Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   General BJ Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BJ slating on CDUK (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=19031)

Yvonne 11-08-2003 11:39 PM

BJ slating on CDUK

I was watching CDUK this afternoon and they do a bit called "hotshots" which is basically showing forthcoming releases, Wanted was on and was reviewed by 3 members of the music scene and each of them slated it. They said "whats the point in covering one of your own songs and making it worse?" "If you cover your own song then you should make it better than the original"
2 out of the 3 said they preferred Wanted the original and that this was just crap.

Thomas Anderson 11-08-2003 11:44 PM

That's everyones biggest problem...they're comparing the new versions to the old ones too much. Of course they're not the same, and you don't like the new ones as much because you've heard the original so many times that it's had to hear it any other way.

...but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.

jess 11-08-2003 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
...but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.

I'm sure they wish everyone thinks this way ... But they did something so strong with the original versions, it's hard to "forget" them, even for just a few minutes.

Thomas Anderson 11-08-2003 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess
Quote:

I'm sure they wish everyone thinks this way ... But they did something so strong with the original versions, it's hard to "forget" them, even for just a few minutes.

No-one bothers about standard acoustic versions, and basically that's all most of these songs are.

Thomas Anderson 11-09-2003 12:01 AM

Re: BJ slating on CDUK

By the way, did they actually show the whole video, or just clips of it?

(I haven't seen it yet, so might watch it later tonight if it's repeated.)

Neurotica80 11-09-2003 12:03 AM

Quote:

That's everyones biggest problem...they're comparing the new versions to the old ones too much. Of course they're not the same, and you don't like the new ones as much because you've heard the original so many times that it's had to hear it any other way.

Im pretty sure I wouldnt have liked this even if id never heard the original.

Yvonne 11-09-2003 12:36 AM

Just a clip was shown but long enough.

I've just remembered something else that was said, "they must have reached the stage where they now have to release old material and not put out any new material"

Santa_Fe 11-09-2003 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonne
"they must have reached the stage where they now have to release old material and not put out any new material"

Smart as*es. What stage are they at?

Mousebounce 11-09-2003 12:44 AM

Quote:

but imagine if they where new songs, having not heard them all before...everyone would probably love this album.
If they were new songs, I think I would hate them even more. The thought of them wasting 23 precious days of their lives killing their old songs is bad enough.

davefan 11-09-2003 12:46 AM

well there are right the song is horrible. if I didn`t know the original I`d think bon jovi are a horrible band. and after all it`s nothing new that other musicians say bad things about BJ