Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Kathleen 04-27-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1279493)
It's nice to find another Burning Bridges fan. It was supposed to be just a throw away when Jon was fighting with his label, but I have always really liked it.

I have always liked it too - I just took it out of my car's CD player for the first time in ages.

Kriegentragen 04-27-2022 06:09 PM

2020: The New Album

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1279493)
It's nice to find another Burning Bridges fan. It was supposed to be just a throw away when Jon was fighting with his label, but I have always really liked it.

Sans Life is beautiful, I think it’s a great album, and the closest to “experimental” Bon Jovi ever got.

Also, it gave us the best Bon Jovi hard rock song from the 2010s: We don’t run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

efpg0708 02-07-2023 12:26 AM

I didn’t like this album when it came out. Decided to give it another try after almost 3 years. Unfortunately I disliked it even more.

Limitless has to be one of the worst songs ever released by the band. None of the other songs (except Blood in the Water) do anything for me. Luv Can has the potential, but Jon’s vocals are very doctored and he still sounds bad …

It’s a shame, because Blood in the Water is a fantastic song.

But overall, easily the worst BJ album IMO.

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.J. Always 02-07-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efpg0708 (Post 1283952)
I didn’t like this album when it came out. Decided to give it another try after almost 3 years. Unfortunately I disliked it even more.

Limitless has to be one of the worst songs ever released by the band. None of the other songs (except Blood in the Water) do anything for me. Luv Can has the potential, but Jon’s vocals are very doctored and he still sounds bad …

It’s a shame, because Blood in the Water is a fantastic song.

But overall, easily the worst BJ album IMO.

Eduardo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be the only person in the world who likes Limitless. I will definitely agree with you that it is the worst BJ album--the only one I didn't buy.

Javier 02-08-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1283955)
I must be the only person in the world who likes Limitless. I will definitely agree with you that it is the worst BJ album--the only one I didn't buy.

I also like the song. I just wish it went further than it does, it's just so samey and static for lack of a better description. In fact, every "rock" song on 2020 is that way except Brothers in Arms. Weirdly enough, the 2 songs from the album that stuck around my playlist and come on shuffle every once in a while are Shine and Luv Can.

Litneg 02-08-2023 11:56 AM

To me (singles aside), I still think it's the best produced record since The Circle.

About the songs I still listen often to Beautiful Drug and Luv Can. These two are among my favorite BJ's tracks.

B.J. Always 02-09-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1283963)
To me (singles aside), I still think it's the best produced record since The Circle.

About the songs I still listen often to Beautiful Drug and Luv Can. These two are among my favorite BJ's tracks.

I know nothing about record production so I don't really understand what you are saying?

liljovi93 02-09-2023 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1283963)

It is. It's the best Shanks produced album (Bon Jovi wise) so far, by a mile.

Just a shame the majority of songs are shit.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 02-10-2023 08:48 AM

i bought it on double gold vinyl and until late last year was still sealed so I sold it as i would never play it.
I have the Japanese CD but again, Ive played it 2 or 3 times.

I love blood in water and enjoy Luv can and unbroken (oddly) but the rest bore me.

The last 2 or 3 Jovi albums have no place in their discography. Just a bunch of boring songs that i have no desire to listen too bar a few.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

steel_horse75 02-10-2023 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1283961)
I also like the song. I just wish it went further than it does, it's just so samey and static for lack of a better description. In fact, every "rock" song on 2020 is that way except Brothers in Arms. Weirdly enough, the 2 songs from the album that stuck around my playlist and come on shuffle every once in a while are Shine and Luv Can.

and yet these are the 2 Jon dropped for awful songs such as do what you can.

Litneg 02-10-2023 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1283971)
I know nothing about record production so I don't really understand what you are saying?

It's like... the voice and instruments they sound "clean", "live" and without that damn wall of sound which made a loudy noise and got worse from record to record (from HAND with It's peak on WAN).

Xavi 02-10-2023 02:31 PM

The other day I listened to some Bon Jovi in my own playlist and i thought after listening to Dry County and Standing how you can almost "see" each member of the band playing in the studio while listening to the song.
After that some Shanks era songs came and it was just the opposite.You can hear nothing but a big ball of sound that seems to come from a computer and not from a human being playing an instrument.

B.J. Always 02-11-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1283983)
It's like... the voice and instruments they sound "clean", "live" and without that damn wall of sound which made a loudy noise and got worse from record to record (from HAND with It's peak on WAN).

Maybe I'm too used to a wall of sound? I was a big fan of Phil Spector not his life, but his music. Could you give me a song title from BJ that you like and then give me a song title that you don't like?

Litneg 02-11-2023 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. Always (Post 1283989)
Maybe I'm too used to a wall of sound? I was a big fan of Phil Spector not his life, but his music. Could you give me a song title from BJ that you like and then give me a song title that you don't like?

Sticking on 2020: Limitless (good instrumentals, bad mixing) X Luv Can (among my favorites BJ songs)

General: Army of One (can't stand this one) X A Teardrop to the Sea

B.J. Always 02-12-2023 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litneg (Post 1283993)
Sticking on 2020: Limitless (good instrumentals, bad mixing) X Luv Can (among my favorites BJ songs)

General: Army of One (can't stand this one) X A Teardrop to the Sea

Thank you so much. I fully understand what you are saying and what you like.

I don't like Army of One, but it has nothing to do with production for me I just didn't like that song. I like Limitless. It was the only song on 2020 that I did like. I loved the album Burning Bridges. It was just supposed to be a throw away due to Jon's problem with his record company, but I thought it was a great album.

steel_horse75 01-31-2024 09:04 AM

So my dad dropped back my Cd of this after nearly 2 years of borrowing it. I thought ive not heard this album in that time (I think) so I thought Id stick it on.
Done the ususal and programmed the songs in which was the correct order before they tagged on the newly written ones and drop the 2 which become the bonus tracks. So heres my thoughts....

Beautiful Drug - Good opener and a nice little solo.

Unbroken - Dont know what it is about this song but i reallly like it - my only issue is that it shouldnt have been track 2 as it kills the energetic start.

Limitless - Pure muck. To me sounds like AI its so generic and that awful bridge still sounds terrible. Jon sounds really poor here. Worst lead single. Worst single full stop unless you're called Do what you can...

Luv Can - Reall good song this, no idea why they decided to drop this from the original and kept others. Great ending with Jon sounding good,

Brothers in Arms - Back to as close to classic Jovi as they are nowadays. Good song.

Lower the flag - I dont mind this - not a fan of the "if theres something we can talk about it" part but other than that its good. Again though, it follows a rockier song so theres no momentum on this album.

Let it Rain - back to a rockier song and Jon sounds good here with some raspy vocals at the end.

Shine - Its not bad a bit nothingy and again kills the flow,

Blood in the Water - This is the best song they have done in over 20 years. Yes it sounds like Dry County but I think its meant to but I do have one gripe...Wheres the solo and wheres the playout solo? This song couldve been epic and although its their best song for decades it still somehow disappoints a bit due to the lack of solos. Reminds me that Devil in the Temple on THINFS falls short in this way as well.

American Reckoning - Song does nothing for me im affraid, I get Jon wanted to write about it but the song just passes me by.

If you are wondering where Do What you Can is - Well i refuse to listen to this one as its just...rubbish.
Theres a reason Jon struggled to get this on the radio. Awful.

So after 4 years I think i finally like most of this album but I dont like the flow of it as it seems to be 1 fast and 1 slow. There are parts of songs i dont like but i can ignore that.

tobi is an animal 02-26-2024 07:25 PM

Luv Can and Let It Rain are about as good as one can expect at this point. Brother In Arms wasn't bad except for those emotionless annoying nananas. I also don't mind Shine and Story Of Love.

Not much use for the rest especially Do What You Can and American Reckoning which are the two worst Bon Jovi songs ever.

Rdkopper 02-26-2024 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobi is an animal (Post 1288239)
Luv Can and Let It Rain are about as good as one can expect at this point. Brother In Arms wasn't bad except for those emotionless annoying nananas. I also don't mind Shine and Story Of Love.

Not much use for the rest especially Do What You Can and American Reckoning which are the two worst Bon Jovi songs ever.

Do What You Can and American Reckoning are the only 2 songs in the entire Bon Jovi catelog that I refuse to listen to ever again. They are not even part of my Entire Catelog Playlist, that's how much those songs turn me off.

From the political aspect to Jon just vocally destroying all the fan versions on Piano prior to the studio release, I ****ing hate them. 2020 was only 10 songs and these 2 songs destroyed that album imo.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk