Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Alphavictim 07-14-2020 03:40 PM

Here's the thing: People complained for years that JBJ used (the wrong?) outside writers to carter to the market, sang contrived lyrics he didn't believe in, did songs just to have a product out and tour.

None of this applies to these new songs. You may not like them sonically, but this is basically where his mind is at now. It would be 100% fair to move on now, without anger or whatever, because it's not gonna get more apparent than this that this is who he is now as an artist.

The songs were written without the chase for a hit single, on his own, about stuff he felt he needed to process. I mean... I'd prefer Richie on them. I'd prefer better choruses. I'd prefer better vocal takes. But this is essentially half of the box set, as far as the nature of the material goes.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 03:41 PM

Well, Do What You Can, it is logical that it is a single, but I feel that its best time to release it is over, although who knows, the data shows that soon there will be another outbreak of the virus, so it is likely that releasing the song as a single is a good play.

I think Jon has to risk and (die trying) to move this entire album with meaningful songs that fit the times... and forget those artificial catchphrase songs and repetitive.

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265523)
I've just developed a super low tolerance threshold for bullshit over the years :)

Wait until you get 43 and not 33 ;-)

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265524)
Agenda meaning delivering a specific message. Limitless ABSOLUTELY has the agenda of life being worth living, do the best you can,reach for the stars. Saturday Night, you have a point. It was released as a single I guess but not promoted as such if that makes sense? But you're right.

Hmm, don't know if I completely agree on Limitless, but yeah you could see it as "empowering" the same way as the previous songs in this vein...

Saturday Night is a special case, because we know it was written by Jon & Richie back in 2005 or something, so most of our complaints wouldn't really apply because they/he did use to write different/better stuff then...

jovifan93 07-14-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1265536)
:-):):)

Isn't that the truth;)

It is. Well, for some at least, I guess.

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265556)
Hmm, don't know if I completely agree on Limitless, but yeah you could see it as "empowering" the same way as the previous songs in this vein...

Saturday Night is a special case, because we know it was written by Jon & Richie back in 2005 or something, so most of our complaints wouldn't really apply because they/he did use to write different/better stuff then...

Nah, it was recorded for The Circle, 2009.

But I see what you're saying. I'm just plum-tired of empowerment songs, the well is dry. Would rather boy-girl songs to be honest.

jovifan93 07-14-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265558)
Nah, it was recorded for The Circle, 2009.

But I see what you're saying. I'm just plum-tired of empowerment songs, the well is dry. Would rather boy-girl songs to be honest.

I know what you mean. I'm Your Man was a nice surprise, though that probably stems from 1998 or something ;-)

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265561)
I know what you mean. I'm Your Man was a nice surprise, though that probably stems from 1998 or something ;-)

I've always gotten SUCH a "right before Crush" vibe from it! Shanks having a co-write on it though kind of debunks that.

JoviForever 07-14-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265546)
no one needs another ballad,
unbroken,american reckoning and now do what you can....**** you jon

I appreciate the sentiment of all 3 songs but they are not singles and certainly not songs that are going to sell the album!

bonjovi90 07-14-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviForever (Post 1265566)
I appreciate the sentiment of all 3 songs but they are not singles and certainly not songs that are going to sell the album!

And it's become underwhelming to say the least. I get the idea and intention (also the one that would only cause backlash here) behind it, but it's starting to feel bland because they're musically (from what we've heard thus far) all pretty boring and I have a feeling that Lower The Flag will go in the same direction. Even half a week after its release, I still couldn't even humm American Reckoning since nothing of that song sticks in my head.

Rdkopper 07-14-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265568)
And it's become underwhelming to say the least. I get the idea and intention (also the one that would only cause backlash here) behind it, but it's starting to feel bland because they're musically (from what we've heard thus far) all pretty boring and I have a feeling that Lower The Flag will go in the same direction. Even half a week after its release, I still couldn't even humm American Reckoning since nothing of that song sticks in my head.

Exactly!!! All elements that go into making a song good to great have been removed. Singing in higher keys, note changes, hooks, melody.

When it comes to songs like this, the right chorus is needed and should contain some , if not all, the above. Something to grab you.

Think of a song like Weeding Day. The song is pretty bland until Jon hits the bridge and goes up a few notes and finishes the final verse in a higher key. In my opinion, that's the deal breaker and had always been Jon's thing. He somehow forgot that amongst many other factors that made him stand out from the rest.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265568)

Yep. I think "Lower The Flag" will be the "Scars On This Guitar" for this album.

Jovi98 07-14-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1265561)

I'm Your Man for me is an outtake from TC or WAN.

Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning is officially an outtake from TC, but according to Jon in 2015 the song (but he wasn't sure)was probably 8 or 10 years old, then could be an outtake from LH.

https://youtu.be/vha-3y6Tyas

Also Who Would You Die For i think is an outtake from TC, Do you agree with me guys?

Alphavictim 07-14-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265564)
I've always gotten SUCH a "right before Crush" vibe from it! Shanks having a co-write on it though kind of debunks that.

Ever notice how Love Ain't Nothing But A Four Letter Word gained two additional writers going from the demo to the final version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi98 (Post 1265572)
Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning is officially an outtake from TC, but according to Jon in 2015 the song (but he wasn't sure)was probably 8 or 10 years old, then could be an outtake from LH.

It's convenient for Jon to say "this was written BEFORE the Nickelback song that sounds a lot like it and was all over the radio when we were writing for the The Circle album", but I doubt it's true.

bonjovi90 07-14-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Also Who Would You Die For i think is an outtake from TC, Do you agree with me guys?

Jon never, ever gets these facts right anyway. It most likely was written somewhere in 2008 I'd say with them ripping off Nickelback :D The 10 year old one, however, was Blind Love.
I agree with others that I'm Your Man sounds just like it could've been taken from the Sex Sells sessions and reworked. Probably wasn't, but it sounds like that.

Jovi98 07-14-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265575)
It most likely was written somewhere in 2008 I'd say with them ripping off Nickelback :D .

Yeah, It's probably the real story.. :D

Rdkopper 07-14-2020 08:43 PM

Wasn't Saturday Night Gave Me Sunday Morning on one of those Circle song lists?

And there was also a torrent where some fans "supposedly" heard it with Richie's guitar solo... I think it was Seb which means it's total bullshit.

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Watching this video ... Jon is a bit of a jerk. He despises and underestimates songs like A Teardrop to the Sea, We Dont Run, Who Would You Die For. They are much better songs than all THINFS. He even realized late that We Dont Run should have made the right album.

In the vaults are the interesting songs, I'm sure.

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265578)
Watching this video ... Jon is a bit of a jerk. He despises and underestimates songs like A Teardrop to the Sea, We Dont Run, Who Would You Die For. They are much better songs than all THINFS. He even realized late that We Dont Run should have made the right album.

In the vaults are the interesting songs, I'm sure.

He repeatedly says he doesn't hate the album and thinks theirs some good songs on it, how does that turn into "Jon is a jerk who despises...."

rolo_tomachi 07-14-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265580)
He repeatedly says he doesn't hate the album and thinks theirs some good songs on it, how does that turn into "Jon is a jerk who despises...."

Because he doesn't want to be bothered about the album anymore, that means he cares little for those songs.

Thinny 07-14-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265581)
Because he doesn't want to be bothered about the album anymore, that means he cares little for those songs.

He was angry at the label at the time. He released it to finish his contract and didn't want to be seen to be promoting it as the next record. That is all...

Captain_jovi 07-14-2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265581)

Get where you're coming but you're twisting his words because you really like the songs. Those songs wouldn't have come out had it not been for the label forcing them to release it. Word for word he says the songs are good but no way in hell is he going to drop songs from the setlist for 'em.

Alphavictim 07-15-2020 12:42 AM

He prefers songs that made the albums over the songs that he at the time felt were not good enough to make the cut. That doesn't make him a jerk.

YOVANAfromPeru 07-15-2020 01:45 AM

Phil X talking about the new album
http://bravewords.com/news/bon-jovi-...dy-sarzo-audio

Captain_jovi 07-15-2020 05:03 AM

Won't be able to listen until tomorrow, if anyone has listened, could you fill me in?

Javier 07-15-2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1265588)
Won't be able to listen until tomorrow, if anyone has listened, could you fill me in?

They worked on the album for 11 days straight at ocean way in Nashville and out of the songs recorded Jon picked his favorite 10 (does this mean more were recorded?). Phil's favorite is Love is a beautiful drug because he got to be dangerous for 16 seconds. It feels like an exciting album for Phil x because it's the first time he got to be involved from the ground up. I think that's all that was said about the new album...

steel_horse75 07-15-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier (Post 1265589)
They worked on the album for 11 days straight at ocean way in Nashville and out of the songs recorded Jon picked his favorite 10 (does this mean more were recorded?). Phil's favorite is Love is a beautiful drug because he got to be dangerous for 16 seconds. It feels like an exciting album for Phil x because it's the first time he got to be involved from the ground up. I think that's all that was said about the new album...

Yet on the 4 songs we’ve heard so far Phil x hardly features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jovifan93 07-15-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1265574)
Ever notice how Love Ain't Nothing But A Four Letter Word gained two additional writers going from the demo to the final version?

That's what I thought, as well. While I didn't know about Shanks having a co-write on it, it could well be for something he added, maybe the bridge, a verse or something. Maybe it was missing one verse, who knows? But even the solo screams Jon (or Bobby), and the whole song reminds me more of songs like Life's Too Short For Days Like These...

Javier 07-15-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1265591)
Yet on the 4 songs we’ve heard so far Phil x hardly features.

Keep in mind that of those 4 only 2 were recorded initially. American Reckoning and Do what you can were written post pandemic and possibly recorded remotely so I doubt Phil played on either....

rolo_tomachi 07-15-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

16 seconds .... refers to the guitar solo I guess.

I wonder how many songs from that recording have been left out ... it would be great if they released more bonus tracks.

steel_horse75 07-15-2020 12:05 PM

2020: The New Album

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265595)
16 seconds .... refers to the guitar solo I guess.

I wonder how many songs from that recording have been left out ... it would be great if they released more bonus tracks.

I think this is the solo that Jon originally wanted taken out and re-done as it was too hard rock - Phil mentions this on a podcast earlier this year. Shanks had to convince Jbj to leave it in.

Further proof that me and Jon no longer see eye to eye regarding new Bon Jovi music.

rolo_tomachi 07-15-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1265598)
I think this is the solo that Jon originally wanted taken out and re-done as it was too hard rock - Phil mentions this on a podcast earlier this year. Shanks had to convince Jbj to leave it in.

Further proof that me and Jon no longer see eye to eye regarding new Bon Jovi music.

Oh seriously? then this attracts my attention.

bonjovi90 07-15-2020 01:47 PM

It pretty much is the solo Phil played live at them of THINFS.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

angelsambo 07-15-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Phil's favorite is Love is a beautiful drug because he got to be dangerous for 16 seconds....

a rock song with a guitar solo...wow!!!

Alphavictim 07-15-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1265601)
a rock song with a guitar solo...wow!!!

Why the **** are you people so bitter about everything? Would you prefer the song to not have one, or is the answer to any- and everything the band does mere bitching?

rolo_tomachi 07-18-2020 03:07 PM

I wish Bon Jovi would ever do a double album, you know, like Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers or White Album by The Beatles.

Santa Fe 07-18-2020 05:20 PM

What do you think about the new record title ?
I think they should chose another new one .
This year is being horrible

Santa Fe 07-18-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1265666)
I wish Bon Jovi would ever do a double album, you know, like Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers or White Album by The Beatles.

You are asking too much :p

bonjovi90 07-18-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa Fe (Post 1265668)
What do you think about the new record title ?

I think they should chose another new one .

This year is being horrible

Yeah, the year is horrible, but chances are that it might fit the album then.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Faceman 07-18-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1265670)
Yeah, the year is horrible, but chances are that it might fit the album then.

Nice one! :D