Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Good Guys Don't Always Wear White (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=46739)

KeepTheFaith2211 10-19-2008 11:04 PM

Good Guys Don't Always Wear White

Personally, I think this is a fantastic song. I don't know what album it was actually written for, but IMO, it could have made any BJ album, simple as that. It's an excellent rock song that is fun to listen too, with a great solo in it from Richie and Jon's vocals are great. Especially this version from Wembley:

Anyone else love this song to death? :p

Crushgen24/88 10-19-2008 11:07 PM

I don't like Good Guys Don't Always Wear White...
I LOVE Good Guys Don't Always Wear White.
I think it's one of Jovi's best rock songs. I love the lyrics, I love the music.

ugly_queen_from_mars 10-20-2008 12:25 AM

how can i not like it? brilliant song

Ferret 10-20-2008 12:26 AM

I do like it, yes. Good rock 'n' roll song.

liljovi93 10-20-2008 12:53 AM

Love it!
That live version is great.

Kathleen 10-20-2008 01:46 AM

I love it - always have. The live version that was broadcast in June of 94 is fantastic.

bj54 10-20-2008 02:00 AM

Yes, the song should have made the album. It's a great song, I love it. Glad it was put on the box set.

Crushgen24/88 10-20-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj54 (Post 884910)
Yes, the song should have made the album. It's a great song, I love it. Glad it was put on the box set.

Wasn't it expressly written for The Cowboy Way soundtrack?

Captain Walrus 10-20-2008 02:36 AM

It ****ing rocks like a bastard. Love it

severo17 10-20-2008 02:54 AM

AWESOME SONG! just love it! that's what i call rock and roll! :D

Savvi 10-20-2008 08:25 AM

Agree with what everyone here has said so far. I love this song. Its up there with Edge Of A Broken Heart as songs which shouldve been put on albums. (even though I think it was written specifically for The Cowboy Way as someone above mentioned).

Dave 1986 10-20-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 884945)
Agree with what everyone here has said so far. I love this song. Its up there with Edge Of A Broken Heart as songs which shouldve been put on albums. (even though I think it was written specifically for The Cowboy Way as someone above mentioned).

I wipes it's arse with Edge Of A Broken Heart!:p

GGDAWW is one of Bon Jovi's best ever songs. Loud, balsy, ****ing beast of a rocker. Great guitar work by Richie and Jon's vocals are amazing. Can't fault it.

eddie73 10-20-2008 02:21 PM

It was written for these days, i remember from a interview from kerrang in early 95, that it would be on the album along with a letter to a friend, got knows why it got pulled

liljovi93 10-20-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie73 (Post 884981)
It was written for these days, i remember from a interview from kerrang in early 95, that it would be on the album along with a letter to a friend, got knows why it got pulled

These Days??
Hmm, come to think of it... would it have fitted?

Thunderstrucker 10-20-2008 03:52 PM

I wouldn't have fitted on TD, thats probably why they didn't put it on TD.
It's a way to 'happy' song to put on an album as TD is.

I salute you,
Thunderstrucker

TBoy 10-20-2008 04:05 PM

It has written HIT all over it! Great song!

DevilsSon 10-20-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBoy (Post 885001)
It has written HIT all over it! Great song!

fopr a song that got released as a single with a videoclip on MTV and promoted with a live performance at the MTV Movie awards, and as the leading track of a pretty famous movie soundtrack, it didn't do too well, did it?

It wasn't meant to be a hit. It was meant to show the world that Bon Jovi still got some balls. I wish they took such a decision nowadays but they missed too many opportunities: undivided and Last Man Standing are just two that spring to my mind,

slippery89 10-20-2008 09:36 PM

Bad ass song, love it. It's so full of energy.

liljovi93 10-20-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstrucker (Post 884994)
I wouldn't have fitted on TD, thats probably why they didn't put it on TD.
It's a way to 'happy' song to put on an album as TD is.

I salute you,
Thunderstrucker

Yeah, although Hey God and Good Guys on the same album would be (as tony the tiger says) gggrrrreeaattttttt!

KeepTheFaith2211 10-20-2008 10:51 PM

31 - Yes
0 - No

Fantastic. :)

Captain_jovi 10-20-2008 11:01 PM

God, One of my favorite Richie solos everrrrrr.

Rob 10-21-2008 12:23 AM

I just love it when BJ rock out like this. Shame it didn't make it on an album.

Dave 1986 10-21-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 885027)
for a song that got released as a single with a videoclip on MTV and promoted with a live performance at the MTV Movie awards, and as the leading track of a pretty famous movie soundtrack, it didn't do too well, did it?

It wasn't meant to be a hit. It was meant to show the world that Bon Jovi still got some balls. I wish they took such a decision nowadays but they missed too many opportunities: undivided and Last Man Standing are just two that spring to my mind,

GGDAWW wasn't released as a single, it was only ever a b-side to Someday I'll Be Saturday Night. That explains why it wasn't a hit.

DevilsSon 10-21-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86 (Post 885101)
GGDAWW wasn't released as a single, it was only ever a b-side to Someday I'll Be Saturday Night. That explains why it wasn't a hit.

My bad....but it did have a clip on TV. It's my life didn't have a proper single either :P

Yvonne 10-21-2008 01:13 AM

I do like the song, wouldnt say I love it!

TBoy 10-21-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 885102)
My bad....but it did have a clip on TV. It's my life didn't have a proper single either :P

If it was marketed like IML it would have been very good single at least!

Johny 10-21-2008 09:30 AM

That's the way I like it :-) loud, fast, powerful, screaming guitars, unbelievable vocals... I just love this song.

Here's the best performance of this song ever (as far as I'm concerned, they played it live three or four times), much much better than the Wembley one:

Shame that it's so small, but you can still enjoy.

It was probably the last live appearance of Alec with the band, wasn't it?

And my guess is that it was written for Crossroad, not These Days. It was out even before Always (not sure with that). I think it would have fitted Crossroad with Saturday Night and Always perfectly, question is, which of the hits would be omitted. There are more songs on boxset, which were recorded for Crossroad - or in that time.

Simon 10-21-2008 11:46 AM

Wow, that's one hell of a song, one of their best rock songs. So much attitude and passion which is missed these days! Not could have, it SHOULD have been on a regular album!!! If I was to make a new Greatest Hits collection, weather 1984-2007 or 1994-2007, I would make sure it's on there! And as a soundtrack song is has a right to be there - along with "Edge Of A Broken Heart" and "Real Life".

Shame it wasn't played live more often, those versions sound great!

Thunderstrucker 10-21-2008 11:55 AM

It's on the, quite ok, 2nd disc of the Special Crossroads Box (2CD / 1DVD)
Only wrong thing is that they didn't put 'Lay Your Hands On Me' on the cover while it in fact is on the Live in London DVD.
Nice box-set though.

I salute you,
Thunderstrucker

Chica Guacamole 10-21-2008 12:30 PM

One of my favourite songs. EVER.

Thierry 10-21-2008 12:37 PM

It's ok. I don't care too much for it.

Simon 10-21-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry (Post 885187)
It's ok. I don't care too much for it.

How? You don't like good songs? ;-)

Dave 1986 10-21-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 885102)

LOL It's My Life was a full blown 2-part CD single! Just like every other single we've had since, give or take.

And I guess Good Guys only had a music video purely to promote The Cowboy Way movie. (Good video btw)

DevilsSon 10-21-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86 (Post 885248)
LOL It's My Life was a full blown 2-part CD single! Just like every other single we've had since, give or take.

Bloody hell, I meant the US. It's MY Life had no single released in the US but had the videoclip running, was performed at various shows etc. etc. and made it to the Billboard Top 40 without actual sales. Referring STRICTLY to the US (my bad that I didn't point this out from the very beginning) there's not too big of a difference between Good Guys and It's My Life (in terms of promotion). It's My Life became a hit. Good Guys didn't.

Sami 10-21-2008 05:41 PM

Good Guys is a great song, no doubt about that.

I´ve never quite managed to hear and understand the lyrics after the guitar solo. According to the internet lyrics files, it goes like " forget about your dark dressed knight, day from night, wrong from right..."

Are these lines really correct? Any suggestions?

Dave 1986 10-21-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsSon (Post 885253)
Bloody hell, I meant the US. It's MY Life had no single released in the US but had the videoclip running, was performed at various shows etc. etc. and made it to the Billboard Top 40 without actual sales. Referring STRICTLY to the US (my bad that I didn't point this out from the very beginning) there's not too big of a difference between Good Guys and It's My Life (in terms of promotion). It's My Life became a hit. Good Guys didn't.

Sorry, didn't know IML had no physical single release in the US. (WTF! by the way)

...I wasn't having a go at you either. :cool:

DevilsSon 10-21-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2k86 (Post 885257)
S

...I wasn't having a go at you either. :cool:

I wasn't having a go at you either. The "bloody hell" was just a direct response to your "LOL" :P

TBoy 10-21-2008 06:06 PM

6-7 years difference in promoting Goog Guys vs Its My Life is really important! Internet was a child when GG where promoted and it developed like a monster since then...

And if you think that GG was promoted at the same level as IML, same amount of TV apperences, interviews and all other shit, then... OMG

GG didnt have internet... Didnt have 10 percent of TV and all other way of promotion IML had! Didnt have an album behind it! Nothing that could be compared with IML!

Captain Walrus 10-24-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johny (Post 885126)
That's the way I like it :-) loud, fast, powerful, screaming guitars, unbelievable vocals... I just love this song.

Here's the best performance of this song ever (as far as I'm concerned, they played it live three or four times), much much better than the Wembley one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6if...eature=related

Shame that it's so small, but you can still enjoy.

It was probably the last live appearance of Alec with the band, wasn't it?

And my guess is that it was written for Crossroad, not These Days. It was out even before Always (not sure with that). I think it would have fitted Crossroad with Saturday Night and Always perfectly, question is, which of the hits would be omitted. There are more songs on boxset, which were recorded for Crossroad - or in that time.

I'm not sure Cross Road had it's own specific sessions, I think it was all part of the "next album after KTF" (which obviously became These Days) sessions

Of course, I might be wrong

Supersonic 10-24-2008 10:02 PM

Aloha !

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Walrus (Post 885799)
Of course, I might be wrong

You are. :)

There were a few recording sessions after Keep The Faith on which the band recorded a few songs (I think 12 or something in total) they wrote on tour on during the breaks in between the legs of the Keep The Faith tours. When the band/record company decided that they wanted to release a greatest hits the band did one more sessions and released what in their opinion were the 2 best songs on the compilation album. Stuff like Good Guys, Sat. Night, Always were all finalized on the same session, which could be named the Cross Road sessions. These were not the sessions on which the band recorded stuff for the next album. Open All Night for example is from those sessions and not from the These Days sessions. It was one song they did take with them to the These Days sessions but when the started to write and record more songs the band decided to scrap Open All Night. They loved it very much and thought it'd be what the entire album would sound like. In the end it just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the songs on These Days and was put on the shelf.

Back to the inital subject: It'd be nice to hear what the demo for Good Guys sounds like. :)

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan