Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What was the last album you genuinely enjoyed? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70083)

hackster73 09-05-2017 08:39 PM

What was the last album you genuinely enjoyed?

By 'genuinely enjoyed' I mean you were proud to be a fan of the band at the time of hearing the album and still go back to that album now...

For me it is probably Have A Nice Day. Even though there have been moments since then that is the last album that sounded fresh and had a high number of good tracks that I still enjoy listening to now. Not saying it's my favourite but the last one I enjoyed as an album.

thesedays2014 09-05-2017 08:45 PM

I probably agree, although Lost Highway has grown on me...thought it was shit when I first heard it, but I genuinely think it's the last album on which they tried something different.

Becky 09-05-2017 09:01 PM

I truly love This House Is Not for Sale and Burning Bridges. I dislike very few songs on either CD. I don't have to love every song on a CD to consider the CD great. I'm kind of picky and kind of tend to dislike lovey-dovey songs like Labor of Love anyway. So I never expect to like every song.

The Circle and WAN are both CDs that I like about half the songs and I consider them CDs that didn't age well are extremely weak. So, for me, there has been a vast upswing in quality in the last few years.

Javier 09-05-2017 09:04 PM

THINFS. I'm really a fan of this album, listen to it constantly and I think tracks 1 through 10 are awesome!! Takes a dip with 11 and 12 but then I love Real Love. Sometimes the simplistic guitar work gets to me because I can really imagine what it could sound like with some more developed arrangements but overall, as far as songs go, I loved it from the first listen and will continue to....

Rdkopper 09-05-2017 09:05 PM

THINFS.... Listened to it the other day and it's still a solid album

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

JackieBlue 09-05-2017 09:49 PM

Lost Highway is the one I played for friends to introduce (or re-introduce) them to the band because I was a relatively new fan when it came out and I wanted them to share my excitement. As for going back to any of them, I couldn't pick one because I go back and forth all the time. Usually a song on one album will get me thinking about one on a different album so I'll switch and listen to it, until another song or a discussion about lyrics or something switches it up again.

Butters 09-05-2017 10:58 PM

THINFS - Superb album.

Eveline 09-05-2017 11:34 PM

Keep the Faith because it's so dark and it suits my mood atm... well, Burning Bridges is my soft spot, too. I guess I need pain to feel alive.

rolo_tomachi 09-05-2017 11:37 PM

At the time, HAND was a very fresh album for me, but it was still imperfect. But very enjoyable. The Circle still seems like a good collection of songs with a special atmosphere.Brokenpromiseland and Love the Only Rule are shaking chills, I even enjoy smaller songs like Learn To Love or Fast Cars. WAN was poor. THINFS and BB is ok and was better than WAN.

hackster73 09-05-2017 11:47 PM

I am surprised by the love for THINFS so far...

hackster73 09-05-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1227436)
Keep the Faith because it's so dark and it suits my mood atm... well, Burning Bridges is my soft spot, too. I guess I need pain to feel alive.

Yes. Keep the faith and these days have lots of emotion and both have darkness too. Nothing can compare to the big four of Slippery, Jersey, Faith and These Days.

bonjovi90 09-05-2017 11:56 PM

Probably These Days because the holy 4 albums are the ones that I constantly go back and listen to over and over again. Pretty much every post-2000 album has either been too patchy (Crush, Bounce, Burning Bridges) or didn't really connect enough with me.
I loved The Circle when it was released and was proud of it, but it's worn off quite a lot. Really enjoyed THINFS the first two or three months, but it's also fading rapidly. Still like it, but it hasn't even been released for a year, so I can't judge where I'll see it in two or three years time.

bjcrazycpa 09-06-2017 12:51 AM

Tough for me between THINFS, LH and TD. I listen to This House completely through often more than the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbye49 09-06-2017 04:10 AM

THINFS - still listening to it. I go back to Lost Highway also.

bounce442 09-06-2017 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227441)

Me too. I don't get it and I am even more awed by the love for Burning Bridges. Both albums have made me appreciate What About Now for more than I thought I was capable.

