Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Has Jon made any comments about his voice in public? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=32071)

Supersonic 09-26-2005 01:10 AM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockGod
No, that's what they sound like once they've reintroduced reverb, allbeit artificially.

Not true, I've got direct soundboard feeds from that band as well.

Quote:

Of course they've got audience mics, but an original soundboard recording won't have them in the mix because there's no point feeding a screaming crowd their own screaming through the PA! An original Bon Jovi soundboard recording won't have audience mics mixed in for this reason, unless it's a monitor mix for Jon or the band, in which case they have they are likely to have the audience mics mixed into their in-ear monitors so they can hear the audience.

Still, it doesn't make up for why this band sounds so different on an audience recording compared to the soundboard mix, while other bands don't.

Quote:

Because you are comparing mixes that weren't intended to be heard anywhere else than through huge PA systems. They aren't "final mixes". I'm not talking about whether you can hear dave, or tico or whoever better in an audience recording compared to a soundboard recording because that's subject to the mix. I'm talking about the detail being clearer in a soundboard recording because the sound goes from Jon's mouth (for example), into a mic, through a cable, into processors and then directly to the mixing desk where it is attached to the recorder. It doesn't go through Jon's mic, into the mixing desk, out through the PA speakers, over the audience, then into a tiny mic from a portable recorder. That's why it's better to judge vocal ability through a soundboard recording, not from a very distant-sourced audience recording.

All very nice, but still, you have more detail in an audience recording than on a soundboard recording. Your theories are correct, and it's the way it's supposed to work, and it's exactly the reason I don't understand why it's not the case with a Bon Jovi soundboard. It's just a completely different band when you listen to the final mixes Bon Jovi sound engineers provide, than the actual sound you get at a gig.

A live recording should be showing what a band sounds like, and a final mix shouldn't be different than for what you hear at a show. That's the purpose of a final mix, to get that glimpse of the actual show. And you're talking about getting details in the final mix, which just aren't there when it comes to Bon Jovi. In the end, Jon was sharp as a knife at a lot of times during the show in Amsterdam, but he was nowhere as sharp on the bootleg which contained that final mix. And there's no way it depended on the venue, the screaming people and all that stuff, because I'm not one of those people who get hyped up at a gig and think it sounds all so amazing, but to be honest, Jon simply sounded amazing, a lot of times. And he never did at the webcast, with the final mix, but I bet he will on the audience recording, if it ever shows up.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

RockGod 09-26-2005 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Aloha !
Not true, I've got direct soundboard feeds from that band as well.

And do you know from the source who recorded them that it wasn't a monitor mix for Steven Tyler, or Joe Perry, or even a mix that was recorded on purpose with reverb added at the mixing stage? Trust me, as a recording engineer, a mic that's two inches away from Steven Tyler's mouth will sound very very similar if he's singing in Wembley Stadium, or his bathroom, even when listened to alone without the noise of the band.

Quote:

Still, it doesn't make up for why this band sounds so different on an audience recording compared to the soundboard mix, while other bands don't.

I'm not trying to explain why that's the case because I don't think that's true. Everyone has different hearing so you're entitled to wonder, I just don't think Bon Jovi's FOH mix engineer, or whoever the various soundboard recordings come from does anything wrong.

Quote:

All very nice, but still, you have more detail in an audience recording than on a soundboard recording. Your theories are correct, and it's the way it's supposed to work, and it's exactly the reason I don't understand why it's not the case with a Bon Jovi soundboard. It's just a completely different band when you listen to the final mixes Bon Jovi sound engineers provide, than the actual sound you get at a gig..

You don't have more detail in an audience recording, you have more sources to interfere with the recording. That is again why singers hold mics so close to their mouths rather than 6 feet in front of them.

Quote:

A live recording should be showing what a band sounds like, and a final mix shouldn't be different than for what you hear at a show. That's the purpose of a final mix, to get that glimpse of the actual show. And you're talking about getting details in the final mix, which just aren't there when it comes to Bon Jovi. In the end, Jon was sharp as a knife at a lot of times during the show in Amsterdam, but he was nowhere as sharp on the bootleg which contained that final mix. And there's no way it depended on the venue, the screaming people and all that stuff, because I'm not one of those people who get hyped up at a gig and think it sounds all so amazing, but to be honest, Jon simply sounded amazing, a lot of times. And he never did at the webcast, with the final mix, but I bet he will on the audience recording, if it ever shows up.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

A final mix will be different to what you hear at a show because the general public don't listen to albums through PA speakers in large arenas. We're going to have to agree to disagree because I think you're wrong and clearly you think I am! You may not be one of the hyped up fans, but you were in the venue surrounded by thousands of people (which affects the sound whether they're totally silent or screaming) and you were listening to a mix that wasn't only coming from the speakers, it was also bouncing off every surface in the venue then into your ears, hence blurring the sound. The recording I listened to came from Jon's mic, then digitally into my speakers which are two feet infront of me. Agreed the quality wasn't as good because it was a streaming webcast, but I had a clearer route from Jon's mic to my ears!

bjcrazycpa 09-26-2005 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier
Jon still smokes, On the Bounce tour he didn't have a vocal coach, don't know if he will have one on this tour.

Richie has a higher range than jon, he ussually sings a third higher than jon, the only song I can recall Jon singing higher than Richie is Lie to Me on These Days.
To the best of my knowledge Richie doesn't have any vocal problems, or at least not as noticable as Jon.
I don't know if Richie smokes or not, on the This left feels right dvd when the band are playing poker and texas hold 'em you can see everyone of them smoking at one point except richie so maybe he's the smart one.

Nope Richie smokes. I saw him taking drags off Lumpy's cigarette at the Today Show on Friday.

deb

RockGod 09-26-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjcrazycpa
Nope Richie smokes. I saw him taking drags off Lumpy's cigarette at the Today Show on Friday.

deb

Shame. Seems strange to me that two guys who have dedicated their lives to singing and playing music would damage their voices through smoking. Still, it's a personal choice for them and Jon and Richie haven't done bad for themselves!

Krycek 09-26-2005 02:23 PM

It's not just them, so many succesful singers smoke. Bono, Liam Gallagher and Rob Thomas to name but a few.

Phil