Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

rolo_tomachi 11-11-2020 06:40 PM

Here a review and comparative of Bruce Springsteen new Abum with Bon Jovi: "Bruce Springsteen keeps his fans, Bon Jovi sinks"
https://translate.google.es/translat...vi-se-hunde%2F

Basically Bruce keeps his fans and Bon Jovi is not doing it.

Faceman 11-11-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270126)
Dry County didn't succeed as a single when the band was almost at it's peak in Europe. What makes you think Blood in the Water would do any better when it's fanbase is much much much muuuuuch lower?

I do agree Beautiful Drug has a better shot. But I think Thinny is right, no matter what they put out it's an uphill battle to live up to the name and the hits. Releasing lowest common denominator singles has always been the norm and if those don't work, it's not like the deep album cuts will save the day. I'd love to see them take chances and try but if the poppier stuff doesn't land why should they?

I think all three of you are right.
Limitless and Do What You Can were bad choices to introduce the album.
Blood In The Water or Beautiful Drug would have been better choices but they most probably wouldn't have sold one album more with them either.

I think it's a problem every "old" act has. When you've been around a certain period of time I think there comes a point where it is impossible to have a new big hit anymore because everybody's just looking at the classics.
When you have a look at all those big acts...Bon Jovi, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC or even U2...none of them had a number 1 single in the last 20 years. (oh, the Stones just did with Ghost Town...damn it!)
The best shot those kind of acts have are the albums. The Stones or AC/DC will always have No. 1 records because 1) they're considered cool and 2) they don't overflow the market with new music. Springsteen is loved by his fans, by the critics and by music fans - so getting his albums to No. 1 is no magic either.
But Bon Jovi weren't considered cool even during their prime. They could convince a lot of casuals to buy their music, but they never were accepted in the holy halls of Rock & Roll. And besides that, since 2000 their output of new music and their touring were just insane. People grew tired of them, even most of the die-hards. And with the decline in quality those lost fans won't come back. SO here we are - 68.000 copies sold in the first week.

Johny 11-11-2020 08:29 PM

Honestly, I'm kinda sick of the camparisons with Bruce. Maybe it's because one of my friends is a huge fan and teases me/us anytime it is possible.

There are tons of acts that do certain things better. I listen to a lot of other music and still can enjoy Bon Jovi and I don't need to say this or that someone else does better. I know the comparison is obvious not only that they are both from New Jersey but the way Jon takes inspiration from the Boss. Unfotunately once he does something which is not typical BJ and something that fits his destroyed voice he accused of trying to be like Bruce. Actually I'm so annoyed by Bruce that I haven't listened to his album yet. He is amazing live but I consider his record rather boring. And the first single was extremely boring, the second one was a typical Estreet Band rock song. Still no need for me to listen to the album.

I'm really happay about what we got last BJ's album. Still go back to it as a full album (only the original order). The two ultimate songs I can't get out of my head are Blood In The Water and Lower The Flag.

Captain_jovi 11-11-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1270131)
I think all three of you are right.
Limitless and Do What You Can were bad choices to introduce the album.
Blood In The Water or Beautiful Drug would have been better choices but they most probably wouldn't have sold one album more with them either.

I think it's a problem every "old" act has. When you've been around a certain period of time I think there comes a point where it is impossible to have a new big hit anymore because everybody's just looking at the classics.
When you have a look at all those big acts...Bon Jovi, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC or even U2...none of them had a number 1 single in the last 20 years. (oh, the Stones just did with Ghost Town...damn it!)
The best shot those kind of acts have are the albums. The Stones or AC/DC will always have No. 1 records because 1) they're considered cool and 2) they don't overflow the market with new music. Springsteen is loved by his fans, by the critics and by music fans - so getting his albums to No. 1 is no magic either.
But Bon Jovi weren't considered cool even during their prime. They could convince a lot of casuals to buy their music, but they never were accepted in the holy halls of Rock & Roll. And besides that, since 2000 their output of new music and their touring were just insane. People grew tired of them, even most of the die-hards. And with the decline in quality those lost fans won't come back. SO here we are - 68.000 copies sold in the first week.

You said it better than I ever could. It doesn't matter what the band chose as a single, their last two hits:

One of them required them to work with Max Martin and follow the trend of boy bands
The other one required them to cross over to the country market. Those are the two unarguable, big hits from the last TWENTY. YEARS. Putting out an album cut we all super enjoy isn't a guaranteed anything, going to what the most amount of people will like is and, sorry to say, Limitless and DWYC fit that bill to a T.

jovifan85 11-11-2020 08:42 PM

Will JBJ be concerned how "2020" did? The music industry is different from when Bon Jovi were at their peak.

I love 2020 as an album ( except Unbroken), should have included Luv can and Shine on the CD's. Not that I saying it would improved the figures.

Will JBJ Change his approach? No. He's nearing 60, I'm happy if JBJ released an album like "2020", "HAND", "TC", "THINFS", and BB. I never cared about the sales, it was and still is the music.

If he was after popularity and sales he would change his music.

But his vocal issues, limits him to the music what he does now. And what the hardcore fans may want of the sound of the 80's/90's......which they are never going to get.

2020, proved to me Bon Jovi aren't a legacy band, but people may argue the sales for it proved the opposite.

Captain_jovi 11-11-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1270134)
Will JBJ be concerned how "2020" did? The music industry is different from when Bon Jovi were at their peak.

I love 2020 as an album ( except Unbroken), should have included Luv can and Shine on the CD's. Not that I saying it would improved the figures.

Will JBJ Change his approach? No. He's nearing 60, I'm happy if JBJ released an album like "2020", "HAND", "TC", "THINFS", and BB.

But his vocal issues, limits him to the music hardcore fans may want......which are never going to get.

2020, proved to me Bon Jovi aren't a legacy band, but people may argue the sales for it proved the opposite.

I don't think he'll be surprised, it's not like he was in the dark with how previous albums sold. They were propped up to look like they sold well but he knows the real numbers. I really hope he just accepts it and does what makes him happy. No more songs like Limitless if it doesn't lead to more record sales one would hope.

jovifan85 11-11-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270135)
I don't think he'll be surprised, it's not like he was in the dark with how previous albums sold. They were propped up to look like they sold well but he knows the real numbers. I really hope he just accepts it and does what makes him happy. No more songs like Limitless if it doesn't lead to more record sales one would hope.

I do think, after feedback to fans favorites of "2020" he will have an idea of what to do as singles for the next album....one hopes.....

Litneg 11-11-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan85 (Post 1270134)

Will JBJ Change his approach? No. He's nearing 60, I'm happy if JBJ released an album like "2020", "HAND", "TC", "THINFS", and BB. I never cared about the sales, it was and still is the music.

But his vocal issues, limits him to the music what he does now. And what the hardcore fans may want of the sound of the 80's/90's......which they are never going to get.

I think Jon said that he "knew" 2020 wouldn't make to the top of charts 'cause this was a different kind of record.

As far as I read/heard he is pretty happy with it.

angelsambo 11-11-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270126)
Dry County didn't succeed as a single when the band was almost at it's peak in Europe. What makes you think Blood in the Water would do any better when it's fanbase is much much much muuuuuch lower?

i would put blood in the water more in the same category of songs as bed of roses, this ain't a love song and always and bon jovi is/was famous for big(power) ballads

Rdkopper 11-11-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1270116)
I love the “unplugged” version of Atlantic city.

68,000 copies world wide. That’s savage.

On a side note I’ve not listened to the album for about a month. I’ll go back to it at some point. Still like Blood in the water, Luv Can and Lower the flag.

Just too many other albums with songs I like a lot more to listen to. Really into the new Bruce album and looking forward to this Friday with new Ac/DC I got the ltd edition picture vinyl coming. I was also lucky enough to get the record store day release of Skid Rows 1991 classic Slave to the Grind on double Red vinyl with 4 bonus tracks. So that is on heavy rotation. New Foo fighters song is decent as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slave is such an amazing album. Too bad they couldn't keep that style and production going throughout the 90s.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Thinny 11-11-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270137)
I think Jon said that he "knew" 2020 wouldn't make to the top of charts 'cause this was a different kind of record.

That's Jon's way of saving face. He "knew" that 2020 wouldn't make it to the top of the charts once he knew that there wouldn't be any ticket bundles to put it there. He would have been well aware that without that they are not even a top 10 artist in the US, never mind No. 1

Is the next album going to suddenly become a number 1 album? Of course not. Not without some gimmick anyways.

Over a month later I'm already struggling with 2020 to be honest. I gave it a listen today and it was more miss that hit. Do What You Can is catchy and I liked it initially, but it grew old quick. Limitless, nah. American Reckoning works for what it is. Beautiful Drug as the first song that still grabs me. Story Of Love - yawn. Let It Rain - yes it sounds like Land of Hope And Dreams at the start but it's a high point for me. Lower The Flag - nope. Blood On The Water - still the albums highlight. Brothers In Arms - forgettable. Unbroken - still hate it. Shine - very good. Luv Can - Excellent.

Rdkopper 11-11-2020 11:33 PM

I know this wouldn't have made a difference with sales etc, but Jon should have left the album as is. This is an album that started in 2018 and was recorded during 2019...When you go back and adjust things a year later, I feel it takes the magic out... He was in a diffent mind and different studio during that writing/recording session... The 2 added songs are forced and you can tell they came from a differnt recording session... I also have a feeling that the 4 songs that got tweaked were initially much better too.

Too many repeat lyrics. How many times can you hear the same words over and over like "Protest, Take A Knee, Etc" on an album... It's like saying the same things over and over again but in different ways.

musiccritic101 11-12-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1270142)
It's like saying the same things over and over again but in different ways.

Up until '2020' that's what Jon had been doing with It's My Life pretty much repeating the same thing over and over just with different song titles but with near identical lyrical content and the same stale pop-like formula.

'2020' is a change in my book, it's neither good or bad. I just hope Jon doesn't carry stuff from this album on to the next record, I don't wanna end up with Do What You Can Part 2,3 or 4.

Captain_jovi 11-12-2020 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1270138)
i would put blood in the water more in the same category of songs as bed of roses, this ain't a love song and always and bon jovi is/was famous for big(power) ballads

Sure, in style and grandeur you're not wrong but what puts those in the same category is they're all larger than life love songs that are enteral due to romantic nature. They do so well because they're played at weddings, sent to and from loved ones and are a staple in a lot of memories. I just can't hear Blood in the Water getting that amount of exposure, it's too "smart" for that category.

steel_horse75 11-12-2020 08:38 AM

2020: The New Album

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1270139)
Slave is such an amazing album. Too bad they couldn't keep that style and production going throughout the 90s.

I do love Subhuman Race but can see why some dont like it. It was a great tour. Those first 3 albums were great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Litneg 11-12-2020 03:56 PM

Does anybody have this article complete?

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/rea...tal-era/081879

eddie73 11-12-2020 05:26 PM

Not sure if success can be done by physical copy’s / purchased downloads any more . Just read an article in music week and it says in 5 weeks the 2020 album has had over 12 million streams , that’s some numbers . I’m still old school and buy cds of my favourite artists but also stream off Spotify . The days of even selling 5 million albums let alone 20 million are long gone

eddie73 11-12-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1270149)
Does anybody have this article complete?

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/rea...tal-era/081879

Just seen this post , but already posted response about it above

Thinny 11-12-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1270150)
Not sure if success can be done by physical copy’s / purchased downloads any more . Just read an article in music week and it says in 5 weeks the 2020 album has had over 12 million streams , that’s some numbers . I’m still old school and buy cds of my favourite artists but also stream off Spotify . The days of even selling 5 million albums let alone 20 million are long gone

It would be interesting to know how the label have come to the 12 million streams number, but I believe that it may not be by complete album streams, but by songs. So a 12 track album that gets 12 million streams, is really only 1 million streams. I know you can't work it out exactly as some tracks will have much more plays than others, so it's technically not a million plays of the whole album, but if that's correct it's not as impressive as the label want it to sound. When you also consider that a lot of those will be the same people listening to it, it may only be a few hundred thousand people. Impossible to know really, but labels will always manipulate the information to look better than it actually is...

steel_horse75 11-12-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1270150)

You only need to play a song for 30 seconds for it to be classed as a 1 play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

eddie73 11-12-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1270153)
You only need to play a song for 30 seconds for it to be classed as a 1 play.

Oh , is it lol I have no idea how it all works mate . The only criticism I have is that they have changed sound so many times in the last few years they don’t even know what their market is now , not sure if they even have one anymore . You watch ac/dc smash jovi out of the water re sales ... yeah just like Quo ... a 3 chord bar band whose structure hasn’t changed ever , but **** me they just get better n better and know their audience .

steel_horse75 11-12-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 1270154)
Oh , is it lol I have no idea how it all works mate . The only criticism I have is that they have changed sound so many times in the last few years they don’t even know what their market is now , not sure if they even have one anymore . You watch ac/dc smash jovi out of the water re sales ... yeah just like Quo ... a 3 chord bar band whose structure hasn’t changed ever , but **** me they just get better n better and know their audience .

Yep looking to getting my ac/dc LP tomorrow!!

68,000 sales suggest they have a gathering rather than a market [emoji6]

eddie73 11-13-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1270155)
Yep looking to getting my ac/dc LP tomorrow!!

68,000 sales suggest they have a gathering rather than a market [emoji6]

Should get mine this weekend, but just downloaded on spotify and its the dogs bollox .

steel_horse75 11-13-2020 12:43 PM

Mines just arrived!

rolo_tomachi 11-13-2020 07:40 PM

When was the last time Bon Jovi performed on SNL?

Captain_jovi 11-13-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1270158)
When was the last time Bon Jovi performed on SNL?

2009, When We Were Beautiful and Superman Tonight.

Javier 11-14-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1270159)
2009, When We Were Beautiful and Superman Tonight.

I've never been able to find that performance on YouTube or elsewhere!! Weird!

Captain_jovi 11-14-2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1270160)

Same! I used to have the full episode downloaded but lost it in a hard drive crash a few years ago.

bonjovi90 11-14-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1270160)

Not really. SNL generally gets uploads of their broadcasts taken down with copyright claims.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Javier 11-14-2020 10:51 PM

Yeah but usually there's other places and torrent sites where they could be found. Nothing on this. Even on Hulu, that episode has the performances edited out.....

Kathleen 11-15-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1270168)
Yeah but usually there's other places and torrent sites where they could be found. Nothing on this. Even on Hulu, that episode has the performances edited out.....

Get in touch - are you on my file sharing board? I can share this with you.

Javier 11-16-2020 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1270169)
Get in touch - are you on my file sharing board? I can share this with you.

I vaguely remember the starting days of that board but I don't think I ever joined because I'venever been much of a collector so I didn'treally have anythingto share :-) ....

steel_horse75 11-17-2020 10:05 PM

Not that its relevant anymore but the talk is the vinyl is delayed until Feb.

No idea why. Other bands whose albums have only just come out have their LPs out.

Maybe lack of demand for this album? Who knows.

Litneg 11-18-2020 10:59 PM

So FINALLY one month and a half later, "2020" starts being sold in Brazil! Standard edition with 10 songs only... This waiting was really odd.

bonboy25 11-19-2020 12:45 AM

Same with New Zealand, I'm struggling to find it anywhere. I found one place selling the normal version but I really want the deluxe version. Just doesnt exist here.

Thinny 11-19-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1270238)
Same with New Zealand, I'm struggling to find it anywhere. I found one place selling the normal version but I really want the deluxe version. Just doesnt exist here.

I don't think the Deluxe version is on CD, just digital. Apart from the Japanese edition. Or is it?

Litneg 11-19-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinny (Post 1270252)
I don't think the Deluxe version is on CD, just digital. Apart from the Japanese edition. Or is it?

I think I saw a deluxe version in a few countries apart from Japan (Russia, maybe?) .

Rdkopper 11-21-2020 12:31 AM

In this interview, if you read between the lines, Country Radio refused to play Do What You Can because it's too political. Then Jon tried pulling that "Topical" spin and they told him to F Off.

Hollywood might eat all that shit up that Jon pushes out but you're not going to convince a bunch a Souther Rednecks.

https://youtu.be/Kvpj8XzYE60

Adam D 11-21-2020 12:52 PM

How in the world is Do What You Can a political song?

Because it realizes it's an actual disease that has killed millions of people?

There is absolutely nothing in the song that's a political statement, unless somehow "do what you can to help others during a global pandemic" counts.

People are really grasping at straws to make this album something that it's not.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

james_d 11-21-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam D (Post 1270327)
How in the world is Do What You Can a political song?

Because it realizes it's an actual disease that has killed millions of people?

There is absolutely nothing in the song that's a political statement, unless somehow "do what you can to help others during a global pandemic" counts.

People are really grasping at straws to make this album something that it's not.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

American Reckoning and BITW are about as explicitly political as BJ will ever get. I agree thought that DWYC isn't political. It's a social song at the most.