Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

steel_horse75 07-23-2020 04:25 PM

Apparently 8\10 yracks are written by JBJ....who needs band input eh! As I said ill he amazed if any of them actually played on it.
The videos so far, cover, songs are all Jon

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-23-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265855)
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UI...nJovi_Tp200723

"Special Feature / Bonus Track: two Japan only bonus tracks"

There you go... Almost like in the good old times ;-)

That's great. Although I hope that these bonuses can be obtained in some edition for Europe.

It is good to know that these songs will be released anyway.

Alphavictim 07-23-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1265863)
Apparently 8\10 yracks are written by JBJ....who needs band input eh! As I said ill he amazed if any of them actually played on it.
The videos so far, cover, songs are all Jon

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This. Is. Nothing. New. It's been like that for 35 years. Richie co-wrote and made promo appearances alongside Jon. Richie is no longer in the band.

JackieBlue 07-23-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265854)
Really? First of all, no matter how JBJ wants to present it, Phil is a hired gun. I have total respect for him as a guitar player and as a performer, but don't act like he ever had any say in the band's matters. Second, there's an old video where Phil teaches licks and makes the pun "Richie Samboring". This is probably pre his first Bon Jovi stint even, so I am not at all calling for him to be removed from the band or like, "he is ungrateful!". I am just saying - his style is not very close to that of the guitar player who shaped BJ's sound...

Of course he's a hired gun. The general consensus seems to be that other than Jon, they're all hired guns and it's been that way since Day One. So I've never expected him to have any say in the band. Hell, I still question how much input Richie had, there towards the end.

Like Cap'n Jovi, I never bought into X's status as an official member (whatever that means). It always seemed odd to me that the first "confirmation" of that came in an interview when he was asked if he was an official member and he replied, *Well, Jon's nodding at me, so I guess that's a yes." That's a pretty low-key way for a guy to learn he's an official member of a rock band that's as image-conscious as Bon Jovi. And since then, the few times when he's been asked about being a full-time member of the band, he implied he's not sure about even that much.

I wasn't dissing the man. Having shown some disrespect towards the band at one time doesn't change the fact that he's a talented guitarist who seems to find a way to be happy, most of the time, regardless of what he's doing. Most his stuff with the Drills is pretty good, imo; and he does as well as anybody would, I guess, as a stand-in for Richie. He definitely brings some much-needed energy to the live shows.

Nevertheless, I've still noticed a distinct difference in the way he interacted with fans while he was on tour with Jovi vs the way he's come across since then. Shortly after the Rock Hall seems to be when I recall first noticing it. And I have yet to hear him say anything about the album since the tour ended, not even when they released Limitless. The one exception is this latest comment about his "16-second" guitar solo.

Maybe it's just because he isn't on the road with the band that he seems removed from it; but that hasn't stopped him or his management from billing him as "guitarist for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, Bon Jovi." So not being on tour with them didn't seem to break that connection. :)

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265865)
This. Is. Nothing. New. It's been like that for 35 years. Richie co-wrote and made promo appearances alongside Jon. Richie is no longer in the band.

Way too much logic here. Jon uses Shanks and Falcon, he gets shit on. He writes alone, he gets shit on for not using band input. I can count on two hands how many co-writes David has had and one hand with Tico.

Gripe when it's warranted but making up issues is pointless.

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1265867)
Of course he's a hired gun. The general consensus seems to be that other than Jon, they're all hired guns and it's been that way since Day One. So I've never expected him to have any say in the band. Hell, I still question how much input Richie had, there towards the end.

Like Cap'n Jovi, I never bought into X's status as an official member (whatever that means). It always seemed odd to me that the first "confirmation" of that came in an interview when he was asked if he was an official member and he replied, *Well, Jon's nodding at me, so I guess that's a yes." That's a pretty low-key way for a guy to learn he's an official member of a rock band that's as image-conscious as Bon Jovi. And since then, the few times when he's been asked about being a full-time member of the band, he implied he's not sure about even that much.

I wasn't dissing the man. Having shown some disrespect towards the band at one time doesn't change the fact that he's a talented guitarist who seems to find a way to be happy, most of the time, regardless of what he's doing. Most his stuff with the Drills is pretty good, imo; and he does as well as anybody would, I guess, as a stand-in for Richie. He definitely brings some much-needed energy to the live shows.

Nevertheless, I've still noticed a distinct difference in the way he interacted with fans while he was on tour with Jovi vs the way he's come across since then. Shortly after the Rock Hall seems to be when I recall first noticing it. And I have yet to hear him say anything about the album since the tour ended, not even when they released Limitless. The one exception is this latest comment about his "16-second" guitar solo.

Maybe it's just because he isn't on the road with the band that he seems removed from it; but that hasn't stopped him or his management from billing him as "guitarist for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, Bon Jovi." So not being on tour with them didn't seem to break that connection. :)

He's certainly mentioned it plenty in the podcasts interviews he's done but as far as tweeting and promo, nada.

TheOriginalJez 07-23-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265870)
He's certainly mentioned it plenty in the podcasts interviews he's done but as far as tweeting and promo, nada.

I'm also not sure who we're supposed to be judging him against here... from what I've seen Dave mostly tweets about his Broadway shows and Jon mostly tweets about his son's wine/the soul foundation. Tweet for tweet I'd bet Phil's probably mentioned the band/tour/album more than any other band member.

But also what do people want him to say? The release date is now months away and he has commented on that being changed; and it's nearly a year and a half since he recorded most of his parts for this record, and I don't think he's had much to do with the new songs (if anything.) I'd wager there's a good chance he didn't even know these two songs were getting released unless there's been any promo appearances planned.

Whenever anyone asks about touring and promo his stock reply is 'you'll probably know before I do' so I'm going to go ahead and guess he's in the dark about everything anyway, so he probably doesn't have much he could say or get excited about even if he wanted to. :/

Captain_jovi 07-23-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1265877)
I'm also not sure who we're supposed to be judging him against here... from what I've seen Dave mostly tweets about his Broadway shows and Jon mostly tweets about his son's wine/the soul foundation. Tweet for tweet I'd bet Phil's probably mentioned the band/tour/album more than any other band member.

But also what do people want him to say? The release date is now months away and he has commented on that being changed; and it's nearly a year and a half since he recorded most of his parts for this record, and I don't think he's had much to do with the new songs (if anything.) I'd wager there's a good chance he didn't even know these two songs were getting released unless there's been any promo appearances planned.

Whenever anyone asks about touring and promo his stock reply is 'you'll probably know before I do' so I'm going to go ahead and guess he's in the dark about everything anyway, so he probably doesn't have much he could say or get excited about even if he wanted to. :/

I mean that's fair enough. I think the entire band kind of dropped the ball when it came to talking about Limitless on social media. They're not FORCED to say and promo anything but it felt like such a quiet release ya know?

I'd love to know his thoughts on the few new songs. I feel like the credits are being honest because he's not listed as a performer on American Reckoning but is on the others, there's no real reason to not list him sometimes if he wasn't actually playing on the things he is.

JackieBlue 07-23-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOriginalJez (Post 1265877)

I'm not judging him at all. I'm not even being critical. Just making an observation about the contrast I noticed between the early stages of the album when Phil-X (and, yes, David) were posting almost daily about it vs the recent past when we've heard next to nothing from either of them. For that matter, I don't recall seeing anything from Shanks either.

I'm not criticizing anyone, or saying it should be different than what it is. It just seems to me like the only one who has any interest in 2020 is Jon; and even he doesn't seem to care all that much.

steel_horse75 07-23-2020 09:28 PM

https://www.facebook.com/19992562080...7505990742081/

Look at the comments. Recent releases are driving the fans away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk