Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2020: The New Album (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70436)

bonjovi90 10-24-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_d (Post 1246086)
I just want something that's different and doesn't sound like it was put together in 5 minutes. I'd much rather them try something cool and not hit the mark instead of THINFS mk2.

I'd never though I'd say this, but at this point I'd rather have them try something as far left or right field as TLFR. Sure, that didn't go over too well, but it was a brave effort. Something that doesn't sound like we've had a few times already.
I've no problem with Jon not utilizing Phil in the songwriting process, maybe that wouldn't work (didn't work with David either). But if they come together to rehearse for shows every few weeks anyway, I sincerely hope that they start to flesh out the new songs together in the way and the combination that they're gonna play it on stage afterwards. Like New Year's Day, but with a proper guitar playing :)

james_d 10-24-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1246088)
I'd never though I'd say this, but at this point I'd rather have them try something as far left or right field as TLFR. Sure, that didn't go over too well, but it was a brave effort. Something that doesn't sound like we've had a few times already.
I've no problem with Jon not utilizing Phil in the songwriting process, maybe that wouldn't work (didn't work with David either). But if they come together to rehearse for shows every few weeks anyway, I sincerely hope that they start to flesh out the new songs together in the way and the combination that they're gonna play it on stage afterwards. Like New Year's Day, but with a proper guitar playing :)

Something genuine is what I'm looking for, a bit of imagination as well.

Supersonic 10-24-2018 03:43 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1246059)
I like Shank's solos when he has a chance to let rip. Same with Richie. Too many single note pluckings doused in echo with the part repeated twice an octave apart. Boring.

He gets a chance to let it rip during Keep The Faith every night and he still sounds like ass with his pointless noodling. I'm not denying he's a great guitar player, but so is Phil X yet every single guitar solo he does sounds off. It's why I don't understand why people are insisting he could deliver in the studio. His style of playing doesn't fit the Bon Jovi sound but then again, the entire band doesn't sound like Bon Jovi anymore so what's the point, really? These guys have yet to come up with something memorable.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Captain_jovi 10-24-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1246095)
Aloha !

He gets a chance to let it rip during Keep The Faith every night and he still sounds like ass with his pointless noodling. I'm not denying he's a great guitar player, but so is Phil X yet every single guitar solo he does sounds off. It's why I don't understand why people are insisting he could deliver in the studio. His style of playing doesn't fit the Bon Jovi sound but then again, the entire band doesn't sound like Bon Jovi anymore so what's the point, really? These guys have yet to come up with something memorable.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

In the context of new material, I'll take it. His KTF solo lacks energy but as far as new songs in the studio, Fingerprints shows he can play bluesy solos not far off from Richie's framework. Live classics, absolutely, keep him away.

If the band is going to continue I'd rather it be as something new but it's not like they're going to drop 2/3s of the setlist. :(

Supersonic 10-24-2018 04:02 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1246097)
In the context of new material, I'll take it. His KTF solo lacks energy but as far as new songs in the studio, Fingerprints shows he can play bluesy solos not far off from Richie's framework. Live classics, absolutely, keep him away.(

I don't get the praise for Fingerprints. Sure, it sounds bluesy, but that solo is a prime example of something that's just not going anywhere. It feels like it's building up to something and then eventually doesn't deliver. It's with all the guitar solo's these guys are doing. No start, middle and end. Just noise.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

steel_horse75 10-24-2018 04:02 PM

Ive been sent the new album name by my contact at universal. Stays on here............

These days in New Jersey its Slippery When Wet at 7800F. That temp will Crush and Bounce the Lost Highway so much This Left Feels Right but we all have to Keep The Faith so we can Have A Nice Day.

Please. It must stay on here....

semigoodlooking 10-24-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1246099)
Aloha !

I don't get the praise for Fingerprints. Sure, it sounds bluesy, but that solo is a prime example of something that's just not going anywhere. It feels like it's building up to something and then eventually doesn't deliver. It's with all the guitar solo's these guys are doing. No start, middle and end. Just noise.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

This is completely right, of course, but is it really any different to what Richie was doing for 10-15 years? I think Captain was saying Shanks sounds like he could do something interesting but the framework of Bon Jovi prevents him, as it does Phil and even Richie.

Perhaps the only person with no blame for this situation is Phil, as he just does what he is told.

Captain_jovi 10-24-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semigoodlooking (Post 1246101)
This is completely right, of course, but is it really any different to what Richie was doing for 10-15 years? I think Captain was saying Shanks sounds like he could do something interesting but the framework of Bon Jovi prevents him, as it does Phil and even Richie.

Perhaps the only person with no blame for this situation is Phil, as he just does what he is told.

Bingo bango. They can change producers, change guitarists, add new writers, this is how they want it to sound. Every one of them is CAPABLE of better but it sounds phoned in. Richie's guitar playing got more and more watered down from Crush onwards. Bounce was double tracked guitars with baritones tucked underneath. It sounded heavy but technically it wasn't anything special.

I listened to These Days in full yesterday and picked up on a lot of new things. On most of the songs Richie's backing vocals is panned slightly left and it sounds like you're standing in between them sometimes. The first half of the album I noticed the last chord of the songs would be close to the start of the next song. Work was put into guitar parts that sounded raw and didn't need five distorted guitar stacked playing a single echoy note.

The raw swagger, any bluesy sounds have been sucked out of them. But hearing Fingerprints and Who Do You Die For to me tells me they have it in them to do a bit different and veer from the formula. We me have to agree to disagree, Fingerprints is one of the better post 2000 solos.

Xavi 10-24-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1246085)
If we'd get another album in the vein and with the quality of HAND, I'd honestly be happy at that point. It's by now means my favourite, but it had a freshness and energy to it that I sorely miss nowadays.

Im not talking bout the quality of the album,Im talking about the sound of the album.
I have the feeling of being listening to the same album since 2005

steel_horse75 10-24-2018 07:36 PM

Can't think nothing worse than a HAND sounding album...other than a THINFS, WAN , Circle or LH sounding album!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk