Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Other Bands (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mr. Big (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=11481)

jovilaura_fi 05-19-2003 11:30 AM

Mr. Big

I know I've posted about Mr. Big before but I wanted to start a new topic so I won't ruin Panama's guitar solo thread http://www.bonjovicentral.com/jovita...ic.php?t=11767 with my ravings ;)

I'll take the things from that thread here, we can keep Panama's thread clear. ;)

jovilaura_fi 05-19-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letitrock
Devilson and Laura, respectively a man and woman with good taste! i'd add Richie Kotzen to the Mr Big list also though since my favourite at the moment is Green Tinted Sixties Mind (intro at least!)

8)

But Richie Kotzen didn't play the guitar on Green-tinted, it was Paul Gilbert. Richie replaced Paul in Mr. Big only in 1996, and G-t is written in 1991.

Any idea from which year McRock's live Mr.Big album is from?

And do you know if Paul Gilbert plays in any band now?

jovilaura_fi 05-19-2003 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christo
Laura, you would have to easily be the biggest Mr Big fan I've ever heard of. Where did this inspiration come from? :? :wink:

Their music. 8)

I'm the only person I know who after hearing To be with you got the album. Actually if was the first ever cd I had, and my dad bought it for me for Christmas 92.

The first time I put it on the cd player, and heard the amazing opening, with Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan playing their guitars (I don't really know what Billy was doing playing the guitar since he is the bassist... maybe that's what bassists do sometimes, I don't know) with Makita cordless drills in harmony, it just sent shivers down my spine! And the way that builds into Daddy, Lover... is just amazing! And the rest of the album (Lean into it) is equally powerful.

I've liked them ever since, but kinda forgot about them in all my Jovi addiction, but recently I've started listening to them again and it's just amazing!!! Eric Martin (the singer) has a great voice (Tom, it reminds me of your voice a little bit ;) ), Paul Gilbert is of course a great guitarist, Billy a good bassist, altho my hero of the band was always Pat Torpey, the drummer. His percussion on To be with you... *sigh*

Mr. Big plays the sort of music I wish BJ today would play... Strong, powerful guitar rock, with great melody, solos, singing, lyrics... All of the players in the band get their solos, and they are very varied imo. They have some great ideas, and great music. :D

I think, Chris and Tom, you will at least have an idea of what I'm talking about after the cds arrive... I advice you both to listen to Lean into it first, followed by Bump ahead. There are no songs on either of the albums that I don't like, none. It's all so great... ;)

Bah. Sorry, I'm raving. And I've said it over and over, I don't know one single thing about music or music playing, I just know what I like and don't like.

And Tom, I'm glad you like Green-tinted... cause it's one of my favourite Mr. Big songs, absolutely. But I'm sure you'll find that they have even better songs than that. :D

letitrock 05-19-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovilaura_fi
Quote:

Devilson and Laura, respectively a man and woman with good taste! i'd add Richie Kotzen to the Mr Big list also though since my favourite at the moment is Green Tinted Sixties Mind (intro at least!)

8)

But Richie Kotzen didn't play the guitar on Green-tinted, it was Paul Gilbert. Richie replaced Paul in Mr. Big only in 1996, and G-t is written in 1991.

Any idea from which year McRock's live Mr.Big album is from?

And do you know if Paul Gilbert plays in any band now?

i've got a live version with Kotzen playing on it - I'll send it you when I'm back at college.

Mike's isn't live - it's studio ... very good but a lot of acoustic stuff on it...

i'll check into paul gilbert - i know he does lots of guitar shows in the UK (or used to).

letitrock 05-19-2003 12:08 PM

I can't wait Laura! :D

Billy Sheehan is easily the greatest bass player i have ever seen live - if you know anything aobut Steve Vai let me just say Billy was playing many of the guitar harmonies on bass!!! (virtually impossible for us mortal guitarists to do just on guitar!)

He's also a pretty good vocalist, but his bass parts are amazing... so much better than the root notes we get from Alec/Hugh*

*this is why i always liked the intro to All I Wants is Everything, or Fear

Christo 05-19-2003 12:16 PM

Laura and Tom.....all I can say is that looking into music at the depth that you do, it's all kinda new to me. I just like to read all these types of things and see what it is that people really look for in music.

Tom, I am a blank sheet, my friend. Get writing! :wink:

BTW Laura, did you send an entire CD of Mr. Big or is there other stuff on it? :D I'm looking foward to it all the same. :wink:

letitrock 05-19-2003 12:55 PM

you want me to write all over you?

i've only heard maybe 8 songs by Mr Big - but all are very good! I always remember To Be With You since i think it was quite a big hit in the UK also... possibly number 1 - i certainly remember it anyway about 9 or 10 years old.

In fact that song and one by Shakespeare Sister, as well as Annie Lennox and Genesis were the songs that i remember that year by

anyway christo (and laura if you've not heard it)... go to billy sheehan's website and on the media section download a cover of Deep Purple's "Burn" by Mr Big...

Eric Martin doesn't do the infamous Glenn Hughes screams but the main thing to listen to is the guitar and bass solos!

Billy does Jon Lord's classical Hammond Organ solo on Bass Guitar!!!!! Arpeggioed

Christo 05-19-2003 01:03 PM

Yeah, I'll do that, but first:
Quote:

Arpeggioed

:shock: WTF? :lol:

jovilaura_fi 05-19-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Arpeggioed

arpeggio. n, pl -gios. 1 a chord whose notes are played in rapid succession rather than simultaneously. 2 an ascending and descending figuration used in practising the piano, voice, etc. [C18: from Italian, from arpeggiare to perform on the harp, from arpa HARP]

Christo 05-19-2003 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovilaura_fi
Quote:

Quote:

Arpeggioed

arpeggio. n, pl -gios. 1 a chord whose notes are played in rapid succession rather than simultaneously. 2 an ascending and descending figuration used in practising the piano, voice, etc. [C18: from Italian, from arpeggiare to perform on the harp, from arpa HARP]

Thanks La. :wink: