Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

Santa Fe 08-08-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1266157)
2020 is a Jbj solo album for the main part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably It will be :o

hackster73 08-08-2020 03:04 PM

11 days is nothing, he was a fly on the wall for most of that too. Jon wrote all but 2 songs on his own, this is his album with the band doing little more than session work.

Phil X is taking the money, living the dream by playing in front of big crowds in some great venues but he is a hired hand, no more and no less, shackled by the Jon vision. He has one solo on 2020 which is Beautiful Drug. I would think the majority of guitar work on the album is Shanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266147)
???? He said they spent 11 days in Nashville working with the band. How did you get "one solo and some rhythm" out of what he said?

Rdkopper 08-08-2020 06:01 PM

I'm sorry but Jon is just so far removed from what he used to be, I think he's done.

The whole socially conscience themed content rubbed me the wrong way from day 1. If I have to hear that 2020 is an election year one more time, I'm gonna puke.

1. I don't care which way he leans politically, now is not the time for an album like this. His goal is to get people to lean a certain way for the election which is why people are going to hate him for it and all he's doing is sucking the asses of the media. Just like his Stephen Colbert interview a few years back. If there is a time to distance yourself from politics, it's now Jon!!!

2. Sure, Bounce was a socially conscience album about 911 but we were all united as a country back then. All this shit is going to do is divide people more.

3. Yes, Jon has gone down this road before but back then the lyrics were so brilliantly written, it wasn't blatantly obvious and you had to think about what he was talking about. "I believe, with every breath that I breathe, you and me can turn a whisper to a scream" not "Chicken Coops" and all this over shit he comes up with.

4. "There is a song about Stormy Daniels"!!! Who gives a ****!!! Just because Jon has a hard on for Trump over that Footballs team, nobody wants to hear a ****ing song about Stormy Daniels.

5. Jon needs to get back to his roots and just write a fun mixed album with some slower ballads, some rockers, and just guitar strumming happy songs. I want Jannie Don't Take Your Love To Town part 2... He's just overly serious and it's just destroying his music.

6. He needs to spend more time in the studio vocally. Maybe hire someone who really understands his voice that can maximize it in a studio. His voice on Unbroken and American Reckoning in combination with them being sang in one note with speeds slower than a turtle, make them unlistenable. And then add in certain lyrics... It's just all so bad.

7. He needs to pend more time creating melodies, intros, hooks, etc... Instead of leaving it all to Shanks.

8. Shanks and Phil combined can't not fulfill the creative chemistry that Richie had so Jon should hire a real guitar player who could.

- Get a guy like Jeff Beck
- Hire some girls to do some backing vocals.
- Get someone in like he did with Elton or Little Richard to do backing vocals.
- Have Tico beat the shit out of a drum

angelsambo 08-08-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1266160)

8. Shanks and Phil combined can't not fulfill the creative chemistry that Richie had so Jon should hire a real guitar player who could.

it's not phil's fault,
phil showed jon tons of ideas

bonjovi90 08-08-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1266161)
it's not phil's fault,

And you know that how?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1266155)
TBH, Matt, I think it's semantics more than anything else.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what's being said, across the board; but it seems to go back to the difference between playing on a song vs influencing a song. If people pay attention to the credits and what's said in interviews, it's clearly stated that the band played on the songs; so I don't think that's their issue. (Or maybe it is, and they refuse to believe what they read.) It seems more like the real question is 'Does it make any difference that they played on it?'

I'm not trying to throw your own words back at you; but I thought about all this when I read a post you made, about this same issue, on the DWYC thread. And, frankly, it didn't seem to me that you guys were really all that far apart in what you were saying.

At the end of the day, if it's all so watered-down, as you put it, why does it matter? If the band, or X, don't have enough control over what they contribute for people to recognize, I agree it's ultimately a Jon issue. But if it's true, then I don't see a significant difference between "the band played on it" vs "it's just Jon and Shanks" (i.e., another Jon and Shanks product).

It does seem to make a big difference to you, though; and I'd like to understand why or, at least, know what it is that I'm missing. Just for my own personal edification... :)

I think it's just important because it negates the "This is a Jon album" rhetoric and it's session people etc. If someone is there playing on it from day 1 until the mastered version it's a band song at the end of the day. It's cool to hate it on if the quality isn't there but people are talking out their asses to trash something that doesn't fit their own narrative.

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1266159)
11 days is nothing, he was a fly on the wall for most of that too. Jon wrote all but 2 songs on his own, this is his album with the band doing little more than session work.

Phil X is taking the money, living the dream by playing in front of big crowds in some great venues but he is a hired hand, no more and no less, shackled by the Jon vision. He has one solo on 2020 which is Beautiful Drug. I would think the majority of guitar work on the album is Shanks.

You're finding stuff to get pissed about. It wasn't 11 days of recording total, it was 11 days doing the bed tracks with further overdubs happening afterwords. 11 days to record 10 tracks is NOT that difficult especially given the basic-ness of these tracks. It's cool you don't like it but 11 days does not equal one solo and a bit of rhythm, that's a point you got to on your own. No one has said the album only has one solo, he's said that's his favourite one and his chance to shine a little.

Supersonic 08-09-2020 07:08 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

it's not phil's fault,

Even if this were true it'd not mean much as Phil's ideas for his own albums haven't been particularly great either.

As for this being a band album or not; it's obviously not. It sounds like Shanks featuring Jon Bon Jovi as far as I'm concerned. Bon Jovi haven't sounded like Bon Jovi in well over a decade because of how little the band has got to do with this. The fact that the other guys played on it for about 11 days means **** all and is just grasping for straws to say "Look, they're on it, a step in the right direction!".

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

hackster73 08-09-2020 08:59 AM

Absolutely spot on, this is the issue.. it is the Jon and Shanks express making a quick stop at band station.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266166)
Aloha !

Even if this were true it'd not mean much as Phil's ideas for his own albums haven't been particularly great either.

As for this being a band album or not; it's obviously not. It sounds like Shanks featuring Jon Bon Jovi as far as I'm concerned. Bon Jovi haven't sounded like Bon Jovi in well over a decade because of how little the band has got to do with this. The fact that the other guys played on it for about 11 days means **** all and is just grasping for straws to say "Look, they're on it, a step in the right direction!".

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

hackster73 08-09-2020 09:09 AM

The one thing I do know is that Phil X would not be making music like Bon Jovi, he is a completely different artist, listen to his band if you haven't already.

This is problematic for me, you have hired hands playing Jon's music and not really being into it heart and soul.

Quote:

it's not phil's fault,

hackster73 08-09-2020 09:13 AM

How many songs and how many solos did Phil X perform on THINFS?

Born again tomorrow solo
All hail the king solo - never made the album
Come on up to our house solo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266164)
You're finding stuff to get pissed about. It wasn't 11 days of recording total, it was 11 days doing the bed tracks with further overdubs happening afterwords. 11 days to record 10 tracks is NOT that difficult especially given the basic-ness of these tracks. It's cool you don't like it but 11 days does not equal one solo and a bit of rhythm, that's a point you got to on your own. No one has said the album only has one solo, he's said that's his favourite one and his chance to shine a little.

rolo_tomachi 08-09-2020 01:45 PM

I guess Jon has to be very happy at last being in absolute control without anyone eclipsing him.

About this controversy, well, the fans are to blame for everything. When Richie left on the tour, nobody cared, even making bad blood to Richie ... and treat Phil like a real guitar hero, with placards praising him, X tattoos, and all that shit. Now you have what you deserve.

There was a point in time, that fans could have rallied to demand Richie's return, boycotting the tour, not buying any subsequent tickets or albums. Bon Jovi runs its course, now you **** with all this crap.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/660a9e2f...4js7o1_540.jpg

I wonder if we still have time to boycott the new album. But I already know what the response of all the fans will be.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c9/f9/5a/c...90797dd779.jpg

Roll 08-09-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266173)
I guess Jon has to be very happy at last being in absolute control without anyone eclipsing him.

About this controversy, well, the fans are to blame for everything. When Richie left on the tour, nobody cared, even making bad blood to Richie ... and treat Phil like a real guitar hero, with placards praising him, X tattoos, and all that shit. Now you have what you deserve.

There was a point in time, that fans could have rallied to demand Richie's return, boycotting the tour, not buying any subsequent tickets or albums. Bon Jovi runs its course, now you **** with all this crap.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/660a9e2f...4js7o1_540.jpg

I wonder if we still have time to boycott the new album. But I already know what the response of all the fans will be.

I still don't get why anybody should have boycotted the BWC tour on Richie's absence.

As for the rest, talk about how divisive the next BJ album will be for people in the US when nobody cares about BJ anymore and while being a fierce Trump supporter...

JackieBlue 08-09-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266163)
I think it's just important because it negates the "This is a Jon album" rhetoric and it's session people etc. If someone is there playing on it from day 1 until the mastered version it's a band song at the end of the day. It's cool to hate it on if the quality isn't there but people are talking out their asses to trash something that doesn't fit their own narrative.

If I understand correctly, you're saying you think it's important to avoid falling into a habit of assuming something negative, just because that's what we've come to expect.

In other words, if we go into it with our minds already half made up, based on past disappointments, or on negative comments from others (kinda like 'lynch-mob' mentality), we can easily miss or disregard anything that might point towards something more positive.

Is that close?

rolo_tomachi 08-09-2020 04:24 PM

What is sad is to read a whole fan base complaining about each new release, asking for a change of course, but then they run to buy the album and tickets the first day it goes on sale. If you want a change of course, don't support the album and tour for the first few weeks, and if sales drop considerably, then Jon will be forced to make a change in the future.

As simple as that. A boycott of not supporting the album and tour for the first few weeks could change everything.

Alphavictim 08-09-2020 04:40 PM

You guys are acting like cranky idiots that try to sell absolute nonsense as analyses, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesedays2014 (Post 1266151)
Wonder what Phil really thinks of Jon & John‘S music. I mean, as a fan it’s bad enough, imagine being a top musician...

11 days playing beginner’s chords and one solo, yup...such a shame

Exactly, he is a top notch musician. Why would he give a **** how many chords the songs use? Tons of great songs use four chords, maybe less. Do you think the Beatles would have benefited from "better" players who made the songs better with more fills and chords? Safe for the key change part, Prayer uses all of four chords. Terrible song, obviously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266152)
we have to make things clear, Jon is ruining everything.

Oh, absolutely. Just imagine if the band was fronted by Phil-X and called X instead of Bon Jovi. Such a missed opportunity to move those Drills-style numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1266159)
11 days is nothing

Full albums have been recorded in a single weekend. What the hell makes you think 11 days is "nothing" for a guitar player who as a session guy was used to doing his work in hours' worth?

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1266175)
If I understand correctly, you're saying you think it's important to avoid falling into a habit of assuming something negative, just because that's what we've come to expect.

In other words, if we go into it with our minds already half made up, based on past disappointments, or on negative comments from others (kinda like 'lynch-mob' mentality), we can easily miss or disregard anything that might point towards something more positive.

Is that close?

I'm not sure? I'm saying be mad at what you want but finding things to get upset about is silly. We're at the point where the band could be doing things that go against the arguments we're making but fans are so let down in the past that it's just easier to stay mad.

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackster73 (Post 1266169)
How many songs and how many solos did Phil X perform on THINFS?

Born again tomorrow solo
All hail the king solo - never made the album
Come on up to our house solo?

As far as I know he played on all three's full songs plus Knockout. But that argument has nothing to do with what can be done over 11 days of recording basic tracks.

JackieBlue 08-09-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Point one, I agree with, although I'm not exactly sure about "eclipsing" him (which may be a translation error on my part). I'd be more likely to say "without opposition" or maybe "without sharing the spotlight". Not sure if either of those are close to what you meant.

The rest, not so much. If enough fans had reacted by asking for refunds or not buying tickets, I can see how that may have given Jon pause IF he had been primarily responsible for Richie not being there. It also could have drawn Richie back in, IF he had left because he felt unappreciated. But without knowing the reason for the split, I don't see the justification for it.

I don't think the fans turning on Richie did anybody any favors; but I don't see how boycotting the tour, or later projects, would benefit anyone either. If people had chosen not to support the band without Richie because they don't like the band without him, that's one thing. Or if they stop buying albums because they don't like the music anymore. But to stop supporting a band you can still enjoy, just to prove a point or to change a situation, doesn't make sense to me. Nor does refusing to support a fill-in on principle. I don't see any reason to take it out on Phil-X, just because he's not Richie.

Life goes on.

JackieBlue 08-09-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266178)
I'm not sure? I'm saying be mad at what you want but finding things to get upset about is silly. We're at the point where the band could be doing things that go against the arguments we're making but fans are so let down in the past that it's just easier to stay mad.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I interpreted it; and I agree wholeheartedly.

(Good luck with that, btw!) :)

bjcrazycpa 08-09-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieBlue (Post 1266180)
Point one, I agree with, although I'm not exactly sure about "eclipsing" him (which may be a translation error on my part). I'd be more likely to say "without opposition" or maybe "without sharing the spotlight". Not sure if either of those are close to what you meant.

The rest, not so much. If enough fans had reacted by asking for refunds or not buying tickets, I can see how that may have given Jon pause IF he had been primarily responsible for Richie not being there. It also could have drawn Richie back in, IF he had left because he felt unappreciated. But without knowing the reason for the split, I don't see the justification for it.

I don't think the fans turning on Richie did anybody any favors; but I don't see how boycotting the tour, or later projects, would benefit anyone either. If people had chosen not to support the band without Richie because they don't like the band without him, that's one thing. Or if they stop buying albums because they don't like the music anymore. But to stop supporting a band you can still enjoy, just to prove a point or to change a situation, doesn't make sense to me. Nor does refusing to support a fill-in on principle. I don't see any reason to take it out on Phil-X, just because he's not Richie.

Life goes on.

100% agree with you Jackie. Plus, where is the artistic integrity in fans dictating the musical direction. Don't record companies put enough pressure on the artists as it is. I do understand the plight of wanting your favorite band to make the music you like but to say that they must make music only to please me seems unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 08-09-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa (Post 1266182)
100% agree with you Jackie. Plus, where is the artistic integrity in fans dictating the musical direction. Don't record companies put enough pressure on the artists as it is. I do understand the plight of wanting your favorite band to make the music you like but to say that they must make music only to please me seems unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is, if you constantly complain about their shows, and their new songs, because it's always the same, the only way to change course is in the face of a sales failure, it was always like that.

What I mean is that supporting an album because there are one or two songs ok is a mistake, since we will be locked in an infinite cycle. I don't want to dictate anything to anyone, I just give my opinion: don't support this album if the 4 songs don't convince you. It's idiotic to buy and support a tour/album simply because it's ... BON JOVI (a brand).

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

YOU WERE JUST SAYING HOW YOU WANT IT TO BE A DOUBLE ALBUM. Rolo, you gotta pick a side here buddy, you're all over the place.

rolo_tomachi 08-09-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266184)
YOU WERE JUST SAYING HOW YOU WANT IT TO BE A DOUBLE ALBUM. Rolo, you gotta pick a side here buddy, you're all over the place.

What does one thing has to do with the other?

I would like to see a change of direction that breaks this whole bland thing at once, and I would also like to see a double album as concept in the future, what is your problem with that?

Captain_jovi 08-09-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266185)
What does one thing has to do with the other?

I would like to see a change of direction that breaks this whole bland thing at once, and I would also like to see a double album as concept in the future, what is your problem with that?

"We should boycott the album" and "They should give us more songs" are polar opposite thoughts.

jovifan93 08-09-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266183)
The point is, if you constantly complain about their shows, and their new songs, because it's always the same, the only way to change course is in the face of a sales failure, it was always like that.

What I mean is that supporting an album because there are one or two songs ok is a mistake, since we will be locked in an infinite cycle. I don't want to dictate anything to anyone, I just give my opinion: don't support this album if the 4 songs don't convince you. It's idiotic to buy and support a tour/album simply because it's ... BON JOVI (a brand).

The problem comes down to two simple questions: what do you want from an artist and what can you ask of an artist?

I for one would would take an artist putting his heart and his all into a project, wheter I like the outcome or not (like with TLFR), over an artist just trying to please his audience any time. It's not up to you to force an artist into a specific direction, the artist should move in the direction he wants to or gravitates to.

In the past, we used to complain about Jon being in the latter camp, and now that he's seemed to move more into the former, i.e. just making the music he wants to, without chasing fads or the hit that won't come again, you're complaining as well.

As someone just said a couple of posts ago: you gotta pick a side! ;-)

Supersonic 08-09-2020 09:55 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1266187)
In the past, we used to complain about Jon being in the latter camp, and now that he's seemed to move more into the former, i.e. just making the music he wants to, without chasing fads or the hit that won't come again, you're complaining as well.

If Jon was making the music he wants to there wouldn't be any songs like Knockout or Limitless on the albums. People saying he isn't trying to chase a fad are just out of touch with popular pop & rock music. All that reverb and echo in nowadays Bon Jovi is "inspired" by Imagine Dragons. We Don't Run? That's just Katy Perry with guitars.

Bon Jovi used to incorporate the sound of popular rock bands into their own sound and they were pretty good at it too. They did it on These Days, they did it on Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day but with every new release songs got weaker and sounded less like Bon Jovi. All to make sure a song would wind up on the radio.

Nowadays it's no different. It's just that popular indie bands have a sound so far removed from what most Bon Jovi fans identify as rock music that Bon Jovi doesn't sound like Bon Jovi anymore either. Their target audience doesn't listen to pop radio. And the bands that do sound like the rock music a lot of Bon Jovi fans wish Bon Jovi would sound like are way too far removed from what Jon does want to make.

I feel it's a real shame because once these new songs are stripped from all the studio trickery and are given some room to breathe there's still some quality stuff out there. It might not've given them a hit but at least someone would still be listening to it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

faith1985 08-09-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1266183)

Some people really like the songs and I don't think that AR sounds like the other songs at all. And I do agree with Deb. If they change the direction because of the lack of sales this would mean they have no integrity and that is whhat people here complain about.

For me, I dont think that Jon has an agenda, he writes about the things he cares about and there is nothing wrong with it.

And regarding the fact that it sounds like other artists: Jon has always been inspired by others, that does not mean he is not creative.

rolo_tomachi 08-09-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith1985 (Post 1266189)
Some people really like the songs and I don't think that AR sounds like the other songs at all. And I do agree with Deb. If they change the direction because of the lack of sales this would mean they have no integrity and that is whhat people here complain about.

For me, I dont think that Jon has an agenda, he writes about the things he cares about and there is nothing wrong with it.

And regarding the fact that it sounds like other artists: Jon has always been inspired by others, that does not mean he is not creative.

I am referring to the way of approaching a record or song. Not the content. When Jon makes a Bon Jovi record where he lacks personality about his band, it's something I don't agree on, and I have a hard time supporting. So the logical thing is not to support that project. Others artists make solo records. What would be stupid is to constantly complain about what it has become and then endorse the product the first day it goes on sale.

I suppose if you agree with the address, then you shouldn't feel alluded to by this.

And this does not change the fact that I am interested in listening to new music, the problem is that I know what his tics will sound like. Everything is so predictable.

Alphavictim 08-10-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266188)
out of touch with modern pop music
(...)
Katy Perry with guitars

Ah yes, Katy Perry, the contemporary super star of the season. How do you do fellow kids?

Supersonic 08-10-2020 07:33 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1266192)
Ah yes, Katy Perry, the contemporary super star of the season. How do you do fellow kids?

We Don't Run was released in the same year Katy Perry hosted the Superbowl. So, well done. You've both proven the point how most Bon Jovi fans are out of touch with modern pop music ánd have directly shown the same attitude Bon Jovi have towards making music.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

jovifan93 08-10-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266188)
Aloha !

If Jon was making the music he wants to there wouldn't be any songs like Knockout or Limitless on the albums. People saying he isn't trying to chase a fad are just out of touch with popular pop & rock music. All that reverb and echo in nowadays Bon Jovi is "inspired" by Imagine Dragons. We Don't Run? That's just Katy Perry with guitars.

Bon Jovi used to incorporate the sound of popular rock bands into their own sound and they were pretty good at it too. They did it on These Days, they did it on Crush, Bounce, Have A Nice Day but with every new release songs got weaker and sounded less like Bon Jovi. All to make sure a song would wind up on the radio.

Nowadays it's no different. It's just that popular indie bands have a sound so far removed from what most Bon Jovi fans identify as rock music that Bon Jovi doesn't sound like Bon Jovi anymore either. Their target audience doesn't listen to pop radio. And the bands that do sound like the rock music a lot of Bon Jovi fans wish Bon Jovi would sound like are way too far removed from what Jon does want to make.

I feel it's a real shame because once these new songs are stripped from all the studio trickery and are given some room to breathe there's still some quality stuff out there. It might not've given them a hit but at least someone would still be listening to it.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

I'd completely agree with you (which I don't very often), except for what I've heard of the 2020 album (bar Limitless of course, that's why I'd written "more into the former", not "totally"). Or can you name popular influences for songs like Unbroken and American Reckoning?

Sure, we still have to listen to the rest of the album, but if Limitless was the "more familiar" single for the fans, and Jon's written most of the tracks alone, I'd say this album is something different. Not neccessarily better IMO, but different from the last albums.

Supersonic 08-10-2020 01:40 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovifan93 (Post 1266195)
Or can you name popular influences for songs like Unbroken and American Reckoning?

Not really, no. But it also doesn't sound like Bon Jovi either. Both songs have Springsteen written all over it. Listen to Devil's and Dust and then listen to Unbroken. Unbroken is as if Springsteen joined up with Disturbed and tried to do a parody of a Bon Jovi song. Take away Jon's vocals and there's nothing that makes you think it's a Bon Jovi song.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

jovifan93 08-10-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266197)
Aloha !

Not really, no. But it also doesn't sound like Bon Jovi either. Both songs have Springsteen written all over it. Listen to Devil's and Dust and then listen to Unbroken. Unbroken is as if Springsteen joined up with Disturbed and tried to do a parody of a Bon Jovi song. Take away Jon's vocals and there's nothing that makes you think it's a Bon Jovi song.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Fair point, though it misses the mark a little bit. I never said the songs sounded like (past) Bon Jovi. The point I was trying to make is that they're stuff Jon wants to sound the way it does. And since he's a big Springsteen fan... Same with the Power Station demos and the Southside Johnny influence...

thesedays2014 08-10-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266197)
Aloha !

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

😹😹 you’ve changed your tune and tactics Seb...totally agree once again. Will remember Springsteen+Disturbed parody for a while, I’m sure👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Alphavictim 08-10-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1266194)
We Don't Run was released in the same year Katy Perry hosted the Superbowl. So, well done. You've both proven the point how most Bon Jovi fans are out of touch with modern pop music ánd have directly shown the same attitude Bon Jovi have towards making music.

If you say so. Going by that logic, Prince was contemporary not in the 80s but 20 years later. I listen to quite a bit of modern music, but I don't exactly want BJ to incorporate emo rap elements. But that's a genre for people in touch with the modern musical landscape, so, don't bother :)

steel_horse75 08-11-2020 09:14 AM

I’m not boycotting the album... I’m just not buying it because 4/10 songs so far are awful.
I’ll wait until a few months later when there’s a huge sale and I can pick up the vinyl copy for about £10.
I’ll listen on Spotify the day of release as I am interested in Beautiful Drug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jack27 08-11-2020 01:38 PM

Do you think with the "concert" on Friday that it might be in conjunction with a new single?

Captain_jovi 08-11-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1266217)
Do you think with the "concert" on Friday that it might be in conjunction with a new single?

I'd say it's way too early. The DWYC video hasn't even dropped yet.

Jack27 08-11-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1266218)
I'd say it's way too early. The DWYC video hasn't even dropped yet.

Yes fair point! I'd forgotten about that!!