Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

jovifan85 10-01-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grantos1 (Post 1268196)
Imagine a radio station doing this in the 80s/90s, playing the whole album. We'd all just get our tape recorders and record it from the radio and not need to buy it ;)

I think some fans would still actually buy the Albums, I would!

JackieBlue 10-01-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1268195)
Beatiful Drug is a very round song, and it gives off that feeling of those songs from the late nineties-early 2000s. It feels retro but at the same time modern. I love the ending of the guitar solo and as it stretches that last note with reverb.

I'm not that impressed with the beginning of the solo but I really like the end of it. As it fades, it sounds like the wail of an ambulance siren, and connects with the medical references in the lyrics. Very cool.

steel_horse75 10-01-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1268177)
At this point the album is veeeeeeeeeerry easy to find on torrenting sites online.

Only 11 hours and you can pop down the shop and buy it. My laptops so old it takes 12 hours to come on

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dicanio 10-01-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcDLV (Post 1268106)
Agree ! It's a F#$%ing great song !

I came here to post about Never Say Die too!!

Jonty 10-01-2020 11:19 PM

out of interest, was the DWYC duet released as a single? Just wondered what position it reached?

Larg 10-01-2020 11:24 PM

The new album is not one my favorites, that's for sure! But it is better than what i was expected... At least, Jon write again with his heart, like for THINFS, and that's what was missing about the Circle and WAN, in my opinion. ... The lyrics are the strongest part of this album for me....

There're also some solo guitar and it's fresh air...

I've accepted long time ago that we're never gonne have another SWW, NJ, KTF or TD... and that's ok, it's probably one of the reasons who makes me love this band... Each area have its own qualities until The Circle. This band is capable to write and play every style: rock, blues, country, soul, gospel,... For me Bon Jovi is about Music, in its diversity but with a little touch you can regonize immediately. Sadly, some of their abilities are listenable only in b-side and covers projects. This album is something a little different and that its second strongest part in my ears but two things hurt me the most : Jon's voice and Richie's departure.

Jon's voice is ok. Better than i thought but no more power.... feelings but no more punch...
And Richie's absence... I didn't really feel his absence in BB or THINFS but pieces like Blood in the Water and Lower the flag expose this missing spark too much. With Richie's touch it could be masterpiece!

At this point, it will probably change with time, my headliners are:

Beautiful Drug: catchy as hell... It was in my head all day... A little something fresh.... But i'm not specialy fan of the solo, i think that i prefer Shanks on guitar (closest from Richie's style) when he's not playing his U2 style ;)

Blood in the Water: love the guitar, the atmospher

Brothers in Arms: rocky but not sure that it will pass the test of time

Do What You Can (With Jenniger Nettles): catchy and make me smile.... classic Jovi

Lower the flag: Jon's trying something new and was inspired

Limitless, with a mix of the instrumental version and the album version, make me smile and sing... again classic Jovi... A little too classic but makes the job

American Reckoning: I understand people who said it's boring but i like its Sprinsteen's feel and the honesty of the whole piece

The followers are :

The Story of Love, love the solo but the La La lei and the whole thing didn't touch me at this point

unbroken not bad as a closer song. I like the lyrics but it's a only an ok song with its melody and jon's voice

Let it rain, too typical JBJ song from Destination Anywhere... but not as good. Probably the weakiest song on the album for me

Two songs must be dicovered yet but it's the shortest album since Slippery (covers and b-side includes with different album version) and that's the third thing who makes me sad... If the next album is in 3 or 4 years...But strangely, in a way, it's a good thing... This album, against my first impression with the singles, gave me (again) the feeling that i want more... I follow Bon Jovi since 1990 and it's not about to end. I'm grateful that this band, even if it's more JBJ and friends now, still make record so regularely... Not many fans from classic bands have this chance ;)

captaincrash0815 10-01-2020 11:29 PM

When the album cover came out and the first information about the songs was circulating on the net, you actually already knew that this album will probably not be the happy-fun-rock-n-roll record that one is used to from the band.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? What can you expect from the new album and from Bon Jovi after more than 35 years of band career? Of course, every fan has to decide for himself.

I've been with the band since the beginning of the 90s, I've seen every style change and, with maybe 1-2 exceptions, was never disappointed.
It's hard to compare the new album with the last Bon Jovi albums - a good mix of singer-songwriter Springsteen Rock and Bon Jovi 2000-2009.

Jon wrote most of the songs by himself, so the album could have been a solo album. Some of them are quiet songs to ponder and have a strong Springsteen / Jersey sound.
I like that because I really enjoy hearing the "boss" too. The other songs are great rock numbers that sound like a colorful mixture from the Bon Jovi years 2000-2009, but still sound new - great !!!

The production is much better than "What About Now" or "This House Is Not For Sale".
The drums on "THINFS" e.g. in the song "New Years Day" sounded like something from a computer. Now you can really hear the drums on the songs again, the whole sound is very powerful, there are rich guitar riffs and Jon's voice sounds better than expected.

I don't want to rate every single song - but one song stands out for me.
"Blood In The Water" is the absolute highlight on the album for me !!! The intro is reminiscent of Dry County, the style and the guitar solo are reminiscent of the classic Bon Jovi ballads of the past !!!

"2020" has become a strong Bon Jovi album, on which Jon proves once again what an excellent singer-songwriter he is !!!

rolo_tomachi 10-01-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larg (Post 1268208)
The new album is not one my favorites, that's for sure! But it is better than what i was expected... At least, Jon write again with his heart, like for THINFS, and that's what was missing about the Circle and WAN, in my opinion. ... The lyrics are the strongest part of this album for me....

There're also some solo guitar and it's fresh air...

I've accepted long time ago that we're never gonne have another SWW, NJ, KTF or TD... and that's ok, it's probably one of the reasons who makes me love this band... Each area have its own qualities until The Circle. This band is capable to write and play every style: rock, blues, country, soul, gospel,... For me Bon Jovi is about Music, in its diversity but with a little touch you can regonize immediately. Sadly, some of their abilities are listenable only in b-side and covers projects. This album is something a little different and that its second strongest part in my ears but two things hurt me the most : Jon's voice and Richie's departure.

Jon's voice is ok. Better than i thought but no more power.... feelings but no more punch...
And Richie's absence... I didn't really feel his absence in BB or THINFS but pieces like Blood in the Water and Lower the flag expose this missing spark too much. With Richie's touch it could be masterpiece!

At this point, it will probably change with time, my headliners are:

Beautiful Drug: catchy as hell... It was in my head all day... A little something fresh.... But i'm not specialy fan of the solo, i think that i prefer Shanks on guitar (closest from Richie's style) when he's not playing his U2 style ;)

Blood in the Water: love the guitar, the atmospher

Brothers in Arms: rocky but not sure that it will pass the test of time

Do What You Can (With Jenniger Nettles): catchy and make me smile.... classic Jovi

Lower the flag: Jon's trying something new and was inspired

Limitless, with a mix of the instrumental version and the album version, make me smile and sing... again classic Jovi... A little too classic but makes the job

American Reckoning: I understand people who said it's boring but i like its Sprinsteen's feel and the honesty of the whole piece

The followers are :

The Story of Love, love the solo but the La La lei and the whole thing didn't touch me at this point

unbroken not bad as a closer song. I like the lyrics but it's a only an ok song with its melody and jon's voice

Let it rain, too typical JBJ song from Destination Anywhere... but not as good. Probably the weakiest song on the album for me

Two songs must be dicovered yet but it's the shortest album since Slippery (covers and b-side includes with different album version) and that's the third thing who makes me sad... If the next album is in 3 or 4 years...But strangely, in a way, it's a good thing... This album, against my first impression with the singles, gave me (again) the feeling that i want more... I follow Bon Jovi since 1990 and it's not about to end. I'm grateful that this band, even if it's more JBJ and friends now, still make record so regularely... Not many fans from classic bands have this chance ;)

You have hit the mark on most points. This album is fine, but I don't think it's remarkable, half of the album is well written, but as you say, Richie is not in this type of song that he is so good at, he could have created a monster in Blood in the Water, and he would have improved with their harmonies other songs like Story of Love or Lower The Flag.

Anyway, I'm happy, since it was not the disaster that it was originally going to be. Some rock songs, I really like that, since the last albums lacked them. Also some interesting twists, but still, all John Shanks ticks are obvious. This band needs a more drastic change, we now already know that it can be good.

Dicanio 10-01-2020 11:42 PM

What a great day its been after months of mundane Groundhog Day we've had some new Jovi tunes and the overall opinion of this board that is lets be honest, very hard to please is positive!

If anyone has Shine & Luv Can can I please have a pm link too.

jovifan85 10-01-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1268211)
You have hit the mark on most points. This album is fine, but I don't think it's remarkable, half of the album is well written, but as you say, Richie is not in this type of song that he is so good at, he could have created a monster in Blood in the Water, and he would have improved with their harmonies other songs like Story of Love or Lower The Flag.

Anyway, I'm happy, since it was not the disaster that it was originally going to be. Some rock songs, I really like that, since the last albums lacked them. Also some interesting twists, but still, all John Shanks ticks are obvious. This band needs a more drastic change, we now already know that it can be good.

Drastic change? In replacing John Shanks not going to happen.
If Richie Sambora, comes back Phil X may be asked to stay perhaps?

Jon's style of music isn't going to change. He's happy with his idea of Bon Jovi, and isn't nostalgic to return to the style of the 80's/90's as his music has evolved and he's evolved. He's not 20 or 30, anymore. I don't expect something like a "You give love a bad name", coming from man approaching his 60's. I'm happy if Jon produces something along the lines of 2020, now on, with something mixed in of the likes of The Circle, HAND, BB, and THINFS, type songs. Some fans expecting the style of music of the 80's or 90's you will be disappointed, as it's not going to happen.