I have enjoyed bits and pieces of every Bon Jovi album for what they are BUT "the last album that made me proud to be a fan" is definitely HAND. I haven't pushed BJ albums on my friends and family since HAND.

thesedays2014 09-06-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bounce442 (Post 1227449)
Me too. I don't get it and I am even more awed by the love for Burning Bridges. Both albums have made me appreciate What About Now for more than I thought I was capable.

I have enjoyed bits and pieces of every Bon Jovi album for what they are BUT "the last album that made me proud to be a fan" is definitely HAND. I haven't pushed BJ albums on my friends and family since HAND.

Burning Bridges has 3 or 4 songs with more feel and guitar prescence than anything post-These Days, it also has many fillers... THINFS is the pop-rock junk Jon used to criticize. Solid? For a pop record, yes...it's sadly IMO what Jovi have become 😓

Xavi 09-06-2017 11:17 AM

This House Is Not For Sale

rokuli 09-06-2017 11:39 AM

Because We Can

Although the s/t single was kind of MEH I certainly feel that there's STRONG songwriting on this album. The production sucks....

steel_horse75 09-06-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227421)
By 'genuinely enjoyed' I mean you were proud to be a fan of the band at the time of hearing the album and still go back to that album now...

For me it is probably Have A Nice Day. Even though there have been moments since then that is the last album that sounded fresh and had a high number of good tracks that I still enjoy listening to now. Not saying it's my favourite but the last one I enjoyed as an album.

If you are talking about the last album thats consistent where 95% of it is pure brilliance then These Days.

The last album I find acceptable as a good solid album with a few poor tracks is Bounce.

All the others I only like about 5 or 6 songs on the albums.

steel_horse75 09-06-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Me too.
The sound is horrible and too many fillers.
LWTG, DITT & GBTM are superb. BAT is good.
The rest are pretty poor.

bonjovi90 09-06-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokuli (Post 1227455)
Because We Can

Although the s/t single was kind of MEH I certainly feel that there's STRONG songwriting on this album. The production sucks....

The album is called What About Now ;)

BJFan99 09-06-2017 06:22 PM

Hard to say, but genuinely speaking, probably Lost Highway. To this day, it's the only post-'05 BJ album I still regularly listen to as a whole and not just some of the songs. Any Other Day is probably one of the best post-2k Jovi tracks, and I love Memory, Whole Lot Of Leavin' and Strangers as well. Hell, even the title track and We Got It Going On are alright for me. I remember being seven and waiting for the release date of the album as if it was my birthday. On the LH tour I also saw the band live for the first time in Helsinki - I can still clearly remember the eight-year-old me going absolutely bananas when Always started. And I don't think words can even express the pure relief of not having to hear I Love This Town there, as even back then I hated the damn song with passion!

I had become a BJ fan in early '04, and the first release I had gotten straight myself was 100,000 BJFCBW - prior to that, I had "borrowed" Keep The Faith, Cross Road, These Days, Crush and Bounce from my dad, and the poor guy still hasn't gotten them back...

In September '05 I was super excited as I got Have A Nice Day immediately when it was released. Even back then I acknowledged Who Says was a giant pile of shit, but otherwise I loved the album to death and still do. Actually, it's probably my favorite post-2k BJ record. I know some of you may think I've gone nuts (hardly surprising, I know), but I f***ing love Last Cigarette and Complicated! Both are insanely catchy and among the (relatively small amount of) pre-'07 songs Jon would still be able to sing live nowadays.

liljovi93 09-06-2017 07:51 PM

THINFS

I'd go as far as saying I love it. I still listen to it quite often throughout the week.

Songs have actually grown on me too. I think THINFS is a superb song. I always liked it but it's grew on me so much. I actually love Jon's vocals on it! The opening line especially..

Labor Of Love has grew on me loads too. But I'd say 80% I love/really like. Reunion is probably the song I'm really 'meh' about.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

rokuli 09-06-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1227462)
The album is called What About Now ;)

True true, guess I should sleep more.... :rolleyes: :puppydog:

BJFan99 09-06-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljovi93 (Post 1227464)
I think THINFS is a superb song. I always liked it but it's grew on me so much. I actually love Jon's vocals on it! The opening line especially..

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The wonders that autotune can do...

hackster73 09-06-2017 08:51 PM

Summed up perfectly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1227457)
If you are talking about the last album thats consistent where 95% of it is pure brilliance then These Days.

The last album I find acceptable as a good solid album with a few poor tracks is Bounce.

All the others I only like about 5 or 6 songs on the albums.

Bounce7800 09-06-2017 10:46 PM

I've genuinely enjoyed all albums, so the answer is THINFS for me. There were a few duff songs at the end of WAN, but I still enjoy the songs that Bon Jovi put out. Despite the decline in the live shows, I'm still more than happy with the studio output. They may not be a patch on the highs from These Days backwards, but I still enjoy them nonetheless.

Rdkopper 09-07-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1227467)
The wonders that autotune can do...

Autotune isn't perfected... It's just how songs are recorded in a studio verses being sung live...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Alphavictim 09-07-2017 04:30 AM

Have A Nice Day is easily the best album they've done since the "comeback" in 2000; and I actually like it better than These Days since it doesn't plod as much.

That being said, The Circle has some damn fine songwriting, too. The performances are way less inspired, though, and as a result - aha! - it plods quite a bit. HAND was the last album that felt like a band effort - Lost Highway definitely had lively performances, but I never liked the songwriting, and the noticeable switch in direction made it feel less like it was crafted by the hand as much as some sort of JBJ/RS/Nashville studio project (which it stared out as, if I'm not mistaken).

THINFS feels like a Richie-less The Circle, which is way better than I expected, but makes me wonder what could have been.

I also really like Bounce, but that came out before HAND, so it doesn't really matter as far as "last album I really enjoyed" is concerned. WAN is better than its reputation, but could have REALLY used more time. Hell, imagine Room At The End Of The World with an elaborate KTF-style production, performance & band interplay. Stuff like I'm With You works as a simple pop song (GREAT solo, though), but some of these songs feel like they could have gone beyond that. But they never did. The Richie co-penned tracks in particular feel underdeveloped. Also, like with THINFS, the vocals and their production are a definite step below what came before.

As far as the last SONG that really kicked my ass - that's a more recent one. Who Would You Die For is spectacular, with its more subdued atmosphere and the raspy vocal in the chorus. Didn't really care for most of BB (Teardrop To The Sea was very good, too, however), but that track... man.

micro cuts 09-07-2017 09:15 PM

bounce is the last record that holds certain elements of original bon jovi sound, 2002 is the end of that bon jovi sound for me. I like the albums released after that though. Burning bridges and this house are my favourite amongst those.

DryCounty 09-07-2017 09:26 PM

There isn't a single Bon Jovi album I don't enjoy. Some albums are obviously stronger than others but all albums have some terrific songs.

Becky 09-07-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1227503)
There isn't a single Bon Jovi album I don't enjoy. Some albums are obviously stronger than others but all albums have some terrific songs.

I think that's a nice, concise way to say how a lot of us feel. Even as much as I dislike The Circle as a whole, it has some songs I really love.

I never waver in buying a Bon Jovi CD because I know something will make it worthwhile.

rolo_tomachi 09-07-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Well, I think this happens with every last album. Time will tell its place. But in my opinion and my preferential tastes, if I choose the best of THINFS and BB would have a very solid and satisfactory album. In fact, I do not bother more to listen to these two full albums, I choose the best of both with some bonus tracks and it is a good way to hear new music from this present band.

hackster73 09-07-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1227507)
Well, I think this happens with every last album. Time will tell its place. But in my opinion and my preferential tastes, if I choose the best of THINFS and BB would have a very solid and satisfactory album. In fact, I do not bother more to listen to these two full albums, I choose the best of both with some bonus tracks and it is a good way to hear new music from this present band.

Out of interest what playlist do you have?

rolo_tomachi 09-07-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1227512)
Out of interest what playlist do you have?

1 A Teardrop to the Sea
2 We Dont Run (BB Version)
3 THINFS
4 Knockout
5 Labor of Love (My own mix)
6 Born Again Tomorrow
7 Devils in the Temple
8 WWYDF
9 Fingersprints
10 God Bless This Mess
11 Saturday Night Gave me Sunday Morning
12 Take Back The Night
*Bonus
Scars on this Guitar
I'm Your Man
Touch of Grey

The rest of the songs almost I never heard them. Those are the ones that usually last at the moment, and the flow of the track list is quite pleasant for me.

Edit: I know. No Beautiful Day.
https://www.adzuna.fr/blog/wp-conten...-dont-care.gif

bobbye49 09-08-2017 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 1227505)
I think that's a nice, concise way to say how a lot of us feel. Even as much as I dislike The Circle as a whole, it has some songs I really love.

I never waver in buying a Bon Jovi CD because I know something will make it worthwhile.

Same here. And, sometimes there's a song that I think is meh and when I see it performed live I love it, like LTOR.

jovifan93 09-08-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJFan99 (Post 1227463)
Hard to say, but genuinely speaking, probably Lost Highway. To this day, it's the only post-'05 BJ album I still regularly listen to as a whole and not just some of the songs. Any Other Day is probably one of the best post-2k Jovi tracks, and I love Memory, Whole Lot Of Leavin' and Strangers as well. Hell, even the title track and We Got It Going On are alright for me. I remember being seven and waiting for the release date of the album as if it was my birthday. On the LH tour I also saw the band live for the first time in Helsinki - I can still clearly remember the eight-year-old me going absolutely bananas when Always started. And I don't think words can even express the pure relief of not having to hear I Love This Town there, as even back then I hated the damn song with passion!

I had become a BJ fan in early '04, and the first release I had gotten straight myself was 100,000 BJFCBW - prior to that, I had "borrowed" Keep The Faith, Cross Road, These Days, Crush and Bounce from my dad, and the poor guy still hasn't gotten them back...

In September '05 I was super excited as I got Have A Nice Day immediately when it was released. Even back then I acknowledged Who Says was a giant pile of shit, but otherwise I loved the album to death and still do. Actually, it's probably my favorite post-2k BJ record. I know some of you may think I've gone nuts (hardly surprising, I know), but I f***ing love Last Cigarette and Complicated! Both are insanely catchy and among the (relatively small amount of) pre-'07 songs Jon would still be able to sing live nowadays.

Wow, you seem to have already been seriously into music when you were 5 :eek:

jovifan93 09-08-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1227503)

Agreed. Except for the first two. Ok, the first one has Runaway, which is ok, but other than that I only really started liking BJ with Slippery, and even on that there are 1-2 tracks that I don't really like, since they are "old-school BJ". NJ was perfect from start to finish, KTF and TD too (or almost there). But the first two are just not melodic enough for me, don't have these big hooks, etc. Call me a mainstream whore ;-)

bonjovi90 09-08-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1227520)
Wow, you seem to have already been seriously into music when you were 5 :eek:

I was thinking the same. I don't think I had my first own CD, let alone any sort of interest in music, until I was 8 or 9 :D

steel_horse75 09-08-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1227523)
I was thinking the same. I don't think I had my first own CD, let alone any sort of interest in music, until I was 8 or 9 :D

My dads massively into music so Ive loved it since I was about 5 or 6. My nan used to buy me a single every Friday and I saved up pocket money for albums.
First ever single was Dead Ringer for Love by Meatloaf and first album was Shaky by Shakin Stevens - but i was brought up on The Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Cream, Hendrix etc.
I got my own taste about 14 and thats when I discovered Jovi.

Anyways, I like bit and pieces of all albums. When they get it right they really do get it right but as far as a consistent album - not been once since These Days.

Every album has a duff track or 2 but the first 6 for me (with the exception of those 1 or 2 tracks) are immense.