Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What was the last album you genuinely enjoyed? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70083)

LeaJovi 09-08-2017 04:32 PM

These Days, hands down. Pure depressive magic from start to finish.

Becky 09-08-2017 06:10 PM

Don't doubt the guy! I was an Elvis fan by the time I was 3 or 4. I was left to entertain myself at that age and had access to a record player and my mom's records and I consistently played Disney, Golden Book, and Elvis records. I also loved Ray Coniff. I also banged around on a keyboard and accordion that were at my disposal.

thesedays2014 09-08-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1227533)
Don't doubt the guy! I was an Elvis fan by the time I was 3 or 4. I was left to entertain myself at that age and had access to a record player and my mom's records and I consistently played Disney, Golden Book, and Elvis records. I also loved Ray Coniff. I also banged around on a keyboard and accordion that were at my disposal.

I used to go into my brother's room and put vinyl on at 3/4. Favourite records were Slippery When Wet, Thin Lizzy Jailbreak, Marillion Script and It Bites Calling All the Heroes (can't remember the name of the album...). Good job, because my sister got me into Jason Donovan 😂

hackster73 09-09-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1227526)
My dads massively into music so Ive loved it since I was about 5 or 6. My nan used to buy me a single every Friday and I saved up pocket money for albums.
First ever single was Dead Ringer for Love by Meatloaf and first album was Shaky by Shakin Stevens - but i was brought up on The Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Cream, Hendrix etc.
I got my own taste about 14 and thats when I discovered Jovi.

Anyways, I like bit and pieces of all albums. When they get it right they really do get it right but as far as a consistent album - not been once since These Days.

Every album has a duff track or 2 but the first 6 for me (with the exception of those 1 or 2 tracks) are immense.

Agreed

It's almost like you could make a very strong album from 2 post 2000.

Crush-Bounce

HAND-Lost Highway

The Circle-What About Now

Burning Bridges-THINFS

I know this means the output is less frequent but that isn't a bad thing. An album every 4 years...

If you mix these together, remove the throw away songs you can be left with 4 strong albums. Anyone want to try?

hackster73 09-09-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227553)
Agreed

It's almost like you could make a very strong album from 2 post 2000.

Crush-Bounce

HAND-Lost Highway

The Circle-What About Now

Burning Bridges-THINFS

I know this means the output is less frequent but that isn't a bad thing. An album every 4 years...

If you mix these together, remove the throw away songs you can be left with 4 strong albums. Anyone want to try?

It's either that or use some of the bonus songs that in most cases were better than some of the album cuts... Another reason to believe, standing, we can dance, dirty little secret, unbreakable, nothing, walk like a man, etc

Eveline 09-09-2017 10:29 AM

The only BJ albums I can listen without skipping are SWW, NJ, KTF and TD. The question in this thread is, however, about the LAST album I genuinely enjoyed and that's definitely BB. THINFS is OK but can't say it won my heart. Some songs are definitely good but overall, it's just so-so for me ;)

rolo_tomachi 09-09-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227553)

I would not say a strong album, perhaps more audible. The problem is that it never has that entity as the old albums had. All post2000 albums sound like a collection of nonsense songs to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227554)
It's either that or use some of the bonus songs that in most cases were better than some of the album cuts... Another reason to believe, standing, we can dance, dirty little secret, unbreakable, nothing, walk like a man, etc

That's exactly what I usually do with albums like Crush, Bounce, Have a NIce Day and Lost Highway. The b-side save a bit the flow of the album, but still there is a long distance to consider it a strong album, perhaps more solid, and more pleasant, which is not bad. The Circle is probably the only album I do not need to remove, add or replace, it's not perfect but the album flow works for me, it's not a great album, but I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping songs. With WAN however, I need to change some songs with bonus and some songs of GH 2010, and still a bit of shit. THINFS and BB make a very good hybrid for me.

Knowing that they are not great albums, I consider myself fortunate to have all that bunch of songs, and especially the box set 2004. Material in abundance.

Stranger11 09-09-2017 01:11 PM

For me that would be These Days. The last Jovi record I enjoy start to finish. From the post 2000 records only Crush would come close to that.

From Bounce to Lost Highway it was more 50-50 and from The Circle onwards there are only 3-4 songs per record that I like.

Walleris 09-09-2017 01:27 PM

I really liked This House, but haven't listened to it in quite a while, so the jury is still out on how it held up for me. I have a suspicion that it won't be great, because the only tracks I actually listened in the last 2-3 months were Living With The Ghost and, to a lesser extent, God Bless This Mess.

If it doesn't hold up, then the answer is Lost Highway. Most underrated work in their catalogue. Genuine songwriting, organic production and the last one to have some real solos by Richie. Not much I can ask at this point.

hackster73 09-09-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1227558)
I would not say a strong album, perhaps more audible. The problem is that it never has that entity as the old albums had. All post2000 albums sound like a collection of nonsense songs to me.

That's exactly what I usually do with albums like Crush, Bounce, Have a NIce Day and Lost Highway. The b-side save a bit the flow of the album, but still there is a long distance to consider it a strong album, perhaps more solid, and more pleasant, which is not bad. The Circle is probably the only album I do not need to remove, add or replace, it's not perfect but the album flow works for me, it's not a great album, but I can listen to it from beginning to end without skipping songs. With WAN however, I need to change some songs with bonus and some songs of GH 2010, and still a bit of shit. THINFS and BB make a very good hybrid for me.

Knowing that they are not great albums, I consider myself fortunate to have all that bunch of songs, and especially the box set 2004. Material in abundance.

Yep. I have bounce as below

Undivided
Everyday
The distance
Another reason to believe
Misunderstood (single version)
All about lovin you
Hook me up
Right side of wrong
Love me back to life
We can dance
Bounce