Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   iHeart Radio Awards, Icon Award, March 11,2018 (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70243)

Becky 03-12-2018 12:25 AM

iHeart Radio Awards, Icon Award, March 11,2018

This starts on TV in about 30 minutes. I’ve watched a little of the red carpet on their Facebook page. I don’t know who any of these young acts are. 🤷🏻*♀️

rocknation 03-12-2018 12:37 AM

Bon Jovi Among Honorees at iHeartRadio Music Awards 3/11/18

Quote:

JustJared.com: ...Bon Jovi will receive the iHeartRadio Icon Award...(and) will also perform during the show...

Previously announced performers include Ed Sheeran, Cardi B, Maroon 5 and Charlie Puth...host(ing) will be Hailey Baldwin and DJ Khaled...

This year, the show will take place on Sunday (March 11) live from Los Angeles and will air on TBS, TNT and truTV at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.
Live from Los Angeles for an 8PM New York start time? So contrary to last month's radio concert that started at 10PM in New York, iHeartRadio DOES know how to broadcast nationally in the U.S! I guess iHeart didn't want to put up the expense of broadcasting from LA back then, and Jon wasn't in a position to put up a fight about it...

symbeline 03-12-2018 12:46 AM

I have TNT but it seems to be a US-only livestream and I'm not going to bother checking other options to hear the same old songs

In case anyone wants to, here's how to stream the show: https://9to5google.com/2018/03/11/ho...ndroid-basics/

Becky 03-12-2018 01:17 AM

‪I hate award shows. I really do. Four minutes into iHeart and I was ready to go back to binging SVU reruns. I can fast forward through this crap and just watch BonJovi on my DVR later. ‬

rocknation 03-12-2018 02:06 AM

I can do the same, now that I've seen opening act Cardi B, who's been denying pregnancy rumors. So let's not wonder why she (with five years' experience as an exotic dancer) is the only one whose whose midriff is covered:

https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/new_asset...uality%2880%29

From a show she did last week -- a tale of three waistlines, LOL:

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/o...psswudfpzs.jpg

DryCounty 03-12-2018 02:08 AM

I have no idea what kind of event this is, but anyone knows what is standard for the artist/bands to play? Is it just one song?

Captmorgs 03-12-2018 02:39 AM

They played It’s My Life and You Give Love A Bad Name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocknation 03-12-2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1235766)
I have no idea what kind of event this is, but anyone knows what is standard for the artist/bands to play? Is it just one song?

I think the awards are based on Top 40 Radio airplay, but a little while ago they announced a category for "Best Celebrity's Pet!"

Becky 03-12-2018 02:42 AM

IML and Bad Name. I thought Bad Name was an odd choice, only two songs, nothing new.

Honestly though, I think those vocal lessons are paying off. I know some of you will discount that statement just because it came from me, but I stand by it.

Still puzzled they didn’t play something new or either Prayer or Wanted.

danfan 03-12-2018 02:46 AM

Sorry Becky. Jon sounded God awful tonight. Off key and all over the place. It was embarrassing.

Becky 03-12-2018 02:54 AM

When Jon cued Tico to start Bad Name, I was watching and muttering, “Not Bad Name, not Bad Name,” because I have always thought it was weak live. So, I am pleasantly surprised that it sounded okay.

I’m not a singer. I just know what make my ears bleed and what doesn’t.

rocknation 03-12-2018 02:57 AM

Captain.Crash 03-12-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 1235770)
Sorry Becky. Jon sounded God awful tonight. Off key and all over the place. It was embarrassing.

Agreed. He's getting destroyed on twitter.... Everyone asking "what's wrong" along with a comparison to Bob Saget.

He sounded brutal. My wife (casual fan) said ouch...yikes...and ooof.

Mousebounce 03-12-2018 03:02 AM

It was bad, and it made me sad. I have the live recording from MSG a year ago, and it was just as awful. My friend texted me asking if he was sick. MSG he was just getting over the flu or something. This time...I dunno...

DryCounty 03-12-2018 03:04 AM

I seriously wonder if performances like this is in Bon Jovi's favor these days. A couple of years ago I would have said yes, it's always good to be seen on big events like this - but nowadays it must hurt the brand more than doing it any good.
If the band are gonna do promotion apperances on TV I'd prefer them to be pre-recorded with doctored vocals because this is not good for the band, sadly :(

Mousebounce 03-12-2018 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1235775)
I seriously wonder if performances like this is in Bon Jovi's favor these days. A couple of years ago I would have said yes, it's always good to be seen on big events like this - but nowadays it must hurt the brand more than doing it any good.
If the band are gonna do promotion apperances on TV I'd prefer them to be pre-recorded with doctored vocals because this is not good for the band, sadly :(

Agreed!! Holy....

danfan 03-12-2018 03:11 AM

I only bought tickets for 1 show, and even that I'm having 2nd thoughts about. Honestly, I think they'll crawl across this leg and that will be it. I'm convinced nothing can help Jon anymore. He almost sounds like he's in pain.

rosa3 03-12-2018 03:22 AM

You guys are really taking pleasure at the fact Jon "may" have sounded bad! You wanted this, so congratulations! haha. On facebook many are saying he sounded good, so you believe who you want to believe, or when you guys watchded Jon sing, you basically wanted him to sound bad, and in your minds he did, oh well, no changing the negativity, Was he 100% perfect, no, but he did great in my book, but my opinion here is seen as me being seeing this with "rose colored lenses", and some here have said. Oh and by the way, you say twitter is "killing" him, lets consider who goes on twitter, trolls and haters, just like they are here. Well, I said my peace, you can take it for what it is,

Rdkopper 03-12-2018 03:25 AM

It really wasn't that bad. You are all completely overreacting and being way over dramatic. I thought the band sounded amazing.

My issue is... 5 years and I still can't get over that hair. I have no problem with grey hair. It's actually in style and guys like Hetfield rock it and look cool...

However, Jon actually looks like he's wearing a wig that a 70 year old woman would wear. Rock and Roll has an image and Jon always had that cool factor. The Q-Tip style has to go.

rocknation 03-12-2018 03:28 AM

Cardi B update: The dress she wore while making her acceptance speech, and her announcement that her album is coming out next month instead of in the summer, should prove that she's told the truth about not being pregnant!

DryCounty 03-12-2018 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1235779)
It really wasn't that bad.

Man, it was horrible. I really try to find the good in what the band does these days and even praised some of the stuff from SA last year, but if you're saying this isn't "that bad" you're just living in denial.

Rdkopper 03-12-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1235781)
Man, it was horrible. I really try to find the good in what the band does these days and even praised some of the stuff from SA last year, but if you're saying this isn't "that bad" you're just living in denial.

I thought he pulled off IML for the most part... Sure he dodged a few notes but it wasn't horrible... Bad Name was the usual... No different then it was on Colbert...

It wasn't great but I wasn't cringing either...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Captain.Crash 03-12-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosa3 (Post 1235778)
You guys are really taking pleasure at the fact Jon "may" have sounded bad! You wanted this, so congratulations! haha. On facebook many are saying he sounded good, so you believe who you want to believe, or when you guys watchded Jon sing, you basically wanted him to sound bad, and in your minds he did, oh well, no changing the negativity, Was he 100% perfect, no, but he did great in my book, but my opinion here is seen as me being seeing this with "rose colored lenses", and some here have said. Oh and by the way, you say twitter is "killing" him, lets consider who goes on twitter, trolls and haters, just like they are here. Well, I said my peace, you can take it for what it is,

I really haven't engaged in this debate since it started on the last tour but i'm going to bite this time because of the world wide nature of this show.

I'm as big a fan of this band as it gets, and a positive one. I'm not going to list my resume but it rivals anybody here. I LOVE THINFS, I LOVE WWWU and Walls - I listen to them in my car and on airplanes every day, but the facts are the facts and he sounds brutal. The whisper-singing isn't working and its a massive fall off from previous tours. You can choose to like the performance and I don't care either way but my opinions are my own and I can't listen to it anymore, I wanted to change the channel. There has never been a time in my life where I have thought that.

The only reason I mentioned Twitter is because you search "Bon Jovi" and you read hundreds of tweets that basically say the same thing, by people that don't know each other, its an observation. When people say "What's wrong with his Mic" or "He must be really sick" its an unbiased observation of what they're hearing.

Regardless - you can say he "may" have sounded bad. I say (in my opinion) he was absolutely terrible. I'm not happy about it, but its what I heard. Unlistenable. And believe me, with the time, money and emotion I've put into this band in my life, ive earned the right to my opinion. Nobody asked you to agree.

Rdkopper 03-12-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknation (Post 1235780)
Cardi B update: The dress she wore while making her acceptance speech, and her announcement that her album is coming out next month instead of in the summer, should finally put the pregnancy rumors to rest!

I don't think anyone on this board cares dude...

DryCounty 03-12-2018 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain.Crash (Post 1235783)
I really haven't engaged in this debate since it started on the last tour but i'm going to bite this time because of the world wide nature of this show.

I'm as big a fan of this band as it gets, and a positive one. I'm not going to list my resume but it rivals anybody here. I LOVE THINFS, I LOVE WWWU and Walls - I listen to them in my car and on airplanes every day, but the facts are the facts and he sounds brutal. The whisper-singing isn't working and its a massive fall off from previous tours. You can choose to like the performance and I don't care either way but my opinions are my own and I can't listen to it anymore, I wanted to change the channel. There has never been a time in my life where I have thought that.

The only reason I mentioned Twitter is because you search "Bon Jovi" and you read hundreds of tweets that basically say the same thing, by people that don't know each other, its an observation. When people say "What's wrong with his Mic" or "He must be really sick" its an unbiased observation of what they're hearing.

Regardless - you can say he "may" have sounded bad. I say (in my opinion) he was absolutely terrible. I'm not happy about it, but its what I heard. Unlistenable. And believe me, with the time, money and emotion I've put into this band in my life, ive earned the right to my opinion. Nobody asked you to agree.

Greatly put. This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I love the recent Bon Jovi releases, really love - but seeing a performance like the one tonight really makes it embarassing to be a Bon Jovi fan for a brief moment.

rocknation 03-12-2018 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1235784)
I don't think anyone on this board cares (about Cardi B's pregnancy), dude...

Cardi and Jon appear to have something very significant in common: they both think that denial is a river in Egypt!
http://rocktivity.com/Graphics/rimshot.gif

Rdkopper 03-12-2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1235785)
Greatly put. This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I love the recent Bon Jovi releases, really love - but seeing a performance like the one tonight really makes it embarassing to be a Bon Jovi fan for a brief moment.

What is great??? He academy award winning speech that earned his opinion the grand one???

All I read was waaa waaa waaa, I have earned my right to say that was awful ..

Alphavictim 03-12-2018 03:45 AM

Haven't heard the performance, but given how he has sounded recently, Jon should really take time off. Take off as much time as he NEEDS to, not as he WANTS to, to recover his voice, to maybe even have throat surgery (it worked for Adele) or see whatever experts that might be able to help the situation, to maybe write new songs in the meantime (so he doesn't feel lazy), whatever. I enjoyed the recent Richie-less output more than I'd figured I would, so this is not to spite his body of work, but I really feel they're not doing themselves any favors.

Consider this: We only have live recordings of certain rarities, and clear soundboard versions are sought after. For about a year, a live performance of the first verse + chorus of HAND's demo version was all we had from the song and it still got us hyped. How hyped would you be if a recent live performance of a song was all you had to judge its quality on?

Plus, if the band is just a studio act nowadays, I still prefer great peformances in that context as well. You can hear Jon's voice gotten weaker on the studio cuts as well, and that won't be helped if he continues to beat it with a rusty knife live.

I respect the man's work ethic and desire to put out the product and put up the goods, but really, he deserves and needs a break. The art, product and result will be better for it.

Rdkopper 03-12-2018 03:48 AM

I agree with the above... He should just make albums and stop touring... Or just some spot shows... Like 20 gig's in major cities to promote and that's it...

DryCounty 03-12-2018 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1235787)
What is great??? He academy award winning speech that earned his opinion the grand one???

All I read was waaa waaa waaa, I have earned my right to say that was awful ..

I'm not one who likes to stat any unnecessary discussion that won't lead anywhere regarding Jon's vocals, but I simply thought it was well put that I also really loves both BB and THINFS with all my heart and it breaks my heart to see the band I love sound like this in a public forum like this. I owe this band so much, and they mean so much to me that it's just tough to see this. Especially in a show like this were the band is supposed to win people over and show the world they are still going strong - instead they show the opposite.

