several bodyguards with him! He got them to pin
me against a wall,and then threated me.He stood there wagging his finger
and lecturing. Well, I was quite prepare to take him on, but not with the others with
him. So, I told him that if he wanted to step into my room by himself, then I would
have punched him out. No problem! Who do you think would have won?
A lightweight Bruce Spingsteen fan or a heavyweight Metallica maniac like me!

::::::::

Seb:He has $70 million in his bank acount, but he seems to be desperate to get an extra $2
million from us! Why, I don't know! But he was under a publishing contract whereby we make
nothing at all. And I promise you that unless things change we will not carry on.
I'd rather split this band up that carry on making money for Jon Bon Jovi!

::::::::

Question: What do you think of Jon’s acting abilities? And would he work you him in an acting role if the part demanded it?
Seb: I’ve never seen him really act. There was one movie where he was a pot dealer, and I saw a little bit of that, but he’s a very good actor because he doesn’t smoke pot! I did have acrimony towards Jon for years, but on my Forever Wild TV show I interviewed Tico Torres [Bon Jovi drummer], we played ‘Lay Your Hands On Me’, had a brew at the bar and talked about the old days. All I was ever mad at Jon for was to let me have my own life. That was it. Please, I don’t need someone to hold my ****ing hand.

::::::::::::::

Question: Let’s imagine you can go back in time and change three events in your life. If you don’t mind, I’d like to guess that they would be: a) signing away such a large percentage of your royalties to Jon Bon Jovi, b) the bottle-throwing incident and c), not having hit Jon harder. Am I right?
Seb: Awww, I have more good memories of Bon Jovi than bad ones now. I’ve bashed Jon relentlessly in the past, but I don’t feel that way any more. When I think of those times when I was touring with Bon Jovi and living at his house for two weeks… okay, maybe the deal we signed wasn’t the most equitable of all time, but it’s possible that if we hadn’t, you might never have heard of me. And I respect his tenacity in an industry that devours its young and old alike.
So to answer your question… I did wear a really ridiculous T-shirt, and I can’t believe I’m bringing it up again, but it was really rotten, really stupid. And the bottle throwing thing, yeah, I’d change that. Then again, if somebody cracks you in the head with a bottle, what do you do? You ain’t thinking rationally. If somebody hit me with a bottle in the head again I’d probably knock the **** right out of them.

::::::::::::::

Richie: What happend was that I was part of a company with Jon, but disagreed with
was going on. So, I gave back some money and got out!

::::::::::::

Jon(on Seb):Things got to such a point that, in the end I knocked him onto his
little butt. But then I picked him up and hugged him, with two words he was too
arrogant for his own good.Something had to be done abouit it"

Jon: With Skids, that was something I'd been working on for two years, for about
a year and a half of thatwe were writing songs with them, re-writing songs, paying for
studio time, paying their rent and every single thing that came with them!

::::::::::::::::::

Jon:The Skids are wonderful guys though. I just spent a week's
vacantion with Snake n' Rachel! I still love them very much - and
Sebastian's probably a good kid too. I don't spend enough time with
him to find out! I know,it's though for him to grow out of my shadow.
I mean,every ****ing interview they were saying "Jon did this for you.
Jon did that"!I'm sure he got sick of it, like "****,Jon!" I understand!

::::::::::::::::::::

Question: Rumor has it Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora had owned the publishing off the first Skid Row record. After its huge success there was obviously a good amount of money made. Jon & Richie had already stacked their bank accounts pretty well due to their own sales. After this was made somewhat public knowledge rumor was that Slash from GNR said something to Richie that prompted him to give back his share of the money to
the band (you guys, Skid Row). However Jon didn't do the same after Baz pulled his shit.
Is this true, please elaborate?

Dave "Snake" Sabo:I know Rich felt uncomfortable about the money he made off of our 1st album but the money was never given back to us, that I am sure of. But, as far as that whole thing goes, we basically signed a shitty deal, but we all signed it, and contrary to what anyone might say, we all knew what we were doing. It's just that when success hit, we realized how much we had given up and it was quite a bit. But, we still made a pretty penny ourselves.

Question:Another rumor, there was a very ugly backstage incident involving Jon, Sebastian & security guards. What is the real truth about this. Who said what, who slapped or punched who?

Dave "Snake" Sabo:What happened was, it was the 2nd to the last night of the tour, and the BonJovi crew were doing the usual end of the tour antics, dumping milk on us, throwing eggs at us while we were onstage, all of it harmless. So, as this is happening, Sebastian announces to the crowd "Jon BonJovi should come up here and get a Piece of ME",
and then we went into the song. He didn't say this maliciously at all. He said it in good fun, because we all thought Jon was behind it all. Well, after our set, I'm walking up the ramp of the arena, and I see Jon walking towards me. I start laughing and say to him "man, you really got us, that was awesome!" And walks right past me with this scowl on his face headed right towards Baz. So, I stop and turn around, because I have this bad feeling in me, and I see Baz smiling and going to give Jon a high-five and says, "You guys totally got us," then I see Jon throw a punch at Baz and I'm like "what the **** is going on?". So Baz throws a punch back at him then a ton of security jumps in and separates the two of them, but as they're heading back to our dressing rooms they're still yelling and screaming at each other and I still don't know why. As it turns out, Jon had nothing to do with any of the
end-of-tour- stuff and he thought that Baz called him a pussy on stage when, in fact, Baz was just introing Piece of Me! To this day I defend Baz on this because he did nothing wrong and it was a completely ridiculous incident.

;)

DevilsSon 05-15-2008 12:05 PM

Thanks a lot Rumen. Those were some interesting excerpts.

UKjovi 05-15-2008 04:12 PM

Sounds like Jon behaved like a spoilt brat then.

kenobi_on_a_prayer 05-15-2008 04:26 PM

Thanks for the excerpts Rumen, but given all those contradictions I still don't know what to think.

Maybe Baz called Jon white toast; that would have set him off like a rocket.;)

JKKDARK 05-15-2008 06:25 PM

wow I didn't expect Jon could punch someone!