I am honestly happy for you people who can enjoy this, I really wish I could :]

Walleris 03-12-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCounty (Post 1235790)
I'm not one who likes to stat any unnecessary discussion that won't lead anywhere regarding Jon's vocals, but I simply thought it was well put that I also really loves both BB and THINFS with all my heart and it breaks my heart to see the band I love sound like this in a public forum like this. I owe this band so much, and they mean so much to me that it's just tough to see this. Especially in a show like this were the band is supposed to win people over and show the world they are still going strong - instead they show the opposite.

I am honestly happy for you people who can enjoy this, I really wish I could :]

This is precisely why I always maintained that they should do as little high profile performances like this one. They have a strong brand name and should make conscious decisions to preserve it. General public seeing Jon's current state of voice is doing the no favors commercially..

rocknation 03-12-2018 05:11 AM

In a word...underwhelming.

It's My Life wasn't bad, just...one-dimensional. Bad Medicine wasn't bad, just...disastrous. Two songs in, and he's already out of gas? He didn't even seem to have a complete command of the lyrics.

I think complete vocal rest is his only chance -- no more gigs until Rock Hall, cancel the remaining 2018 dates, and devote the rest of the year to getting back to guitar rock basics new material (preferably with Richie).

Captain_jovi 03-12-2018 05:29 AM

1. "Because We Can" Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Billy Falcon 4:00
4. "Pictures of You" Bon Jovi, Sambora, Shanks 3:58
8. "Army of One" Bon Jovi, Sambora, Desmond Child 4:35
9. "Thick as Thieves" Bon Jovi, Sambora, Shanks 4:58

Why are people so insistent that if he starts writing with Richie again the machine is magically fixed. People are trashing RSO, people are trashing THINFS, and no one was crazy about WAN. Neither of them are in a place where they're putting out gold and putting them together won't do much of anything.

danfan 03-12-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdkopper (Post 1235782)
I thought he pulled off IML for the most part... Sure he dodged a few notes but it wasn't horrible... Bad Name was the usual... No different then it was on Colbert...

It wasn't great but I wasn't cringing either...

Worst live version of It's My Life I've ever heard. I can't even begin to guess what key he was trying to sing in.

Bad Name on Colbert was actually very good and gave me hope. It was unlistenable last night. Band sounded fine. Jon was a trainwreck.

BJFan99 03-12-2018 07:10 AM

Please, tell me this is a nightmare. Jon simply can't sound this bad...

That version of IML was downright horrendous. Bad Name wasn't much better.

Just call it a day after this tour, guys. JBJ is done.

manarosi 03-12-2018 08:30 AM

In general yes, It was awful. Still better than last year at least he's not off tempo throughout the entire songs....still wondering why he's cupping that mic even when speaking

Walleris 03-12-2018 09:00 AM

How dare you guys bash Jon only 10 days after his birthday? I'm really upset.

Falco 03-12-2018 09:03 AM

For what it's worth, the tour starts in a few days, Jon might just be taking it easy on his vocals so he's ready for the first show.

symbeline 03-12-2018 10:29 AM

oh my gawd I was cringing the whole time. IML was atrocious. Why oh why Jon's mic is not lowered? Surely he's aware he has those other FIVE guys to cover his ass?? Phil did a great job, I don't care how you feel about the guy, I'm the first to admit that I won't pay to see this lineup, but you have to admit the band is lucky to have him. He's delivering his parts the way a band this fvcking huge deserves in a high profile event.

rosa you are nuts if you think we hate the band and want them to fail. I don't think I've ever addressed your comments because honestly you have to be trolling most of the time. You can't be serious. Like others have said we not only want the band to have longevity as long as they can deliver to their standards, we also don't want them to ruin their fvcking legacy by under-performing especially in front of so many people, people who have working ears, people who are not going to salivate over Jon's ass because they don't care about how he sounds (he's sooooo hot!!!1!!). BJ should be wiping the floor with the other performers and sadly it is the other way round. Do you really think this is what we secretly want??

Thinny 03-12-2018 10:55 AM

Pretty much agree with the majority here...band sounds great, It's My Life was terrible for Jon. I can see why those that aren't aware of his current vocal situation may think he was ill.

Bad Name was fine by today's standards, obviously it's a song that he feels safe doing, it was much better than it's my life for sure.